Cord Tie - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I plan to tie the cord off this time instead of using those nasty plastic clamps. I am going to make my own braided cord out of embroidery floss. How many strands do you think I should use for the tie? I don't want it to be too thick or to thin. Also, how long do you leave the cord when you tie it off? Or does it matter? This will be our first time not using the clamps so any insight would be great.

TIA
~Amanda
#2 of 40 Old 05-22-2007, 01:24 PM

I dont know anything official lol but I braided three strands together and I made two just in case we had to tie off before the placenta was out.
#3 of 40 Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Michele! I was afraid that 6 strands would be too thick but wasn't sure if 3 strands would be too thin. Now I will go the 3 strands. Having two on hand makes sense.
#4 of 40 Old 05-22-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmothergypsy View Post
How many strands do you think I should use for the tie? I don't want it to be too thick or to thin.
IMO it doesn't matter. IF you wait until the cord is done pulsating and the remaining cord blood kind of *gel-ifies*, when you cut it blood won't come out.

Quote:
Also, how long do you leave the cord when you tie it off? Or does it matter?
Call me dense but I can be confused by the plainest of speech.

If you mean how long a time you leave the braided cord on the stump before removing it, unless it got poopy or something I'd leave it on until the stump fell off. If you wanted it off sooner I'd think it would be okay to remove once the cord blood gels enough so there's no more seepage. I'm a big bleeder and for my children it was always within hours of birth.

If you're wondering how close to the baby do you cut the umbilical cord, we go out about an inch or so. I'm nervous with sharp instruments around newborns so I make it as long as I can while minimizing the risk of dirty diaper contamination and the chance it could get caught on something and tugged off prematurely.

If you meant something else just post back and I'll answer it if I can.

BV, who was once complimented (?) she was the most intelligent dizzy person someone had ever met
#5 of 40 Old 05-22-2007, 03:44 PM

We used three strands. We let the cord go white and limp and then used hemostats and cut the cord about a foot long because baby didn't want to be unwrapped at all. A few hours later when our house had warmed up more we tied the cord about an inch and a half away from his body and trimmed the cord shorter. The braid stayed on his stump until it fell off about 4 days later.
Wendi
#6 of 40 Old 05-22-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!

We always wait until the cord is totally done before doing anything with it.
No sense in being in any hurry.
I did mean how far away from the baby to tie it off. I was thinking 1 1/2 inches or so. Long but not too long. I hate getting close with sharp things too. lol!

All this makes me excited about having this baby, but I am not in any hurry either. ~smiling~

~A
#7 of 40 Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 PM

How long to make the tie? I've been debating on this... to tie a bow or not to tie a bow LOL

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#8 of 40 Old 05-22-2007, 11:11 PM

Haha, that would be great to see a nice pretty bow on your new baby!

Christian Texan Mama to Merika (5/2005), Nolyn (1/2007), Keagan (UC baby 9/2007), Four miscarried lovelies, and sweet Evangeline Rose who arrived 9/7/2010 (home/water birth).  Expecting our fifth blessing March 2012! Viva la Vegan Pregnancy, my friends! 
Mandymom.com

#9 of 40 Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM

OOH! Great thread. I was just going to use the horrid white clamp because that's the way I've always done it with my assisted births but now I'm looking forward to making a nice tie. I like the idea of a bow too. It will be a lot easier finding the greens and earth tones that seem to be this baby's colours in embroidery thread than in size newborn to three months clothing.

I would like to do a Lotus Birth, but since I had ppd with Phoenix I think it would be a good idea for me to eat the placenta. I also want to get dc in the hotsling asap since I don't want to dump too much housework on dd and I don't particularly want a bunch of well-meaning but bumbling acquaintances in my house trying to help out right after the birth,
#10 of 40 Old 06-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Someone needs to post a picture of the tie for me, please! So when you have your baby, please please please take a pic and post it!
#11 of 40 Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM

Does anyone happen to have a picture of their baby with a tied cord? All I have used was the plastic clamps as well.
#12 of 40 Old 06-21-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
It will be a lot easier finding the greens and earth tones that seem to be this baby's colours in embroidery thread than in size newborn to three months clothing.
NO kidding!!!!!! LOL!!!! It is either all pink or all blue, no yellows or greens and I prefer neutral colors.
#13 of 40 Old 06-21-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I had a photo of one that a mama shared with me, but I can't find the darn thing. sigh.....
#14 of 40 Old 06-21-2007, 08:37 PM

We always wait for the cord to stop pulsing, but even then, they seem to ooze just a bit, so we go ahead and tie just in case. We have always used dental floss (the regular waxed kind) if that gives you an idea of thickness. The cord tends to shrivel up pretty quickly, and then the floss is loose around the cord, so I just slip it off if it is bugging me or baby before the stump falls off at around day 4 or so.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#15 of 40 Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 PM

I didn't tie. We just waited a while before cutting. After something like two hours the valve between cord and baby will seal itself off, but we watched it well beyond that point to be absolutely sure. I felt very exhilerated after my birth. If I'd wanted to sleep right away I probably would have just used a new shoelace for that. I believe I had some on hand for that purpose. In fact I had a huge pile of birth supplies, and the only thing I used was the scissors to cut the cord, and could have done it without those. Maybe I used the chux later.

