Lotus Birth - Placenta bag *added: Pictures of bag* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-09-2007, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies

I hope its okay I posted here- looked around - and I did not really think I was going to get the response desired in any other sub-forum with this post. I have Google-d extensively, and have not found very much info on the actual 'dealing with the placenta after the birth' part, just a lot of "don't cut the cord- it will separate soon".

We are planning to have a 'lotus birth' with this baby. Gosh- I really wanted to do it last time- but didn't know enough about it... and felt bad the moment I completed cutting my last baby's cord.

I know that I would likely want to 'drain' it after the birth, in a colander within a bowl seems best from what I have read - my experience with my placentas to date suggests that this would be necessary.

We will be living back in a warmer climate when we give birth {wooohooo!!!!!} with air-conditioning, but never the less, I have concern about a placenta hanging around and getting to be smelly. I have read about 'salting' it, letting it rest on a bed of salt. Sounds ok to me- but at the same time - what about the burning of salt.? The whole point of the placenta staying intact - is so the baby can let it go - I wouldn't salt a part of the baby..so it just seems weird. Thoughts?

I plan to make a placenta bag - to keep it in - on the bed and at night.

I have bought a beautiful reds/purples/oranges batik flannel fabric, but I am having difficulty deciding on what shape would be best so that if I need to 'tend' the placenta..I can remove it easily, and I would like to be able to deal with it easily - especially if it hangs on for several days. Any ideas or experiences?

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 22 Old 02-09-2007, 05:57 AM

I have seen bags in an oval shape with a drawstring at the top and some of them have handles so that you can easily carry it around with you. Kind of thinking about it myself as we will lotus the next baby (were goign to with last baby but placenta fell in toilet, so didn't think it would be wise to keep it ntact...)

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#3 of 22 Old 02-09-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I had thought about making a drawstring /round bottom bag - but wanted to ask anyone if they had anything to say about it/ had used something different.

thanks!
#4 of 22 Old 02-09-2007, 04:33 PM

I spent about 10 minutes after birth cleaning the placenta in the shower (both to reduce mess and to be able to accurately check it over for being complete, the veins, etc...). After that was done I took sea salt to it and wrapped it in a towel, then pinned it. Twice a day I changed the towels and salted it some more. I swaddled Xan to sleep with the placenta (wrapped) against him. I actually never noticed a smell or any real problems, we even went shopping with him in the sling in full lotus. It wasn't difficult or anything.

His placenta detached fully within three days, which is mighty fast and I know not entirely common - but I really liked the lotus birth experience. Especially over the 'caring for the stinky cord stump' experience that lasted over 11 days with my first.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#5 of 22 Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 PM

I ddn't make a placenta bag, uit never occured to me! It's a beautiful; idea though. I'd probably simply make a square for ease in sewing, what about making it larger then the placenta and tying it with strings instead of seaming the sides of the "bag"? That way it would be easier to tend, if needed.

We live in an arid climate, and it was VERY hot and dry when my boy was born. He cord was hard and dry like a stick (sticking straight into the air) only 12 hours after birth. At that point it splintered and we cut it off because I was afraid one of the other children would hug him too hard and cause it to rip off his umbilical.

I never treated the placenta with anything. I don't believe we even pulled the membrane off, just tied it up in a target bag and wrapped that in a rec blanket.

Would you consider turning off the air for a few days? It would probably be healthier all around (assuming it doen't get much over 100 where you are

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#6 of 22 Old 02-11-2007, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
I ddn't make a placenta bag, it never occured to me! It's a beautiful; idea though.
Well- with each baby I have felt different needs to gather/prepare/gift to them. With my last baby- #3 1st UC, I didnt get her too much. With this one - maybe because we asked him to come, we wanted to be pregnant, I feel very like gifting/preparing for him.

I will post pics of the bag - its almost done.

Part of my thoughts on making one are- we like to sling/carry baby always- and my 1st son held his stump for like 2 weeks- the ped applied that silver nitrate stuff- it was terrible. Last time my son saw a ped! I just want to be able to do the lotus thing- and I am unfortunately not a real "hold-still kinda gal" so - if I need to get up and get about- all that needs to go with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
We live in an arid climate, and it was VERY hot and dry when my boy was born...
...Would you consider turning off the air for a few days? It would probably be healthier all around (assuming it doen't get much over 100 where you are
We will be in Florida US - so - it will be balmy 80's and about 85-100% humidity. We will see - I like to have the windows open and such- but it depends on my husband..he has been kind enough to move back to FL from KY after we have only been here 6 months - I hate it! its sooooo cold..I really dont like cold- So- out of respect for him - I will go with his thermostat desires! I usually keep it low {not too cool} - and we have a air filter, etc. so- our indoor air is usually pretty healthy quality.

Yeah - its not the heat so much as the humidity- it can make everthing in the house get nasty if it gets too damp- usually good to leave opne at night and in the early morning- after that - you need to close up to make it to dinner .
#7 of 22 Old 02-12-2007, 01:05 AM

I am fascinated and drawn to lotus birth, but still have to convince my DH- he is VERY squeamish...

Anyway, I've seen several presentations at conferences about lotus birth. Sarah Buckley has done lotus births with some of her children- here's an article she's written about her experiences, including how they treated the placenta and cord : http://www.sarahjbuckley.com/articles/lotus-birth.htm

I also have this book (bought at an international conference) Lotus Birth by Shivam Rachana http://www.acegraphics.com.au/product/book/bk663.html It might be difficult to find here in the US, but it has quite a bit of info about the care/logistics. I think you could probably find most of the info on the internet in various forms.

