Anyone here have a UBAC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2006, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a C/S with DS because he was breech and the docs refused to consider a vaginal breech. I want a UC for my next one. Of course, everybody at every site but this one thinks I'm nuts and that I'm going to rupture and bleed out and of course I won't be able to call 911 because I'll be unconscious and bleeding and DH won't know anything is wrong so he won't call and the baby and I will both die. : (This was actually seriously said to me!)

I'm not pregnant yet (PCOS) but I'm looking for encouragement I guess. Anybody BTDT?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are quite a few UBAC stories at www.unassistedchildbirth.com. I've read a few where the women has had 3 or 4 c/s prior to their ubac.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:05 AM

you're not going to rupture or bleed out

trust
Old 08-04-2006, 08:49 AM

I had planned a UBA2C with Esther Ro, but I went to the hospital after 36 hours of labor with her totally occiput posterior. I was in pain, I was tired...Not really trying to make excuses, though I can say looking back on it I might as well have just stuck things out. Everything went 100% fine while I was at home and mostly fine after I went to the hospital. The closest thing I had to an issue was a bit of heavy bleeding immediately postpartum, but even in the hospital that was handled by watchfulness and nothing else. (I apparently have a smallish uterine fibroid, which I know can contribute to the heavy bleeding, so it's not something you should even think of worrying about.)

It can be done successfully, obviously, and I daresay you've got a better chance of being successful at home than at 99% of hospitals. I seem to have really lucked out with Kapi'olani; I've since heard from more than one woman in essentially my same situation who wound up with repeat c-section! (By my situation, I mean OP baby and very long labor.)

The way I look on it is this. You can always do what I did and decide it is better for you if you go to the hospital. You cannot, however, be at the hospital and walk out when you decide you'd rather be at home!

ETA: I want to be VERY clear. Since everything was fine for me at the hospital, I can say without a moment's hesitation that it would have been fine at home too. You are safer at home.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 08-04-2006, 08:53 AM

I have had two sections, first for breech and section for low AFI at term. I am due at the beginning of September with a little boy

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:45 AM

nak

My first 2 children were born by C-section. My last two were UC births. : I will find my first UC birthstory and post a link. I haven't finished my second UC story yet. Baby dd was born 3.5 weeks ago.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 08-04-2006, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats, Aurora! I hope you post pics!!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 08-04-2006, 11:59 AM

My Chloe was a UBAC after having Malachi at home with a midwife. This one with most likely be a UBAC as well. I had strong instincts during the last couple weeks with Chloe... just knew I was supposed to have her unassisted. And honestly, I was never for it before. DH was though. So thats how I knew it was meant to be. This time... I just haven't had much pull yet. So I have a midwife lined up for where we are moving next week and she knows I may decide to go UC again. I am starting to have UC leanings again so I can't imagine it will end up midwife assisted. After having a UC it's hard to imagine anyone else at your birth.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Hopefully any day now!!!

I feel that the safest place for me and my baby is at home. After lots of research, rupture isn't any more concern (meaning I don't fear it actually happening) to me than prolapsed cord or any other rare-but-serious complication.
Lots of people don't understand that repeat c/s is more dangerous than VBAC, and that a VBAC is safest and most likely to "succeed" when it's a HBAC or (my opinion) UBAC. No drugs, stimulants, nervous attendants, etc. to mess with the process.
My advice would be to avoid talking to unsupportive people! Little doubts creep in easily that way! There's no reason why you'd be less suitable to have a UC or homebirth or plain ole vaginal birth than anyone else, so don't listen to those fear mongers.
Good luck with TTC and whatever birth path you choose!
Old 08-04-2006, 09:38 PM

I am planning a UBAC in March, I am facing the same critiscisms as you are but alot more vile and nasty. There will be 3 years nearly exactly between my daughter and this baby
I have my fears sometimes but thats more because of society, everything in me is screaming to go UC, as it was with my daughter, but this time I am not ignoring it...
Old 08-06-2006, 12:42 AM

I'm planning a UBAC less than a year after my section! I must be super-crazy.

I face constant criticism at the idea that I'm evening planning a VBAC, let alone at home! People are convinced my uterus will explode.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 08-06-2006, 04:31 AM

Well, yeah but I just call it a birth I also have PCOS and have conceived my children without drugs. It took a little patience maybe (2 yrs and 2m/c for my son and about 18 months for my daughter) but all good things take time. My second birth also took time so I can tell you there was no rupture after 50+ hours of mostly very intense, strong and active labour. We heal just great, don't we?!

How about just planning a birth? Amazing what reframing can do for your confidence!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:44 PM

You are much safer at home. Pitocin, Prostaglandin gel, and Cytotec can casue uterine rupture among other problems. Most Complications happen because of hospitals.

User Tag List