Hospital transfer with UP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If a woman has an unassisted pregnancy and has to transfer to a hospital during labor, is the hospital required to report her to CPS for not having prenatal care? MIL told this to DP the other day and with her, I'm not sure if it's true or if she's just trying to scare me into seeing an OB. Any thoughts/experiences?

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2007, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like she's trying to scare you! : That's BS.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 06-23-2007, 07:10 PM

The hospital isn't required to, but if they feel you were being 'negligent' (which of course is a vague and dangerous word) they CAN report you. However, as long as you don't come storming in screaming about how you UP-ed, you can totally gloss over the fact. Just tell them what you DID do as far as prenatal care, eating right, any home tests you do, and don't mention that it wasn't with a doctor. If they push, Iwould probably lie and say it was with a midwife. A hospital transfer with a UP would probably be an emergency anyways, so they aren't going to have time to ask to transfer your records, etc. They will ask you for information, and you give them what you know.

Best of luck.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Wow, it's sad how they try to turn something that has been going on with women for eons into something that 'must be done' at a hospital.

Yet male circumcision isn't considered 'cruel' or child abuse.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 06-23-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
If a woman has an unassisted pregnancy and has to transfer to a hospital during labor, is the hospital required to report her to CPS for not having prenatal care? MIL told this to DP the other day and with her, I'm not sure if it's true or if she's just trying to scare me into seeing an OB. Any thoughts/experiences?
In the event you should transfer your story is your prenatals were with a non-CNM whom you refuse to name. If they *assume* the non-CNM is someone other than you that's their problem. I don't think they'd report you to CPS for being mislead by some illegal HB MW masquerading as birth professional. <heavy sarcasm>

~BV
Old 06-24-2007, 01:17 AM

I think it can be different depending on where you live. I live in BC, and to say that you had an unregistered midwife will lead to being hasseled royally. I was quite open about the fact we'd birthed UC, and they said they had to call CPS for anything "out of the ordinary" but we never even heard from them. IT was really obvious that we really knew our stuff tho and we were treated really well.

Heather
Old 06-24-2007, 01:44 AM

I don't know about CPS but I do know of a woman here who was in my local ICAN who had a horrible time at a hospital when she transferred there late in labor from her midwife assisted hb. The midwife did not go with her because apparently she was afraid of losing her license from doing a vbac homebirth. The hospital was *horrible* to her. They insisted because she did not have any prenatal records that they had to to all these tests on her and they had to keep her baby for observation. She said she felt treated like a drug addict in off the street. The social worker came and talked to her and she was worried they could call CPS. Her baby was tested for drugs, and other things. She even had 3 other people there with her for support (including her husband) and these things couldn't be avoided, even though her husband insisted on following their baby everywhere.

It was very weird, and her advice was to always have prenatal records with you. I guess even if you did them yourself it would be something, but especially if you had prenatal care from a mw you can get copies of your records and show that you had care of some kind.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 AM

In my state midwives can get arrested for attending births. So my plan was just to say I had a midwife but that I refused to disclose her name.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Old 06-24-2007, 12:16 PM

I saw a cnm for the first half of my pregnancy, so I do have a name I could give them if pressed. I'm sure they won't be able to pull my records immediately and see that I haven't been to her in months.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Banned

I transfered to a hospital after having a UP with my son Julian. They weren't very nice to me, but I also wasn't exactly cooperating with what THEY wanted me to do, so who knows the reason.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:24 PM

UP's are very common in my area even when women intend to go to the hospital to birth, particularly in the hispanic community. Hospitals don't call CPS. They may not treat the mom well, though.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:29 PM

I had a UP and planned a UC VBAC (I transfered during the last hour due to meconium) I had no problems other than shock from the hospital personnel. I did let them cut me and do other things (like give DD eyedrops,Vit K)as to not make waves, but that was my choice. : I got my VBAC though!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwifetx View Post
UP's are very common in my area even when women intend to go to the hospital to birth, particularly in the hispanic community. Hospitals don't call CPS. They may not treat the mom well, though.

yup this is how it is here. (I'm near Nogales) I think they were more shocked I was white. sad but true.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:51 PM

btw i have to add the one nurse I saw was just completley STUNNED. at first she was kind of nasty seeming (but it was more out of shock than anything I think) as I was wheeled into the ER with meconium dripping down my legs yelling "I'm a VBAC!"

she did in fact pull my DH aside later (as I was being airlifted to another hopsital) and tell him that she did think I was very well educated and wasn't trying to UC out of ingorance, so that was the BEST compliment EVER!

if you do transfer be PREPARED to tell your story over and over and over. every nurse and aide seemed to come in my room for 2 days afterwards to hear the story they were utterly amazed I would attempt something so radical! the dr. on the other hand just was like, ok. whatever. he told me if I had stayed home she would have likely been born without a problem. (Minus theTONS meconium she swallowed ) he didn't sem too phased. he was more worried I was going to bleed out as i had placenta acreta.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
It may not be legally required in all states, but it may be hospital policy to do so in many cases. At the University of Michigan CPS has an office in the hospital so they can more easily get involved with cases like this, and they do other things that aren't so sinister as well.

