Mothering Forum banner

I'm Pregnant!!! Update post #77

35K views 335 replies 113 participants last post by  georgia 
#1 ·
So..... I think I'm like.............................................. ..............................
6 or 7 MONTHS pregnant!!!!

My belly's getting bigger, and I'm feeling KICKS! Not just those little "butterfly" kicks (which I did feel a month or 2 ago, but talked myself into it that they were just gas), but hard KICKS! Nothing but maternity clothes fit, I can feel and see my uterus about 3 inches over my belly button, and my wedding ring is too small (which only happened when I was PG w/DD).

The weird part, though, is that I haven't gotten a positive pregnancy test.
: I've taken 4 of them in the last two weeks, (one $ store test, 2 name brand tests, and one at Planned Parenthood) and none came up positive. So I'm wondering if they're accurate this far along?
I'm also getting periods every month, and my breast milk supply has been unaffected.
Now, when I went to Planned Parenthood I asked her about it, she palpitated my stomach and told me, get this, that I had "extra intestines", was probably extra gassy and maybe had a thyroid problem. HOW does someone get "extra intestines"????
: And the only symptoms of hypothyroidism I had were fatigue, constipation, and irritability. Also pregnancy symptoms.

So, I'm just taking a wait and see attitude as I had already planned to UP/UC my next child. I may rent a Doppler or just buy a fetoscope to get some confirmation. I made a list last week of all the things I'll need for a waterbirth and it should only be about $150! And this'll be soo much less stressful than with dd's pregnancy/birth.

See less See more
#104 ·
On the u/s issue, IMO the dangers as they are effect only the undeveloped baby (first trimester) and a 6-7month fetus it might well be worth the exposure.

I'm ALL FOR women deciding how to care for their own bodies in any way they see fit. I back you 100% Cody's Mama, in your intuition and even now with the probable confirmend FHT and certainly don't want to undermind that by questioning you personally.

But in this case, might it be worth the risks of u/s to confirm rather then have egg on your face in the chance that you aren't pregnant? What about dating? What happens if/when 44 weeks roll by and you're still waiting patiently? when is too long...too long? SB do happen in UCs, as do perfectly healthy, nature loving mamas getting cancer from living in this infected world.

Recently one of my husbands employees had a 23 lb benign tumor removed from her gut. She appeared to be in "labor". Had pains, loose stools, red face (you aren't allowed to ask your employees if they are pregnant but she obviously was and this is what was assumed) she refued to clock out, so eventually she was pursuaded to go to the ER. My husband having been at all our births called me asking if I'd come in and see if she needed anything or if I could get her to go home at least to have her "baby"!!

Turns out it was a tumor (and she was a virgin, poor girl! and so embarassed!

#105 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JEB20005 View Post
I am just really curious about why you aren't compelled, at the very least, to have the pregnancy dated?
This far along in pregnancy u/s is not a very accurate way to determine dates anyway. It's most accurate before 12 weeks.

#106 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by homemademomma View Post
have you considered getting an u/s just to be sure? it is possible to think you hear the HB with one of those microphone thingies, but you could be mistaken. the facial hair could be a sign of a hormonal problem

eta or at least see a symathetic MW, maybe? i am all for UC,but i think consulting a professional is vital when things are as iffy as you are describing.
Ya, but the baby is KICKING away the microphone when she listened! I don't think that can just happen. iykwim.

#107 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Codi's Mama View Post
I bought a Bebe Sounds hearbeat listener today.
: I got it off Craigslist for $11 bucks, though, so I figured it would be okay, even if it didn't work. But it did! I definitely heard the "galloping horses" heartbeat! And "he" was kicking at it, too. So I got to hear the little kicking thumps. Sooo sweet!
I think I heard the placenta, too, the "whoosh", up near the top. I played with it for over an hour!

I'll try to record it in the next day or two and I'll post it to this thread.
I've been reading the pregnancy calenders, looking at what would be going on at what stages in pregnancy, and I think I'm 24-26 weeks along. I can feel my uterus about 2.5 inches above my belly button. If I'm right, that would make me "due" in October. For some reason I'm really drawn to the 16. No clue why. We'll see what happens!
I'm definitely going to have everything together by August, though! Just to be safe! And dd's getting a pool next month that I just may need to "borrow" later on.

