Kick counts, etc - do you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanting to get a feel for if I'm the world's laziest preggo or what..

I've never done those! Even with my twins, they wanted me to do it (heh? count for 20 seconds. there you go! 40 kicks!) and I just never did. Didn't with my youngest son either.

Am I truly missing out on something vital for baby's wellbeing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 04:04 PM

I don't - they would just worry me. I have never felt the kind of movement I'm "supposed" to, and my babies have always come out very healthy.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

whew! at least I'm not alone.

I don't know.. apparently I rely heavily on instinct. I wouldn't get out of the water for the midwives to listen to heart tones with my youngest. I KNEW he was ok, so why subject myself to the pain? It seems so horribly negligent when juxtaposed with what is popularly done during pregnancy and delivery!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 PM

I never did kick counts. Sounds like a short road to neurosis to me

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Old 03-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Nope,I don't ever do them.

Crunchy, Christ-lovin' mama to dd13, ds8, dd6, dd5, ds3  homeschool.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.gifuc.jpg

Old 03-01-2007, 08:03 PM

With all the kicking/movement I felt with DD why count it? She had her rhythm and I think I would have tuned in if the rhythm was off KWIM?

The only kicking I was paying attention to was when the first time I felt regular kicking for 3 days in a row was. My midwife said it was a good way to "date" 20 weeks. (There was a small question of when we conceived)

I don't think I will pay that close of attention this time around. I'm only 9 weeks from conception and I feel (very tiny) movement almost everyday.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:12 PM

Okay, thank goodness. I thought I might be the only person who thought kick counts sounded like pure silliness.

Nope, I never did them. I mean, what do they really tell us?:
Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 PM

I never did them either.I too would pay attention when my baby's rythm seemed off but I've never had to worry for too long.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 PM

I never have done them. I also eat soft cheese and drink a beer every once in a while :
This baby is so active I don't think I could keep count even if I wanted to

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 PM

I never did either. My babies were really active so I always laughed when people talked about them. It would be easier to count the moments when I wasn't getting kicked!

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
Old 03-01-2007, 11:51 PM

Nope. I'm such a non-worrier, too, and just forget to even think about kicks. I feel them at times, and not at other times. It's really not that big of a concern for me.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 PM

I don't count either. I tried it a few times, but of course baby decided to make a fool out of me and not do what he'd been doing. So I just sense what's normal without counting and don't worry about it otherwise. So if you're lazy, you have company LOL!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:13 PM

I did my own prenatal care at the end of my last pregnancy, in listening to baby's heartbeat with a doppler, keeping track of my blood pressure, counting kicks, tracking weight. (I had a shadow care provider until they kicked me out for not consenting to a scheduled c-section so I guess I felt more comfortable continuing to track the things that they tracked)

I found that of all the things I kept track of, baby movements were definitely the least telling of all, because they can change depending on so many factors. I could get no kicks at all one day, and the next day, same time, same environment, get a dozen in the same amt of time. In the end I just confirmed that she had a normal amount of movement every day, and left it at that.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:09 PM

i'm not doing them. I might nearer to the end if movements slow down and I want to make sure everything's OK. But probably not.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
I never did kick counts. Sounds like a short road to neurosis to me
I agree! My baby was soooooo lazy for the first 6 months of pregnancy that I worried s/he was paralyzed of dead or something awful. Therewas NO movement- no kicks, flutters, punches, hiccups, NOITHING! Finally in month 7 the little punk started moving like crazy- kicking my ribs, flipping over and over- just going nuts in there. Now the kicks are so wild I can see them through my clothes and my overweight, preggo belly. The whole area jerks up when s/he kicks! It's amazing. I've never done the counting though- I've actually never heard of it. I assume as long as there's enough constant movement that I know somebody's still in there, I won't bother.

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustacherri View Post
Nope, I never did them. I mean, what do they really tell us?:
Noting fetal movements is the easiest low-tech way of measuring the (neurologic and cardiac) health of your baby.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

ok, call it the pregnancy hormones... I'll bite, but not hard.

What place do you believe that maternal instinct has in determining neural/cardiac health? In my years of observing pregnant women (I've been involved in two large fertility/parenting communities for over 6 years) when a baby has been found to have a problem, the mother knew early on, instinctively.

I understand that when baby moves x amount of times it indicates y, however it isn't a guarantee and I have known far too many women with stillbirth whose 'numbers' (ultrasound, kick counts, etc) all looked good but instinct told them to worry the whole time.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmoose View Post
I never have done them. I also eat soft cheese and drink a beer every once in a while :
Me too. No need to hide!

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:18 PM

Nope! I'm a lazy pregnant gal too. I don't go out of my way to change things up or monitor any more than I normally would. Like a pp said....seems like a pathway to neurosis!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:35 AM

I have never felt the "correct" amount of kicking - what do they say? several times an hour? Never, several times a day maybe. My kids were both alert and healthy at birth.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMamaOR View Post
ok, call it the pregnancy hormones... I'll bite, but not hard.
Are you "biting" me? You answered your own question to me You might be surprised to know how many women have no clue what's going on inside their body and suggesting they take a minute out of their busy lives to focus on the movements of their babies is a good thing. Clearly if you're tuned in and have an active baby you are not going to do such a thing every day unless you really enjoy that extra baby time where the focus is on it alone.

ex: http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1596265.php
Old 03-03-2007, 06:09 AM

Never done it. I know when my babies are moving fine. This time around, the baby didn't move right for 48 hours...my midwife told me to go to the doc...they did a quick u/s and found out the baby WASN'T moving...but it was sitting there breathing instead. The difference in fetal movement was drastic, and it didn't take me counting beforehand or during to note the difference.