Kiley
Old 06-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

i think the basics of prenatal care include:

a pregnancy test
checking weight and fundal height
checking fetal heartbeat (usually w/doppler)
various optional bloodworks and U/S

seems to me that you could simply 'opt out' of the optional stuff, and then just keep your own records of your changing weight, your blood pressure, the baby's heart beat (with a fetoscope), and have your partner measure the fundus regularly.

if you're that worried about it. and you can say "these are my prenatal records.'
Old 06-24-2007, 07:20 PM

well, i ended up in the hospital in labor after the entire time being UP. I have a close friend who is a certified midwife, and she helped me keep records of prenatal care, but she lives hours away from the hospital i ended up at, so i think they didn't believe me!

I was SO panicked about being at the hossy, however, that after they already had my name and info, and then wanted to do a blood draw, I completely lost it, got my stuff and started walking out--! I have a suspicion they wanted to get social services involved then--but a minute in the hallway to cry and calm my nerves, and i went back in and "surrendered". and the lady whom i thought was a social worker just said "good luck" with a smile and walked out. i was just honest with them, that of course i want to do what's best for the baby, but that i have a very big fear of needles and hospitals. The drs/nurses were pretty horribly rude at first, but after Claire was born and 100% okay like my prenatal care records indicated she would be, they lightened up considerably.
That's just my experience, and needless to say, it was terrifying and probably could have gone any direction besides good, if ykwim. so be careful!~

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 06-24-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
I transfered to a hospital after having a UP with my son Julian. They weren't very nice to me, but I also wasn't exactly cooperating with what THEY wanted me to do, so who knows the reason.
A lot of times in hospitals and with doctors, if you don't just roll over and be submissive, they take that as a challenge to their 'authority', or some such nonsense. Some of them want you to just do everything they say without question, or they get irritated, like how DARE you question them, they know everything! Not all medical professionals are like that of course, but they are out there. Sometimes even if you do what they say they are still @#$@$ anyway..go figure!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
depends on the community and the nursing staff and the doctor how common it is- at this point the hispanics are turned in to immigration. And I have seen drug testing of the newborn- and case workers come into the hospital room getting all the relevant info-- and babies kept extra days mandatory 48 hr stay because of unknown GBS status even if mom receives 2 doses of abx... so there are lots of games that can be played when you transfer to the hospital- regardless of UP or mw attended birth.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:55 PM

I transfered from a planned midwife attended HB...There were all sorts of CPS threats. They were never called though...there were a few court orders and a threat from the judge to call in CPS if I didn't agree to a section.

I think in my case it was more about me being completely uncooperative rather than Hbing though.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 06-24-2007, 10:07 PM

I think that we all should know and let it be known that making false CPS calls is a felony----
Old 06-24-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
I think that we all should know and let it be known that making false CPS calls is a felony----
It's a good strategy to let folks know false CPS calls are a felony. IMO the sorts of folks who would attempt to manipulate a woman's decisions by threats of calling CPS wouldn't want to put their own personal safety and convenience on the line.

That being said it is EXTREMELY difficult to get the name of a CPS tipster through legal channels. You have to convince a judge a crime was committed against you before they'll look up the name (which might never have been given in the first place.) Without a name and a motive to start off, it's very hard to convince a judge a crime was committed.

I'd never been reported to CPS until we moved to our current house. In a 13 month period there were SEVEN reports against me. I found it much more effective to ignore the situation around me, allow only immediate family members inside my house, and only call 911 if someone were to die before I could transport them to the hospital. I haven't had any problems since then.

