Hospital transfer with UP - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No--you get automatic citizenship because your child is then a legal citizen after being born in the US (even when you are from another country and illegally here), I am not sure why immigration would be called at all--they can't do anything?????
And you are right, they cannot legally refuse any laboring mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
as far as immigration, I don't think mother's get deported after giving birth. do they? I have never heard of such a thing.

our border hospital has a HUGE sign in the ER in spanish and english that says they will not refuse ANY laboring mother,

FWIW--I am very happy to see this thread on CPS and hospitals. I had to go to the hosp Post UC--and while they were shocked that I had my baby at home--there were never any threats of CPS, social workers, etc. We refused to admit the baby but I had him at my side to nurse while I was there, and other then commenting on how huge he was and cute he was, no one tried to force us into anything.
#32 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 AM

this isn't true! I know what "anchor babies" are but have never heard of an illegal getting citizenship because thier child was born here! trust me, the parent does NOT get automatic citizenship. the child is allowed to sponsor thier parent at the age of 21 though. is this what you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWalker View Post
No--you get automatic citizenship because your child is then a legal citizen after being born in the US (even when you are from another country and illegally here), I am not sure why immigration would be called at all--they can't do anything?????
And you are right, they cannot legally refuse any laboring mother.

FWIW--I am very happy to see this thread on CPS and hospitals. I had to go to the hosp Post UC--and while they were shocked that I had my baby at home--there were never any threats of CPS, social workers, etc. We refused to admit the baby but I had him at my side to nurse while I was there, and other then commenting on how huge he was and cute he was, no one tried to force us into anything.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#33 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 AM

Your last sentance is a little misleading. I notice you are in Texas. I am finding the states near the border are alot more lenient on UP/UC. I know this isn't the case in the rest of the country though (especially in conservative areas where they won't bat an eye to call CPS on you if you had no prenatal care and/UC!) not everyone is so lucky to not get hassled! I have read stories of CPS involvement because of no prenatal care/UC many many times. it's always good to have a plan, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes View Post
I didn't read all the other posts but I thought I'd chime in b/c I have experience with this...
I up'ed and transfered and was NOT reported or told anything about cps whatsoever at the hospital I delivered at. We did however end up at a children's hospital when dd was 3 days old for an emergency medical condition that was overlooked, and the NICU doctor reported me and told me he didn't want to but "had" to. It really wasn't a big deal, just asked me some questions and that was that. They just want to make sure your not getting formal prenatal care b/c your neglectful.
If I were to do it over again, I wouldn't get formal prenatal care in fear of CPS afterwards, but probably consider it in hopes to avoid transferring if I need help in labor. (this is just what I would be most comfortable with after my experience) CPS isn't something to be afraid of unless you really are a crappy mom.

#34 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Okay so perhaps we are arguing semantics here? If the parent is allowed to stay in the country until the child is 21--what can we call that? I know for FACT that a mother will not be deported if she has her child stateside, so is it temporary citizenship? I know the mother is allowed to stay stateside and care for her child --is it only until the child is an adult? Actually there may be rules to that, as a mother I knew had a child with severe delay and he would likely never be able to live on his own-- so that may not have applied to her. Regardless, immigration is not called. I actually worked at a hospital in PP and I can assure you--we never called immigration......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
this isn't true! I know what "anchor babies" are but have never heard of an illegal getting citizenship because thier child was born here! trust me, the parent does NOT get automatic citizenship. the child is allowed to sponsor thier parent at the age of 21 though. is this what you mean?
#35 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
If a woman has an unassisted pregnancy and has to transfer to a hospital during labor, is the hospital required to report her to CPS for not having prenatal care? MIL told this to DP the other day and with her, I'm not sure if it's true or if she's just trying to scare me into seeing an OB. Any thoughts/experiences?
I agree that a hospital isn't required to, but it's a crapshoot, depending on the nurses and drs, what their individual attitudes and beliefs are... are you in the ER or the maternity ward...are you poor or well-to-do, etc....

My MIL tried scaring me into seeing an OB by flying the CPS flag. Didn't work, and then I faced CPS anyways (because of MIL) but still had a happy ending
#36 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 03:20 PM

not semantics but citizenship. I doubt the hospital's do anything quite frankly. I don't think they are allowed to in all actuality.

I don't know what the actual law is regarding the parent being allowed to stay stateside. I don't believe it though. a person who doesn't have citizenship is at risk of being deported at any time as far as I know. well where i live anyway that's the case. it may be different where you live of course. (unless they have a visa, green card,etc) it's a big deal where I am right now because alot of kids & parents are getting deported through the school system finding out the parent (or child) is illegal. though I think the schools have decided to stay out of the issue as well. (there were lots of protests and walk outs over this not to long ago)

anyway I guess the point is, they won't deport you if you are an illegal giving birth here.

