Why UC? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

When I have people over, no matter who they are, I feel the need to be "hostess". So I could never relax with a MW or anyone else around. I am also a very private person, a very modest person. And I am not comfortable around other people with minimal (or no) clothing on.
I think this is one of the reasons I am considering UP/UC. (I did have a great mw attended homebirth though)I just feel like if someone is in my home, then I need to be helping them feel comfortable.

The other is financial. I am in a complicated insurance situation that would have me pay out of pocket for a hb (4,100!) if I get pregnant before September. That makes me feel like money is controlling my life and that is something I try and avoid.

I will be hanging around here a little. Dh is great with the homebirth part, but kind of freaked out by uc.
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#32 of 35 Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 AM

The reasons I am choosing UC keep getting reinforcment.I toured the L&D dept. of the hospital I would have to go to (insurance).The staff there is not experienced with non med, non intervention births unless I have a MW to attend me.In order to be seen by the MW I have to agree to GD test and GBS test.I will also have to allow the doppler and not gain more than 40 lbs along with thew other standard things that get you risked out to the OBs.The appts are no more than 15 minutes long.I went to my first appt last week and when I tried to bring up my fast labors ( 5 hrs,2 hrs, and 50 minutes) she just shrugged it off and said it will probably be different this time.I live farther away from the hospital this time and already am having contractions that get more painful going over potholes.I do not think I would even make it there in time anyway.Why leave my house, its so comfy and noone is going to burst in on me just to check my vitals and then in a half hour the baby's so that neither one of us really get any rest.I can't have a homebirth because I live in military housing and you have to have military ID to get to my house ( I forgot mine the other day and DH had to come and give it to me, they don't take a driver's license).I tend to labor on my own anyway.I close my eyes and hole up in the bathroom.
I want privacy and respect and comfort and to know what has been used to clean the floors and when they actually were last cleaned.I want to fit in the bed not have my legs dangle over the bottom.I know my body better than any outsider other than God.The reasons just go on and on.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#33 of 35 Old 04-10-2007, 07:18 AM

Maybe it is too simplistic...but, why not UC?

Or...Why hospital/birth center?

For me, this was a natural progression. I now trust my body.
#34 of 35 Old 04-10-2007, 12:24 PM

A list of past threads about this:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=7711262
#35 of 35 Old 04-10-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhbehka View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked before... but why do you choose UC?

I was talking with dh about the concept, because he'd never heard of it. He wasn't particularly concerned about safety, as we both understand that it's not that difficult to pinpoint problems in labor. But he basically just wanted to know... why? What makes you choose UC over the other options? How is the experience different from, say, a homebirth with a lay midwife?

So, tell us curious people what makes you opt for UC.
Why not?

I don't do well with people. I don't like to second guess my instincts. I think I would have a hard time inviting someone into what should be an intimate event- kind of like how I'd have a hard time doing anything sexual in front of others, kwim? I don't think I could fully relax and release myself to the forces of nature that cause us to birth.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page