Planning or had a planned UC? - describe yourself! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 101 Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A) What is/was your occupation (in addition to being a Mother)?
In a previous life I was in college to get my Bachelor's in Medical Technology but I dropped out for several reasons (lack of course availability and pregnancy to name two)

B) Education level? (e.g. high school, college graduate, post-graduate)?
Some college

C) Do you see yourself as more of an intellectual, artistic, scientific or back-to-nature type? (Or combination, or something else entirely?)

All of these!

D) What made you interested in unassisted childbirth?

Two hospital inductions and a home birth. I learned that doctors and hospitals did NOT have the answers. I did.

E) What are your main sources of research on UC?

This board, a couple books, but mostly that was to learn some "what if's" and such. My knowledge of how to birth came from my gut.

F) At what age did you have or plan your first UC?
I had my first UC at 29. I don't know if I will have other children or not.
#62 of 101 Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 PM

Research Assistant after years of being a grad student...and a nursing assistant, and a construction worker/painter, and misc other jobs. Mainly a student!

MPH (Master of Public Health)

C) Do you see yourself as more of an intellectual, artistic, scientific or back-to-nature type? (Or combination, or something else entirely?)
Intellectual/scientific with a bit of nature-type thrown in

Two fantastic OOH births with mws made me realize that I (with dh to be fair) do great by myself, and there was really no need for the mws.

General birth research - books, scientific literature, and MDC

Any day now I hope!! I'm 32.

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#63 of 101 Old 05-07-2007, 01:14 PM

Computer Help Desk Operator.

Some College and Technical School

Techno geek with a desire to get Back to Nature.

My first child was born after only 2.5 hours of labour and 40 mins in the hospital. I wished at the time I could have stayed home. I didn't realize it was an option. When I was pg with DS2 I did a lot of research and I refused a lot of the tests and things that are routine to doctors. I kept seeing the Docs until 38 weeks when we differed on GBS treatment. I was planning an oops UC all along so it wasn't too big of a deal. I felt from the beginning that we would never make it to the hospital. I was feeling great during the whole pregnancy. I some how knew I would have an even quicker labour. Which I did. We would never have made it to the hospital even if we wanted to.

I did a lot of reading on MDC but I couldn't get the membership figured out so I only started posting recently. I wish I could have gotten it going sooner. All you UCing Mom's are so supportive. People I know think I am crazy.

I also contacted another UC'ing Mom in my province, read Laura Shanley's website and bought Heart and Hands for reference.

F) At what age did you have or plan your first UC? I was 28 when I started planning, 29 when he was born.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#64 of 101 Old 07-03-2008, 05:22 PM

#65 of 101 Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM

A) teacher

B) college graduate

C) Of the choices, probably more back to nature

D) I just feel sad about going the OB route again.

E) Whatever I'm finding here on MDC

F) 25 (planning an oops UC for Feb 09)
#66 of 101 Old 07-03-2008, 05:54 PM

I used to work at a college as the Director of the Career Development Center. Then I was a SAHM, then a small business owner (online vintage clothing store), and now a WAHM (online business again).

AS, BS, MA

intellectual

I was tired of other people making my birth choices and wanted the safest possible birth for my baby and me.

MDC and other listservs; previous births; life experience

#67 of 101 Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 PM

Just a Mom.

Some college.

I describe myself as an intellectual, technical, back to nature type person, which holds to very strong spiritual beliefs.

Realizing that birth was natural and one did not need medical people to tell us how to do something so natural.

On Line research from just about every place I could find, including OL communities with experienced UCers.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#68 of 101 Old 07-04-2008, 04:27 AM

1. Before having kids I was a Customer Service Rep, but quit before my first was born.

2. Associates degree

3. I am definitely a blend of intellectual and back-to-nature girl, but probably more the latter

4. An email from a stranger on a vaccinations forum responding to my ranting about pressure to receive rhogam during my pregnancy. Ever since that email, 3.5 years ago, I wondered why I had never thought of UC before that email, because I LOVED the idea so much! (I have thanked her profusely since my UC, since she is now a great friend of course!)

5. I really didn't need to research much to know that women all over the world did it this way before hospitals, and many still do. Having said that, my main source was online from all over the internet, but I have since met one Momma in person and have read a few books.