No matter how many I have, they have to unnerve me during pregnancy or delivery with something new and fun.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:27 AM

I did them with my first pregnancy & will do them again. It didn't make me feel anxious to do them. It was just a quiet time to relax & focus on the baby. I had complications in my pregnancy, so maybe that is why I was happy to do them.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you "biting" me? You answered your own question to me
No, I'm 'biting' as in the fish metaphor. Bait thrown out, fish bite.

I didn't answer my own question. I want to know to whom and why kick counts would be important to women who are having unassisted pregnancies and deliveries. Likely most are untrained in whatever neural or cardiac significance those kick counts would have. What would be the benefit?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:36 AM

Metromidwife - kick counts would have hardly done that woman any good! She didn't know she was pregnant and couldn't feel any kicks! Interesting story, and I do see your point how people can be out of touch and counting kicks might be the only time they notice the baby. I doubt anyone doing a UP/UC is that out of touch, however.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiLy View Post
Metromidwife - kick counts would have hardly done that woman any good! She didn't know she was pregnant and couldn't feel any kicks! Interesting story, and I do see your point how people can be out of touch and counting kicks might be the only time they notice the baby. I doubt anyone doing a UP/UC is that out of touch, however.
I am going to have to agree with emiLy, for the most part.

Metromidwife-Clearly if you're tuned in and have an active baby you are not going to do such a thing every day unless you really enjoy that extra baby time where the focus is on it alone.

I would like to go ahead and assume that you mean it is a waste of time to do kick counts if you are already paying attention/"tuned in to" your baby. However, I get the feeling that you are suggesting that only a woman who was tuned in would bother to do this and/or would appreciate spending time counting.

If the later is true, then I have to say that I did kick counts with my first baby only, and found that it was NOT something that allowed or inspired bonding with baby. It was a counting/scientific type observation. I cannot see counting for "hopeful" achievement of x variable to be a bonding experience. Much like your husband/coach/midwife/doctor counting out during a contraction telling you how / when to 'do' it, and not just getting into the felling/moment, letting the contraction ride.

Now, on a different perspective- if you don't feel like you are one of those real "intuitive" people or who are a person who can generally 'miss' things that may be obvious to others, maybe a little 'spacey'...then-count by all means. Sure it happens, that a woman might not 'feel' like anything is wrong - but noticed decrease in counts might be able to stop/fix a problem by notifying a health care provider. I know of one such case. But only 1.

I find that woman choosing UC, and women who take their care into their own hands somewhat {with a midwife say} are apt to be more inclined to 'pay attention' to their baby's,and what is going on in general with their body and health overall.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmoose View Post
This baby is so active I don't think I could keep count even if I wanted to
LOL....I drink raw milk too!!!

Personally I have never needed to do them. As long as you are feeling your babe move or having hiccups (like mine do atleast 4x's a day) than no need to worry. I think most of us have babes that move TOOO much.....atleast it feels that way.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMamaOR View Post
No, I'm 'biting' as in the fish metaphor. Bait thrown out, fish bite.

I didn't answer my own question. I want to know to whom and why kick counts would be important to women who are having unassisted pregnancies and deliveries. Likely most are untrained in whatever neural or cardiac significance those kick counts would have. What would be the benefit?
I was merely explaining to the person who asked what a kick count can tell you. I wonder why taking the time out to connect with your baby and note it's movements (and perhaps personality with it) during "fetal kick counts" would be such an offensive suggestion? I never did a kick count but I knew why it was suggested. I don't insist the women who hire me as midwife do them either but that they can learn about their babies when they take time to sit with themselves.

And Birthinggoddess, you are spot on for what I was getting at as explained in your message.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was merely explaining to the person who asked what a kick count can tell you.
ah, ok, Thanks for clarifying.

The way I see it, fetal kick counting is NOT connecting, it is stepping back and observing scientifically instead of being connected.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthingGoddesses View Post
I would like to go ahead and assume that you mean it is a waste of time to do kick counts if you are already paying attention/"tuned in to" your baby. However, I get the feeling that you are suggesting that only a woman who was tuned in would bother to do this and/or would appreciate spending time counting.
Whoops, I didn't read this through closely enough before I agreed with you. I wouldn't say that only a woman tuned into would bother or appreciate the time during a 'fetal kick count break'. I was suggesting that those women may not mind the "excuse" to spend extra time alone with their babies because they enjoy experiencing their movements and personalities rather than as you described, seeing it as an assignment. I wouldn't call it a waste of time either for those "in tune", but if you're the mother of a frequently moving baby you know it's wake/sleep cycles, what time of day it's more active, etc. and you don't necessarily need to sit down to take note of it.

Quote:
I find that woman choosing UC, and women who take their care into their own hands somewhat {with a midwife say} are apt to be more inclined to 'pay attention' to their baby's,and what is going on in general with their body and health overall.
I agree with that. Having a baby outside the "comfort" (lol) of a hospital requires we pay extra attention to what's going on with ourselves.

User Tag List