What do you wish you would have known? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 11-17-2006, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought of another question.What foods are good to eat in early labor? Are there some things that are easier on the tummy? What foods did everyone find were good to eat? What foods were maybe not to good to eat?

Thank you all for your great answers. When I start feeling nervous I read this thread and it calms me down. The more I learn the more relaxed I feel.
#32 of 60 Old 11-17-2006, 12:17 AM
RAF

Well, I was one who posted about not eating enough early on in labor. By the time I got to the point where I was exhausting from lack of food, I was too sick to eat. The thing that was my life saver, although it probably sounds weird, is raw, dried kelp. I purchased a bunch of seaweed to eat for the high mineral content and ate bits of it through the end of labor, and although it doens't have much calorie-wise, it gave me a big burst of energy after every time I snacked on it. It also didn't make me queasy.
#33 of 60 Old 11-17-2006, 12:50 AM

I've heard eggs are good but usually by the end of pregnancy the very thought of eggs makes me gag. I found I wanted freezing cold ice water to drink, peanut butter sandwiches, and mashed potatoes. And even if you throw up, at least mashed potatoes are easier to barf than other things. =)
#34 of 60 Old 11-17-2006, 01:55 AM

I'm another one who wishes she'd eaten and slept during early labor! I think the thing that made my UC birth long and hard and very painful was that I hadn't eaten or rested in so long.
#35 of 60 Old 11-17-2006, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommacanary View Post
I thought of another question.What foods are good to eat in early labor? Are there some things that are easier on the tummy? What foods did everyone find were good to eat?
miso soup My DP makes me soup both times I've been in labour. The first time, he put tonnes of cabbage in it, and I wouldn't recommend that cause it makes the boobs super duper full (ouch) and can be irritating to new babies tummys.
#36 of 60 Old 11-17-2006, 04:04 AM

Quote:
I thought of another question.What foods are good to eat in early labor? Are there some things that are easier on the tummy? What foods did everyone find were good to eat? What foods were maybe not to good to eat?
I ate peanut butter crackers and grape juice. It was so yummy at the time!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#37 of 60 Old 11-17-2006, 04:06 PM

I wish I had had this thread to read with my first!

So glad I have it now!
#38 of 60 Old 11-17-2006, 04:38 PM

1. I wish someone told me to check out www.spinningbabies.com and make sure I fully understood it. For my first birth, I thought I wanted a lot of people around. The MW, apprentice, my partner, my mother, my grandmother, my MIL, my SIL. At the time I thought it was great that they could all be there. Learning more about how I birth best, I learned that the fewer people the better.

2. I haven't had a UC in the strictest of senses. I'd say the closest I got to UC was an unhindered birth (MW downstairs for the last 45 mins of my labor). I think what I wished I had known was how wonderful not having anyone around is. I labored for 30 minutes of my 1 hour, 40 minute labor all by myself and it was wonderful. I got things ready, posted online, got the camera, birth supplies, labored. I loved not having anyone watching me or guaging what I should or should not be doing or figuring out anything in their head about my progress. I really loved the little time I had totally alone. It was really nice.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#39 of 60 Old 11-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I've never felt hungry during labor. Even my 18 hour labor I didn't want to eat. I should have listened to my body on that one. It was suggested that I eat some peaches. I did and then promptly threw them up.

I'm blessed that my other two labors were shorter.

I think, as always, if you let your body be your guide, that's the most important thing. And, if you're like me and highly prone to obeying even the slightest suggestion during labor... make sure there aren't any suggestions to confuse your instincts.

When labor is close, I usually make sure I have some recharge (natural energy drink), honey and a stocked kitchen.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#40 of 60 Old 11-19-2006, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Honey. yummm that's a good idea. I would think it would give you lots of energy and maybe not be thrown up?

I have a touchy tummy anyway so I'm gonna have to prob find things that wont make me sick. I guess many women do throw up. But I think thats normal? maybe not it just seems like many women say they do.
#41 of 60 Old 11-19-2006, 07:59 PM

My first was UC, so jst one answer from me.

