lotus birth or eating the placenta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 03-10-2007, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it an either or situation? Which do you choose and why? Or do you choose both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 80 Old 03-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

we're thinking lotus birth with no eating placenta, but if i were to eat the placenta, one bite would be enough, and i would take it from the "back" of the placenta--the part which was most connected to me--rather than a part closer to the baby.

i don't see why one can't do both, except from the philosophical perspective that 'the placenta belongs to the baby' and we dont' want to take things from the baby.

but if placenta eating AND lotus are a big deal to you, then i don't see why one can't do both.
#3 of 80 Old 03-10-2007, 08:17 PM

I think both is sorta possible, but that's only because lotus birth is on a wide continuum(sp?).
I'm 100% an eat the placenta sort of person, but I don't see why the cord needs to be cut until at least after the placenta is born.
Unless I am bleeding heavily I plan on waiting until after the first nursing session and cuddle-settle-in has happened before doing anything to the cord and taking time to eat anything.
It's not *really* lotus, but it is a little and it's in the spirit of lotus birth.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#4 of 80 Old 03-11-2007, 12:51 AM

I have been looking at lotus for my next babe, but I've got to ask why you would eat the placenta. I'm sure there is something I'm missing and would love for you mamas to clue me in.

Thanks!
#5 of 80 Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

From what I've heard, the placenta is an excellent source of nourishment for the postpartum, nursing mother. It also seems to me that it is natural... at least for some species (deer). Does anyone know of documented placenta-eating among primitive peoples? And, eating it can help clue the body in to stop bleeding, if you are hemorraging.
#6 of 80 Old 03-11-2007, 10:27 AM

Neither for me.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#7 of 80 Old 03-11-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Great reply! Of course I should have said: "or neither?"!
#8 of 80 Old 03-11-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malila View Post
From what I've heard, the placenta is an excellent source of nourishment for the postpartum, nursing mother. It also seems to me that it is natural... at least for some species (deer). Does anyone know of documented placenta-eating among primitive peoples? And, eating it can help clue the body in to stop bleeding, if you are hemorraging.
It also has lots of hormones in it. It helps slow bleeding and I suspect that it may play a role in bonding.
Here is a link about comparative placentation--it's the index to their articles on the animals [they've/that have been?] studied. You can scroll down to the primate section and there are many to read. Not all have the info on placentophagy(placenta eating) because that wasn't their main goal, but they often say whether or not the placenta is eaten in that species.
http://medicine.ucsd.edu/cpa/indxfs.html

Here is a link about the bonobo chimpanzee from that site http://medicine.ucsd.edu/cpa/bono.html

Haha, Do'h I origionally read your post "does anyone know if there's documented placenta eating in primates. . ." instead of primative peoples. Good think I re-read.
I'm not a big fan of that term(primative peoples).
Here's a link to that though http://www.tidesoflife.com/placenta.htm
and you may be able to find some stuff here about that http://www.placentabenefits.info/articles.asp

~laura
#9 of 80 Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I will def. check out those links.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on my word choice. What words would you use?

I have the utmost respect for the first peoples. Seriously. "Primitive" has a bad rap, but many people use it to describe sustainable, earth-centered, everything that our modern culture has progressed away from to its demise. Aboriginal, indigenous, earth-centered, native....
#10 of 80 Old 03-11-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I will def. check out those links.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on my word choice. What words would you use?

I have the utmost respect for the first peoples. Seriously. "Primitive" has a bad rap, but many people use it to describe sustainable, earth-centered, everything that our modern culture has progressed away from to its demise. Aboriginal, indigenous, earth-centered, native....
What would I use? Hmmmmmm that *is* a toughy. Did you mean peoples who lived >10,000 years ago or did you mean it as current living populations that live without all this modern crap? I don't mind it too much when in reference to people 10K YA(mostly because I have NO clue what I would say except "people living X number of years ago"). I think my initial reaction to your post was because it's used so much in reference to people living *today* and then it almost always carries that bad rap you talk about as if they are dumb or something (when they're not the ones destroying our world). I don't know what you would use for people living today, other than their name and location.
Sorry to derail

Oh and I don't know of any archiological evidence about placenta eating. I've asked but have always gotten "I don't know"s. I suspect it would be more difficult to find evidence of placentopahgy than it would be for some other placental practice, KWIM?

