Complete Placenta Previa - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I am 21 weeks with #4. Three weeks ago I went to a local MW (was planning going UC again) in Houston before the move here to Oklahoma. I had been having vaginal cramping with no bleeding. She said I did have a thin cervix but it was closed. After I got here it just got worse so last Friday I fianlly drug my butt to the OB, U/S showed a complete placenta previa. I know these things generally resolve as the uterus grows. BUT the baby is alot less active than my others have been at this age (yes I'm sure I'm this far along) and U/S did show baby to be about 4 weeks smaller with organs to small to even scan properly. I know the scans are not accurate BUT I already "knew" this baby was not ok all on my own. Sooooooooo my thought is, I can't just lay around (since I am now on bed rest officially, not just self perscribed) and wait for it to "move" up over time so baby can get the better blood supply and start growing better. I need to be procative, if for no other reason than my own sanity. This OB/DR office BS already has me postal and I've only been twice. It's stressing me out beyond all belife. I am pissed off at even needing to BE at the drs office. I don't want this, I want to have a pg like last time. I did UP/UC and it was blissfull even though I had to put myself on bed rest at 23 weeks for pretern labor (that did respond to herbs, I've had this with all my babes). I am having nightmares about a hospital birth (#1 was hospital born at 34 weeks so these are realistic fears not made up ones) I absolutly LOATH the intire medicalization of birth. And the thought of having my body violated by a csec and my baby abducted by hospitla personel for procedures and such makes me want to vomit. I will be that woman who's drug into the ER kicking n' screaming and making the lives of the staff misrable every second I am there because I dont want ANYONE touching MY BABY, leave me the hell alone too while your at it.

I understand I sound histerical but after 3 med free births, 2 of which were homebirths and the last UC, the mear mention of a hospital birth sends me into fits. I nearly tore hte obs office staffs head off today for makingme wait to long, THAT'S how stressed this whole thing has me.

I have begun my hypnobabies homestudy again (did it last time) and have already started the posative affermations, visualizing it already at the top with the nutriant rich blood supply and a thriving baby kicking the hell outta my ribes. Even encouraging baby to gravitate up and drag the darn placenta with it. Baby IS trying, I can tell. lol Anyways, surely there is something herbally, spiritally, whatever, that I can do too. Tell me to pray I'll try it, tell me to dance nekked in the rain, I'll do it, tell me to eat toad soup, I'll think about it. Seriously no suggestion will be to wild or out there for me. I know the placenta doesn't MOVE really, the uterus grows and the placenta migrates up with it. But my fundal height has been 19" since 18 weeks (21 weeks now), I've lost over 23 lbs and my prepregnancy jeans suddenly fit again and my pregnancy jeans (that I HAD to move into at 14 weeks) are falling off my butt. Granted I am about 100 lbs overweight to begin with and it IS normal for me to lose 15 lbs or so durring pg and then wind up about 10 lbs over prepg weight by the end. I eat fine and I have not been sick or anything. I obviously need to be doing something more to work on this situation and help this baby have a better enviroment. Ahhhhh Sorry just going a little crazyhere. I would GREATLY benifite from some Wise Woman words.

TIA,

P.S. I haven't posted in a forever so Hi, I'm Angie WAHM to Corbin 6 yrs, David 4 yrs and Olivia 2 yrs. We do most of the crunchy stuff like no vaxx, no circ, homebirth (obviously since I'm on this forum), cloth dipaer, bf, co-sleep and try to keep health care natural.
#2 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 09:04 PM

Hi Mama!!

The dancing naked sounds like it will help!!!!!!

But seriously, to you for the stress you're going through! Here's what I would do:

*First, I would take a break from the doctor visits. Get away from there and get into yourself.....you can always go again, but for now I'd try to reclaim your body and baby as your own & put those people out of your mind. You're in charge here. It's your decision what you're going to do and it's your body.

*Start drinking some nourishing herbal infusions....red raspberry leaf, nettle, oatstraw, and whatever other plants you are drawn to. They will help to tone your uterus & provide you with vital minerals.

*Get back rubs, foot rubs, and body rubs........from whomever you can bribe into giving them......and during the massage, visualize all the things you need to visualize.

