I'm finally back, and I have a baby!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all.
So sorry I wasn't able to post for so long. I ended up with a hospital transfer, and they kept my baby girl "hostage" until Friday.
BTW she was born 15 days "late" but was only 7lbs 15 oz, and was 20.75 inches long. Just perfect!!

Here is a quick overview of what happned. I went into labor saturday (Sep 2) morning, about 4:00 AM.
I spent the day with my husband running errands, tidying the house, and trying to ignore the mild contractions. Things picked up throughout the day, and by 3:00PM I was having very regular ctx about 3-5 min. apart. We had my friend and her husband over, and played games, and made pizza. Everything seemed to stop for a few seconds when those ctx came though. They helped my DH and I set up the pool, and I was able to lean on one of them whenever they hit,and that was good. ctx got really strong and I sent my friend home around 8:00 PM.

Things got stonger, and more and more intense, but the ctx were never something that was unmanageable.
We were never able to use the pool, it was either too hot or too cold when I wanted to use it.
Finally around midnight the ctx were 1 and 1/2 min apart, and about 75 sec long. I really felt that transition was coming soon. I started to feel pressure in my bum, and I was thinking to myself that this must be the beginning of the end.
Around 2:00 AM I had a funny feeling. I asked my husband if we could have a prayer, and afterwards we both felt very strongly that I needed to go to the hospital. Physically, I was fine, everything was going as it should have, but I knew that something felt wrong deep inside, something wasn't right.

We decided to gather some things, and get ready to leave. It took 20 minutes to get things together, adn during that time I had only one ctx. that was very mild. The 10 min car ride I only had one ctx. and they were getting much more mild. My labor was slowing to stop.
I went to the ER and told them I was in labor. They wheeled me up to labor and delivery, and about 25 min later they checked my dilation. I was only 1 and 1/2 cm!
I know I was much further along before, I guess my body just closed up until we could get help.
They took my BP and it was a little high, They didn't seem worried, but they checked my reflexes. They said that my reflexes were extremely sharp, and that it was something they would want to monitor, because it could implicate preeclampsia.
I will never forget the next part. The nurse said "You haven't had any unusual swelling, or headache, or visual floaty disturbances have you?" she said it in this precautionary manner, and I could tell she didn't expect me to say yes. I said that I had had the floaty visual disturbances for more than a month. (I thought it was a normal part of being pregnant) At that point I knew I had preeclampsia. They took blood, and they told me that they wanted to put me on magnesium sulfate.
I am very glad I was educated on the interventions that might occur, and that I knew which ones led to others.
Magnesium sulfate often stops labor. (although mine seemd to have slowed on it's own) I knew that could lead to Pitocin, and eventually if things didn't progress, on to a C-sec

Finally at 9:00 Pm on sunday after a few interventions I knew would come, I ended up having that C-section.
I do know it is possible that it was "unecessesary" but I felt that with the circumstances being what they were, it was the right choice for me and my baby. It just wasn't worth the risk.
The C-sec wasn't anything like what I expected. It was fine!!I would rather have another c-sec than have another root canal!!

We were supposed to be able to go home 48 hours after delivery, but the night before discharge, my daughter got a fever, and they had to do a blood culture, and wait another 48 hours. (it was that or give her a spinal tap....I said no way!!)
Anyway, we are home now, and she is the most beautiful thing in the world.

I'm not sad that I didn't have my UC. I did exactly what I set out to do. I stayed at home until I needed to go to the hospital. I had hoped that I wouldn't have needed to, but I did, so I am okay with that.
It's funny, I think that all the people who were opposed to me having this UC actually will be more supportive of my choice in the future because I did end up going to the hospital.
The big thing everyone said was that I wouldn't be able to tell if something was wrong, and somethimes there were no symptoms, and I was going to kill my baby blah blah blah....
But I did it. I knew something wasn't right, and I got help. I proved to them that I could tell that something was wrong, and was able to get help. If I had had a successful UC they could just say that I was lucky, but now they have to agree, it wasn't a bad choice, and everything turned out as it should.

Don't be sad for me, I have the world's cutest baby!!! I am happy, and I am not disapointed. I learned so much about myself, and i have grown in ways that I cannot ever explain. I needed to end up at the hosptial to learn these things. I know that God's hand is in my life, and that if I trust in him, he knows what is best.
Thank you all for your wonderful support. I know that planning a UC was right for me, and the encouragement, and love I recieved here has had a deep impact on my life.