I was surprised at how fast it shrivelled up and dropped off! My first two had theirs covered in betadyne, and it took weeks to get them to dry out, and they got nasty and gooey before they did that. When we did nothing it worked so much better. You can also see three tiny little spots in his sweet little belly button, from where the three vein/artery/whatever they are calleds were. So cool.

Kiley
#16 of 40 Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 AM

Can you use something like yarn to tie it off??

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
#17 of 40 Old 06-24-2007, 01:16 AM

I'm subbing for all the ideas!
#18 of 40 Old 06-25-2007, 03:12 AM

:
#19 of 40 Old 06-26-2007, 07:30 AM

Hi Ladies,

It was so nice to see a discussion on this. I was excited a few months back when I saw a post for other options like the embrod floss and told a few friends who seemed like it sounded silly. So thank you because I can't wait to make two of these for my first UC in about 6wks. I too was wondering about the layers to braid and the tie part too. I plan on doing two colors braided together and making two also. Pics from someone's baby would be sweet. ;o)

Oh I have a pile of cross stitch thread and have not compared it to the embrod floss yet anyone else? Although if dental floss and shoe strings work then cross stitch thread should be fine as we have always waiting until limp and white too.

Take Care ~Angela
#20 of 40 Old 06-26-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeitX2 View Post
Hi Ladies,
Oh I have a pile of cross stitch thread and have not compared it to the embrod floss yet anyone else?

That is actually what I used. lol! I have like 7 of them made because I wasn't sure of what color I wanted to use. ~A
#21 of 40 Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 PM

yeah I would love to see some pictures too! this sounds great, but I am kind of imagination challenged lately. Blame it on the pregnancy brain.
#22 of 40 Old 07-01-2007, 10:28 AM

I think I bought cross stich thread. I didn't know there was a difference. ( I don't sew) What did was get three color, I let me girls each pick out a color. My hubby was not into going to the craft store so I pick pit a color with a name that would have mean for him. I am planning braiding them togother. I pic would be great to see what other have done.
Was think of tieing a not because a bow might slip off.
#23 of 40 Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 PM

Is there a difference between embroidery floss and cross-stitch floss? I make bracelets and cross stitch with the same stuff.

When you say to use three strands, do you mean three strings from the floss, pulling those off the main bundle in the same way you do when you cross stitch? Or do you mean three full threads with all the strings still combined, using it whole, the way you would when making bracelets?

I'm confused.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#24 of 40 Old 07-05-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
Is there a difference between embroidery floss and cross-stitch floss? I make bracelets and cross stitch with the same stuff.

When you say to use three strands, do you mean three strings from the floss, pulling those off the main bundle in the same way you do when you cross stitch? Or do you mean three full threads with all the strings still combined, using it whole, the way you would when making bracelets?

I'm confused.
yes, it's the exact same stuff, and they mean three full threads like with bracelets.
#25 of 40 Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 AM

I just made my cord ties last night

I had thought of making them the same then realized if we can't tell the babies apart different colors might help!

I did 3 strands of each color and then braided three of those together for a total of 9 strands per cord tie. So one cord has light pink, dark pink, and mint green. The other has dark purple, light purple, and blue. Very cute!

#26 of 40 Old 07-07-2007, 12:31 AM

Thank you!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#27 of 40 Old 07-07-2007, 01:26 AM

Just curious...what's the reasoning behind braiding it? Could you crochet/knit a cord and have it work just as well?

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#28 of 40 Old 07-07-2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
Just curious...what's the reasoning behind braiding it? Could you crochet/knit a cord and have it work just as well?
OK, now you're just showing off, Miss Fancy Pants... :

I still have no clue what the heck we're using. Dh is like, "can I just grab some kitchen twine???" Although all this talk of pretty colors and embroidery floss has me jones'n to hit the craft store. :

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#29 of 40 Old 07-07-2007, 10:19 AM

What's wrong with plastic clamps, anyway?
#30 of 40 Old 07-07-2007, 11:13 AM

You could crochet or knit or cord... if you know how to crochet or knit LOL

Nothing wrong with plastic clamps, except that they're so hard to get off and they hard and press on the baby's tummy.

I'm going to clamp with plastic clamps further from the belly button and then retie a little later with my braided ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page