"Emergency Childbirth" PDF Download? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-29-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought I recently saw somewhere online to download Emergency Childbirth by Gregory C. White, in PDF format.
Anybody know???

Lynisha ~Car Seat Tech-Scrapbookin'-Cake Decorating-semi-crunchy wife & SAHM to 2 + one on the way in Nov~

#2 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 11:58 AM

we could google it.

OK, I'll do it.... hold on hold on

cited as a resource for this 2 page pdf on unassisted homebirth preparation or Emergency Childbirth

other than that, none that i could find. lots of catalogs and bibliographies and such with the author and book title listed showed up on results list.... and lots of reviews and such.... but thats not what you were wanting.

if you do find such a beast, please let us know, will you?

-anj119
#3 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 01:22 PM

I tell ya, that book sure is hard to get ahold of! my mom ordered it weeks ago, and it's still not here.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#4 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Hm. Well, there's some good information but the author also advises the birth attendant to wear rubber gloves, provide good lighting, select a flat surface such as a bed or table for the mother to birth on, check for the cord and pull it up over the baby's head before the body is out, put pressure against the tissues to control the speed of the delivery of the head, flex the baby's head to facilitate birth of the body, assume the baby needs to cry, be dried off and wrapped in towels then diapered and the head covered with a hat, "tying off the cord to prevent circulation of the baby's blood to the placenta", clean the mother with soap and water, and most importantly! , "both baby and mom should be seen as soon as possible" by a midwife or doctor.

Somebody needs to write something more geared toward those planning an instinctive, spontaneous, autonomous birth. Oh wait, I'm doing that! (Ought to get off of here and get to work...
#5 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

superstella found it for me....THANKS!!!

Here's the link
http://www.umbrellanoize.com/stuff/E...Childbirth.pdf

Lynisha ~Car Seat Tech-Scrapbookin'-Cake Decorating-semi-crunchy wife & SAHM to 2 + one on the way in Nov~

#6 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 01:56 PM

the link doesn't work for me, it says "not found"
#7 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 02:30 PM

Try this:

http://www.umbrellanoize.com/stuff/E...Childbirth.pdf

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
This is fab - thank you! :
#9 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 10:03 PM

ALRIGHT!!

awesome! thanks superstella and homebirthbaby!

-anj119
#10 of 16 Old 01-31-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
Hm. Well, there's some good information but the author also advises the birth attendant to wear rubber gloves, provide good lighting, select a flat surface such as a bed or table for the mother to birth on, check for the cord and pull it up over the baby's head before the body is out, put pressure against the tissues to control the speed of the delivery of the head, flex the baby's head to facilitate birth of the body, assume the baby needs to cry, be dried off and wrapped in towels then diapered and the head covered with a hat, "tying off the cord to prevent circulation of the baby's blood to the placenta", clean the mother with soap and water, and most importantly! , "both baby and mom should be seen as soon as possible" by a midwife or doctor.

Somebody needs to write something more geared toward those planning an instinctive, spontaneous, autonomous birth. Oh wait, I'm doing that! (Ought to get off of here and get to work...
I thought the same things when reading it! Get back to work on that book :

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#11 of 16 Old 02-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Dang! I just ordered Emergency Childbirth the other day! Maybe it's not too late to cancel the order and I can just print it out.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#12 of 16 Old 02-01-2007, 05:10 PM

I just bought the book.

IMO its a huge waste of $$. I can get more info (and better) off the internet than from that book.

Not the best of info especially for those who go unassisted. IMO
#13 of 16 Old 02-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Oh thanks for that link. I have been trying to get a copy of the book with no luck. When I uc (just miscarried so waiting to try again) I will be the only one out of hte 4 of us there who has actually BTDT, so I want everyone else to have some reference to know what is actually normal and what's not. Maybe I'll just cross out the crap that doesn't jive with UC. Now I'm gald I don't have to buy it!

I also bought "Heart & Hands,..." (can't remember the rest of the title, by Elizabeth Davis.) It's a book for midwives and I'm starting to read through it. I plan to highlight some of the important/good info on labor and birth for the others to read as well.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#14 of 16 Old 02-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post

I also bought "Heart & Hands,..." (can't remember the rest of the title, by Elizabeth Davis.) It's a book for midwives and I'm starting to read through it. I plan to highlight some of the important/good info on labor and birth for the others to read as well.
I personally have this book - and was just reading/skimming thru. We are prepping for birth #4, UC #2.

This book Heart & Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy & Birth I have found fairly good for refrence. I believe that in the beginning there is note about being for those who want to be midwives but aren't in a position to attend school/apprentice...etc.

There is a lot of info about different symptoms in labor/herbs/tinctures/homeopathics that can be used, as well as for the newborn in distress etc. It could maybe be summed up as a laymans version of a condensed textbook. I dislike the info about preventing perineal tears..etc. and the other things {I feel/I am} many UC'ers are avoiding by UC'ing..but of course, you can take what you want and leave the rest.
#15 of 16 Old 02-02-2007, 05:59 PM

For a midwifery-type reference, I like Rahima Baldwin's Special Delivery. Both that and Heart & Hands are primarily about how to manage birth, but the midwife-as-savior vibe is slightly less annoying in Special Delivery, and I really like its section on complications.

I agree about Emergency Childbirth -- it's not worth the money. Nice that it's available on the internet though, somebody go post that link on the UC resources list!
#16 of 16 Old 02-03-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post

Do you write fast? I just downloaded the aboveand am due in June. So will definitely need some advice on what parts to ignore...

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page