~Moose
#2 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 07:25 AM

Good for you. What a beautiful birth story. Congratulations!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#3 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 10:21 AM

Congratulations! Enjoy your baby!

Mag. is tough stuff to be on, BTDT!
#4 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 11:31 AM

Your story brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad that you and your new little one are okay. Congratulations and enjoy!!

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#5 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 11:51 AM

Hello, I am new here and I didn't really know which chat to go to dicuss this, so I hope it is okay to ask here. I just found out that I had group B strep, which I know is very common. The dicision I am trying to make now is rather to have the antibiotics or not. I have thought about just waiting to see if I had any of the high risk factors during labor or not. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
#6 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 11:51 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome baby girl!!!

I think one of the postive things about planning a UC is being intuned thus knowing if you need outside help!!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#7 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 11:54 AM

Congratulations and Happy Babymooning!

It's so cool that you knew something wasn't right and acted on it. Good for you.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#8 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 12:09 PM

congrats moose.. you did what your body told you to do.. your story brought tears to my eyes.......... i now have faith in my body.. that it will tell me what to do... Thank you

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#9 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 12:12 PM

Congrats Moose! And welcome to the world Baby Moose!

So glad you followed your instincts!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#10 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 PM

Congrats
heres some info on how to handle toxemia for next time.

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/toxemia.html
#11 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 12:35 PM

Thank you so much for coming in and letting us know! Congratulations on your beautiful little girl! What a nice size too, just perfect. It was so nice to hear how you felt God directed you and showed you whta you needed. He is very good.

You forgot to tell us her name!!

You are amazing and I am so happy to hear how you just knew what you needed and that you were treated respectfully.

Love,
leslie
#12 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 02:54 PM

Congrats! I admire your ability to listen to your intuition and do what you and your baby needed most.
#13 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 04:41 PM

: :
#14 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 06:00 PM

glad everything was okay...just curious, did you *suspect* you had pre-eclampsia? Did you know the whole month your were having them that the visual disturbances were not normal, or did you think they were normal, up until the nurse informed you they weren't?
did you have other signs/symptoms of pre-e?
I know there is some ...ahem....disagreement as to whether or not pre-e is "preventable", i.e, caused by poor nutrition, or "unavoidable"....were you following a speccial pregnancy nutrition plan? Were you eating a "brewer" or high protein type diet?

I'm also confused about the need for the C/S.....not questioning your choice, but simply asking why? I'm not very well informed on pre-e, and i *thought* that the "cure" for it was to deliver the baby? If you were in labor and going to have the baby anyway, I guess i am confused as to why the sudden need to go to the hospital, have interventions, and ultimately a C/S.......was it because your BP went dangerously high all of a sudden and the baby had to come out right that second?
Again, I'm not questioning your choices or criticising you...I just like to know things, LOL! I too am a UC'er, and like to be as informed as possible, so I can make the best decisions possible.....

Congrats!

CPST
#15 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 06:40 PM

welcome to your little one moose =) Thanks for coming back and letting us know what happened! Sheesh mama, we were on pins and needles! Take care of yourself, lots of healing vibes coming your way!

Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#16 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 06:45 PM

I think she was saying the c-sec was due to the domino effect. I'm curious too, but I'm sure right now she just wants to think about recovery and focusing on her baby, not analyzing the events of her birth.

Congratulations, Moose! I'm glad to know you're both doing well.
#17 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 07:10 PM

Yay!!! Congrats and welcome baby!
#18 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 07:30 PM

Congratulations! That is wonderful that you were directed to do what was right for you and the baby. I'm so glad everyone is fine and healthy!
#19 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 07:34 PM

Congratulations on your baby!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#20 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 07:52 PM

Congratulations on your new baby and kudos for following your instincts! Does baby moose have a name? Wishing you an easy, speedy recovery.

Laura

Mama to 01/2008 and anxiously awaiting due July 2011
#21 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I had the C-sec because The Magnesium Sulfate they gave me to prevent seizures caused labor to stop, and the baby was not doing so well with pitocin. Poor little kid. She couldn't handle the induced contractions, and her heartrate would plummet after each contraction.
They had to keep stopping the pitocin, and were never able to give me enough to get labor going. My baby and I were both in distress. I had to be monitored, and of course couldn't be in any positions that were actually comfortable. (that's the hospital for you ) We were both going downhill fast.

