In Hell - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
probably fresh enough that I don't need to remind, but just in case..

2 weeks ago I had a midwife to an ultrasound as I'd been spotting. I was 9 weeks (and possibly 3 days? who knows on the change) and they did abdominal only and saw nothing. Called it a blighted ovum and said I would miscarry soon.

Fast forward 2 weeks, nothing is happening. No loss of pregnancy, no loss of symptoms (strengthening if anything), no peace at all that they were right. I have a very tilted uterus and have always required trans-vag ultrasound in early pregnancy to see anything. I'm reading accounts of women even as late as 12 weeks who had misdiagnosed blighted ovums due to tilted uterus and abdominal scan. I'm a miscarrier, if I'm going to miscarry, I do. It doesn't stick around.

I have no peace that the diagnosis was accurate!

But I can't get anyone to give me another ultrasound!! I'm in hell not knowing what is going on. :

We can't afford hundreds of dollars out of pocket, nor am I inclined to sign up with medicaid for what MAY just be a wild goose chase, to start up care with some OB just to get an ultrasound on THEIR terms. Planned parenthood doesn't offer REAL choice, only a quickie scan if you're having an abortion-they don't care if you had a misdiagnosis. The health department doesn't have ultrasound, so you have to set up care with them too and wait for a "real" reason to need a scan.

what the **** am I supposed to do to get an answer? I don't think my sanity can wait 2 months to see if something moves!
#2 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 04:48 PM

We have two crisis/pro-life pregnancy centers in our area that offer free scans. Do you have anything like that in yours?

Isn't 9 weeks kinda early to do an abdominal scan with a tilted uterus? Before 12 weeks my obgyn uses the vaginal scan.....praying your little one is still there!!!
#3 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

sadly no. I called all that were in the book, they only do pee tests.
#4 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 04:55 PM

I was wondering about you today!

Could you possibly go to the E.R. and either explain what is going on and make it out to be a very dangerous thing (such as on the verge of miscarrying..worried about retained tissue)? I know its not totally honest but maybe they would be able to do something....
Can the midwife you saw give you a "prescription" for another ultrasound?

I cant imagine being in your spot.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#5 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

yea, the ER is about the only option.. I can't lie (I'm not going in stating that we were UC, just that we'd recently moved and not set up care-true), so I just don't know what to do. Now I'm worried even they wouldn't order an u/s! last time (last year) I was bleeding heavily and in severe left sided pain, that's an obvious reason to scan. and goodness the bill was over $2k! we're still paying it off!

and you know what's REALLY annoying!? apparently in Idaho lay midwives can't order u/s!!!! ARGH! all the hospitals and imaging places I called said only a doc/cnm could order one. and of course for them to order one.. climb on the merry-go-round!
#6 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 05:17 PM

My chiropractor prescribed my u/s when I was in WI. Maybe you could find someone like that who will help?

I really wish you lived closer to Mexico. I can go get a scan here for $40 (or was it $30?) - very cheap at a nice hospital, no prescription needed.
#7 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 PM

So you are saying the only option is to wait?

What are the issues (physical, medical) with not treating a blighted ovum? Have you ever had one of those before?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought they just miscarried eventually.

Did you say you were still bleeding?

I'd probably either try to get OK with waiting or sign up for blasted medicaid. If it's a missed m/c then you might be one of the few that need treatment anyways, and I *guess* it would be better to have the insurance in that situation.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#8 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 06:16 PM

I went to the ER with spotting at 8w6d, they did an abdominal u/s and manually filled my bladder (!) but the baby was there and just fine.

I do know someone who was told they would miscarry their baby and never bled, realized at 20w+ that the baby was still there!! Baby is fine.

I don't know what to say because you don't have insurance. I guess if I were you, I would invest in (or rent) a doppler : to check your baby's heartbeat OR apply to medicaid OR wait until you can feel the baby. Are you in pain - do you think it could be in a tube or elsewhere outside your uterus? Are you still spotting/bleeding?

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#9 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 06:29 PM

I totally forgot you are in Idaho! You can apply for it today and go in tomorrow. When they ask for your info you jsut tell them you have applied and are in the process of hearing back. They'll note it on you file and send you the bill at a later date which you then supply to medicaid. That's what we had to do with DDs birth. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get an u/s either. I had one done due to bleeding at a clinic I wasn't even a patient at yet. I called and let them know I had had bleeding and no fetal movements and they said to come on in, they couldnt guarentee I'd be seen and get an u/s but at the very least they would use a doppler to find the heartbeat.

Give more**Expect Less
#10 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I wish I lived closer to Mexico too!!!

I'm *afraid* the only option is to wait. I don't know if I can take that.

I haven't had a blighted ovum before, all my previous losses were mostly early hormonal, a couple later random genetic (we've already had the gentics tests and there's nothing there-so had to be random). Never had a pregnancy go past 7.5 weeks unless it was term-so I'm in uncharted waters for me. Unfortunately, in reading on blighted ovum it seems they can to a LONG time before they miscarry. One mdc-mama went to 20 weeks before she got an infection and needed D&C. that thought just horrifies me.

I had previously had some spotting, nothing at all heavy and certainly no bleeding, but what I did have went away when my yeast infection finally went away. So it looks suspicious that the yeast was causing the spotting.