6. 24
#69 of 101 Old 07-04-2008, 11:59 AM

A) Registered Nurse

B) Education level? Nurse Practitioner student (Master's)

C) I'm a bit of an intellectual, but I believe in intuition as well as science. I believe nature holds the answers and that men should stop tampering with it so much. I do not think that sexuality and motherhood are exclusive of one another, but intimately intertwined and mutual.

D) Bad hospital experience, lack of midwives in my area. After having one I would still choose it over the other two options, even if a midwife were to become available. Mabye I would use a midwife or physician for backup if I did it again.

E) Laura Shanley's website, this forum, the Bornfree forum, The Center for Unhindered Living's Online Childbirth Class, Many books on natural birth (ex Birthing from Within), books on midwifery such as Heart and Hands by Elizabeth Davis, two emergency childbirth manuals (including the one by Gregory White M.D.) and my O.B. nursing textbook, which was helpful for more technical things like how to auscultate fetal heart tones.

F) 26

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#70 of 101 Old 07-21-2008, 07:50 AM

A) What is/was your occupation (in addition to being a Mother)? None

B) Education level? (e.g. high school, college graduate, post-graduate)? high school, self-educated

C) Do you see yourself as more of an intellectual, artistic, scientific or back-to-nature type? (Or combination, or something else entirely?) "a time traveler from the future who studies the anthropology of modern-day humans: intelectual seer, and someone who wishes to see a shift from current ignorance into enlightenment" about sums it up.

D) What made you interested in unassisted childbirth? don't know, i've always thought of it. i wrote a short story as a young teen in which a single young mother has unassisted births of all her 5 children (lol). i was slightly naive with my first born but got the courage to do a UC with my 2nd (fear of legal repercussion was my only setback)

E) What are your main sources of research on UC? first and foremost my intuition; i ask the universe for guidance, astral travel to the plane of knowledge as well as MDC, and CafeMom. reading library books on every shade of pregnancy and birth, as well as midwife sites, medical journals, etc. etc., news stories, personal anecdotes... i try to get my research from every medium possible.

F) At what age did you have or plan your first UC? began planning from moment i knew i would have babies and that cats had to be alone to birth or else the babies die. had my first uc at the age of 21.
#71 of 101 Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post

Thanks!
I went straight from college to sahm...but my plan was to teach science.

I have a BS in Zoology

I've been the scientific intellectual, glad to give up that burden to get in touch with my intuition and nature-given wisdom.

I initially looked into UC because 1) no OB would deliver a vbac and 2) my favorite midwife was four hours away and 3) local midwives cost about six times what my favorite would charge and 4) after giving birth five times I pretty much knew what to expect.

Main resources were my fav midwife, she trained dh in emergency childbirth and lent us the Emergency Childbirth book. I really didn't search for anything online or outside of my midwife and husband.

I have my first UC at 29, my second at 32, and I hope to be having my third in March.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#72 of 101 Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 PM

No other occupation. I was a CNA and in nursing school until shortly before DD was born, but I stopped going for licensure reasons because being a SAHM is our top priority.

A.S. Health Sciences, and a couple other health certifications

Gosh, I think a little bit of each.

My best friend was the first person I knew to do one, and I'd wanted a homebirth since my first pregnancy but it didn't work out...so I knew my next baby would be at LEAST a homebirth but I prayed for a UC! I wanted the amazing experience, wanted to place my trust in God, wanted the testimony, etc.

Birth stories, "Heart & Hands", my family members (OB nurses, MW's, doulas, MD's, LLL leaders, etc)

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#73 of 101 Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
I have a friend (who is not a mom yet) who is writing an article about UC for a major publication. She wants to educate her readers about the kind of families who would choose UC. I'm guessing that most of us don't fit into people's assumptions about the kind of person who would UC . It would be great if you could answer the following questions to educate the public:

customer service for Cabela's. (answer phones); doula; breastfeeding educator

some college

scientific brain, very male brained but also earthy but also conservative politically

it's what I grew up with.

firstly, Laura Shanley's book Unassisted Childbirth; internet

*officially* for one of MINE would be age 38, but my first was at age 23 and was assisted only by my mom, a lay midwife.