I wish I had been told(like cjuniverse) how bloody horrible the pain could be. I REALLY, REALLY think that homebirth and UC stories REAL , REALLY downplay the pain, in favor of emphasizing how great the birth experience was. I REALLY wish i had known that I would beg to die because it was so horribly terrible.
I think that in UC especially, you are bombarded with the statement that pain is caused by fear, or bad positioning, or the "wrong" birthing choices........but in reality...sometimes it just hurts like a B#$ch becasue its BIRTH, and it is AGONY for some of us.

CPST
#42 of 60 Old 11-19-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
I REALLY, REALLY think that homebirth and UC stories REAL , REALLY downplay the pain, in favor of emphasizing how great the birth experience was.
I don't think this is very fair to say, because it implies that people are lying about their birth experience in order to promote UC. My first labour was very tough but my second and third labours were honestly not bad at all. I won't say "completely painless", but honestly my period cramps are worse.
Some honestly do have very painless UCs.
I think that comments about bad positioning, fear, etc are also true - but many people don't realize it until they have the experience to compare. My first birth was my first birth, but in 44 hours of labouring I learned a lot about how certain positions really do hurt a WHOLE lot more than others, how fear affects it, and so on - it is true, even if it wasn't true for you.
With my second labour, I wasn't in real pain until I was afraid & put flat on my back - then it hurt so bad for that last ten minutes that I was begging to be put under the anesthesia. I went almost my entire labour without even realizing I was in labour because it hurt so little...

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#43 of 60 Old 11-19-2006, 08:18 PM

Just wanted to add...I'm absolutely NOT tryiing to say women who homebirth/UC are LYINg..not at all...
I think that some certainly DO have pain-free or low-pain births. absolutely.
But...I think that others ....how to put it....downplay i guess is a good word, the pain. Some might do it deliberately, because they simply dont care to dwell on it, or because the pain, although horrible, just wasn't important top them, or because they don't want to scare off potential UC'ers, orthey don't want the memory of their wonderful UC marred by thinking too much about the pain....or for whatever reason.... Others, most, i believe do it unintentionally...
I believe that *most* women come out of a UC feeling REALLY great...proud, happy, thrilled, etc. And the memory of the pain gets....dulled, if you will, by the awesomeness of it. So, when they write their birth stories...pain generally doesn't get mentioned, or it gets mentioned in a very vague, downplayed way.....or, they deliberatly TRY to make it sound good...like phrasing things in a more positive manner (rushes, intense surges, etc, as opposed to cripling-pain contractions)

but what happens is....i think that it is easy for someon to read all these REALLY POSITIVE stories, and get the picture that UC birth is pain-free or close to it.

After about a year, I let all of this out on a uc group i am in.......and you know what??

MANY, MANY members of the list chimed in to say that they had felt pain, bad pain, during their UC's..and youi know what..when youlook back at their birth stories....zilch...very little mention of the pain. When i pointed this out, many were surprised at the discrepancy, and it ewas dicsussed for quite some time.
It really did make me feel better to know that quite a lot of the other UC'ers actually had felt pain, but simply failed to discuss it in the birthstories, or diminished it a LOT in their birthstories.

Anyway...that's all I'm saying....
I wish that MORE homebith/uc birthstories told in all honesty what the pain *could* be like...yes, you *could* end up with little/no pain...but you could also end up in HELL, like I did.

CPST
#44 of 60 Old 11-19-2006, 10:52 PM

I wish I would have known before my first birth (hospital) comfort measures for labor besides what the hospital prepared childbirth class wanted us to know. I also wish I would have known that the people I invited to my birth couldn't possibly be helpful to me. It wasn't really in their nature. Things that scared me at the birth was how helpless I would feel when I had no say in anything that was being done to me. It scared me that these people wouldn't listen to me about my own body and my own baby. When I was handed my baby, I didn't trust myself as a mother or grown woman even. It surprised me how the staff could just leave a perfectly healthy baby across the room on a warmer for two hours. I thought that only happened if there was something wrong, not just for the heck of it. I assumed the baby would be placed on my belly. I kept asking for him, and the staff kept putting me off.
#45 of 60 Old 11-19-2006, 11:08 PM

I must have hit the wrong key! Here's the rest.

