Thank you, I'm off to read it now!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 81 Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Midwife appt went ok. Turns out my fluid is totally normal ( hmmm surprise surprise) and though I normally don't do this I asked her to give me an internal because dp and I are having a hard time finding my cervix. I just had to know... 2cm's dialated and VERY soft she said. That was encouraging

We were honest about our plans to UC and she and her other 2 partners were totally cool with it. They are concerned though about my blood pressure which is the only disappointing thing that came out of the visit. MY bp has risen for the first time in my pregnancy from 140/90 to 160/100 More about that in a sec. They decided to officially "release me from their care" just to cover their asses so I can call them when I have the babe to do a pp/newborn check if I want to. They said they're totally fine with that They're CNM's so they're sort of bound a little more tightly by the law than direct entry or CPM's.

I obviously have PIH. Nothing seems to be working... epsom salt soaks,extra magnesium and calcium, Apple Cider Vinegar, Passion flower tincture with skull cap etc. Nothing. DP checked again today and it's the same now, still 160/100. The midwife recommended going back to the medwife practice and getting a script so that I won't have to worry about it being an issue during the birth. I just don't know what to think or do at this point. I want to be safe but I also know that those drugs are very controversial in pregnancy and breastfeeding and you can't just stop them cold turkey.

I'm going to post seperately about this to get more responses ... but do any of you have wisdom or expereince with high bp during pregnancy or delivery? I'm beside myself because I just can't imagine going to the hospital and it's REALLY stressing me out which I know isn't helping.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#63 of 81 Old 09-17-2006, 01:06 AM

Milkimommi, by any chance are you a larger woman and are they using a regular size bp cuff on you? That will give abnormaly high readings....just a thought...
#64 of 81 Old 09-20-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby View Post
Thank you, I'm off to read it now!!!
Me too!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#65 of 81 Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog View Post
Milkimommi, by any chance are you a larger woman and are they using a regular size bp cuff on you? That will give abnormaly high readings....just a thought...

Or, if they pump it up to more than 30 mmhg over what you normally read. My BP is usually pretty low (90/60s) and the Student midwife would pump the Hg up to 160 or so. That will give a false high, as will the too small cuff, taking it too soon in succession.

BTW, Hey y'all, My *due* date is the 26, but both DSs were born at almost 41 so, I"m not holding my breath. I have a feeling that baby will be here before the end of the month, but who knows
#66 of 81 Old 09-20-2006, 05:24 PM

So gals... how did you like the site? Do you know how your babes are placed?

Mine is one the move but has remained head down... just moving from left to right all of the time...
I have a chiro appt tonight and I can't wait... I haven't been for about 3 weeks now... it is going to feel so good!

I was wondering about soemthing... is anyone going to see a doctor or nurse after the birth... I am not talking about right after but a few days after...
Anyways... I was at a press conference today (to talk about breastfeeding week to the local press) and the head nurse of the family Unit at the hospital was there and I asked her about having a nurse come do a home visit after the birth to check on weight and she was completely on board with it... I was a bit scared to talk to her about a UC but she didn't even flinch... she did ask if I was going seeing a MW for prenatals and then when I said no she made a "no-no" kind of face... but then I told her that I was checking urine, bp, hb, measuring etc at home (I didn't tell her that I don't do it often) and then she had a complete turn around... she asked me about a few more things but was competely fine with my answers..
Anyways... one of the nurses that does home visits was there too and she was really cool and I hope that she is the one that comes... she is probably younger than me.. and was completely in awe of me having a UC and had tons of questions...
the other nurse that was there.... well.... I felt like kicking her... but she doesn't do home visits....

Anyways... having someone come will be nice for me to check the weight (I don't have a good scale) and to get all the freebies that they give out
I am still wondering about doing the PKU... it is on thing that I am a bit afraid of since I do know someone that had the disorder... Please give me more info on the test if you know about it... (can't search for PKU on the forums)... is anyone doing this test?
I do want to do the other newborn screening test that is done at 21 days because again I know someone who's dd's disorder was caught with that one and because they knew she was able to keep thing under control from the start.. (it is completely non-invasive anyways... just catch a pee and soak the pad or put the pad in a diaper)

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#67 of 81 Old 09-20-2006, 05:59 PM

Well, my pain levels have gone down! Woohoo!

Right now I'm sick for the second time in a month and I am pretty miserable because of it! : I can go years without a cold and now I have two in a month?!!? I'm so mad!