ETA- I just read somewhere that mom's are never deported. i bet the dad's are though. ugh. you are right it is semantics.

Quote:
Okay so perhaps we are arguing semantics here? If the parent is allowed to stay in the country until the child is 21--what can we call that? I know for FACT that a mother will not be deported if she has her child stateside, so is it temporary citizenship? I know the mother is allowed to stay stateside and care for her child --is it only until the child is an adult? Actually there may be rules to that, as a mother I knew had a child with severe delay and he would likely never be able to live on his own-- so that may not have applied to her. Regardless, immigration is not called. I actually worked at a hospital in PP and I can assure you--we never called immigration......

#37 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
If the parent is allowed to stay in the country until the child is 21--what can we call that? I know for FACT that a mother will not be deported if she has her child stateside, so is it temporary citizenship? I know the mother is allowed to stay stateside and care for her child --is it only until the child is an adult? ......

This is OT but the mother and father can both be deported even if the child is a citizen doesn't matter the childs age although they tend to be less likely if child is a minor. They can choose to take the child with or leave child state side. If they choose to take the child with them the United States buys the plane ticket for the child. We have a current case here that the mom of a 18 month old was being deported but she was refusing to take the babe with her so after many protests the mom was given a TEMPORARY stay of deportation. If she doesn't get some form of citizenship within a specific time frame she will be deported with or without her baby. Soo I'm thankful hospitals don't report. I will link the article if I can find it.

ok back to topic

Mom to 6 with #7 on the way Sept 2014
#38 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 PM

it seems like maybe immigration will turn thier head the other way possibly for a mom of a tiny baby?

there was a case last summer of an illegal who gave birth in a border patrol helicopter over US soil (after being "rescued" from the desert). I always wonder what they did with the mom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakna4 View Post
This is OT but the mother and father can both be deported even if the child is a citizen doesn't matter the childs age although they tend to be less likely if child is a minor. They can choose to take the child with or leave child state side. If they choose to take the child with them the United States buys the plane ticket for the child. We have a current case here that the mom of a 18 month old was being deported but she was refusing to take the babe with her so after many protests the mom was given a TEMPORARY stay of deportation. If she doesn't get some form of citizenship within a specific time frame she will be deported with or without her baby. Soo I'm thankful hospitals don't report. I will link the article if I can find it.

ok back to topic

#39 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 04:59 PM

http://www.ncdsv.org/images/WomenRis...hUSJourney.pdf

(totaly off topic I know)

#40 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 05:06 PM

here is the story of the helicopter mom (sorry, I must post a disclaimer and say I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS SITE. it's just the only site I could find with info about it)

http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/mexmom.htm

The solution is "a humane law" to help people who are already here be reunited with their families without risking their lives, said Jose Matus, director of the Tucson-based human-rights group Derechos Humanos.

"It's an unfortunate part of U.S. policies," said Matus. "If the law would permit her to stay and work she would pay her hospital fees and the taxpayers wouldn't have anything to complain about. But instead she will be deported with the newborn."

#41 of 48 Old 11-29-2007, 05:26 PM

Here, CPS gets called for really small things, I doubt very much that if you transfered to the hospital here that they would not be called. They don't necessarily want your records (though they would in that case I'm sure), but they want to know who your care provider is. That's what they ask me any time I have been in the hospital (non-labor related). Last time I had someone who said she would do some care (I wanted to get the Group B test done, and one for iron levels near my due date) so I said her name. But I don't have anyone this time...

I'm going to keep records this time though (I didn't last time) re: weight, bp, fundal height, etc. It's lame but I'd rather take the time to do something like that than face the struggle of dealing with CPS - ANY day. It shouldn't have to be something we worry about but being prepared is never a bad thing.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#42 of 48 Old 11-30-2007, 04:36 AM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#43 of 48 Old 11-30-2007, 08:23 PM

I would lie. Here it's not uncommon to have an OB an hour away w the intent of birthing in a different hospital. It would not be far fetched to say, it came on so fast and I knew I would not make it when _____ (whatever floats your boat, the ER or what have you -- chances are if it is an ER, it's your dh or dp checking you in and he needs to just say we couldn't make it to XYZ hospital. If they ask who her doc is, he can honestly say I don't remember).

I have registered at the local hospital and they asked the name of my OB, I gave them a name of someone I had seen but was no longer and of course he was not in the system b/c it defined around here very well. I was registered as a patient who would get the on call OB for that hosptial. I was up front and said I would not be here, unless I don't think I will make it to XYZ hospital. And they were all smiles to be a back-up, I was being careful in their eyes.

Docs and hospitals can not release your records to anyone without your signature to do so as far as I am aware to some extent. We went to the ER w our child one night and our FP called to find out if we went b/c the FP on call doc had our name spelled wrong and could not find our entry in the hospital system.