*Can you get in water? Water is so soothing to the mind & body....if pools & tubs are not available, even the shower! I had a large exercise ball I would sit on in the shower till the water ran cold. Let it pound on your back & neck.

*Make good use of your kids - have them rub lotions/oils into your feet & legs....so relaxing!

*Can you connect with this baby yet? Go deep in there....try to listen to what your baby is telling you. What does she/he need?

Remember - the placenta can migrate upwards even during labor!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#3 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

I do belive the nekked dancing should work too.

At this point I've pretty much decided to nix this whole dr mumbo jumbo. I don't have another appt till 11/27 so I have time to decide if I'm cancleing it or not. The U/S is set for Dec11. But I'm almost 100% sure I'm not going. I don't want to subject the baby to anymore U/S. Especially when I trust my body to tell me when it moves and if it doesn't. Once I get the kids off to bed I'm going to settle down with my hypnobabies and get lost for a while.

I actually have my teas seeping now (rrrl, nettles, alfalfa, oat straw and spearmint) lose herbs I mix myself. I've been skipping it as the MW I had planned to do my prenatles here had said she though I should skip it. Long story on why. But I really feel she's mistaken and I need them, so I'm doing it. PLus I'mnot sure I'm even going to use her, takes her a week to return a phone call. Why pay her if she's not there when I need her.

No one here will do massages, but I go to the Chiropractor twice a week and I get to do this roller bed and other stuff that feels like a massage. It takes two hour so MIL keeps the kids. lol

I have a tub, I don't get to use it as much as I'd like to as I'm often too sleepy by the time I get all the kids settled to bother. But when I do do it, it really helps.

Would you belive both my boys think lotion is gross? They also freak out if they get mud on their hands or as I recently learned, pumpkin guts are reason to lose your mind interly and cry for 30 minutes complete with snot bubbles. My DD on the other hand eats the mud and pumpkin guts AND lotion. :

Strangley no, I have not connected AT ALL with the baby yet. So weird as I connected with the other 3 practicly as conception happened. I don't know what's blocking us other than the fact this babe wasn't planned at all, managed to defy all the rules of NFP and nearly didn't implant at all.
But this lack of connecting is 100% on my part as the baby does respond to my requests of if (such as my asking it to swim UP and try dragging the placenta with lol). We did just move from Houston to OK so that was stressful and DH is less than happy that I "let" this happen. As if it's my fault he has super sperm that's capible of fertlizing an egg that shouldn't even be fertle anymore, 4 DAYS after fertle mucas ended. Gesh. Sorry mini rant there. Anyways, that'smy goal right now. Push all else aside and get in touch with this kid. Maybe once we can do that we can work this issue out as then I can help baby understand why it's better for us both if we can encourage this ol placenta to get off my cervix.

I know just about anything can happen durring labor. My last one flipped constantly from breech to transverse the whole pregnancy and then stayed transverse the whole labor till the last moment (after 13 hours) she finally decided to finish the job, flipped, my water broke like a full water ballon from 3 stories up. lol Her labor also began with a gush of blood and mild bleeding the whole labor. Thankfully we were UCing as a MW or OB would have freaked, as I'm now sure she too had a previa to some degree. So I will just have to continue visualizing it being ok and I'm sure it will.

Thanks for the pep talk. I needed it.
#4 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
whew, well one thing to say is that scans of previa at or around 20 weeks are usually wrong- complete previa not as often but still can be wrong- did you see the pictures?
something that helps with placental attachment is vitamin E and I would recommend it
also agree with doing everything you can to be less stressed- as it won't help anyone for you to be over wound. and although you are anticipating now a different birth , wait till way later in pregnancy to get another ultrasound before you have your ideas set in stone.

take care
#5 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

no i did not see the pictures other than what i could see on the scan which i could barley make out the baby as human. lol

Right, Vit E, I'm going to up that for sure.

thanks,

Angie~
#6 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 01:05 AM

OK, I totally don`t belong here, b/c I have to have c/s. But... my 2nd was UP and birth with hands off Lay MW.