For my first homebirth with a midwife, I wish I would have relaxed and not made so many plans! Everything had to be 'just so'. In the end, things were perfectly different, but I wasted all that energy worrying about everything happening the way I wanted them to. I was surprised at how things can go so quickly! I had been in early labor all day, but from the time I finally believed I was in labor, I was feeling like pushing 2 hours later! I was doubting myself so badly and holding her back for a while. It was wonderful though, because I learned that by the time I finally relaxed, my body pushed her out without work from me. I was surprised at how much more I felt without an epidural this time. I was surprised at how MUCH I was robbed of by having one in my first birth! I felt more pain with my homebirth but so so much more pleasure, gratification, and intense emotional high. Also, I was surprised by the statement my midwife said when she came through the door and found me holding my baby in: 'Why did you wait for me? You don't need me here to have your baby.' It was like a lightbulb in my head. DUH! of course I don't!

I'm 24 wks along also, and I'm getting very excited about the baby! I love reading this thread and taking mental notes of some of the answers given. I've been having such peace by not having any medical prenatal care.

Sorry this was in two peices!
#46 of 60 Old 11-19-2006, 11:19 PM

I have VERY weird dreams when I'm pregnant. It's not even necessarily related to the baby or birth...sometimes not even scary....just very vivid and very weird. With my first, I had a dream once that the baby was my step-brother's. Both his old girlfriend from HS and I were pregnant with his children, and since she was having twin girls and I was only having one boy, everyone was making a huge deal about her and ignoring me. We were driving around in my step-brother's HS friend's car UNDER THE OCEAN IN THE REMAINS OF THE TITANIC. yeah, weird....but when I woke up it had all felt so real and none of it could have possibly been true. Usually when I dream of the birth, there are no complications. That's with all of the babies I have had. During this pregnancy, I have a recurring dream that 'surprise!' there are two babies that we didn't know about. The first baby comes out headfirst, and the second baby comes out footling breech. Both babies are great, but it's the big shocker at the birth. We think that first baby is it, and then here comes a foot...
#47 of 60 Old 11-19-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Thank you all for your great answers. When I start feeling nervous I read this thread and it calms me down. The more I learn the more relaxed I feel.
I ate anything I wanted to when early labor lasted all day. Basically, if I looked at something or thought about it being something I 'might' later see coming back up, it helped me sort out what I wanted and what I didn't.
#48 of 60 Old 11-19-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
I believe that *most* women come out of a UC feeling REALLY great...proud, happy, thrilled, etc. And the memory of the pain gets....dulled, if you will, by the awesomeness of it. So, when they write their birth stories...pain generally doesn't get mentioned, or it gets mentioned in a very vague, downplayed way.....or, they deliberatly TRY to make it sound good...like phrasing things in a more positive manner (rushes, intense surges, etc, as opposed to cripling-pain contractions)
I can see that with my homebirth, I don't talk about the pain much, because of the first reason you mentioned. Dh and I did it alone until 5 minutes before Suzanne was born. It was a rush! We felt so connected and confident. The awesomeness dulled the pain. I don't remember the pain vividly. But I remember all the positive feelings vividly. I do know that even though it was only 2 hours that I felt what I consider painful contractions, I was walking around on my bed at one point (don't really know how I got there) yelling and screaming sarcastically, 'oh yeah, great idea! Let's have a homebirth! Let's birth without drugs!' turning to DH periodically to yell things like 'What the *expletive* did you let me do this for!? Are you *expletive* crazy!?'. I know that feeling the 'ring of fire' for the first time (first baby I had epi), I screamed bloody murder with the two pushes. I don't usually talk about those things to people also because compared to what most of the people I know have happen to them when they are in labor/delivery, that is nothing. I know that at my 6wk check up with the midwife, I told her that I had changed my mind on having more children and that I thought that since I had a boy and a girl now, I thought I was done. But then, it gradually changed to 'well maybe 5 years from now'.... And when Suzanne was 6 mos old, we were wishing we could ovulate so we could have another baby!

One thing that makes me feel confident is that I was able to switch gears for myself with no one guiding me or giving me ideas in transition. Just when I thought it was too much and I couldn't do it anymore, something just snapped together. I know that as soon as I was done prancing around on my bed yelling and screaming, I went to the shower for some nice hot pounding from the massage nozzle and it helped to change scenes and be alone thinking 'wow, then this must be almost over'. By the time the hot water ran out, I felt like I needed to sit on the toilet...and the rest of the time I was holding her back and letting her out.

