Mothering Forum banner

I'm Pregnant!!! Update post #77

35K views 335 replies 113 participants last post by  georgia 
#1 ·
So..... I think I'm like.............................................. ..............................
6 or 7 MONTHS pregnant!!!!

My belly's getting bigger, and I'm feeling KICKS! Not just those little "butterfly" kicks (which I did feel a month or 2 ago, but talked myself into it that they were just gas), but hard KICKS! Nothing but maternity clothes fit, I can feel and see my uterus about 3 inches over my belly button, and my wedding ring is too small (which only happened when I was PG w/DD).

The weird part, though, is that I haven't gotten a positive pregnancy test.
: I've taken 4 of them in the last two weeks, (one $ store test, 2 name brand tests, and one at Planned Parenthood) and none came up positive. So I'm wondering if they're accurate this far along?
I'm also getting periods every month, and my breast milk supply has been unaffected.
Now, when I went to Planned Parenthood I asked her about it, she palpitated my stomach and told me, get this, that I had "extra intestines", was probably extra gassy and maybe had a thyroid problem. HOW does someone get "extra intestines"????
: And the only symptoms of hypothyroidism I had were fatigue, constipation, and irritability. Also pregnancy symptoms.

So, I'm just taking a wait and see attitude as I had already planned to UP/UC my next child. I may rent a Doppler or just buy a fetoscope to get some confirmation. I made a list last week of all the things I'll need for a waterbirth and it should only be about $150! And this'll be soo much less stressful than with dd's pregnancy/birth.

See less See more
#53 ·
the bebe sounds thing isn't really a doppler at all, just a sensitive microphone. I wouldn't waste your money.

#55 ·
I never got a + preg test with my now (almost) 7yo, I'll share that story. Dh and I were going through a rough spell and separated in Nov. In Dec. I had a lighter-than-normal period and some nausea, thought I might be pg and bought 2 hpt's. Both were negative. January, dh and I were still separated, period came as expected, still a bit lighter and shorter than usual, still having nausea and now vomiting, took another 2 hpt's, both negative. Feb. rolls around and instead of a period I get something more like a hemorrage, seemed exactly like when I had a m/c years prior. Dh and I were talking at this point but still not living together, so there had been no opportunity for "relations" since Nov. I went to the OB because of the cramping/bleeding even though it had stopped by my appt. date.

OB did an internal and said my uterus was enlarged and had me poas. Negative. He said it was likely that I had some kind of a tumor in my uterus and he scheduled an u/s for the following week to confirm the placement of the tumor and schedule surgery (he was trying to see if I needed a hysterectomy or just removal of the tumor). Next week, it's almost march now, and I haven't had sex since Nov. remember, and he says, "Oh my, your tumor has a heartbeat!" I almost fell off the table telling him it just wasn't possible lol! Then he measured, and baby measured in at 24wks, so yes it was possible. What was funny was that my dd who was 3 at the time told me earlier that same week that my belly looked like her aunt's belly and maybe I had a baby in there only smaller than her aunt's! She knew before I did
but she wasn't relying on some test.

I was in my mid 20s and this was my third pg, there was no reason I shouldn't have known. Except I didn't trust my intuition enough and relied on those stupid tests more than my own feelings. I don't know why I never got a + on the hpts, but I had at least 5 that pregnancy without a positive result. Yet there was definitely a baby in there!

Anyway, that's my story fwiw - the tests are wrong sometimes.

#60 ·
Wow! Subbing now to hear the results for both of you!!!

One of my friends had a 10lb 8 oz baby last year and never knew she was pregnant. She started bleeding really heavily and contracting and thought that she must be having an early miscarriage (as she'd had her period the whole time and had taken several tests that were negative). Got into the hospital and had her HUGE baby. I couldn't believe it. So it definitely does happen.

#62 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by townmouse View Post
Well, I finally (2:00) heard from the ob/gyn's office. All my bloodwork was within normal limits, and the preg. blood test was negative!

:

still thinking it over...
I think I'd definitely find someone who was willing to do an u/s for you, mama. *hugs*

#64 ·
thanks for the hug, moonprysm! i'm still sitting here feeling kind of
:

I don't want to go back to that ob/gyn. My homebirth midwife moved out of state and I don't know anybody else. Maybe I should ask on FYT; surely somebody in Indianapolis can tell me a name!

I feel weird telling another doctor or midwife or anybody that I've been having periods (sort of), and all the poas and blood tests were negative.

