GBS testing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2007, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how many are choosing or have chosen to have the Group B strep test near the end of pregnancy. And why or why not? Is it something you can do if you UP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2007, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can't test yourself, but most don't think it necessary and skip it.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 06-17-2007, 11:40 AM

I skipped it because I wouldn't have done anything differently. I decided if I had any risk factors (primarily long period of ruptured membranes or long pushing stage) I'd either go to the ped the next day or just be extra vigilent. But I had a 4 hour labor and short pushing stage so I wasn't really worried.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 AM

I wouldn't do GBS testing.

-Angela
Old 06-17-2007, 12:12 PM

so much 'skip it', as i don't go out of my way to do it.

does that make any sense? the default mode of birth/pregnancy throughout the existence of humanity does NOT include a GBS test. therefore, from a primal, anthropological, KISS kind of attitude, there is no way i would go trying to complicate my life in this manner.

same for PKUs, etc.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:15 PM

I didn't have GBS testing done with ds, and I have declined the test for this pregnancy. I didn't feel it was necessary because, if I remember correctly:

- you can test negative, but become positive by the time you go into labour, and vice versa
- you can be positive at the time of birth, but that does not necessarily mean the baby will get sick

Due to the first point, where the results of the culture test may not necessarily hold true at the time of delivery, I did not want to take the chance of having a lot of interventions done. Also, I don't remember if this is accurate, but I believe I was told that if I tested positive then my midwives would no longer feel comfortable with me birthing at home and they would transfer my care. So I chose to forego the test and everything turned out fine.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:08 PM

this is my 5th baby, never been tested, never want to be. I see it as just another excuse for intervention and control.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
Old 06-17-2007, 05:20 PM

I tested positive for GBS with my second child. It is likely I had it with my first child, even though I tested negative for it. I have chosen not to get tested, because, as someone already mentioned, you can have it one week and not the next.

Instead, I have opted to take probiotics in effort to have a negative when our child is born (but really, I wont know for sure, since I'm not going to be tested).

When I was using midwives (I am not now), they said they didn't really care either way. The choice was up to me, whether I wanted to be tested or not, and if I was positive, whether I wanted the IV or not.

Christian Texan Mama to Merika (5/2005), Nolyn (1/2007), Keagan (UC baby 9/2007), Four miscarried lovelies, and sweet Evangeline Rose who arrived 9/7/2010 (home/water birth).  Expecting our fifth blessing March 2012! Viva la Vegan Pregnancy, my friends! 
Mandymom.com

Old 06-17-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Good points for consideration. Thank you all! I wonder if high dosages of Vitamin C for a few weeks prior to delivery might aid as a preventative to possilbe infection along with the probiotics.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:40 PM

http://www.gentlebirth.org/cgi-bin/q...&maxresults=40
Here is some info on GBS testing etc.
I will not be getting tested as I see it as another factor to cause stress and worry. If I do have it I would not go to the hospital for antibiotics anyway (I would look to natural sources) and it is rarely transferred to the child.

Rebecca
Old 06-17-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyintraining2 View Post
Good points for consideration. Thank you all! I wonder if high dosages of Vitamin C for a few weeks prior to delivery might aid as a preventative to possilbe infection along with the probiotics.
It isn't a good idea to do this at all since the baby will be getting high doses and then withdraw after birth. I know I have read warnings on not taking high doses late in pg. Worth checking out the risks.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:06 AM

actually, vitamin C is just fine in pregnancy. Even bigger doses.

Check out the work of Dr. Klenner. Just google it, some fascinating information.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
Old 06-18-2007, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

I've looked into Klenner a lot. I know that if I chose to do high doses of C, I would need to continue to supplement the baby after birth. We did that with our son at his birth.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:04 AM

HI!
This is my 6th baby, 3rd homebirth. In the hospital for my first three, they just assumed I was GBS+ and administered antibiotics. With my last baby I tested positive. Then I drank lots of cranberry juice with vitamin c and took a vitamin c tab each day. I tested again before delivery, and I was negative.

User Tag List