Baby has been posterior for weeks. I cannot get her to turn. This is probably also due to the fact that I can't sleep laying down. Severe heartburn and esophogeal damage prevent that.
I've tried taking a Zantac and that helps, but I'd hate to take them every night, kwim? So I have to sleep sitting up or reclined, which is bad for fetal positioning.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#68 of 81 Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

The day I went to the spinningbabise website I think the baby was LOA but has since moved and I haven't had a chance to figure it out how that baby is positioned now.
I plan on having the midwife I'm seeing come after the baby is born and weigh her/him and do the newborn check up.
I do think I'll get the PKU done, one of my friend's dd has it (she's grown now). There was some good info about it in the vax forum but I tried to find it and can't. I have never even heard of the pee test can you give me more info on that?

Littleteapot, that really sucks about the heartburn. But I'm glad the pain has gone away, that's really great news!

#69 of 81 Old 09-20-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I have never even heard of the pee test can you give me more info on that?
I just read a little more about it.... it seems that there are not many places that does it...

Quote:
* a few health services have adopted the urinary screening that is done around the 3rd week of life from a filter paper containing a urine spot taken from a damp diaper. The dried filter paper is mailed to the screening centre by the parents.
* this urinary screening test was initiated in the Province of Quebec in the early seventies; it is one of the few programs that exist in the world. It allows the early detection of organic acid disorders, or other disorders which could have been missed by the blood tests done during the first week of life if the protein intake was insufficient to reveal a metabolic block.
http://atlasgeneticsoncology.org/Edu...ID30056ES.html
It is really a non-invasive test so I really don't mind doing it... especially when some of the disorders can't be seen at first and can be controlled very well with diet... I just can't see any disadvantage with that one.. though I still have trouble with the PKU test being very invasive...

~paxye~
#70 of 81 Old 09-20-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post
Baby has been posterior for weeks. I cannot get her to turn. This is probably also due to the fact that I can't sleep laying down. Severe heartburn and esophogeal damage prevent that.
I've tried taking a Zantac and that helps, but I'd hate to take them every night, kwim? So I have to sleep sitting up or reclined, which is bad for fetal positioning.
I;m so sorry to hear about the HB... that really sucks... this is the first pregnancy that I have had reflux and it makes it so hard at times... I feel so lucky that it isn't all of the time...

I would try to keep goo positions during the day to help bring that baby anterior... sit backwards on a chair and lean forwards a bit, sit on an excersise/birthing ball, always sit as upright as possible, if you can lay down lay on your left side etc...

Of course... sometimes babe stays posterior whatever you do.. I had two lie that....

~paxye~
#71 of 81 Old 09-21-2006, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

If the urine test was offered around here I would definitely do it, it is completely non-invasive and checks for so much (from reading your link paxye). I'm going to ask my midwife if she knows anything about it but I have a feeling it just isn't done here.

#72 of 81 Old 09-21-2006, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to one thread I was able to find on MDC about the
pku test.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=228421

#73 of 81 Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 PM

Yep... I'm chunky Not severly huge but chubby and my arms just border needing the bigger cuff. So sometimes I've had it and others not. At home I have both but have a hard time even GETTING a reading with the large one for some reason. I always try both though and when I can get one with the bigger cuff it's generally the same as the average one. However, I KNOW for a fact that the midwife that was taking it at the end was pumping it up waaaaay too far. It was making my hand blow up and feel like it would explode with veins sticking out and everything! Oy.

In case some of you haven't seen my other thread on the bp issues I'm happy to say that I've been successful in bringing it down from it's highest point of about 170ish/115 to 140/90!!! That is what my normal bp has been. I'm still continuing what I'm up to to keep it either stable or let it come down more. I'm just sort of giving my body a hand and trusting that it'll reach whatever stable point it needs to

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#74 of 81 Old 09-21-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkymommi View Post

In case some of you haven't seen my other thread on the bp issues I'm happy to say that I've been successful in bringing it down from it's highest point of about 170ish/115 to 140/90!!! That is what my normal bp has been. I'm still continuing what I'm up to to keep it either stable or let it come down more. I'm just sort of giving my body a hand and trusting that it'll reach whatever stable point it needs to
So glad you got your BP down!!!!

As far as fetal positioning goes, this baby is all over the place!! It's flipping from side to side......ouch!: I'm getting some serious pressure on my pelvic floor the past 2 days, even my lower tummy.....feels like the babe is going to tear its way through my muscles!!! getting up or sitting down is an art form!!! I must be pretty entertaining to watch!! lolol I've been pretty *juicey* since the pressure began, had some slight blood tinged thick mucus last night. I am peeing every 20 minutes, guess this baby engaged, no more head bowncing from inside, pretty darn solid and right there.