Anyway, I just had a complete previa that did move completely up and off the cervix. It was also completely covering my previous c/s scar and I was told I had 20% chance of accreta. Luckily it breezed by my scar too. This was in my 4th pregnancy also. What I did was; I took 200 iu of vitamin E every day (there are recent studies that show some toxicity of too much e in pregnancy, so I would take the lowest dose and then stop it when you think its moved.) I took fish oil too, and put flax seed oil in smoothies. I pictured it smoothly moving with all of this extra oil. The side effect was great skin for the first time! I also just pictured it moving as I fell asleep at night.

If the placenta is on the front wall its more likely to move than if its on the back wall. Also, complete does not necessarily mean that it is centered on the cervix, it can mean any part of it is covering the os. If you feel like it you might want to look at your scans with someone who really can tell you where exactly the bulk of the placenta is. You may prefer not knowing, I can understand that too. In my worries last spring, I found many positive stories, some moved right at the end. The thing is, you are just now at the point where your belly should really start to grow, so it should move soon. Good luck!

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#7 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your post liseux. I'm glade to hear of a complete PP moving up. Mine IS posterior but most of the placenta is on the back, though covering the cervix intirly, but the cervix is a small space compared the the whole size of the placenta. I am intirely confident it will move, it has to, cuz I said so. I'm deffinatly putting vit e and fish oil on my grocery list. If the kids weren't asleep and I didn't live in a 2 horse town thats all closed up by 9 pm, I'd run out n get it now. lol

thanks for your post ladies, it's really helping to refocus my mind.
#8 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
whew, well one thing to say is that scans of previa at or around 20 weeks are usually wrong- complete previa not as often but still can be wrong- did you see the pictures?
Yep. Most scans that early will show some kind of low-lying type of placenta, and as the uterus grows most will be pulled along with the uterine tissue they are attached to, making it seem like the placenta has "moved up".
#9 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 12:27 PM

with my last pregnancy I had a partial previa, at 18 weeks. this was before I decided on UC, so I lost it completely and cried and was an emotional wreck, because I thought it meant a certain c-section.

It took me almost 2 months to calm myself. It was around then, that I decided UC was the only way. After SO much thinking and reflection and meditation, I decided I would not have another U/S unless I started bleeding, and spotting doesnt count.

Well, the end of the pregnancy came, and no bleeding. I spotted once after sex, but that was it. I assume the placenta moved.

What helped me was STOP READING MEDICAL ARTICLES REGARDING PREVIAS. It drove me nuts.
I started finding previa sucess stories.

One of which was a mama with a complete previa, who ended up sceduling a section, and was devastated. And then something told her to have another U/S at 36 weeks. And her placenta had moved from complete and centered on the cervix, to partial. At 37 weeks, it was marginal, and at 38 weeks it was only low-lying. She had a perfect baby by homebirth. She did have some extra bleeding after the birth, so that may be something to prepare for.
Her doctor had thrown a fit, trying to find any possible reason for her to have a hosptial birth, including saying her baby boy had fluid on one testicle, and that was a reason for induction. Pul-ease.

If it were me, I would skip the doctor, and listen to your body.

Is it possible that the stress from all of this has interferred with communication between you and baby?

Best of luck, and most of placenta moving energies!

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#10 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2corbie View Post
No one here will do massages, but I go to the Chiropractor twice a week and I get to do this roller bed and other stuff that feels like a massage. It takes two hour so MIL keeps the kids. lol
Would you belive both my boys think lotion is gross? They also freak out if they get mud on their hands or as I recently learned, pumpkin guts are reason to lose your mind interly and cry for 30 minutes complete with snot bubbles. My DD on the other hand eats the mud and pumpkin guts AND lotion. :

... We did just move from Houston to OK so that was stressful and DH is less than happy that I "let" this happen. As if it's my fault he has super sperm that's capible of fertlizing an egg that shouldn't even be fertle anymore, 4 DAYS after fertle mucas ended. Gesh. Sorry mini rant there. Anyways, that'smy goal right now. Push all else aside and get in touch with this kid.

