Help! Am I doing this to myself?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 94 Old 11-22-2006, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabobbin View Post
This. Exactly this. I am really surprised and disappointed at most of the responses here. I think you are doing the right things going in tomorrow. You'll be in my thoughts.
I just wanted to say that I wasn't trying to judge or put pressures in my response. Everybody assumes things about birth. Here we often assume that the father just *must* be present for whatever reasons. That's fine if that's how those who would choose induction truely feels, but maybe it's not what the OP truely feels- I don't know. Being induced for this reason is fine, as is not being induced and risking not having the dad present. Being supportive goes both ways. That's why I said "personally" in my post. NO ONE can choose which is more important to another person.

Anyway, Frontier,
I hope the membrane stripping goes well. Since you were experiecning so much labor before I bet it really gets the hormones going! Take it easy. It won't be TOO long before your baby IS here and your pregnancy will be a blur.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#32 of 94 Old 11-22-2006, 11:12 AM

I honestly think you're making a good decision. I actually talked to my husband about your circumstances last night (hope you don't mind) to see if I was off-base in my thinking. As a former Army man, he said he'd be devastated if he didn't get to hold his baby before he left for a deployment.

I think it's not so much the being present for birth issue that's going on here... it's the fact that he won't see his baby for several months afterward. I just can't imagine!

I hope your baby arrives safely with a minimum of interventions and that you and your husband can enjoy having her in your arms before he leaves. I'm sure it will mean the world to him.
#33 of 94 Old 11-22-2006, 11:52 AM

I am thinking of you mama!
I hope the membrane stripping goes well!
Please keep us posted.
I can not imagine being in your shoes.
#34 of 94 Old 11-22-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalC View Post
I honestly think you're making a good decision. I actually talked to my husband about your circumstances last night (hope you don't mind) to see if I was off-base in my thinking. As a former Army man, he said he'd be devastated if he didn't get to hold his baby before he left for a deployment.

I think it's not so much the being present for birth issue that's going on here... it's the fact that he won't see his baby for several months afterward. I just can't imagine!

I'm totally am beating a dead horse here, oh well. I don't think it's fair to put a value judgement either way. I happened to ask my dh how he would feel if he weren't present at the birth. He very seriously said "I'd be upset". I asked if he were about to be deployed and it was likely that he would miss the birth would he want me to be induced. He very seriously (and quite loudly) said "hell no." I think it's very individual.

I have a feeling that she's in labor right now

~laura
#35 of 94 Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Not in labour yet! But I had my membranes stripped this morning (baby was low and I'm 4cm) so hopefully things will get moving on their own, Tomorrow (thanksgiving) is my birthday, so she might decide to be my birthday gift after all! I also did schedule induction for the 24th-- part of me still wants to wait until they get labour going steadily and walk on out.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#36 of 94 Old 11-22-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
Not in labour yet! But I had my membranes stripped this morning (baby was low and I'm 4cm) so hopefully things will get moving on their own, Tomorrow (thanksgiving) is my birthday, so she might decide to be my birthday gift after all! I also did schedule induction for the 24th-- part of me still wants to wait until they get labour going steadily and walk on out.
Woah! 4cm! See, those "false" labors weren't false at all
Good job, take it easy, I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and sending you labor vibes.

:

~laura
#37 of 94 Old 11-22-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
I also did schedule induction for the 24th-- part of me still wants to wait until they get labour going steadily and walk on out.
Well, why not? Go back home and finish things up like you want! I'm serious - if I were in your situation and had decided to go ahead w/induction, I would not allow AROM and I would get out of there as soon as things were rolling. At home there will not be nurses "offering" AROM or drugs, or "requiring" monitoring or following "procedure". All of which (you know) you can refuse, but why keep the fight up when you could opt out?

I don't know if you were joking or not, but you could really do that if baby's not here before then.

Come on, Thanksgiving Baby! Thinking of your family, Mama!

K

Come on, baby!! Head on out of there!
#38 of 94 Old 11-22-2006, 10:51 PM

I went from 1cm to 4 cms after I went and got a pedicure! They had these magnificent massage chairs to sit in and I got my toes done (at least the docs had pretty feet to look at!) If nothing else a massage will help relax you! Good Luck and I'm praying for you!!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#39 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 12:45 AM

Well, yeah, the stress may be holding it off. It just doesn't seem that would be the best state to induce in either. I'm so sorry you're in this situation.
#40 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 01:57 AM

Thinking of you mama.
#41 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 03:13 AM