~laura
#11 of 80 Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I meant people who lived >10,000 years ago. Thanks for your comments on language use.
#12 of 80 Old 03-12-2007, 10:00 AM

Sorry my reaction was as if you were using it about people today--I don't know why I would assume that.

I'm really curious too if anything is ever found that indicates the placenta was eaten. I suspect nothing will ever be found about that. But who knows. . .Wasn't there some species of Homo that had evidence of canabalism? (not that placentophagia should be compared to canabalism really) But if they were eating eachother then I suspect placenta eating probably happened too. Maybe that's not a logical/fair leap though.

~laura
#13 of 80 Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Sorry my reaction was as if you were using it about people today--I don't know why I would assume that.

I'm really curious too if anything is ever found that indicates the placenta was eaten. I suspect nothing will ever be found about that. But who knows. . .Wasn't there some species of Homo that had evidence of canabalism? (not that placentophagia should really be compared to canabalism really) But if they were eating eachother then I suspect eating placenta probably happened too. Maybe that's not a logical/fair leap though.
No worries!

Cannibalism? Haha. I don't know, but it just made me think that the authorities probably might freak out about eating placentas...

How would you eat a placenta? Raw? Smoothie? All of it?

I liked your post earlier about being able to eat the placenta but still remain the respect and mood of lotus birth. i'm sure some people would not agree, but I think I do.

I am just fascinated with this topic (as well as up/uc)!
#14 of 80 Old 03-12-2007, 10:39 AM

Definitly raw for me. My origional plan was to do the V8 smoothie. I reallllly like V8. One woman I encountered on here had her husband cut it into small chunks that she didn't even have to chew and she said they went down really well. I think I might to that for about a cup's worth like that shortly after the birth then have another cup's worth in a smoothie over the following few hours. I doubt I'll eat all of it. I will probably bury the rest under a tree in honor of my son. That ritual always resonated with me.

~laura
#15 of 80 Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM

the hormones in the placenta help the utereus clamp down, which slows bleeding. I am not a "placenta eating" kinda person, but if I was having problems with heavy bleeding right after birth, I would take a bite. For the medical affect, all that is needed is one small bite from all that I've read. Its an "old midwives trick".
#16 of 80 Old 03-12-2007, 07:36 PM

I don't see why you couldn't use a sterile curved medical clamp and sterile scalpel to remove a piece from the edge of the placenta without doing anything to the cord. I wouldn't "bite off" a piece unless the cord had been severed (since the mouth is definitely not sterile), but my plan is to have the tools present to safely divide off a piece of placenta if there is any concern regarding maternal bleeding (or if I feel like it for any other reason). In any case, I plan to practice non-severance of the cord.

It does seem ideologically inconsistent to cut a piece of placenta away from the baby, especially since there are reports of placental sensitivity in newborns; however, if placentophagia is to be practiced, it seems more generous to the baby to cut the placenta itself and take only what is needed, rather than taking the entire placenta by cutting the cord.
#17 of 80 Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 AM

Both, I would consume what I needed from the maternal side of the placenta and leave the baby side alone.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#18 of 80 Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM

We used TCM to prepare our dd2s placenta. I really feel it helped in a variety of ways - less lochia, milk came in fully by day 3, bonding, emotionally etc. I will definetly do it that way again.

But we didn't cut the cord right away either. We waited for the placenta, and then some.
#19 of 80 Old 03-24-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkprincessmama View Post
We used TCM to prepare our dd2s placenta. I really feel it helped in a variety of ways - less lochia, milk came in fully by day 3, bonding, emotionally etc. I will definetly do it that way again.

But we didn't cut the cord right away either. We waited for the placenta, and then some.
What is TCM?

mom to boy 14, boy 5, angel.gif  11 week loss, 2ndtri.gif  Expecting a surprise in December! lactivist.gifintactivist.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifrocks.jpguc.jpg

#20 of 80 Old 03-24-2007, 02:35 PM

Eating it benefits you, but not as much as I think lotus birth benefits the babe.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#21 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 01:16 AM

I'm thinking that this time I will eat the placenta. I was set on a lotus birth but I really haven't felt well this pregnancy and suspect I will need all the help I can get. I won't be in any hurry to cut or anything but then I will make a smoothie( probably a modified version of the strawberry one posted in resources) to eat over the next few days. I want it raw to preserve as many nutrients as possable.
Teri
#22 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 02:17 AM

A woman I met at my Suds class ate her infant's placenta over the course of three days. She did it like the mom who made a smoothie in the blender. She also saved a small piece, dried it, and burned it with some sort of sweetgrass at the baby's first birthday.