It's good that I read what you had written above, because I can be reminded of that moment where I'm cursing out my husband for supporting me (ironic) and how small of a time it really is to be in that pain for the full picture.
#49 of 60 Old 11-20-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Wierd dream last night. Dreamed I was swinging on a trapeze in the circus. The baby flew out of me bounced on the net came back up and I caught it. All the time I was thinking why I'm I giving birth here. Very strange.
#50 of 60 Old 11-20-2006, 11:59 PM

For my 3 induced hospital births I wish someone would have told me that not all babes are ready at 40 weeks I also wish that everyone had not scared me into thinking that birth was horrible pain. I went in dreading it so much that I threwup from nerves. I also wish I had not been so worried about what fluids and solids may or may not come out during pushing

For my unplanned UC I wish I had know I was in labor!!! By the time I figured it out I had a head hanging out!!!
#51 of 60 Old 11-21-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Wierd dream last night. Dreamed I was swinging on a trapeze in the circus. The baby flew out of me bounced on the net came back up and I caught it. All the time I was thinking why I'm I giving birth here. Very strange.
see, it's easy
#52 of 60 Old 11-21-2006, 03:52 AM

: That's a hilarious dream! .....and my husband keeps telling me what strange pregnancy dreams I've been having! tsk tsk!
#53 of 60 Old 11-21-2006, 12:42 PM

These are great questions, and I need to go back and read the whole thread when I have time. For now, here are my answers:

Quote:
1) What do you wish you would have known/been told about before your first birth? Were there things that scared you because you were not prepared for them? Or things that surprised you?
I was very surprised by how painful it was. I don't know that it would have helped to hear that it could be excruciatingly painful and still be okay... maybe it would have helped me steel myself to it, or maybe it would have made so scared going into it that my body never would have progressed. When I talk to other women about the pain I'm honest about it (I've probably used the words "excruciating" and "torturous" hundreds of times) but I also tell them that there are ways to make the pain worse, and that not every woman feels the pain I did and that I don't think it's normal (although may not be a sign that something is wrong with the birth process itself, as in my case) and usually not inevitable. And that some women even have pleasurable births (which I did also.) I feel like I'm in a good position to testify about all the possibilities.

I wish I'd known that my birth attendant would not be like I'd imagined she'd be during the birth (and I think a lot of UCers probably share that woe) and how deeply it would affect me. I wish I'd known just how horrible I'd feel after taking castor oil (at my midwife's encouragement) 48 hours into labor, there is no way that stuff would have touched my lips. I wish I'd known that I was right and the midwife was wrong when she wanted me to do things that were contrary to my desires and instincts. I wish I'd known that I shouldn't have started pushing just because I was "complete" and that semi-reclining is just about the worst position to be in. I wish I'd known that birth happens best when allowed to be spontaneous and instinctive and primal, not controlled.

Quote:
2) What do you wish you had know/been told about before your first UC? Were there things that scared you because you were not prepared for them? Or things that surprised you?
Well, I'd had two births already so I was familiar with how my body gives birth and I'd been involved in all aspects of natural birth and been reading and thinking and writing about normal birth for a long time so there was not any surprise there. I was delighted to find what my body could do when not hindered. I think I was in a really ideal situation though, and not everyone is, and that there is a real need for a book that addresses what birth is like and not from a professional's perspective. That's not the book that I'm working on right now, but I'm stashing away bits and pieces for the future, which is why this thread is so interesting to me.
#54 of 60 Old 11-21-2006, 01:36 PM

Re painless birth... My first birth involved a LOT of pain, starting when the doula arrived. My second (UC), actually was intense and sometimes bordering on painful but not painful until transition, unless I was in the wrong position or not focused...in which case it was very painful. I really was able to work with my body and follow my instincts and it helped immesurably. However, when transition started, from then through crowning was painful and intense and scary...although on some level I felt it was all okay, it was still really intense and scary and I was really dramatic. It was 10-20 minutes and no break between transition and crowning--I felt the head start coming down and out she came.