Now if the hospital were to see a need to call CPS, then CPS might want to see records. There is no reason you can't print off something from the net and do your own prenatal checks and write them down. But I'd be calling a lawyer at that time and not relinquishing anything to CPS voluntarily.

Honestly, I don't see CPS being called in just for coming in to the ER w a labor emergancy. It happens more often than we know, mom waits too long at home, mom give birth in the car. etc
#44 of 48 Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMariposa View Post
I would lie. Here it's not uncommon to have an OB an hour away w the intent of birthing in a different hospital. It would not be far fetched to say, it came on so fast and I knew I would not make it when _____ (whatever floats your boat, the ER or what have you -- chances are if it is an ER, it's your dh or dp checking you in and he needs to just say we couldn't make it to XYZ hospital. If they ask who her doc is, he can honestly say I don't remember).
This is EXACTLY what I intend to do. I have seen my OB up until this point ( almost 27 weeks). He delivers at the upper class hospital 25 miles away. We have a small local hospital 4 miles away that pretty much ONLY delivers "medicaid" babies. If we have an issue we will go there immediatly & just spit out my former OB's name. I think the bigger issue will come into if you decide not to stay for 48 hours for observation etc etc

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#45 of 48 Old 12-01-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Okay so perhaps we are arguing semantics here? If the parent is allowed to stay in the country until the child is 21--what can we call that?
No, the parent is not allowed to stay in the country until the child is 21. Rather, the parent can be deported, with or without the child, and although the child is a natural-born American citizen, the child cannot sponsor the parent to return to the country until the child is 21.

Quote:
I know for FACT that a mother will not be deported if she has her child stateside, so is it temporary citizenship?
Nope, nope. I know for a FACT that an illegal immigrant mother of a citizen child can and will be deported, with or without the child (usually, but not always, her choice to make), if the INS gets hold of her. Fathers too. Now, if an illegal immigrant is married to a citizen, it's a different story. But the U.S. has deported plenty of mothers who came to the U.S. and had their children here. They come anyway, knowing this. And some of them make the terrible choice to leave their babies behind, to grow up in an American foster or adoptive home instead of in poverty. :

Quote:
Regardless, immigration is not called. I actually worked at a hospital in PP and I can assure you--we never called immigration......

Now, this is believable. I know that OSHA and even the police have been known to turn a blind eye and refuse to contact INS.
#46 of 48 Old 12-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcamommy View Post
I think the bigger issue will come into if you decide not to stay for 48 hours for observation etc etc
I believe normal vaginal birth is 24 hrs, some places 12hs. They can not make you stay. They can try. No ins usually results in a shorter stay. If you have ins that allows so many hours or days, the hospital might push for that max.

I might, lie about ins at intake and then file it myself later. Or make up that I said I didn't have it, with me. A laboring women is not exactly responsible for getting it all right!

It would depend on how I preceived the hospital to be about ins abuses. And a medicaid hospital is likely to keep a real ins payer longer given real ins pays them better - generally.

Find out ahead of time, if it makes you feel better, what the standard stay is and what criteria need to be met to leave earlier. Call L&D and ask, give a false name if they want to know who you are. Don't give details, just say you plan on having a baby soon and are looking into your hospital options and this is important to you b/c you have other children at home who need you. Make up whatever you want, be a mother of 6, they won't know you from anyone else IF you do end up with complications and land in the ER.

I think it is important for birth to get the "worries" out of the way. If that means calling the hospital and asking questions then do it carefully. You could be Mrs Duggar if you wanted to!
#47 of 48 Old 12-01-2007, 01:40 PM

keep in mind, they will try to keep your baby for 48hours for antx., if you have not been tested for GBS.

Quote:
I believe normal vaginal birth is 24 hrs, some places 12hs. They can not make you stay. They can try. No ins usually results in a shorter stay. If you have ins that allows so many hours or days, the hospital might push for that max.

I might, lie about ins at intake and then file it myself later. Or make up that I said I didn't have it, with me. A laboring women is not exactly responsible for getting it all right!

It would depend on how I preceived the hospital to be about ins abuses. And a medicaid hospital is likely to keep a real ins payer longer given real ins pays them better - generally.

Find out ahead of time, if it makes you feel better, what the standard stay is and what criteria need to be met to leave earlier. Call L&D and ask, give a false name if they want to know who you are. Don't give details, just say you plan on having a baby soon and are looking into your hospital options and this is important to you b/c you have other children at home who need you. Make up whatever you want, be a mother of 6, they won't know you from anyone else IF you do end up with complications and land in the ER.

I think it is important for birth to get the "worries" out of the way. If that means calling the hospital and asking questions then do it carefully. You could be Mrs Duggar if you wanted to!

#48 of 48 Old 12-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
You could be Mrs Duggar if you wanted to!
OOO! That's me! I will use that name. I wonder if they would believe me or question the name.

"Yes, this is Mrs. Dugger and I am about to pop out my 20th child, could you give me some info on your facility?"

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page