Here's a wee concern:

I thought there might be some danger in eating placenta. Doesn't the placenta trap toxins that the mother might accidentally ingest or breathe? Isn't it like a pseudo liver?
#23 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manena View Post
Here's a wee concern:

I thought there might be some danger in eating placenta. Doesn't the placenta trap toxins that the mother might accidentally ingest or breathe? Isn't it like a pseudo liver?
Nope. It's just an interface of blood vessles (just- as if it isn't incredible).

~laura
#24 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 11:11 AM

my baby had a lotus birth. she is one week old today. her little cord (it was only 1 foot long) is still attached. She was slow to be born (2 weeks 6 days "past due") and is being a little slow about detataching from the placenta. i don't mind. i am glad she is content. i love lotus birth and would do it again. even though this past week of dodging the placenta and cord has not always been easy, it has kept us all closer to (and mostly in) the bed which was really important to me. We have her hands covered with gloves (socks) a lot cause her nails are so sharp but when we uncover her hands she plays with her cord; it is so cute.

::
#25 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 AM

i remember reading a book in high school about the Inuit people it was set in the early to mid 1900's and the family who was the main topic of the book did eat the placenta. The book was supposedly a non-fiction and I wish I could remember the name. Anyways the mother eats the placenta after she gives birth cause she figures if the polar bears and seals do it than that must be what she should do!

I think I would go with a lotus birth but not eat the placenta-purely a personal decision I know but I am a bit squeamish and don't think I could stomach it.: To each his own I suppose.
#26 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 PM

To pp, TCM = Traditional Chinese Medicine..

We are also planning on preparing the TCM capsules from the placenta, and I'll ingest them over our 40 day/night babymoon. I'll also save some of the original ashes and make a homeopathic remedy from the placenta for my daughter- in case she (or her children) ever need this medicine throughout life. We are also planning on leaving the placenta attached for several hours- whatever feels right- and having a short ceremony at it's seperation. An elder will "read" the placenta, and we will also oil and dry the veil (or the baby's sac) to save.

Wow... we really planned this out!

Grace Comes.

#27 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I don't know of any documented cases...BUT a friend of mine and dh who passed away while I was preggers ate hers...she was going to cook ours for us to eat(the thought of doing it raw freaked me out..im a scaredycat)....but since she passed away I felt I had no support(even though dh was ALL for it)

We also didnt get to do Lotus or anything...ds had cord wrapped around neck 3 times and midwife had to cut it. I was VERY disapointed cause I wanted to leave cord on ds and have dh cut it after awhile. He was less disapointed then me..Funny!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#28 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
We have her hands covered with gloves (socks) a lot cause her nails are so sharp but when we uncover her hands she plays with her cord; it is so cute.
THATS SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#29 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 04:18 PM

Refer to Successful UC of GIRL UPDATE CORD SEPARATION for an update of what happened with her placenta and cord today. I love lotus birth. we are getting ready to plant her placenta in a hour or so.

::
#30 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 PM

I had my placenta made into capsules. I took some of them immediately pp and then put the rest in the fridge to save for...whenever? We recently moved to another city and were running out of time with packing and cleaning and everything. My mom offered to clean the rest of the house for us so we could hit the road. We went happily on our way to our new town and it was about four days later that I had the omigod, my placenta! moment. I called my mom frantically and asked her about the little jar at the back of the fridge. She had thrown it away, not knowing what it was. I have had such an intense grief over this loss. I feel guilty for forgetting to bring it with us. Like I left behind a part of not just me and not just my daughter but both of us, my pregnancy, my beautiful birth. I just can't believe it's gone. Anyway, I just happened to see this thread and thought you all would understand my grief. Not many people do.

Rose
mama to Clara 7/26/05

User Tag List