Planting the Placenta - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-20-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have really wanted to plant our baby's placenta under a tree so that it could continue nourishing life and so that we would be able to have a memorial to the birth and child. However, we are still in an apt and probably will be until next year. Do you think a large potted plant or small potted tree would have enough room for a placenta? Has anyone done this before?

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
#2 of 15 Old 02-20-2007, 10:29 PM

Good question. I can't answer but I would guess it would have to be quite large in order for the placenta not to overwhelm the plant. I was talking with someone, a midwife I think, about burying mine under a rose bush and she said that it is so nourishing that it can be too much for a plant--she advised planting the placenta a few months before planting the rose bush, to give it time to partially decompose and not "shock" the plant.
#3 of 15 Old 02-20-2007, 10:35 PM

we planted it in our yard under a lilac bush- the thing sprouted w/in weeks!!!
suuuuper fertilizer!
Maybe you could freeze it until you get to a place you could plant, or divide it up into smaller portions and fertilize smaller plants around your home.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#4 of 15 Old 02-20-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixafreeze View Post
and she said that it is so nourishing that it can be too much for a plant--
yup, i've heard the same thing. i originally had in mind to buy a really nice tree to plant along with it, but that got me thinking that i might kill the tree!

at any rate i might very well be at my mom's, and i doubt very much that they would be cool with me planting a placenta in their yard.. So, um, what else could you do with it besides planting it?? I'm not much into the idea of eating it or making it into pills, etc...but just throwing it away seems so irreverant

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#5 of 15 Old 02-20-2007, 11:19 PM

we planted dd2's placenta under a sungold tomato plant. we put about 6" of dirt over it, then the (gallon container) rootball. it did wonderfully, and i got a kick out of it nourishing all of us. and dd2 was a fiend for those tomatoes! she'd crawl right over to get some when she was big enough. i got pretty good at getting out tomato stains.

you could probably do this in a 5 gallon size bucket or similar container.

my signature is usually illegible
#6 of 15 Old 02-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Knowing how fragile houseplants can be I would not suggest planting it in the house. Also, I think it would have the potential to attract unwanted insects. I know that some fertilizers attract flies, so I can't imagine what a placenta may attract.

I think that even if you can't plant the placenta near a special tree/shrub, or if you can't plant it on your own property or whatever, that it is still going to go into the food chain no matter if you just put it in the dirt somewhere, which, in my opinion, is better then just throwing it away.

::
#7 of 15 Old 02-21-2007, 06:04 AM

I haven't planted the placenta from my most recent birth yet, it's it the freezer.
But we planted our first son's placenta. We bought a miniature citrus tree. It won't get more than about 4 feet tall. We did that and put it in a big pot so that we can take it with us wherever we go. When he was born we didn't own our property and didn't want to leave it behind.. We bring it inside during the winter, because where we live now it gets way too cold for that type of tree. It does just fine..
#8 of 15 Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 AM

yeah you won't wan ti tright under the roots.. We put our DDs just off to the side and 6 inches deeper than the roots (this is a 20 year old tree that is sick) We moved here last year so we are hoping the placenta helps the tree.. oh and that the bushes we moved away from teh tree no longer suck all the nutrition from it.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#9 of 15 Old 02-22-2007, 02:43 AM

we got one of those small christmas trees for our first christmas here, and when it came time to plant it, we thought it would be special to plant it with the placenta. so we just got a really big pot and planted it. our little tree is the strongest/best little tree ever and it grew so much last year.

i had had my placenta frozen and brought it all the way up here in our move. we rented our house last year so we didn't want to plant it. now that we own our home, i think we'll plant the tree soon.
#10 of 15 Old 02-22-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixafreeze View Post
that it is so nourishing that it can be too much for a plant--she advised planting the placenta a few months before planting the rose bush, to give it time to partially decompose and not "shock" the plant.

dang it is that what happened to my garden? I've never seen a plant shrivel so fast. Ah well I still have hopes that it will come back.

We planted another one under the rhubarb and it became a GIANT. The stalks were wider then my wrist (which is wide for a woman) I made jelly and pies and no one ever asked why my rhubarb was SO awesome

I's suggest keeping it frozen for a bit or maybe doing container gardening.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#11 of 15 Old 02-22-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I had never thought of it being too much for a plant. I might see if I can pick up a little chest freezer or something and store it until we move. I don't know. I think DH would be kinda weirded out knowing there was a human organ in our freezer... Maybe I'll try to get a large houseplant and at least plant a portion of the placenta in it. I don't want to just throw it all out and I'd love to have a visual reminder/memorial of the birth.

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
#12 of 15 Old 02-25-2007, 06:57 AM

think DH would be kinda weirded out knowing there was a human organ in our freezer.

uhm...I had 2 in my freezer for a loong time {since we did not own our property either...} And for 2 1/2 years, I would look in the freezer for the whats for dinner question, and EVERY time I caught a glance of it - I would think to myself {since we don't really eat/buy/store meat} "When did I buy a pot roast?" LOL!!!