As for the preeclampsia, I had no idea that I had it. I knew I had gained a lot of weight, and I knew I had the "floaties", I also knew that I had a lot of swelling, but I thought you had to have high BP with preeclampsia. I had been monitoring it quite closely. I had been having regular OB appts. too. They had no idea either. My blood pressure had been normal. I also had these really nasty tremors. They started at the beginning of labor, and got worse until they gave me the mag. after about an hour of mag, I could actually see my ankles again. wow. anyhow.

My sister had pregnancy induced hypertension, and it was incorrectly diagnosed as preeclampsia, when they gave her the mag her BP dropped so low that she could have died. Later she ended up with a C-sec, and because her BP was so low, she hemmoraged. She is really lucky she didn't die.

My BP was 150s over 100's (120s over 70s is normal) My sister's was 180s over 120s. a lot higher, but she didn't have preeclampsia.
After the birth I asked them to take me off the mag a few hours early. My BP went back to my pre-pregnancy BP of 130s over high 70s (I'm a little overweight, so that had been pretty normal for me)

I guess it just proved to me that if the mag didn't drop my BP too low, and it did my sister's, and she had a higher BP, then I must have had Preeclampsia.

I don't know anything about preeclampsia being preventable, or anything like that. I wasn't on any special diet except an "intuitive eating" plan, where you just listen to your body (not your cravings, your actual body needs) it works for me.

~Moose
#22 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 08:01 PM

Thanks for sharing your birth story!
I also had a c-section, an emergency one, and I also never felt sorry. I too have the cutest baby in the world!
Enjoy your baby!

:Mama to 2 :
#23 of 28 Old 09-09-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

I also forgot to mention that the tremors I had been having could have been
"pre seizures" it was a little scary to think that they may have been the beginning of eclampsia. Preeclampsia is exactly that preeclampsia
Eclampsia is seizures that can get so bad that they kill mother and baby. Once they start it is often difficult to stop them. The idea with preeclampsia is that you stop it before it gets to the real emergency. Preeclampsia can't hurt you, but it leads to eclampsia and that is truly life threatening.

I know most doctors overeact and intervene at the tiniest chance of preeclampsia, but they don't want to take the risk. If I had been having floaties for only a few days, or if I hadn't been swelling, I probably would have declined the Mag, but I knew the second they mentioned the floaties, I knew, I had had this funny feeling that something wasn't right, but I figured my BP was good, so i was fine right? Wrong.
Again I say it is possible that all these interventions were "unneccesary" but in my personal case, it just wasn't worth the risk. I had been swelling like crazy and been trembly for over 2 months, and had the floaties for more than a month. That is severe preeclampsia. My baby and I were both in danger, and labor was making me fatigued which can make The preeclampsia worse.

We were in danger. I can't say what is right or wrong for anyone else, but I can say that I consider my situation to have been an emergency.

~Moose
#24 of 28 Old 09-10-2006, 05:24 AM

All I know is that if in your prayer time you were shown to go to the hospital, that was the best decision. Who knows what the outcome COULD have been? In your situation, I'm sure it was the best decision.

Every day the last few days I kept saying to my husband, "Kungfumoose hasn't been on yet, she must have had her baby!" I kept checking MDC obsessively looking! Congratulations! How exciting to be a mommy, right?

Can't wait to see some pictures!
#25 of 28 Old 09-10-2006, 05:34 AM

Congratulations! I am glad you feel so good about everything that is what is important. You made the best decision for yourself and your baby at the time and you feel good about your birth and you have a beautiful baby! Great work mama! Can't wait to hear all about her. Enjoy your babymoon!
Wendi
#26 of 28 Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Banned

i think what is really wonderful about this birth story is that there is a strong sense of listening to and trusting yourself while making decisions and being knowledgeable and prepared for what was to come once you go to the hospital. So you felt knowledgeable and empowered, ready to 'do what it takes' to protect yourself and your baby.

Congratulations!
#27 of 28 Old 09-11-2006, 07:21 AM

Oh, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#28 of 28 Old 09-11-2006, 07:41 AM

You are an awesome intuitive mama! Yay for you for listening to your body and your baby and doing what was right FOR YOU! That is what UCing is all about! It's really all about getting in tune and listening and going from there. You rock and I'm so glad that you had a positive experience no matter where it occurred! Congratulations to you and happy babymoon to you and your darling babe!

Namaste, Tara

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page