Congratulations!!! I think you are about right on for dates based on measurement and baby kicks.
I think this is so exciting and I think it a great lesson for women to realize that we CAN listen to our bodies and they WILL tell us what is going on.
I personally chose not to test this time and just let my body show me what was going on. It has been awesome! I see no reason to have a "professional" tell me what is going on or anything else. We are quite capable of "knowing" and it won't be long and you will be totally able to confirm all you have learned. You sound like a well informed mama!

Enjoy!

~A

#109 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
Turns out it was a tumor (and she was a virgin, poor girl! and so embarassed!
Ok that last line right there should have been more than enough reason for the girl to realize. Come on....sex ed sucks in this country but it's obvious you have to have sex (or IVF) to get pregnant...sure there are rare cases where the pre-cum gets a girl pregnant but those are pretty rare. The OP was ttc so there was obviously all the right actions a happinin'.

Congrats op! It'll be interesting following your story!

#110 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
This far along in pregnancy u/s is not a very accurate way to determine dates anyway. It's most accurate before 12 weeks.
Yep, the best you'd get at this point is only an estimate - it could be off by a few weeks either way just becaues babies vary a lot in size, and probably wouldn't be all that helpful. I can see it potentially creating more problems than it solves... other than of course the clear confirmation of a pregnancy.

#111 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
Ok that last line right there should have been more than enough reason for the girl to realize. Come on....sex ed sucks in this country but it's obvious you have to have sex (or IVF) to get pregnant...sure there are rare cases where the pre-cum gets a girl pregnant but those are pretty rare. The OP was ttc so there was obviously all the right actions a happinin'.

Congrats op! It'll be interesting following your story!
oh she didn't think she was pregnant, she was embarassed because everyone else assumed she was.

I also can't wait to see how it all plays out for you, Cody's Mom!

#114 ·
Quote:

I'll see if I can get some good ones. I had DH take a few, but they've come out bad. I'll see if I can figure out how to take pics of myself with the camera.
Okay, this may be really super obvious, but... Take a picture of yourself in the mirror!
I saw someone's belly pictures a few months ago where she had done that, and they were great! And I thought back to myself at 8.5 months trying to set the camera timer, run away to the right distance and pose myself properly, and I couldn't figure out why I never thought of a mirror.

hapersmion

#115 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post
Okay, this may be really super obvious, but... Take a picture of yourself in the mirror!
I saw someone's belly pictures a few months ago where she had done that, and they were great! And I thought back to myself at 8.5 months trying to set the camera timer, run away to the right distance and pose myself properly, and I couldn't figure out why I never thought of a mirror.

hapersmion
I did that when I wanted to get a picture of ds in a back carry in my mei tai. It came out so well that my dad thought someone else had taken a picture of me holding my camera.

#116 ·
Haha! I thought of that, but didn't want to clean all the hand prints off a mirror!
:
I wan't sure how well it'd work, but I'll clean one and try it tonight!

#118 ·
Oh mama! How wonderful! I thought you were pg . . .
I'm happy for you! BTW, my birthday's the 13th, so maybe . . .

Oh, and ITA about not getting an U/S! I got one last time b/c I didn't know enough to make the informed decision I would have made otherwise, i.e. not to get one, but next time it's a no-go. I hope you'll keep updating us!

BTW, DS kicked at the U/S thingie too, so I know what you mean about that being unmistakable.

#120 ·
Huh...I have felt "phantom kicks" since my daughter was born. Some of them are pretty damn realistic, too. Including some that "kick my hand away." I have spoken to other moms who report feeling the same thing years after their last kid was born. I don't think kicks are definitive at all.

I dunno, if it were me I'd want to get it confirmed somehow. Even just a fetascope and a midwife, if you're that worried about US exposure. Even a fetascope would be more accurate than those crappy little home microphone things.

#121 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
Huh...I have felt "phantom kicks" since my daughter was born. Some of them are pretty damn realistic, too. Including some that "kick my hand away." I have spoken to other moms who report feeling the same thing years after their last kid was born. I don't think kicks are definitive at all.
I have had those too.