So- we traveled from FL to KY and stayed in a hotel for a week before we found a house here. Placentas came in a chest freezer with dry ice. I tried to keep them frozen, but alas, they thawed. Didn't think it right to refreeze them. They were from baby #2 and #3. What to do? We did not own the house we arrived at... So- I bought 4 trowels, and took my 3 kids and the their placentas out to Jefferson National Memorial Forest. We climbed to the highest point in the forest, and we all dug a hole and planted them there.

I had planned to give each one their own hole, but failed to realize coming from ther land of sandy soil, that it is damn hard to shovel rooty/rocky clay. So- we dug one bigger hole and planted them together. My children are all close, however... these 2, that had their placentas planted together, have grown much closer since then, and act almost bonded like twins.... ? hmmm...

Later that night, my husband asked "so you planted them deep right?" And I said 'deep enough...' "why?" And then he went on about a wild animal digging it up. that didn't bother me so much as the thought of the animal not finishing it, and it being all over the news about the human placenta found in woods...

Never hit the news, and the kids changed, so, I am pretty sure they stayed where they were put
#13 of 15 Old 02-26-2007, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthingGoddesses View Post
think DH would be kinda weirded out knowing there was a human organ in our freezer.

uhm...I had 2 in my freezer for a loong time {since we did not own our property either...} And for 2 1/2 years, I would look in the freezer for the whats for dinner question, and EVERY time I caught a glance of it - I would think to myself {since we don't really eat/buy/store meat} "When did I buy a pot roast?" LOL!!!

So- we traveled from FL to KY and stayed in a hotel for a week before we found a house here. Placentas came in a chest freezer with dry ice. I tried to keep them frozen, but alas, they thawed. Didn't think it right to refreeze them. They were from baby #2 and #3. What to do? We did not own the house we arrived at... So- I bought 4 trowels, and took my 3 kids and the their placentas out to Jefferson National Memorial Forest. We climbed to the highest point in the forest, and we all dug a hole and planted them there.

I had planned to give each one their own hole, but failed to realize coming from ther land of sandy soil, that it is damn hard to shovel rooty/rocky clay. So- we dug one bigger hole and planted them together. My children are all close, however... these 2, that had their placentas planted together, have grown much closer since then, and act almost bonded like twins.... ? hmmm...

Later that night, my husband asked "so you planted them deep right?" And I said 'deep enough...' "why?" And then he went on about a wild animal digging it up. that didn't bother me so much as the thought of the animal not finishing it, and it being all over the news about the human placenta found in woods...

Never hit the news, and the kids changed, so, I am pretty sure they stayed where they were put
I talked to him and he wasweirded out at the thought of an organ being in our freezer. He told me he was pretty sure that was a biohazard, to which I replied,"Then don't tell anyone." Haha. We'll have to see what I can come up with.

Kristi

#14 of 15 Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 AM

Well--

I beleive things are only bio-hazardous to those whom it didn't belong to. Ya know- Needles from diabetics aren't potentially dangerous to them, only to others since it is there fluids, etc.

That placenta will be something that grew from your egg and his seed, so...? its about as bio-hazardous as your baby is

tip: Just be sure to double bag the placenta- buy the more expensive/thick freezer bags.

Intended to plant 1st baby's placenta, however I was a single mom living at home with mom and dad. Dad is fabulous, but often procrastinates. I had requested a tree be planted, he said no problem...but it kept not happening. The midwife didn't say to put in the freezer and it did not occur to me - or rather I think that seemed odd to do - and then handle later frozen/thawing, so it was in the fridge for this waiting, about 3-4 weeks. I realized dad wasn't going to follow thru, and didn't feel up to it myself, so I sadly put it in the garbage, as the freezer didn't occur to me, and I knew something needed to be done. I was sad about it, and still am when it comes up; especially when I had to explain where it was to my daughter {5 now} when we were planting her brother's and sister's. She cried, and said she wanted hers too, and I really think she was sad, not just "me too".

Just be sure you can live with/feel alright about your choice before you make it. You can always put it in the freezer and then dispose of it later if you have second thoughts, or decide on a permanent method. But- alas, once its gone, its gone.

We are planning a lotus birth, and have had a real shift in thinking regarding why one does this, and what the placenta means, how it is nearly as important as the baby...so, I the more I look at this issue, the more it has evolved my perception of it. Possibly read up on lotus 'why's" and see how you feel about your placenta then. I have come to the point where thinking about cutting the cord {or hearing others mention it} seems nearly as psychically violent / inappropriate as circ'ing does to me.
#15 of 15 Old 02-28-2007, 01:03 PM

We planted both ours and never had any trouble with the trees dying. But they were in the ground. Do you have a family member with a yard? They might appreciate a tree.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page