Thanks!

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#74 of 101 Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM

Currently a SAHM, but before DS#1 a Registered Nurse

Associates Degree in Nursing

mix of intellectual and artistic

don't really like people getting into my business and telling me what to do, don't think birth needs to be medical

MDC, books, web, previous births

32 but have thought about it since I was 25

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#75 of 101 Old 07-21-2008, 06:01 PM

A) I'm a merchandiser.

B) I've had some college but am mostly an autodidact.

C) I see myself as mostly intellectual and scientific, but back-to-nature as well. I'm not super artist but I consider myself creative.

D) My hospital birth wasn't the most wonderful experience. It was highly managed and I was mostly alone and ignored during the whole process. I wanted to be in charge and do things my way. I wanted to actually give birth, not just be told how to push out a baby. I wanted to give birth at home, and considered a midwife. But I studied on how to deliver a baby, and figured, hey, my husband can do this and I don't have to pay him! (He now wants to be a midhusband! )

E) I did most of my research on the Mothering forum, and also went to sites like www.purebirth-australia.com and www.birthpsychology.com (while this isn't a UC site per se, it sure convinced me that the hospital was NOT where I wanted to be!)

F) I was 27 when I had my UC.

HTH

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#76 of 101 Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 PM

Editorial department of a publishing company; also studying to be clergy

College grad, was about to start an MA program two weeks after finding out I was pg

Err... probably a combo of all EXCEPT scientific

Long and winding path

Internet, Internet, Internet

#77 of 101 Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 PM

Never really had one - went straight from college to SAHM-hood. I've variously worked as computer user support, lab flunkie, and horseback riding instructor.

B) Education level? (e.g. high school, college graduate, post-graduate) One semester short of a BS.

C) Do you see yourself as more of an intellectual, artistic, scientific or back-to-nature type? (Or combination, or something else entirely?) A combination of intellectual, scientific, and back-to-nature. Not artistic, at all.

D) What made you interested in unassisted childbirth? Unassisted pregnancy. I really loved the idea of it, so I began looking into the end product. Also, dissatisfaction with various parts of the mw-attended homebirth 'process.'

E) What are your main sources of research on UC? Initially, a few books, then the internet, which led to real-life UC'ers that lived near me.

F) At what age did you have or plan your first UC? I am 27, I will be 28 when the baby is born.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#78 of 101 Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 PM

A) What is/was your occupation (in addition to being a Mother)? wife, mother, midwifery student

B) Education level? (e.g. high school, college graduate, post-graduate)? ged

C) Do you see yourself as more of an intellectual, artistic, scientific or back-to-nature type? (Or combination, or something else entirely?) all of the above, including spiritual

D) What made you interested in unassisted childbirth? always thought about it since i was a young child, decided after first mw hb that uc was the way to go

E) What are your main sources of research on UC? midwifery books, uc books, uc boards

F) At what age did you have or plan your first UC? plan=23, have=25
#79 of 101 Old 07-22-2008, 07:36 PM

Doula, midwife-assistant

Some college.

Artistic, scientific, practical.

A deep heart desire to LIVE-out my belief and trust in natural birth.

Personal experience, MW assisting, MDC and Laura Shanley.

Planned at 29, had at 30.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#80 of 101 Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 AM

A) programmer / web and database application developer / successfully self employed

B) high school

C) intellectual, scientific

D) reading about it, where I live there are no midwifes, hospital and UC are the only options

E) internet, books

F) 31, first pregnancy
#81 of 101 Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 AM

A) What is/was your occupation (in addition to being a Mother)? taught computers in an elementary school up until I had my baby

B) Education level? (e.g. high school, college graduate, post-graduate)? college graduate- majored in mathematics

C) Do you see yourself as more of an intellectual, artistic, scientific or back-to-nature type? (Or combination, or something else entirely?) I was probably the scientific type now I'm the mother type

D) What made you interested in unassisted childbirth?I read a book, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down when I was in school and it described a mother giving birth by herself and she was calm and collected- I knew that's what I wanted for myself

E) What are your main sources of research on UC? the Internet, some books from the library

F) At what age did you have or plan your first UC? I was 21 when I got pregnant, 22 when I had my first/only baby/UC (so far)

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
#82 of 101 Old 08-06-2008, 04:33 AM

Oh, fun! Coming into this late, but I want to play too!