I haven't had any pain other than some minor cramping (middle of yeast treatment) that's never returned and regular round ligament pains if I turn over fast, etc. Plus, you'd think if it was ectopic, I'd feel something by 11 weeks!

thanks for the Idaho info! Here' I thought it was such an enlightened/libertarian state. Even in evil oregon the midwife could order an u/s.
#11 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 PM

I had a blighten ovum, on the u/s there was only a gesteational sack no baby, so it didnt get very far in the pregnancy when the baby was gone. I carried it till I was 12weeks+3 according to my wheel, that is also when I started spotting very slightly, it took another week before it passed. A m/c will rarely cause problems, most exspell themselves fully, and with out dangerouse blood loss with out the use of d/c and infection rate is low, especialy if you are taking herbs to help with making sure it all comes out. I think you said you have had a miss before so you know what to do for that.

Wait it out is what I would do, if you feel that there might be any chance there is a baby in there, and if you do develope any type of infection or something like that you can always go back in and get the help you need.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#12 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Have you POAS? I'd imagine from the very little that I know about m/c that once the baby is gone you produce no more HCG. So if you were still pregnant it would turn positive. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It might be worth a shot....at least that way if it did you could take it in, say looks it positive, and I have yet to miscarry despite a diagnosis of blighted ovum, check me out! They might be more inclined to yk?

Give more**Expect Less
#13 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks babycatcher. I really appreciate your advice and experience! part of my fear is it will just go on and on and on! I'd use herbs, but I'm just not convinced there's no baby and I'd NEVER forgive myself if I harmed a baby.

oddly enough, I did POAS today, by proxy. I went to the local indian health clinic to get a referral for u/s (which they wouldn't give btw, they said you're probably just still pG, see us in a week for an intake exam) and they had to do a pee test. BUT.. as long as there is placental tissue there'll be hcg, and even a blood test wouldn't help now, as the levels peak and start going down around now anyway.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaah
#14 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 PM

I would be really scared to do anything too. I have heard so many stories of women being told by these early u/s's that they have miscarried, and then they go in the day of the d/c and they find a heartbeat! What a horrible emotional roller coaster. I hope you know something soon!
#15 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 PM

i had a blighted ovum also. we found out at 13 weeks--mt uterus continued to enlarge at each appt after initial diagnosis. it was so hard to know that my body wasn't recognizing that it shouldn't be pg anymore. i waited 4 weeks & nothing happened but the enlarging uterus. we finally decided to induce at almost 18 weeks. we had insurance, but it still was super expensive. we had between 6-8 u/s & tons of bloodwork done.

i wish you peace momma

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#16 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 10:00 PM

In my town, you can get a free u/s at the community college. It's part of the training program for u/s technicians.

Not knowing is hard.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#17 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

hmm.. that's a thought! it looks like there's no u/s program at the colleges within an hour of us, but there is 4 hours away. I'll call them tomorrow.

If they can do it, you get a big kiss!
#18 of 35 Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 PM

Christine, I'm so surprised! I hope you can a u/s and see a baby!! That would be so cool.

On another board a mom was told she'd miscarry, no hb, etc, a week later when she went for the d&c the doc did another u/s, as is his policy, and lo and behold, a beating heart. She, of course, was just over the moon about it!

I have hope for you.

I also pm'd 2bluefish for details on the Mexico u/s. : We're in TX.

I'll have to call around about u/s at the local colleges. We have University of TX Health Science Center. OH! A coworker of mine is going to school to be an RN! I'll ask her! Brilliant! Ok, you guys are awesome, thank you! lol

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#19 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

A good friend sent me money (totally out of the blue) to be able to afford an u/s so I found a doctor who would order one and had an appointment for this am.

I woke up around 2:30 and upon returning from the bathroom started hemorrhaging badly. I tried shepherd's purse/blue/black cohosh to no avail and shortly thereafter we decided to call an ambulence (we may have driven had it not been very icy and foggy out). They finally got me in for a D&C at 9:30am today and apparently it was none too soon as the placenta was badly degraded. :
#20 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 05:46 PM

I'm sorry mama
#21 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 05:52 PM

I'm glad things worked themselves out and you are no longer in limbo.

Give more**Expect Less
#22 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 06:37 PM

You've been in my thoughts all day. Hang in there.
#23 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 06:38 PM

#24 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 06:54 PM

Hugs to you. I also had to have a d&c due to no heartbeat and serious physical risk (for me it was a hydatidiform mole). I so wanted a baby. And I so wanted to not have surgery.

It hurts.

We are all here for you, mama, wishing you gentleness and healing.

:
#25 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 07:39 PM

#26 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#27 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 11:45 PM

I'm so sorry.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#28 of 35 Old 03-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Banned

i'm very sorry.

may i offer a change in language. i noticed you said "i'm a miscarrier" which i believe is a fiction about yourself. you have had miscarriages. but you are also capable of carrying. i think a change in language--when you're ready to go again--will make a big difference for you. ok?

much love to you!
#29 of 35 Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

thank you all

Zoe, I do see what you're saying. I think though that my living children are miracles. I've had 18 losses now, the odds aren't stacked in favor of carrying.
#30 of 35 Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Banned

you have living children! that demonstrates that you carry. and i think of them as miracles too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page