Prenatal - swollen vulva and perineum - Yikes! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-13-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Normal BP and no edema elsewhere but my crotch is one swollen situation.
Sitting for 10 minutes puts it to sleep.

I am due in June. I have a healthy body weight and good diet.

Baby #3.

Can anyone relate or offer some advise of reduction?

Thanks in advance.

This is pretty funny so feel free to have a laugh. :
#2 of 18 Old 05-13-2007, 12:28 AM

I've had that happen before! Quite a few times actually (only during pregnancy) and it scared the crap out of me the first time.

That said, I have noticeed two things. I get a pinched nerve in my lower back. If I don't get it worked out fast enough than it seems to cut off blood supply and that tends to get swollen. Not swollen like a sprained ankle...more like a kidney bean....engorged...I don't know how to explain but I'm sure you know what I mean. When it is the nerve being inched only one side swells.

The other one (and this seems to be it more often than not) is if DH and I are foolin' around and we don't get in enough foreplay resulting in me not being aroused enough. It's almost like the swelling and engorgment from this situation is just misplaced. Instead of being there during foreplay and sex it kicks in afterwards. Add in all the friction and what not that go along with bding and it's even more pronounced. This one tends to swell everything up. :

The only thing I have found that helps is go underware-less when you notice it starting to happen. Seems cutting out that tiny amount of constriction really helps. Oh and don't cross your legs if you can help it.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#3 of 18 Old 05-13-2007, 12:30 AM

Can anyone relate or offer some advise of reduction?

Stick it up in the air? Do you like headstands?

I think I've had this happen....it's hard to remember now if it was prenatal or postnatal. But ice might help. Laying down (lying down?) forgive my inexcusable grammar might help. I love that earthmamaangelbaby spray, it helps hemmorhoids, so maybe it would help swollen cuchie too. And it smells yummy.

It'll probably pass on it's own, don't stand in one spot for too long

Feel better!
Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#4 of 18 Old 05-13-2007, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat View Post
Stick it up in the air? Do you like headstands?
this is just what I was thinking!
at my prenatal yoga classes we do chair assisted shoulder stands to take the pressure off the pelvic floor (not that I have much of that at 10 weeks) and that might help you.
basically lay on the floor with your feet on a chair and thenpress your hips up so baby is not putting pressure on your pelvic floor.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#5 of 18 Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 AM

Yep, pretty swollen down there too. I had one side fall asleep but not the other... pretty odd feeling

I've been doing some knees/chest position some if it bothers me.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#6 of 18 Old 05-13-2007, 12:12 PM

eek! that sounds familiar.

I remember sitting on cool washcloths to help calm the swelling down.
It didnt help that I had a big varicrose vein right on my labia.

I would try garlic to help with the swelling, otherwise, I have no advice,

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#7 of 18 Old 05-13-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! At least I don't feel like such a freak! LOL
#8 of 18 Old 05-14-2007, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What does it feel like for that area to fall asleep? I'm a bit swollen, normal for pregnancy, though. I don't think that she's ever fallen asleep though...didn't know it could do that?

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#9 of 18 Old 05-14-2007, 02:05 PM

I was swollen and DH says squishy, when we were, ahh, intimate. It was only in the 2nd and 3rd trimester with my second pregnancy. It was gone withing a few days after birth.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#10 of 18 Old 05-14-2007, 11:23 PM

A certain amount of swollenness is normal, it's hormonal.
#11 of 18 Old 05-15-2007, 11:35 AM

Hey, can I post some suggestions, or would that be unwanted medical meddling?
#12 of 18 Old 05-15-2007, 11:48 AM

Swimming. It gets the big heavy uterus up off off all those bloodvessels that feed the area.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#13 of 18 Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM

As far as I'm concerned, doctorjen, you're welcome to post here any time you want.
#14 of 18 Old 05-15-2007, 02:30 PM

fourlittlebirds - right back at you. Sometimes I have an idea or home remedy, but always hesitate to post because it's not like someone came over to the health professionals board and asked, KWIM?

I was going to suggest swimming as well.
Also, I really have good luck with mamas who have this resting in knee chest positition for 15 minutes every few hours (hands and knees, but head down on the bed or floor and butt in the air) Basically, this allows the uterus to hang free, not pressing on the pelvic vessels, and makes the swollen area non-dependent - this is the only easily obtainable position that gets this area to be higher than anywhere else so that fluid can drain.
Also, cool baths, especially in hot weather are at least soothing and may help also.
#15 of 18 Old 05-15-2007, 02:49 PM

"Sometimes I have an idea or home remedy, but always hesitate to post because it's not like someone came over to the health professionals board and asked, KWIM?"

Yeah, but you're a mom....and supportive of UC, right? I don't think you can be solely defined as a "birth professional"

I would hope that anyone who felt like they had something to contribute would be comfortable posting here. I'm always greatful for additional input.

Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#16 of 18 Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=doctorjen;8127720]I was going to suggest swimming as well.
Also, I really have good luck with mamas who have this resting in knee chest positition for 15 minutes every few hours (hands and knees, but head down on the bed or floor and butt in the air) Basically, this allows the uterus to hang free, not pressing on the pelvic vessels, and makes the swollen area non-dependent - this is the only easily obtainable position that gets this area to be higher than anywhere else so that fluid can drain.
QUOTE]

This is what works for me.

I also like to have no underpants on. Not sure why it feels better. Maybe less stuff to constrict the area that is swelling?

I try to avoids sitting for to long at a time. That helps avoid the pins and needles feeling.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#17 of 18 Old 05-18-2007, 01:18 AM

yeah- been there done that. hoping it doesn't happen with this baby. makes walking difficult, how do men handle "hanging things" down there?

i don't remember what worked, I KNOW it was an issue with baby#2 but I don't think it's really happened much since then, unless I have just gotten used to it.

Funny story- a 2nd time mom on one of my other lists many years ago was traumatized while grooming herself in preparation for a doctor's visit. She went on and on about how terrible it looked. Another woman said "get over it, there's a reason your belly is sticking out like that, it's because God doesn't even want you to see what that looks like. Forget about it, and keep your eyes where they belong."
What did I do when I read that sage advice, I went into the restroom and just HAD to investigate, how bad can it be?
Let's just say she was right.
swelling. veins. discoloration. stretch marks. Keep your eyes where they belong.
And men report that this whole enlarging thing is really sexy. Imagine.
#18 of 18 Old 05-18-2007, 01:26 AM

"keep your eyes where they belong.."

I have some good comebacks to that one but I'll be good and let it go:

Anyway, just wanted to cast another vote for swimming. It helps me with that lovely problem.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page