What was the start of your labor? (POLL) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What "sign" marked the start of your labor?
Lost mucus plug 12 13.64%
Waters broke 20 22.73%
Contrax became hard and regular 46 52.27%
Cervix became dilated and effaced 0 0%
Other (please list) 10 11.36%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 04-27-2007, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My first baby: I had some "real" contrax on Thursday night, they were regular but not so close together all night, then all day Friday (lost mucus plug Friday AM), then Friday night I called my doula to come over (a big deal for a Sabbath observant mama and a Sabbath observant doula- she drove over) and things gradually got more intense as Saturday went on. I forget exactly when the MW and her assistant came by, but I think it was during the afternoon. By the time Shabbat ended (around 6:00 PM), and we could turn on the CD player, I was already in labor-land and the music was just too intense for me to handle. I don't know how I would have felt about the music if it had been on all along, but we had it on for maybe a minute and that was it. DD1 was born on Saturday night/Sunday morning just after midnight, after 45 minutes of pushing.

With DD2, I'd had prodromal labor for over a week. I remember going for a long walk with my friend on Saturday afternoon trying to get labor going, and then going to the supermarket on Saturday night just to walk some more, but nothing really happened until the following Friday. I woke up in the morning around 7 with an INTENSE contraction that was just different from the contrax I'd been having all week. I went to the bathroom and realized that the feeling wasn't caused by a mild contraction next to a full bowel (which had been confusing me all week as well- oh, boy, it's a real one- oh, I just needed to poop. Dang!) I had a second serious contraction about an hour later (after dozing) and that's when I knew I was in labor. DH went to work anyway because I'd been in labor so long the last time. He ended up coming home early because things got intense much faster this time. DD2 was born at 6:00 in the afternoon, after about 10 minutes of pushing. The MW came about 2 hours before the birth, her assistant never made it at all.

DS' labor and birth was very similar to DD2s, except that I UCed him so there was no worry about the MW making it in time.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 04-27-2007, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With both kids I was rudely awakened by contractions. With ds1 it started to get intense around 1:30am, and I got zero sleep. His labor and birth was 20 hours long. Ugh. With ds2 I woke around 3:30am with contractions, tried to sleep for a few more hours, by 5am they were too intense to stay in bed so I got up, but thankfully his labor and birth only took about 8.5 hours.
#33 of 42 Old 04-27-2007, 05:06 PM

Lost my plug in one morning, ds was born very quickly the next am.
#34 of 42 Old 04-27-2007, 11:15 PM

I haven't UC but did go completely natural (no induction or meds)
I picked cx being strong and reg but really both labors started the active stage with my bowels cleansing theirselves out very thurally and violently:
The cx started simultaneously with this
#35 of 42 Old 04-28-2007, 02:31 AM

I birthed my dd at home (but not UC). In hindsight, my first sign of labor was lost mucus plug at about 7 a.m. After that I had very mild, spaced out contractions (wasn't sure if they were really contractions) throughout the day, which gradually got stronger and closer together. By 9:00 p.m. they were maybe 5 min. apart and strong enough that they were starting to get my attention, and I finally started to believe that maybe it could be labor. By midnight, the contractions had become intense and demanded my full attention. Dd was born at 5:00 a.m. the next day (so about 22 hours after losing the mucus plug).

Joanne
#36 of 42 Old 04-29-2007, 07:07 AM
L J

With my first, and only, I had no CLUE that I was going to have a baby that day. I was 10 days "over" and no contractions, nothing. I guess in hindsight the fact that it was nearly impossible to urinate for the few hours preceding his birth should have told me something, but at the time, I had no clue.

I knew it was fixing to happen when I started losing my mucous plug at 1:30am. I had my first contraction at 2:15am and he was born at 7:25am.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#37 of 42 Old 04-29-2007, 07:18 AM

My back hurt! A lot! All day! I had no clue that this was labor!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#38 of 42 Old 04-29-2007, 03:26 PM

With my son.. after having 3-7 min apart waves, 16 hours a day for 2 weeks before he was born.... well.. about 13 hours before he was born, while we were at the movie theatres I just knew that this was it and the waves and the movie together made me a bit high, heheh...

with my Daughter, I had a few nights of off and on pre-labor.... but the night before she was born I had a talk with her and told her it was time to come out , my body couldn't support us both any more.. an hour later i had a wave that was way different and definitely told me that this was it, she was born 6.5 hours later.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#39 of 42 Old 04-29-2007, 03:47 PM

My first began with mucus plug and contrax by the book. 13 hr labor 5 at bc.
Second, I woke up with def. contrax, but as they never had regular intervals (gained in intensity, but still random), dh and mw had a difficult time believing me...long story short, after 5 hrs, I had 4 ctx in 8 min, and DH ended up catching babe off the freeway.=) This time, I feel like I've been slowly laboring for a couple of days...we'll see.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#40 of 42 Old 04-29-2007, 05:46 PM

Well, I picked Contractions became longer and stronger but really I did lose the mucous plug way in advance a few times - but labor would wait from a few days to a week and I'd get a day of prodromal labor with hard labor at night - that was for ds1, ds3, and dd. Ds2 was induced.
#41 of 42 Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 AM

I said other. I was 2 weeks overdue and had CPD so I had to (very sadly) deliver via emergency c-section after about 28 hours of induced (with pitocin) but unmedicated (no pain meds) labor. Had to have an epi to have the c-section. Anyone ever heard of a natural delivery after a c-section due to CPD? She's almost a year and I'm so grateful to have her, but I do feel sad about my birthing experience. Worse than I ever could have imagined. Hoping for better next time. Thanks.
#42 of 42 Old 04-30-2007, 12:36 PM

because almost everything else didn't really happen to me. on all 3 births, no waters broke, no plug, no reg conx, no pain.
I just knew it was time when I had to moan thru the flexes. And couldn't talk.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page