Fundal Height - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Due to recent problems with my illegal midwife coming under too much scrutiny by the hospital-folk, we are now doing without the benefit of either a doctor or a midwife. I don't give a rat's patootie about the doc--they don't do anything here anyway except an US every visit and collect your money. After my doc came up with the same BP reading (far lower than my usual) at each visit, I have my doubts about her ability with that as well, so I refuse to pay for substandard care, especially when I'd rather be seeing my MW.

So I have decided to do as much of my own prenatal care as possible, weighting, measuring, BPing, assessing, etc. Everything this morning was fine (BP 116/74, weight 135# or 61.2kg, UTA fetal heart tones) except for fundal height measurement--that came out at 14.5 cm. Had DH double check it for me--same thing. At 20 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see 18cm, but 14.5 seems waaaay too short to me. I am petite, 5'2" and all my height is in my legs (short torso), but I don't remember being so far "off" with my first (although 13 years was a long time ago). I am measuring first thing in the morning, empty bladder, with a standard tape measure, from the pubic bone crescent to the palpable top of the fundus, which is just at the lower rim of my belly-button. Dates are accurate by LMP and early US, baby is very active, and even though I can't hear FHT with stethoscope yet, I hear placental noise in LLQ. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 05:39 AM

Do you have any concerns? Other than following standardised measuring tools, do you feel that there is a problem... my uterus is measuring 4-6 weeks ahead of where 'it should be' but my dates are perfect, baby is very active and I feel like the top of the world!

From what you have said your uterus sounds like its in the 'right' place, 20 weeks is usually aprox at the belly button which from what you have said

Suggestions, just relax, unless you feel something is up. It sounds like you are right on target
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 AM

it's right where it should be.. i don't think the size matches teh weeks until between week 25- or 30? I forget as I did UP last pregnancy, i am sure some midwife could comment. but yeah, at the belly button at 20 weeks.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 10-16-2006, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I agree with PPs... sounds right on to me. My midwife didn't measure fundal height until 24 weeks. Before that, she just felt where it was in relation to my belly button.

And I think when I was around that time frame or a tad earlier, I did, for fun, measure my fundal height, and it was ridiculously low compared to how many weeks I was at the time. But when measuring it at 24+ weeks, I've always been right on or a bit ahead (my goal is a 9 lb baby ).

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 10-16-2006, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
at 20 weeks, typically the top of the uterus is at the bellybutton. sometimes it's a few fingers higher, sometimes lower.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:13 PM

Babies like to hide, they can go deep inside, and you have to take in count the lie of the little one. Dont worrie, just like all babies on the outside grow at different rates so do the ones inside.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

Old 10-16-2006, 02:06 PM

has your uterus filled out a bit wider recently? what I see is initally the growth goes upward then fills out then up again-- if you consider that your uterus starts out truly about the size of a pear there is alot of room to grow both up and outward... just look for growth and change-- have you been feeling movement?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great responses. No, I don't have any heartfelt concerns, nothing worrying me about it at all, no deep fears, just kind of a "wondering." DH asked me the same thing, "Is this something that you are really worried about?" Gotta love him, he's so down-to-earth with all this. My uterus is palpable, as is baby. Lots of growth--you can tell in the morning that he's grown during the night, LOL. Lots of movement, nothing to be alarmed about, really. I vaguely remembered the guidlines being something like 18 cm at 18 wks, then 1 cm per week until 38 weeks, and then it drops down again as the presenting part engages. Maybe I remembered it wrong--I do have the usual Swiss-cheese pregnant brain. ;-)

Just for grins, I decided to measure from top of pubic crescent to xyphoid process--turns out that it's a mere 33cm right now. Where is that baby supposed to go? LMAO! Last baby was 7# 13 oz and 22 inches long!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
Where is that baby supposed to go? LMAO! Last baby was 7# 13 oz and 22 inches long!

My DS was 7#14 oz and 21.5" My DD was 10#2 oz and 22.5".... Apparantly there is a TON more space there than we think!!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 10-17-2006, 12:17 AM

so I don't start paying attention to measure until 20 weeks or so-- and regardless of measure you are at your belly button which would be the normal "landmark" for 20 weeks- you feel plenty of movement which is fitting- plenty of growth also good .

so let me think about how I measure- start at the top of the pubic bone the measuring tape end touches the bone or if the tape has some leader on it I put that at the top /touching the pubic bone then I pull the tape up and cup the top of the uterus with my hand- and the tape goes over the curve of the uterus at the top and around some- so looking down at what number is under my pinky finger --- hard to say wait awhile and see if the growth is consistent but just lower numbers- you want about 1 cm a week--
Old 10-17-2006, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
so I don't start paying attention to measure until 20 weeks or so-- and regardless of measure you are at your belly button which would be the normal "landmark" for 20 weeks- you feel plenty of movement which is fitting- plenty of growth also good .

so let me think about how I measure- start at the top of the pubic bone the measuring tape end touches the bone or if the tape has some leader on it I put that at the top /touching the pubic bone then I pull the tape up and cup the top of the uterus with my hand- and the tape goes over the curve of the uterus at the top and around some- so looking down at what number is under my pinky finger --- hard to say wait awhile and see if the growth is consistent but just lower numbers- you want about 1 cm a week--
That's just how I do it, so probably not my technique. Interestingly, I woke up this morning and he was moving and kicking enough to set off a BH cxn, so I found the fundus easily enough. Overnight, it's risen to the top rim of my bellybutton.

Side note: It's amazing how empowering this is, to take control of my own care. The last time I was pregnant I had no knowledge of anything. With this one, I've been a nurse for quite a while, assisted in other women's care, assessed mothers and babies, tag-along home visits, etc. Even when I'm not sure about what I'm finding (as with the fundal height), it's so empowering to know that *I* am the one who is doing this. It's my responsibility and it feels awesome!

User Tag List