Thoroughly embarassed -the downside of UP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pseudocyesis....I feel so stupid. I was total UP, no POAS or anything, I had no periods, swollen leaky breasts and even, I was certain, fetal movement. But it was all an illusion. I fooled my husband, who put his head to my belly and caressed it everynight, feeling and listening. I fooled my family, who all believed I was having twins, and I fooled a midwife who touched my belly and felt it jump. Why the he// am I the one who feels like a fool? When I went very late, I thought maybe my dates were really off or something...Finally went to seek medical advice and voila.

Look where trusting my intuition gets me.
#2 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 PM

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Oh, I'm sorry! I had never heard of this before, but did some research and now I know what you were talking about. Whether there was a fetus or not, you have experienced a loss and I am so sorry for that. As I said, I didn't know anything about this a few minutes ago, but from what I did just recently read, there are supposedly treatments for preventing this in the future. I hope you can find peace.

4 kids under 10
#4 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 PM

I'm sure there's not much I could say to make you feel better. So I just want to give you a big and tell you that I'm so sorry you are going through this.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#5 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM

#6 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all. As far as physiological reasons, apparently I don't have any fibroids, endometrial issues, or intestinal obstructions. At least that's good. My hormones have been massively screwed up since the birth of my first child, miscarriages, messed up cycles, etc.

It may be more psychological for me, not in the "I wanted a baby so bad I could hardly stand it" way, though we were trying to get pregnant. I started working full time and felt horribly guilty leaving my ds with a string of people who were wholly inadequate, or undependable, or both. I "got pregnant" and had such terrible, mind-blowing symptoms, it got to the point I couldn't work anymore. One of the reasons everyone suspected twins. I quit at "26 wks" or so.

Other than feeling really dumb, I'm not horrendously upset about it. I've got so much I want to do now. A million projects I've been wanting to finish and a million more I want to start. I can be happy with the family I have for now, and worry about ttc again later. It's still a possibility for the future, but I'm definitely going to lay off the baby stuff for now, guess it made me kinda nuts.

I still haven't told most of the family, though. They thought I was getting prenatal care. I have no idea what to say to them, but I can't avoid them forever. If I tell them the whole truth, UP and all, I may make things worse for myself. I'm not falling apart, but I am feeling sort of fragile. If I make something up, it's gonna be a whopper. I feel so :
#7 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 PM

I know you feel silly, but you had every reason for thinking as you did.

I guess next time you'll poas, eh?

babyf.gif

#8 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post

I know you feel silly, but you had every reason for thinking as you did.

I guess next time you'll poas, eh?
Ya got that right! Never knew there was a really good reason to do that before.
Guess I know now. Probably will get an u/s next time too. Pseudocyesis can actually cause a BFP, as well.
#9 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 09:51 PM

That is very strange, and I don't know what anyone could ever say to ease your confusion or frustration.

But I think it's more strange when women go through 40+/- weeks of pregnancy, think they've got some sort of cramps and out pops a baby much to their surprise.

The important thing is:
The love you felt is real, no one should ever doubt that. And the child that it's meant for will come to you both soon.
#10 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qalliope View Post
Ya got that right! Never knew there was a really good reason to do that before.
Guess I know now. Probably will get an u/s next time too. Pseudocyesis can actually cause a BFP, as well.
Oh, man! That complicates things.

babyf.gif

#11 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 PM

I'm very sorry for your troubles, mama! But I don't understand. And I don't know what POAS means. From your twins post, didn't you say you were 36 weeks along? And wouldn't you be quite big by then? How can that not be a real pregnancy, especially given the info in your previous post? And how did you find out that it was pseudocyesis? If it's not a baby in there then what is it? I'm sorry for all the questions obviously it's something I can't seem to get my head around.
#12 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Belle View Post
And I don't know what POAS means.
Pee on a stick -- take a pg test.

babyf.gif

#13 of 28 Old 04-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry. For your loss, for your feelings of embarassment, for the whole thing.

You know, if you're not ready to tell the family yet, there's nothing fictional about saying, "We lost the baby" - you really did go through the loss of a baby, perhaps in more of a figurative sense than a literal one. If people ask what happened, you can simply say, "I'm just not ready to talk about it." and go from there.

I hope you feel better soon, and allow yourself to grieve however you need to get through this difficult time.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#14 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Belle View Post
I'm very sorry for your troubles, mama! But I don't understand. And I don't know what POAS means. From your twins post, didn't you say you were 36 weeks along? And wouldn't you be quite big by then? How can that not be a real pregnancy, especially given the info in your previous post? And how did you find out that it was pseudocyesis? If it's not a baby in there then what is it? I'm sorry for all the questions obviously it's something I can't seem to get my head around.
Yes, well the main symptom of pseudocyesis is enlarged abdomen. And I was enormous, actually. And my symptoms were very real, very convincing. Nothing I stated in that post was innaccurate from my perspective, at that time. I've now gained a total of 40 pounds. I still don't know how I gained so little on the amount of food I was consuming. I found out by going to the doc, demanding a blood test, listening with doppler and finding nothing, pelvic exam, ultrasound scan to rule out fibroids. But my uterus was not even enlarged. I was forever trying to figure out why I had so much trouble this pregnancy figuring out what was the top of my fundus, what position my baby was in, etc. When it's not a baby, it's usually a combination of fat, gas, fluid, etc. that has accumulated in particular areas that you expect to grow when you're pregnant because you believe so strongly that you are pregnant.

Yeah, I know it's hard to believe. It was hard for me to get my head around it too. I had clues, but everything was still sort of conspiring against me, keeping in the delusion for a long time. I really feel like I spent 11 months walking around asleep, just dreaming that I was pregnant, and as I neared conciousness, unsettling things appeared that indicated it was only a dream. Eventually I pried myself awake. The dream was so sweet until the end, but it doesn't feel like a real loss, and now I get to wake up and go on about my life. My abdomen has already shrunk way down, btw. I still look pregnant, but only 4 or 5 months and not 9 months with twins. Usually they put you under general anesthesia, and when you wake up you're a lot smaller, but I decided to forgo that unless I needed it. Other than that I'm getting counseling.
#15 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 09:11 AM

It doesn't sound like you fooled anyone. At least not intentionally. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Be gentle with yourself.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#16 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 11:13 AM

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#17 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 11:50 AM

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#18 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#19 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 12:41 PM

#20 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 01:07 PM

you awoke to what many would think is a nightmare...
how are the two dealing with this?
#21 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 01:14 PM

s mama.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#22 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Oh mama I'm so sorry
#23 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh Mama, I'm so sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qalliope View Post
I still haven't told most of the family, though. They thought I was getting prenatal care. I have no idea what to say to them, but I can't avoid them forever. If I tell them the whole truth, UP and all, I may make things worse for myself. I'm not falling apart, but I am feeling sort of fragile. If I make something up, it's gonna be a whopper. I feel so :
Well, you said a MW felt a baby... you can just tell your family you were not allowing u/s or doppler so the mw was not able to tell.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#24 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 08:17 PM

Im so sorry Sending you lots of warm thoughts.

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#25 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 08:39 PM

I am so sorry.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#26 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 09:01 PM

I'm so sorry mama.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#27 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 09:41 PM

I'm so sorry. This happens.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#28 of 28 Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 PM

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry I know that citizenfong here on MDC went through something very similar. She would probably be a very good person to connect with.

Much love to you and be gentle with yourself,
Amy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page