UC a breech? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 06-15-2007, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine was transverse most of the time (till I posted about him being transverse, now I think he heard and has shifted position to who knows what) during this whole pregnancy, if he turns breech I'd rather do it at home, otherwise they'll csection me and that's BS! I got the book "Emergency Childbirth" by Dr. White, and they have a section on what to do if it's breech. Seems like the old time doctors could handle breech births, seems like the newer ones don't want to risk it for whatever reasons. People were telling me that there are many times where they flip right before labor starts, so I'll be hoping he comes out the right way eventually. Try not to worry and trust your 'inner voice'. Mine hasn't been wrong yet! If my little voice says I should transfer, I will, but only if I know something is 'wrong'.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#32 of 42 Old 06-15-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post
...Seems like the old time doctors could handle breech births, seems like the newer ones don't want to risk it for whatever reasons...
The younger ones (who are getting older all the time, oh, my!) have never been trained in vaginal breech birth. As they add more to medical school curriculum, they have to weed stuff out to keep it a four year program. Vaginal breeches are out as teaching c/s is the solution to breech babies, pre-eclampsia, failure to progress, past dates, etc.

Yup. Makes me like geezer docs and veterinarians more and more.

~BV
#33 of 42 Old 06-15-2007, 08:12 AM

In Emergency Childbirth, I do like that it says "When in doubt, do nothing". That's the best piece of advice. Most midwives now adopt the "hands off the breech" SOP for breech. Too bad most OBs who do vaginal breech are still very hands on and want to do breech extraction.

Would I UC a breech? Yes. So far Baby A is vertex, and B goes back and forth.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#34 of 42 Old 06-15-2007, 08:55 AM

I have NOT had a breech birth, so my opinion may be worth nothing, but I thought I'd write---

I had a dream in early pregnancy that my baby was born breech, so I decided to do all sorts of research about it beforehand. I read up on breech delivery, complications, etc.. I did this until I felt confident that I could deliver a breech baby if need be. My husband and I both read up on it, so he felt confident as well. After reading everything, I didn't see any reason why I couldn't birth a breech baby UC. Moot point, really, because my UC baby was born head down.

I agree with previous posts about it being a little too soon to tell. Some babies flip as labor approaches. FYI, my mom said I was breech later in her pregnancy and she sat up in bed and slowly turned me using her hands. One hand on my bum, one hand on my head and little by little, she slowly turned me herself.

Every time you hear someone say, "Breech birth increases the risks for blah blah blah blah blah, I'd NEVER do that," consider that there are people who say, "I'd never have a vaginal delivery, c-sections are just so much safer." My point? YOU decide what's best for you and your baby. From my perspective, reading about it helped to quell my fears and make me feel able to handle a breech birth UC.

Best birthing wishes!
#35 of 42 Old 06-15-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
"When in doubt, do nothing". That's the best piece of advice.
I also love the saying, "Don't just do something, stand there!"

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#36 of 42 Old 06-15-2007, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
I also love the saying, "Don't just do something, stand there!"
That's one of my favorites too -- just wish my brain would cooperate with it and not stress unnecessarily

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#37 of 42 Old 06-18-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryonyvaughn View Post
The younger ones (who are getting older all the time, oh, my!) have never been trained in vaginal breech birth. As they add more to medical school curriculum, they have to weed stuff out to keep it a four year program. Vaginal breeches are out as teaching c/s is the solution to breech babies, pre-eclampsia, failure to progress, past dates, etc.

Yup. Makes me like geezer docs and veterinarians more and more.

~BV
I totally believe it, gee, maybe that's why the c-section rate is rising alarmingly? Much easier for them just to snip snip cut rather than actually be skilled in birthing babies that aren't coming out as 'text book' cases. That's a shame that they aren't teaching how to do a breech birth anymore. It doesn't surprise me though.
:

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#38 of 42 Old 06-18-2007, 04:15 PM

I was so worried about that last time, so I read up on it and decided I'd UC a breech, rather than have a c/s. I'd rather have my baby head down, but I think having them vaginally as a breech is safer than c/s.

You already know about being careful with the babies neck. Water birth is great for this. I had my third right into the water, UC. If he'd been breech it would have been ideal.

Kiley
#39 of 42 Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Coming out of long-time lurker mode...

You do have a 'proven pelvis' and since it's not your first you have a little more operating room down there. I would definitely do a breech birth at homme over the hospital operating room, especially w/a proven pelvis!

Good luck and blessings! You CAN do it, if need be.
#40 of 42 Old 06-19-2007, 01:27 AM

I would have a UC if I knew my baby was breech. I consider it a variation of normal, and I think that sometimes there is a good reason for baby to be breech.

However, many many babies don't turn until 37 weeks. Some may not even turn until later than that. If your baby hasn't turned by 36/37 weeks, you might seek out a chiropractor who is experienced with the Webster technique. Within 2 to 6 sessions of that, almost all babies turn. There is also moxibustion (burning moxa sticks at the toe), and other alternative, noninvasive methods to turn a breech baby.

If you are considering a UC breech baby, invstigate waterbirth. It is one of the safest ways to birth a breech baby as the warm water keeps the cord from beginning to clamp down on the blood flow, prevents tearing, etc. And like others have said: hands off! And as always: listen to your body for what your baby needs to be born.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#41 of 42 Old 06-19-2007, 01:29 AM

Oh, and FWIW my grandmother had two breech babies (and one of those was her first!) in an age when they got you alone and terrified, strapped you on your back, drugged you out of your mind, and yanked your babies out of you. If she could give birth safely to breech babies twice under those horrific circumstances... well...

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#42 of 42 Old 06-19-2007, 02:33 PM

The reasons that Drs generally prefer c-section to breech is because studies have shown c-section to be safer for the baby. The thing is those same studies do not diffentiate between spontaneous breech deliveries, assisted breech deliveries and breech extractions (the later two are known to increase risk of neck and arm injuries, asphyxia and death). Obviously vertex delivery is ideal (and thus in my mind worth it to attempt non invasive techniques to flip the baby), but there is no reason to rule out a breech baby either.

BTW i've changed my tune on twin breech births. The risk of locked twins is so tiny that it is definately worth doing UC. We're UCing regardless of positioning.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page