Mothering Forum banner

Fetoscope vs doppler

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  kalisis 
#1 ·
I've decided to have a UP, and I'm trying to figure out whether to get a fetoscope or doppler to monitor the baby's hb during pregnancy and labor. I'm leery of the doppler because I know the sound waves are even stronger than an u/s, but I've heard it can be very difficult to hear the hb with a fetoscope. With my first pregnancy, I kept trying to hear the hb with a stethoscope but never could, even when I was 30+ weeks. I'd imagine it would be difficult to use a fetoscope during labor, too.
I *think* I would be comfortable with using a doppler very briefly, once every one or two months, and just to "check in" during labor. Then again, I'd feel *more* comfortable using a fetoscope whenever I want.
What's your opinion? What have you used, and what were your experiences? Thank you so much!

#4 ·
for me I had a fetalscope for labor and I am very very good at hearing with one- at some point in labor I could not make sense of what i was hearing or even hear right-- could not comment on the doppler it could be that I would have the same problem with a doppler listening and then using my intellect to make sense of it---

#5 ·
I have a Doppler that my sister and I both used during our pregnancies (four total children). I found it to be quite reliable and I did use it a few times while I was in labor. It was nice because it has a digital display that shows the heartrate without having to count it out. Because of the way it is designed, my husband was able to listen while I was standing up with relative ease, which made it much more comfortable for me.

I know there is a great deal of concern about the soundwaves and their effect on the fetus. I am not well-read on the issue, so can't comment. I do know that my son likes to try to use it to listen to his own heart rate (he's two now), and it doesn't seem to bother him any.

I personally liked the Doppler.....

#6 ·
I didn't want to use the Doppler because of the ultrasound risks. I did have and use a Fetoscope during the pregnancy, it was hard to hear the heartbeat but I could usually find it, I did this more for fun occassionally than anything else and didn't use it at all during labor. I relied more on movement to be sure baby was fine, and listened to myself.

#7 ·
We don't use doppler because of the (possible) risks. We just have a regular stethoscope that we use - for fun. With ds, I would listen before I went to bed sometimes. With dd, I think I listened once or twice - it's much harder to have quiet time with a toddler running around. This time, we will probably listen some. I think the kids would get a real kick out of hearing the baby's heartbeat. We didn't try to use it during labor. During labor, I need to be listening to my body and baby and not relying on outside forces. That is how I know that everything is okay.

#8 ·
I think a lot of the issues mommas have hearing the HR w/a fetoscope is that they are expecting to hear what they do w/a doppler and the actual HR does not sound the way a doppler interprets it. We purchased a "Bebe Sounds" monitor for my last pregnancy and I was very please with it. True we didn't try to use it during labor, but I never had any trouble finding the HR w/it. My MW did have trouble w/her fetoscope and it is a Leupold (wow $$$!!)so I know it's quality, but she still had difficulty. I believe a part of that difficulty results from her using a doppler almost exclusively aside from myself and a few Amish clients and basically being out of practice. Plus, it takes very little patience to find the HR w/a doppler and in fact very little skill, whereas a fetoscope requires both.

#9 ·
We have a fetoscope and it's been working just fine. I don't anticipate even wanting to listen during labor (the m/w listened once during the entire 7 hour labor last time).

I don't have much experience with the doppler except to second a point that it is nice because it calculates the heartbeat for you. No counting and multiplying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.