Oh, the chiroprator is good. THey may know stuff about specifically helping with baby positioning and such too. where they will rub and 'manipulate' your belly. That may help if you ask about it.

LOL about the kids. My DD will play in mud but when we went to gut the pumpkin she got all wierd. she loves to put on lotion though.

Moving can be very stressful especially when pregnant or shortly after (I've done both. The stress of getting it all together then getting it all put away once you are in a new home. WE moved twice while pregnant with #2, the first place was temporary and I knew that but it was still stressful to be there.

And for hubby... sorry he was there too and did not have to 'be there' so it is at least 1/2 his fault. Don't let him blame you for it. We have never really planned any of our kids, especially not this one, but there is always room for one more. There has to be cause this little angel was meant to be ours.

Try to relax and destress as much as possible. You and your baby will make it through this if it is meant to be.
#11 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Irishred, my Chrio is doing stuff, non of which will help hte placenta migrate out right but it's relaxing me so it's all good. lol We moved when my now 2 yr old was 1 month old into our last house. That was FAR more stressfull than this was. I will never wilingly move again with someone under one in my house. I think I just haven't taken the time to conenct with the babay yet. To busy worrieng about otehr things to spend to minutes internalizing. BUt I did just that this morning. So I'm feeling much better.

cravenab00, I've decided I'm just not going to do this medical crap anymore. I knew better and why I allowed myslef to be sucked in my it I'll never know. UGH. Anyways, after much reflextion last night I made up my mind that I'm just not going back and I don't want another US. After getting no call back from the one MW in town after 3 days I decided to forget that too. lol I mean what's the point if she can't be there when I need her. I do however still feel the need to have some prenatle care (female bonding really and I do feel better hearing heart tones) and "maybe" someone else here besides DH for hte birth, but not as a MW, as a doula. I met an apprentice MW on a local crunchy yahoo group last month. She's not certified yet but she can serve my perposes far as prenatles and doula support if I want it when the time comes. She's on board with my line of thinking and supportive of UC. So that's got me feeling tons better, that that option is there should I feel it's right for me. I still think I'll want to UC but have her around in the event I do hemorage more than last time so she can help me deal with it without a transfer. Oh and she does have a back up that I can get an US later if I want and she won't insist I see her regularly to be the back up either. Although they are in Oklahoma City and I'm closer to Tulsa, but it'll be worth it to have a less invasive enviroment, should I want the scan at all that is. Anywho, I'm happy now. Also called up my nutricionist about the vit e and fish oil. she seems to have a hige issue with fish oil, soemhting about it being scraped up off cannery floors so she has me on vit e and flax oil gel caps. Says the flax is better and will do what I need. She also informed me that with her daughter (now 18) she also had a complete placenta previa and after that one dr visit she too could not stand the hoopla and just never went back. Went on to have aperfect healthy baby and she was fien too. This being the woman that cured her own cancer with diet and herbs so I feel pretty good listening to her advice.

Sorry I'm rambling. Just feeling more like myself, in control and rationa (though way to wordy). I'm just going to foucs on my health and connencting with baby (whom told me today that it's a HE and his name is Donovan) and let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

Man,I talk waaaaaaaaaaaay to much. hahaha
#12 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 09:44 PM

Wow, I didn't know all that about previa! (I don't have previa, but it's always nice to know) It's awesome to learn stuff like this. I knew it could move and I know it is possible to have a vaginal birth with previa (read it on unhinderedliving.com) but it just sounded scary! Anywho, I just wanted to stop by and say good luck!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#13 of 21 Old 11-03-2006, 09:49 PM

Wow, this thread has been facinating - I have learned so much! Alot of new thoughts in here, to me anyhow!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#14 of 21 Old 11-04-2006, 02:53 PM

Hugs...

and just to let you know if you do end up having to use a hospital, maybe do some research ahead of time, because some hospitals WILL respect your wishes to have as little "medicalization" or interference as possible, esp. if they know that otherwise you will just stay home.

I had a hospital birth last month and chose a small, private hospital because they were very flexible on what I wanted. They let me stay off monitors, didn't come in checking me every 2 minutes per my request, and after the birth, the baby never left my arms unless I wanted her to. We only sent her off to the nursery for the hearing test, which was important to us since another of our children was born with a hearing loss.