From everyone I've heard from who has done a lotus birth, the cord separates so much more quickly, so the care really only lasts a few days on average. Salt, a little lavender or herbs for scent, and wrap in clean cloth diapers or towels after draining and rinsing seems to be the most common method. A bag is a lovely idea too- try to encourage the cord to dry at a good angle so it's not getting bumped all the time. I think if it dries in an awkward position, you can wet it to help mold it into a more comfortable position for wrapping.

Good luck! I hope my babies will get to experience a lotus birth too!
#8 of 22 Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 AM

My husband is sqemish also. I think that he will be less sqemish about leaving the placenta and cord attached then cutting it. Actually it makes me feel sqemish to think about cutting the cord. So, since husband and I will be the only ones at the birth and neither one of us can stomach cutting the cord, then that leaves us with no choice but Lotus Birth.
What is a good angle to dry the cord??? I imagined it drying to the side so that the placenta could lay next to the baby? I was hoping to not carry the baby around until after the placenta detached. I was just going to tend to it while it stayed in bed. what do you all think is a good angle to let it dry? All I can think is that it would have to be at an angle where I could breastfeed.

::
#9 of 22 Old 02-18-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hiya ladies - wanted to post my pics of my placenta bag in the making and finished!

here they are : picasa web album / placenta bag.

The long strip was to cover the cord, but I finally read some more detailed info re the cord {from a previous post by ralphie76} , and that it can be wrapped with satin ribbon, so thats the plan at this time.

The flannel is so vivid red/orange, a lot of the photos got really 'blown out' {color wise} so I had to tone the tint down- so I imagine I look like a ghost .

Let me know what you think
#10 of 22 Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 PM

It's lovely! I really love the colors and style- what a gorgeous bag! I hope you'll post after your birth about your lotus experience...and I'd love to see pics of the bag in use. I love that lotus birth is gaining popularity...about 2 years ago when I first started learning about lotus birth, I searched here on MDC for posts, and found hardly any. Now it seems like there's a few every month!

If I can convince DH of a lotus birth for ours, I'll have to get my mom to make us a bag- your pics reminded me of her sweing room- she uses a ton of batik fabrics!
#11 of 22 Old 02-18-2007, 09:44 PM

birthinggoddess~ that's a pretty skookum placenta bag! beautiful colors!
#12 of 22 Old 02-18-2007, 09:47 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#13 of 22 Old 02-19-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi!

thanks for your comments. What is skookum? British?

We plan to put up a web page all about it with as-we-go pics. There is not really any "lotus birth for dummies" info- how to / step by step, etc. info out there. There are stories about the wonderfulness of it, but not about the "doing of". So we will get that on after baby gets here.

thanks-

off to talk my baby into not being a breech...
#14 of 22 Old 02-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

wow, that's cool.

i have this sense that the baby won't be breech. but he'll probably turn a lot between now and then just to be playful.
#15 of 22 Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

hi ya- thanks zoebird.

semi OT.. {but i started this thread- so I am allowed? } after my post this am- my son ran outside - naked of course...{it 30 degrees here...boy is NUTS!!} and found that my doppler had been delivered. w00t!

I am 37 weeks today... and this kid is almost never anywhere but sitting on my right side {meaning his body is from 6-12oclock} , facing my left- head in my ribs, and feet kicking my bottom left (from 3-6 o'clock} and cervix. My belly looks/is lopsided, him totally sitting on the left side. Doesn't really move too much {enough :smile- just not craaazy} - other than limbs...so while my 1st turned at 39+ weeks {yuck } the other 2 since were a little more mellow about their position, i.e. moving often, shifting round and round.

So- me and my 3 lil ones who thought (it) was a cool telephone - took the doppler into the bedroom for our first official listen to our Sebastian. He sounded great - had no doubts about that, *but* it really got him going - allll over the place. So- that was very reassuring. That not only does he have room- but that he can and is willing to do it ... so to speak.

I have had a strong desire to lotus birth this babe, since before we conceived- so...my gut feeling is that he is really 'attached' (no pun intended) to his placenta/cord, and hangs out with it so to speak. I know my placenta is high and left- {in the 12-3 position} as I never feel any movements there- and all my other 3 pregnancies have implanted there. So basically- he is sitting there facing it, playing with it . nice.

Well, I guess this post wasn't really off topic... it is all about the behavior of a baby in his natural state pre-lotus birth, being with his mate. That makes me really happy.

thanks again Zoebird.
#16 of 22 Old 02-19-2007, 04:36 PM

skookum= really beautiful, perfect sorta thing (to me)

no, i'm not british.
#17 of 22 Old 02-19-2007, 07:04 PM

That bag is really nice
#18 of 22 Old 02-20-2007, 01:05 AM

I wonder if there's a website that sells pre-made ones, for those of us who aren't gifted with the needle. You know, that's a neat idea...starting a website that sells placenta bags for lotus births, with all kinds of neat patterns... if only I could sew!

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#19 of 22 Old 02-20-2007, 01:41 AM

I just had to chime in to say that your bag is beautiful! I want one...just to have
Best wishes to you,
jen

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#20 of 22 Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 AM

It's just gorgeous! I want it!

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#21 of 22 Old 02-20-2007, 01:49 AM

That's just great that you can be so cool and normal about position.

I need to visit here more often:

I just got through reading a birth where the mom was induced at 34 weeks. Why? It was 2 days before thanksgiving and she was told her placenta was "too mature". I don't even know what that means...she didn't even have an u/s..I guess it sounded old

Yiy. I'm just happy and pleased to hear there ARE normal women out there. Baby's breech? So what...he'll turn our won't...only he knows. No one will even comment on it here 'cept me.

#22 of 22 Old 02-20-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much ladies I really appreciate your comments and support.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page