Hey there - it's me, Annie. Let me know if you need anything. I can totally give you a hand with whatever you need. And Jen, from the board, is a doula. So, even if your dh has to leave, don't feel like you are going to be alone. You might have friends you didn't even know you had. (and sometimes, just the relief of knowing that is enough to get things going)

Seriously, give me a call if you need anything. By all means .
#42 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 03:20 AM

Also wanted to add - I've had two posterior labors (lucky me!) and this is how they work. They just start and stop and are long and tend to be prodromal forevah. It's your body's way of slowly working the baby into the pelvis to try and figure out the best way to get out! So I know it's really really hard, but just know that your body and your baby are doing exactly what they need to do.
#43 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I've been calmed down today and I've been having contractions that are stronger yet less painful. I think she's on her way soon! (knock on wood)

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#44 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 04:06 AM

Allright! That's good news! My offer still stands - if you need anything, just call, even if it's only groceries, or a plate of turkey and mashed potato! Wishing you lots of strength and peace and for a wonderful evening with your dh.
#45 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

lol, don't think I'll need any turkey! DH bought a 12 lb turkey and he's cooking a whole Thanksgiving dinner (And I don't eat meat) I'll definitely be in touch though.

#46 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 04:37 AM

LOL, what is it about dh's and their darn turkeys? you know what they say, the bigger the turkey, the bigger the :

Anyway, just let me know. Looks like you might be having a lot to be thankful for

Have you tried nipple stimulation? You've got to do it for like, an hour, but it you can pop in a video and sit there with a pump or just your hands - it can really get things going once you are already having contractions.
#47 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 05:26 AM

Thanksgiving is a good day to have a baby! I'm totally praying for you! My sister had her first baby two years ago on Thanksgiving and it was hilarious! We say now that her daughter was our "7 lb 4 oz turkey" that year!

Best wishes and good labor vibes in your direction!
#48 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 12:30 PM

thinking of you. I was trying to go into labor last thanksgiving.
#49 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 03:47 PM

Happy birthday!!

I hope she makes her appearance soon!
#50 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 06:25 PM

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#51 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 09:11 PM

Hope you are holding your baby right now!! Happy birthday!!
#52 of 94 Old 11-23-2006, 10:04 PM

Thinking of you mama! Get some rest!

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#53 of 94 Old 11-24-2006, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

No baby yet. a good four hours more of labour though, but it stopped again.

#54 of 94 Old 11-24-2006, 12:40 AM

Your body is doing what it needs to.
I am thinking of you mama.

Are you having any discharge when you pee? Anything that looks like egg whites in the toilet?

It does sound like you are having prodomal labor.
Have you tried getting on your hands and knees. Like forever to try to get the baby to get into a better position? Just watch some tv or read a book and It MAY work.

But put a pillow under your knees.

Do you have pg pics of you right now?
#55 of 94 Old 11-24-2006, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

DH and I just went upstairs and did a little *something* to get things going again...

This is my most recent belly pic at 39 weeks:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...glowbright.jpg

#56 of 94 Old 11-24-2006, 01:32 AM

WHoooo! That is an awesome belly! YOu look great! Cherish that pic....you won't have that big ol belly for long

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#57 of 94 Old 11-24-2006, 01:35 AM

wow!
well good for you guys. It was so uncomfy for me during those last attempts.

Do you have any magnesium? It can help your muscles relax. Are you also doing nipple stimulation etc?

that could help keep them coming. I was trying to find my thread about dd but could not. I say get down and wash your floors or something on all fours.....
I am thinking of you and your family.
#58 of 94 Old 11-24-2006, 01:12 PM

waiting to hear and sending lots of easy labor vibes...

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#59 of 94 Old 11-24-2006, 01:35 PM

frontier, I havn't posted before this, but wanted to let you know that I have been sending you lots of labour vibes for the last two days (even when I get up in the night) I woke this morning and my first thought was for you and whether you were headed for hospital or if had gone into labour.

Sending those vibes- big and strong.

Sub note- Not every induction, if that's where you end up, ends in C/S. Mine did not. I did everything I needed to to make it a vaginal birth- including when I realized that i was too tense and in pain from the oxytocin to let DD down, I accepted drugs b/c I knew my body would do what it had to if I wasn't interfereing. She came down so very easy after that. But I refused so many things that they thought were nessasary, and I still had my healthy baby. And she REALLY didn't want to come. Left to her own devices I think she would have stayed in quite a bit longer.
#60 of 94 Old 11-25-2006, 01:17 AM

I'm a frontierpsych fan, just wishing some labor on ya.

I wish I was as strong and educated as you are at that age. That baby's gonna have one helluva mama. Stay patient.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page