I worked in a nursing home when I was a teenager. There was a women there who looked very pregnant, her belly was swollen and you could see "kicks" when you looked at her abdomen. It really freaked me out when I first saw it. As it turned out, she had a hernia, and the "kicks" were her intestines moving during digestion.

#122 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post

I dunno, if it were me I'd want to get it confirmed somehow. Even just a fetascope and a midwife, if you're that worried about US exposure. Even a fetascope would be more accurate than those crappy little home microphone things.
I haven't felt those "phantom kicks" since dd was about 2 months old. And it's not just one "kick my hand away" kick, it's multiple ones, at predictable times (when I'm using the heartbeat listener, when I press my belly up against a counter or car's seat to reach something, when dd's leaning on my belly while nursing, etc. etc.) and it's at unpredictable times, too. I know you're saying I don't look very big. I totally understand. I didn't look noticeably pregnant w/ dd until my 7th month, when I just popped out. It was crazy in a few weeks I went from just looking fat to looking *pregnant*. I only gained about 14 lbs through dd's entire pregnancy anyway.
Eh, I'm through messing with "him" for now. I'll just wait a few weeks and see if I'm feeling like I need to do something then.

#123 ·
Quote:

I know you're saying I don't look very big. I totally understand. I didn't look noticeably pregnant w/ dd until my 7th month, when I just popped out. It was crazy in a few weeks I went from just looking fat to looking *pregnant*. I only gained about 14 lbs through dd's entire pregnancy anyway.
But that was your first pregnancy. I think second (and subsequent) pregnancies are different, since everything has already been stretched and moved before. I already look different, just at 7 weeks, than I did when I was pregnant with my son. I didn't wear maternity clothes until 20 weeks with him; I expect much different this time around.

I'm not trying to criticize you. I just have to agree with the other posters. If I were you I'd be running to an ultrasound and a doctor.

Sidenote: does anyone read Philippa Gregory or other historical fiction? Supposedly Queen Mary (I think) had several "pregnancies" where her abdomen got large. But 9 mos came around and she never delivered. Gradually it disappeared. Weird, huh.

#124 ·
if you go to a good MW, she should be able to hear the HB with a fetascope if you are as far along as you think you are. she could also do a blood hcg if she couldnt hear the HB or feel the baby. it seems like a visit to a mw to get an "expert" to listen with a fetascope would be a very non-invasive way of getting confirmation

ITA with the phantom kicks- i get that too! totally wierd.

#126 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
But that was your first pregnancy. I think second (and subsequent) pregnancies are different, since everything has already been stretched and moved before. I already look different, just at 7 weeks, than I did when I was pregnant with my son. I didn't wear maternity clothes until 20 weeks with him; I expect much different this time around.

I'm not trying to criticize you. I just have to agree with the other posters. If I were you I'd be running to an ultrasound and a doctor.

Sidenote: does anyone read Philippa Gregory or other historical fiction? Supposedly Queen Mary (I think) had several "pregnancies" where her abdomen got large. But 9 mos came around and she never delivered. Gradually it disappeared. Weird, huh.
Hrm. Well with my second (current) I only Just now popped out where it was noticable that I wasnt just getting fat.
I am 23 weeks along, and with my first I didnt show til probably 25 weeks. So I didnt pop as soon as I thought I wouldnt with it being my second.
I did get bigger, I did need to wear more generous clothing sooner, but no one else knew unless I told them.

I really am a believe it when I see it type. Even though I had a positive test and knew when I conceived, I still needed an u/s to reassure me. Thats just me though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Does everyone know this is the UC forum?
:

Yes, but not everyone who plans to UC also does UP.

#127 ·
Quote:

Okay, I finally got DH to take a good one!
And here's a couple more.
You look the same size as the mama I am working with right now who is 24 weeks pg!!!!! lol!

(thought I should explain that--lol! I have a very young friend that is pg with baby #1 that I am working with to educate and prepare for a home birth. I do attend births with families that ask and I prefer that the family want to do the birth themselves (uc) but for some reason just aren't there yet or just want a friend there. Far better choice than a hospital birth they would be stuck with. Just wanted everyone to understand that comment.)

~A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.