Since I had already had three babies it was like they just understood my need to be left alone, I told them I would ask for help if I needed it and they accepted that. We left very soon after the birth, and they were fine with it.

You may want to snoop around if you really do end up needing to go into a hospital, talk to the nurses on the birth floors, and see where you get a good feeling as far as trusting you to handle your own birth and postpartum recovery.
#15 of 21 Old 11-05-2006, 11:47 PM

I'm learning a lot too! How encouraging to hear from mamas who had previa (of any kind) and had a successful turnaround to continue with the births they wanted! Very inspiring. And confirms for me more and more the power of visualization, positive affirmations and healthy nutrition. :

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#16 of 21 Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad for this sight. Very encoraging to have so many replies with posative supportive thinsg to say.

OT: Michelle, just noticed your siggy, LOVE The Leaf Shoppe.
#17 of 21 Old 11-06-2006, 02:22 AM

Thanks!

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#18 of 21 Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 AM

I had a complete placenta previa after planning a natural childbirth, and ended up with a c/s.

Of course everyone is right that what the scan says after 20 weeks is not necessarily where the placenta will end up. Chances are you are going to be absolutely fine and the placenta will fall in line!

But having read everything possible about previa in my deep desire to avoid a c/s, in my opinion it is dangerous to forgo medical care at this point. I know that will be a very unpopular opinion here. But this is one of the most absolutely dangerous pregnancy conditions there is - one that before the use of c-section was almost always fatal for both mother and baby. I think someone said that the placenta can even move during labor. I really hope the intent was not to suggest that the OP should go into active labor with a complete placenta previa. So dangerous to both mother and baby. I am not trying to scaremonger. I respect UC very much. I know very well the heartache of facing a c/s after desiring something very different. But complete placenta previa is something that cannot always be visualized away. I really urge another scan at the 36 week point. Wishing you the best.

Please no flames...
#19 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 AM

Does anyone know how the OP is these days? I was kinda scared to read this thread and haven't seen any posts by her for a long time...
#20 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youkali View Post
Does anyone know how the OP is these days? I was kinda scared to read this thread and haven't seen any posts by her for a long time...
Check out the "Meet The Bear Bottom Britches Family" section of her homepage
(click on her username)
#21 of 21 Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Soooo.sorry.to.have.worried.you.ladies....Miss.Lil li.and.I.are.fine...

The.previa.cleared.up.enough.for.us.to.go.ahead.wi th.the.homebirth...HOwever.there.were.other.issues .that.came
up.that.left.me.unable.to.talk.about.the.birth.unt il.i.processed.it...
Shoulder.distochia,broken.tail.bone,very.bruised.a nd.odd.looking.baby.difficult.postpartum.transitio n.for.baby(due.to.weakness
from.having.her.whole.head.bruised.and.temporarily .partially.parallelized.from.the.birth),PDD.gal.bl adder.surgery.etc...
But.in.the.end.we.now.have.a.beautifully.sweet.and .healthy.9.mos.old.baby.girl,mommy.is.now.healthy, (mentally.and.physically)
and.our.family.is.starting.to.get.back.on.track... My.biz.did.crash.n.burned.during.all.this.though.. .Which.in.hind.site.was.the.best
thing.possible.as....I.just.was.not.in.the.right.p lace.to.do.it.right.and.to.far.gone.to.realize.it. ..We.were.effected.by.the.big.Ice.Storm
here.in.Oklahoma.this.Dec...Downed.trees.riped.ALL .my.utility.wires.off.the.house.which.left.us.unab le.to.live.in.our.home
for.11.days.and.totally.without.cable/phone.or.internet.for.21.days...The.day.we.got.tha t.all.restored.1/3..
we.got.the.news.my.Dad.died.the.next.morning....Wh ich.is.why.I've.returned.to.MDC...Feeling.the.need .to.reach.
out.to.other.like.minded.parents.instead.of.allowi ng.myself.to.sulk.and.all....

Did.I.mention.that.I.talk.too.much.and.my.kids.sto le.and.lost.my.space.bar?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page