#65 ·
alright, I'm calming down enough to think clearly

I'm not going back to that ob/gyn. I do not care for her "shoot butterflies with rifles" approach.

I'm going to find a midwife in the area that can help with the ultrasound thing, because I feel like "I" will not believe there's no baby until "I" see an ultrasound. I'll decide what next, after that.

I'll keep you all posted! This has been a very weird experience so far. If I'm not preg. I'm OK with that; I just want to know for sure.

#67 ·
Definitely check for tumors! My mom had one with my brothers (twins via Depo
). They thought it was a third baby since her hcg levels were insane even for twins. Long story short it was a tumor producing extra HCG. Got it removed and then had my brothers at term.

Man, reading my last two posts here I realized I know a lot of women with funky uterus happenings.

#68 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by townmouse View Post
Well, I finally (2:00) heard from the ob/gyn's office. All my bloodwork was within normal limits, and the preg. blood test was negative!

:

still thinking it over...
I'm sorry the tests didn't anwer your questions. I know I *always* think I "feel pregnant" but let's be practical...no symptoms which are conclusive, all test results are negative, you've been even having your period (said as one who has had periods during the first month of pregnancy), I just don't understand why it's even a "what if" question anymore!

I hope you can get the u/s, or simply let it be unless your symptoms are so much that it could be a medical emergency...why NOT be the lady who wakes up with a baby between her legs?! At some point, you either are or aren't and if no test can prove you are....then what do you do?

#69 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
why NOT be the lady who wakes up with a baby between her legs?! At some point, you either are or aren't and if no test can prove you are....then what do you do?
The problem with that approach is that there could be a very serious medical condition that is causing the "pregnancy" like symptons. Just waiting around to see if a baby pops out in a few months is just time delaying possible life saving treatments.

I have to agree with the others-if you are still pretty sure you're pregnant, get an u/s to be 100% sure. Despite all other tests being negative, you'd definetly be able to see a baby at this point. Then you will know to expect a baby or you can procede with other testing for your health.

#71 ·
Well, I'm going to make some dietary modifications and see if this really is incredible, painless "gas." I have celiac disease, and I guess it is possible I'm getting some hidden gluten somewhere. That might cause symptoms funky enough to feel like kicking in a worn-out abdomen!

I checked on my celiac board, and it has happened to other women. Turned out to be weird gas from celiac disease.

So I'm going to go 30 days on an ultra-clean diet and see if the "kicking" stops.

The only other major symptom is the colostrum (seems to be) but I did wean a child within the last 6 months so ?

I'm just not a hypochondriac; I certainly felt pregnant! I'll update y'all after a month on a super-careful diet with no beans
or commercial foods and maybe I'll be "cured." Or maybe I'll be very obviously pregnant. If there is still kicking I'll pursue an ultrasound then. Watch this space.

(FWIW I think the OP is more likely to be pregnant than I am)

#74 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephanie L. View Post
I didn't see it earlier, but were you TTC? Were you charting? Are you familiar w/ CM, have you felt that "feels like lips not tip-of-nose" cervix?
Yes, I was TTC, but not charting (other than recording period dates). We haven't used birth control since dd was born, it was just a pregnancy-will-happen-when-it-happens kind of thing. And I'm not familiar with my cervix, mucous or otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by townmouse
maybe I'll be "cured." Or maybe I'll be very obviously pregnant
Let us know what happens townmouse!

#76 ·
I had a dermoid - those are really weird - they can have hair, lung tissue, teeth - all kinds of freeky things. I've had such an easy pregnancy my mom asked me "are you sure you are pregnant and it's not a tumor?" I said "yes mom, it's kicking me." She said, "Well with you , it could still be a tumor!" Very silly!

#77 ·
I bought a Bebe Sounds hearbeat listener today.
: I got it off Craigslist for $11 bucks, though, so I figured it would be okay, even if it didn't work. But it did! I definitely heard the "galloping horses" heartbeat! And "he" was kicking at it, too. So I got to hear the little kicking thumps. Sooo sweet!
I think I heard the placenta, too, the "whoosh", up near the top. I played with it for over an hour!

I'll try to record it in the next day or two and I'll post it to this thread.
I've been reading the pregnancy calenders, looking at what would be going on at what stages in pregnancy, and I think I'm 24-26 weeks along. I can feel my uterus about 2.5 inches above my belly button. If I'm right, that would make me "due" in October. For some reason I'm really drawn to the 16. No clue why. We'll see what happens!
I'm definitely going to have everything together by August, though! Just to be safe! And dd's getting a pool next month that I just may need to "borrow" later on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.