I was a student when I got pregnant. I attended college for a year after my daughter was born, when I decided that I wanted to stay home and savor the moments with her. "Babies don't keep!" My intention was to write, and though I do write, it is not for profit, only for fun. I also volunteer for parenting groups. On record, I am a homemaker.

Some college. I graduated tenth in my class, at my dinky little high school before going to university, where I decided it was not for me.

I think of myself as down to earth. I strive to minimize my footprint on the earth, to think critically, and to enjoy the beauty around me.

My first birth was a "good" birth in the hospital. When I got pregnant with my second, I wanted something gentler and safer for my baby and myself. Initially I assumed I would hire a midwife, when I found a link to Laura Shanley's site. After much discussion with my husband, and reading many many books and articles on birth and homebirth, we decided to have a UC.

When I started down the homebirth path, books were my primary source of info. I moved on to online sources: The Midwifery Archives at gentlebirth.org, cbirth at yahoogroups, and Laura Shanley's page. (The Midwifery Archives led me to Laura's page- I had planned to hire RF as my midwife. She rocks, btw.)

I was 20 when I got pregnant with my second child, and planned my first UC.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#83 of 101 Old 08-06-2008, 04:59 AM

I'm a SAHM now, before that I worked as an AmeriCorps member in a grassroots non-profit serving rural women who were pregnant or had very young children. Woot woot AmeriCorps. :

Well, I went to college for 5 years, majored in History with a minor in Religion and Philosophy... but they won't give me my transcripts or degree until I give them ~$5000. It's not worth it to me. So I went to school long enough to graduate, but never actually got my BA. Oh well. (I was homeschooled from 9th to 12th.

Intellectual.

I always knew homebirth was an option for me (my mom had two hbs with lay midwives, and then the director of the nonprofit I worked for was also a CPM - actually, she had attended one of my sisters' births! - and I totally got into all things birthy. I found out about UC when I was pg with my first and it just took hold. It was Mango Mama's site that first got me interested. (The site is no longer there but I believe it is archived somewhere.)

The Yahoo group Cbirth (now c-birth)... and lots and lots of online reading. Ronnie Falcao's gentlebirth archives, Laura Shanley's site, the birthjunky site, the unhindered childbirth site, joyous birth league international... to name a few!

First UC was right after I turned 27.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#84 of 101 Old 08-07-2008, 12:58 AM

[QUOTE=Ksenia;7444199]

Full-time college student and Department Manager

Junior in college, dual majoring in psychology and public health

Scientific and logical, just the facts ma'am. I don't particularly enjoy "nature" but I find a lot of homeopathic, natural methods to be the most effective.

Personal experience with a hospital birth and also firsthand observation of several U/C.

The internet

I'll be 22, which was my plan BTW

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#85 of 101 Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 PM

So many things! Worked in childcare before having first child.

High School 12

Creative.

Lack of trust in people. Trust my own instinsts. Trust myself more than ever before.

Internet, many stories and info.

I am 30 planning first UC for next month. 4th baby.
#86 of 101 Old 08-08-2008, 01:15 PM

A) What is/was your occupation (in addition to being a Mother)?-- College Student and Birth Doula

B) Education level? (e.g. high school, college graduate, post-graduate)? Associate of Science in General Education, working towards a BS in Biology.

C) Do you see yourself as more of an intellectual, artistic, scientific or back-to-nature type? (Or combination, or something else entirely?)-- I am intellectual, scientific and a back to nature type. I'm not very artistic.

My previous hospital births did not feel right to me intuitively. I started reading about homebirth and UCs while I was studying to be a Doula after my 2nd child was born. The more I read the more I knew UC was the right choice for me.

Mothering.com forums, Laura shanleys websites and books.
#87 of 101 Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 PM

A) SAHM
B) High School
C) A bit of everything

D) After finding out I was pregnant with DD#1 my instincts made me desire a home birth but Dh opposed the idea but I showed my research and had no problems when I told him how I wanted to birth our next child

E) Internet sites like MDC,

F)34
#88 of 101 Old 08-09-2008, 04:02 AM

I worked retail a little, worked in banks, worked as a caterer too. Now a SAHM that homeschools

High School - but I hated confined learning and I think I educated myself more than a school would have in the areas I was most interested in.