~BV
Old 06-26-2007, 02:36 AM

I think it's a shame, to put it mildly, that a woman can't have an UP/UC without some thread of worry about CPS, etc. It's terrible... Why can't we just birth the wey we were meant to and that's best for us? Why can't/don't doctors and midwives just leave us alone until they're needed--I mean truly needed, when the mother says they are? I wish there were some machine we could give them, since they're so keen on measurements!, that would measure whether a woman was UC'ing out of ignorance or education. And then they'd take over in the ignorant cases and leve the educated ones well enough alone. DAMN shame, this! By the time they finish all their lectures and other *stuff*, babies could be dead and mamas could be suffering severely, if they're not already... Sorry for the rant! I have my own issues with people and CPS, and didn't mean to get off topic.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
yes but who is going to investigate that or think a dr or nurse would not be beleivable? (sad but true!)

I found assertiveness helped me more than anything. I did let them cut me etc. but I didn't just roll over and give birth either. I argued with them about the safety of my planned UBAC and UP. as well as the position of baby (one nurse thought she was breech and I knew exactly her position as I wasn't having another c/s due to positioning!) I was a little vigilant about it. lol. I think that took my nurse aback. hehe. I also made it known I wasn't just some stupid person not caring for myself or my baby. mainly they wanted me to agree to a hysterectomy (due to the placenta acreta) and I was like NO WAY IN HELL!! they were surprised I even knew what the acreta was) so they transferred me instead. TMC was a bit more intense (I think if I had my baby with me there they MIGHT have called CPS, my one dr. was sort of a B**ch about it at first, she was also at my first birth c/s nad tried to give me misinfo. on that!) the nurses were just amazed and overall pretty supportive. I think if you can get the nurses on your side you'll be ok

Old 06-26-2007, 12:40 PM

I did have two UCs so far and withthe last I transferred to the hospital, I was treated horribly and they were unconvinced that I had recieved prenatal care. I had coplete records with a CNM who did practice in their hospital but because I did not have a copy of my records with me I was subjected to a slew of completely unnecessary questions including, Did you drop the baby? ( He was a face presentation), Have you ever been tested for std's... he has a blister on the center of his upper lip ( a nursing blister, which I explained to the doc and she was surprised, she had never seen one! She was convinced that I had herpes). We were also lectured by every nurse and doc who entered the NICU to talk wth us, except for the head of the NICU, he said that we had acted in the same way that the hospital would have and that he was fine. The biggest problem for us was that we don't vax and that made alot of people angry and it prevented our older kids from entering to visit our baby and we were threatened by a few nurses about how that was extremely dangerous and that we could lose our kids.
I will have records with me when I birth at home UC this time just in case we had to transfer, I would rather avoid that whole mess.
laura

laura, dh Brian, ds Rory 14, dd Ellie 13, ds Caelan 11, ds Seamus 9, ds Finn 7 and Penelope 2 !!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 PM

as far as immigration, I don't think mother's get deported after giving birth. do they? I have never heard of such a thing.

our border hospital has a HUGE sign in the ER in spanish and english that says they will not refuse ANY laboring mother,

Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 PM

oh yeah they vaxed my baby (without consent-hep B!) and did antx. I was in another hospital at that point. my poor baby got thrush at 1 week old. :cry

if I ever get pg again I doubt I will be able to UC (too many complications after both of my births leads me to feel the hospital IS safer for ME as that's where I always end up anyway) but I would definitly go UP again and would go in crowning like I did with DD!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:26 AM

it maybe very unpleasant to try and prove that someone made false claims- but the bigger point and something to say- to someone trying to muscle you is that it is a felony to falsely report----- and I would probably insist noting on the chart that cohersion was used rather than INFORMED CONSENT
Old 11-28-2007, 11:37 PM

So, it sounds like if you have to transfer, and have gone UP, it's luck as to how well you will be treated/CPS calls?

Is there any way to find out a hospitals policies/attitudes ahead of time? Esp. if you have several hospitals in the area - is it better to go to a hospital in the 'rich' part of town, etc, etc??

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
Old 11-29-2007, 02:41 AM

I didn't read all the other posts but I thought I'd chime in b/c I have experience with this...
I up'ed and transfered and was NOT reported or told anything about cps whatsoever at the hospital I delivered at. We did however end up at a children's hospital when dd was 3 days old for an emergency medical condition that was overlooked, and the NICU doctor reported me and told me he didn't want to but "had" to. It really wasn't a big deal, just asked me some questions and that was that. They just want to make sure your not getting formal prenatal care b/c your neglectful.
If I were to do it over again, I wouldn't get formal prenatal care in fear of CPS afterwards, but probably consider it in hopes to avoid transferring if I need help in labor. (this is just what I would be most comfortable with after my experience) CPS isn't something to be afraid of unless you really are a crappy mom.

User Tag List