Mothering Forum banner

im grumpy......

549 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  cottonwood 
#1 ·
im soo gumpy right now... last night i started icthing really bad down there....and it burned when i pee'd.. so i go to the doc today and tell him i tink i have a yeast infection( I have never had one before) NOPE.. i have a bacterial infection....the doc says.. ohh you get then just cuz your a woman.....IT HURTS.. i cried last night.......will this have any long term effect.. and will it have any effect on my UC??

#3 ·
That's ALL he told you?
:

What you have is an imbalance of bacteria -- you've got more of certain types than normal. This can be brought on by nothing more than hormonal changes, i.e., pregnancy and stress. First of all, you don't want to exacerbate it by irritating the tissues, so don't do things like have PIV sex, take hot baths, use soap, etc, and wearing tight clothing. No douching, obviously. And after you wash, use a blow dryer to help it dry really well. Second, you want to create an environment that is not so hospitable to the bacteria, i.e., it needs to be more acidic. Taking a lot of cranberry capsules consistently will help, I was taking about four times the regular dosage. You can insert lactobacillus acidophilus capsules (that's what's in yogurt) in your vagina as well to tip the bacterial balance the right way. You can use over-the-counter products for the itching if it's really severe, although it may help enough just to rinse it with water and dry several times a day.

Did he give you antibiotics?

#5 ·
NORMAL- maybe not comfortable, or ideal, but totally normal =) In addition to what the fabulous ladies above recommended- my advice is watch your diet. I get the itchies when I'm pregnant too. And it always seems to come up if I'm not being as diligent as I should about avoiding sugars (and white flours).

And (obviously) make sure you're getting enough water! Sounds simple, but just making sure your body has enough water and doesn't have to fight so much to balance itself can do wonders for getting your body back to normal.

Take care, Mama!

Kat

#6 ·
Did you call your dr. or did he actually see you? If he did not actually test your itchies, how could he know that it was not a yeast infection?

I get yeast infections when I am pg. I just take lots of probiotics and eat lots of garlic (raw) and cranberry juice or caplets helps too.

Good luck, it is no fun to be any more uncomfortable than you have to be. But I don't think it should affect your birth, unless you are due before you get it taken care of and even then... I am not sure that I would change anything.

#7 ·
I should have added that if he did give you a prescription for antiobiotics (assuming also that he did test you!) I'd really really really encourage you to try the natural remedies first for as long as you can bear it. (I know the itching can be awful!) It's just that antibiotics can have awful side effects too -- I took some (unnecessarily I know believe, which is exactly why I need to stay away from the damn hospital) and it really affected my baby.
I wouldn't take antiobiotics again unless it was I was seriously ill and there was no other hope of recovery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.