C) Do you see yourself as more of an intellectual, artistic, scientific or back-to-nature type?
Pretty much all of the above. I love learning, I love drawing and creating and even baking, I have recently delved more into science lately with the discovery on Mars and my break away from confined religion. I am also one who loves to commune with nature. I love camping or taking hikes, or anything that has to do with nature.

Well originally I had never heard of it before. I was always interested in midwifery and homebirths. I always wanted one but when pregnant with my first I found myself in an area with no friends or family around to support me to I though finding a doctor was okay. Instead I ended up with a c/s for a birthable baby, IMHO. I have more beef with this pregnancy and birth but it's a long story.

I hated my c/s and wanted to go back to my heart and soul of what I thought birth should be like. A calm, relaxing homebirth. However with the c/s and finding myself pregnant 5mo post partum I decided to be safe. Dh and I discussed matters and agreed that if the VBAC went smoothly we'd do homebirths from then on out.

Baby #2's VBAC was uneventful, quick and easy. I had a lot of questionable experiences with the hospital staff, but other than that, the birth itself was perfect.

When we found ourselves pregnant with our 3rd we knew we would do a homebirth. I had found more friends by this time and one of my new friends had introduced me to the term "Unassisted Childbirth" or UC. Knowing we already wanted to birth at home, and knowing insurance didn't cover mid wives, we decided to look into it.

I got lucky in the fact that my friend was a doula too, and through LLL I gained another helpful friend who is a MW assistant. They both agreed to help DH and I with teaching us the ropes of prenatal care and even help with the birth.

That birth went smoothly too and from that point on it wasn't a question of how we'd birth. We knew we'd do UC with all of them, and only transfer if we needed to. Out of 5 UC's so far, I haven't needed to transfer once. Babies were big, healthy and easy deliveries.

Books and internet

25 when I planned it and 26 when I had my first UC.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

#89 of 101 Old 08-11-2008, 12:58 AM

Midwife (though I wasn't when I UCed, back then I was a shiftless backpacker

Didn't finish HighSchool

I'm way into the Back-to-nature stereotype, i'm also pretty intellectual and artistic.

knowing that I was not going to birth in a hospital no matter what, and not having access to a MW

I hadn't done any research about UC or even birth before I UCed. the *only* books on birth/pg i read before birthing was Spiritual Midwifery and. oh. that was the only one

Thanks!
welcome

though maybe i do fit into the mainstream's misconceptions about UCers I'm a feral hippie who gave birth in the woods without any preparation.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#90 of 101 Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 PM

Medical illustrator/health behavior researcher (also a pregnancy henna artist)

Master's degree, working towards PhD in Psychology (health behavior)

Hmm, all of the above in balance I'd say. I used to be far more scientific and am adding back in the other stuff.

After two quite positive "story-book" midwife assisted homebirths, I realized birth is an extremely intimate and private process that only requires outside support if something goes wrong - and in that case I want to be in the hospital anyway. The same great HB MWs were available and even one I connected with more - plus I could barter with her for the fees, and I knew my insurance would likely again cover most of the fees. There was no reason NOT to have a "professional". However, 2 of my 3 births were orgasmic and I was not interested in being on display again for that. Also, in my experience birthing is so psychologically sensitive that just having someone else present who is not 100% familiar to the woman is dangerous to the process. UC is therefore safer from the start as long as the birthing woman studies enough to recognize signs of trouble. Midwives and OBs need the experience of hundreds of attended births to overcome the fact that they are dampening the mother's intuition with their intrusion. They have to guess and then tell the birthing woman what to do based on that guess whereas the undisturbed birthing woman will do exactly what is needed - including going to hospital if need be. I think it is equally hard for most HB midwives to give up the power and glory of their roles as Birth Saviors as it is for most OBs, just a different set of intrusions.

Many many books, including resources from my time in medical school. Also online research.

I gave birth at home in complete privacy, peace, and safety (and without an ounce of fear or doubt) at age 29.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page