Now if I could just stay up long enough to clean my house a bit, I don't like the idea of birthing baby into a messy house!! I guess I should get my butt off the computer and start now!!
#75 of 81 Old 09-22-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Here is a link to one thread I was able to find on MDC about the
pku test.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=228421
Thanks so much!!! I"m off to read it...

~paxye~
#76 of 81 Old 09-23-2006, 08:47 PM

Well... I am a bit down today...

I crushed my toe under a big rocking chair on thursday morning and tore my whole nail off.. I am in pain and it doesn't seem to be getting better yet... I need to change the bandage every day and after I do the pain is so much worse.... I want to let it air dry but having it in the open air is even worse for now...

After that happened I met with a doula... I wanted to have another woman that has been through birth with me when I go into labour...
I really do like to be alone in labour but if I need something or someone I would like to have that option and if DH is with the kids and they need him then he can't be there for me...
also... if I go into labour while DH is at work and labour is fast then it will be just me and the kids since it can take about 3 hours for DH to get home if he doesn't get the express bus which runs only during the evening rush hour...
So I wanted to see if I could find someone to help with the kids or little things that I would needand who would be able to get here quicker than DH would if he is at work and I needed help...

Anyways... I met with the doula and she was really nice... however, there were a few things that bothered me... the main thing was that while she was here I started to get really stuffed up, my eyes started watering and after she left I had an asthma attack... when I thought about it I realized that it was just a mild form of the usual reaction that I have when I am with someone who smokes (just what is on their clothes is enough to trigger it)...

I e-mailed her the day after and asked her if she or someone in her household smoked and told her about the reaction that I had had.... then she responded that both her and her husband did : so she is out....

I had though of two friends before but now I am not too sure about them... I love them and would feel very comfortable having them here but they both work and have time limits and they are both a bit scared of the whole UC aspect... they also live far and would not be able to be here soon either...
So as much as I would be comfortable having them in my home while I am giving birth, I would not feel the need to occupy them and I would not be shy to ask things of them etc... If someone is in my house during the birth I need them to be strong and comforable and know that they will not panic...

Anyways.... I guess I am just mourning the fact that I do not have many likeminded women in my life, especially since I moved...

~paxye~
#77 of 81 Old 09-23-2006, 10:04 PM

Well things are going well with me, 18 weeks or so at the moment, uterus is above my belly button now. I have been getting a fair bit of uterus pain at the moment, was expecting pain as it is my first long term pregnancy since my c-section but not like this, either that or I am having braxton hicks and not really noticing. Had a few vomitting episodes, and nausea but thats about it. Major twin thinking going on, but I suppose we will see
#78 of 81 Old 09-23-2006, 10:21 PM
L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
Oh man, I have a terrible time getting to sleep! I have RLS SO bad!
My husband has RLS (I know... its so strange for a man to have it...)

We have started grating ginger root into a pot of boiling water... when it cools off enough, he soaks his feet in it for about half and hour, right before bed. When we do this, he has no problems with RLS!

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#79 of 81 Old 09-23-2006, 10:23 PM
L J

I have a question for y'all. I'm around 23/24 weeks right now, and when I feel Henry, he is always way low- way below my belly button. I'm very short (5'1") and short waisted... so I don't really understand how he can stay this low. This is going to sound so stupid, but I hear women talking about where there uterus is... how in the world do I know that? Any links anyone?

#80 of 81 Old 09-24-2006, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
I have a question for y'all. I'm around 23/24 weeks right now, and when I feel Henry, he is always way low- way below my belly button. I'm very short (5'1") and short waisted... so I don't really understand how he can stay this low. This is going to sound so stupid, but I hear women talking about where there uterus is... how in the world do I know that? Any links anyone?
At 23/24 weeks the very top of your uterus is probably only just barely over your navel. All the kicks you are going to feel will be low and that's normal. They won't be high until your uterus is high, and it grows as the baby does so it's not going to reach a really high point until you're well into your third trimester.
(FTR, I'm also 5' and short waisted due to pituitary dwarfism, but that doesn't effect the size and growth pattern of your uterus).

You can tell where your uterus is by laying on your back and starting to feel around with your fingers. Your uterus will be harder than the rest of you and you'll feel where it kind of 'drops off' after a point.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#81 of 81 Old 09-24-2006, 04:36 AM
L J

Babs,
Thank you SO much! I guess sometimes we all need to hear "yes, you are normal". I'm off to find my uterus! Thank you again!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page