I often wonder if I could have had no pain during transition, but perhaps my body wasn't meant to birth that way. I try not to judge it.

When advising other women who are pregnant, I try to remind them to be open to the thought that it won't hurt or will be pleasurable, but also that it may hurt intensely. As a side note, I know of two people who had hospital births and were all set to have epidurals but who found birth not to be painful at all.
#55 of 60 Old 11-21-2006, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

This thread has been really helpful to me. I have been reading everything I can about UC births but this thread has been more honest and helpful than anything that I have read. I wanted to thank you all for taking the time to post your experiences. You all are great!
#56 of 60 Old 11-21-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan'sMom View Post
When advising other women who are pregnant, I try to remind them to be open to the thought that it won't hurt or will be pleasurable, but also that it may hurt intensely. As a side note, I know of two people who had hospital births and were all set to have epidurals but who found birth not to be painful at all.
I agree with Nan'sMom. I think she leads into a great point. Yes, I agree that UC stories tend to downplay the pain. When I started reading about uc, I had to search HARD for the women who included parts about pain in their stories. The reason I searched was b/c as much as I enjoyed these stories, there was no way I could reconcile that birth at home/UC should be painless, and birth in a hospital horrificly painFUL. We do not live in such an ideal world.

In the choice to birth unassisted is a personal responsiblity to ready oneself for the variety of possiblities. While I wanted to know how women who UCed delt with their pain, I did not want to fill my head with "it WILL be painful" thoughts. I looked just as much into what it took to have a pleasurable or at least a only uncomfortable birth. My experience with birth thus far is MY experience, refects my beleifs and fears, my knowledge or lack of it.
#57 of 60 Old 11-23-2006, 01:17 AM

well i want to answer the questions, but two little girls are hovering around waiting to be taken to bed, asking lots of questions. so for now i wanted to point out re: bobandjess' pain comment, that first baby labors tend to take longer and be more painful, and not too many firsttimers try uc, so there's a bias in the uc birth stories towards second (3rd, 4th,...) births, which usually go faster, easier, less painful, especially if mom is comparing it to an earlier, more painful birth. comparing pain can also make it easier during labor, too. with my second birth (3-7am) i had sprained my ribs/vertebrae the day before, that pain was excuciating (knife stabbing/twisting) every time i took a deep breath, rolled, moved my arms,... and i kept thinking that i couldn't be far along yet, because it only hurt half as much as my ribs, and suddenly i hit transition and the baby shot out of me 15min later.

my signature is usually illegible
#58 of 60 Old 11-25-2006, 08:03 PM

my first was a uc so...

it was just me and hubby for 17 hrs. labor was stalled. we were stuck. there was meconium. then my mom and grandma showed up and dd was born soon after.
i wish i would have known to have women there, especially relatives who have also given birth!
#59 of 60 Old 11-28-2006, 02:21 AM

just because I love to throw in my .05 cents worth...

1) I wish I had known UC was a brilliant and legitmate choice.. that playing by the doc's rules doesn't mean anyone involved actually knows what they're doing!!

And I desperately wish that I had known to trust my instincts even it it meant literally running the risk of my dh leaving me...a) He SERIOUSLY interfered with our nursing relationship, to the extent that I feel dd and I are still repairing our damaged bond and b) he wouldn't have stayed gone too long... just long enough for us to establish our nursing patterns? Semi-in-jest here, but no matter how many times I go over it in my mind, I just feel like I so totally failed her by not putting my foot down in a big, loud, angry way... Even though he now gets it and begs forgiveness and stayed the hell out of the way with ds, dd and I still have to work hard to stay in sync. The damage can last... and she still hates to eat, with her skinny little butt! And that no one, but NO ONE knows what you and your baby need like you do... fought off my dh's ignorance only to have to deal with my mom's... they may love you, they may want the best for you, but they are NOT you... don't let others tell you how to do this, from labor to birth to postpartum... no one else is in your body, giving birth to this baby but you. And you are who you will ultimately blame if things don't go your way.

and 2) haven't done it yet!! I'm here to learn!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#60 of 60 Old 11-29-2006, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

This thread is really helping me. Would love to hear more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page