I'm Pregnant!!! Update post #77 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
Huh...I have felt "phantom kicks" since my daughter was born. Some of them are pretty damn realistic, too. Including some that "kick my hand away." I have spoken to other moms who report feeling the same thing years after their last kid was born. I don't think kicks are definitive at all.
I have had those too.

I worked in a nursing home when I was a teenager. There was a women there who looked very pregnant, her belly was swollen and you could see "kicks" when you looked at her abdomen. It really freaked me out when I first saw it. As it turned out, she had a hernia, and the "kicks" were her intestines moving during digestion.
#122 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
Huh...I have felt "phantom kicks" since my daughter was born. Some of them are pretty damn realistic, too. Including some that "kick my hand away." I have spoken to other moms who report feeling the same thing years after their last kid was born. I don't think kicks are definitive at all.

I dunno, if it were me I'd want to get it confirmed somehow. Even just a fetascope and a midwife, if you're that worried about US exposure. Even a fetascope would be more accurate than those crappy little home microphone things.
I haven't felt those "phantom kicks" since dd was about 2 months old. And it's not just one "kick my hand away" kick, it's multiple ones, at predictable times (when I'm using the heartbeat listener, when I press my belly up against a counter or car's seat to reach something, when dd's leaning on my belly while nursing, etc. etc.) and it's at unpredictable times, too. I know you're saying I don't look very big. I totally understand. I didn't look noticeably pregnant w/ dd until my 7th month, when I just popped out. It was crazy in a few weeks I went from just looking fat to looking *pregnant*. I only gained about 14 lbs through dd's entire pregnancy anyway.
Eh, I'm through messing with "him" for now. I'll just wait a few weeks and see if I'm feeling like I need to do something then.

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

#123 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi's Mama View Post
I know you're saying I don't look very big. I totally understand. I didn't look noticeably pregnant w/ dd until my 7th month, when I just popped out. It was crazy in a few weeks I went from just looking fat to looking *pregnant*. I only gained about 14 lbs through dd's entire pregnancy anyway.
But that was your first pregnancy. I think second (and subsequent) pregnancies are different, since everything has already been stretched and moved before. I already look different, just at 7 weeks, than I did when I was pregnant with my son. I didn't wear maternity clothes until 20 weeks with him; I expect much different this time around.

I'm not trying to criticize you. I just have to agree with the other posters. If I were you I'd be running to an ultrasound and a doctor.

Sidenote: does anyone read Philippa Gregory or other historical fiction? Supposedly Queen Mary (I think) had several "pregnancies" where her abdomen got large. But 9 mos came around and she never delivered. Gradually it disappeared. Weird, huh.
#124 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 10:36 AM

if you go to a good MW, she should be able to hear the HB with a fetascope if you are as far along as you think you are. she could also do a blood hcg if she couldnt hear the HB or feel the baby. it seems like a visit to a mw to get an "expert" to listen with a fetascope would be a very non-invasive way of getting confirmation

ITA with the phantom kicks- i get that too! totally wierd.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#125 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
If I were you I'd be running to an ultrasound and a doctor.
Does everyone know this is the UC forum? :

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#126 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
But that was your first pregnancy. I think second (and subsequent) pregnancies are different, since everything has already been stretched and moved before. I already look different, just at 7 weeks, than I did when I was pregnant with my son. I didn't wear maternity clothes until 20 weeks with him; I expect much different this time around.

I'm not trying to criticize you. I just have to agree with the other posters. If I were you I'd be running to an ultrasound and a doctor.

Sidenote: does anyone read Philippa Gregory or other historical fiction? Supposedly Queen Mary (I think) had several "pregnancies" where her abdomen got large. But 9 mos came around and she never delivered. Gradually it disappeared. Weird, huh.
Hrm. Well with my second (current) I only Just now popped out where it was noticable that I wasnt just getting fat.
I am 23 weeks along, and with my first I didnt show til probably 25 weeks. So I didnt pop as soon as I thought I wouldnt with it being my second.
I did get bigger, I did need to wear more generous clothing sooner, but no one else knew unless I told them.

I really am a believe it when I see it type. Even though I had a positive test and knew when I conceived, I still needed an u/s to reassure me. Thats just me though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Yes, but not everyone who plans to UC also does UP.
#127 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Okay, I finally got DH to take a good one!
And here's a couple more.
You look the same size as the mama I am working with right now who is 24 weeks pg!!!!! lol!

(thought I should explain that--lol! I have a very young friend that is pg with baby #1 that I am working with to educate and prepare for a home birth. I do attend births with families that ask and I prefer that the family want to do the birth themselves (uc) but for some reason just aren't there yet or just want a friend there. Far better choice than a hospital birth they would be stuck with. Just wanted everyone to understand that comment.)

~A
#128 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
Not me! I don't need a "professional" telling me what is going on with my body. If I wasn't sure then I would palpate and listen to the heartbeat. The fht have been heard and movement is being felt. The body is telling the whole story and it doesn't need outside "experts" confirming it. imho.

Oh and as for each pg being different, yes they are. But not everyone gets a big belly right away. Even with the 2nd, 3rd,... pg. I am working with a mama right now who is 24 weeks and looks this exact same size! This is OVER half way through her pg and you can NOT tell she is pg unless she lays down and you look close. You can then see the outline of her uterus.
#129 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing! (no disrespect meant)
Where is the trust and faith in our bodies? Why all the "running in for medical/professional/expert help"?????
I am totally amazed by what I have read throughout the posts. (again no disrespect meant)
We are women who have taken our care into our own hands. We are educated, well informed and can easily do all the "care" those professionals can do and better imho. *We* know our own bodies. *We* trust our intuitions.
We don't run in for professional help unless an emergency arises that we can't handle and well, those are VERY RARE.

Just my $.02
#130 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 01:11 PM

Emg, I understand what you're saying 100%.
I suppose the reason I am UCing isnt the trust and faith I have in my body, its the knowledge about the whole process that makes me confident enough to do it myself.
faith is something I am not big on at all actually so that may be why.
I dont think she needs to go to a doctor or get an ultrasound at all, however *if it were me* I would probably go just for confirmation (usually we need that for b/cert issues anyway)
Pseudocyesis happens. I am NOT (repeat NOT) saying thats what I think is going on here at all, I am more than happy enough to take her word for it that she is pregnant. Its her body, she knows better than I do.
I guess just for me I am not an intuitive person (anymore). Im too scientific minded. Henci goers books and statistics really have let me arrive at the place I am now, moreso than any faith in god or my body that it will be okay.
#131 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetaera View Post
Pseudocyesis[/URL] happens. I am NOT (repeat NOT) saying thats what I think is going on here at all, I am more than happy enough to take her word for it that she is pregnant. Its her body, she knows better than I do. I guess just for me I am not an intuitive person (anymore). Im too scientific minded. Henci goers books and statistics really have let me arrive at the place I am now, moreso than any faith in god or my body that it will be okay.
Oh, I know it can happen. No doubt about that. (and I am not saying this is the case either). I am personally not one to run in and let others poke around. I like to get to the bottom of things myself. I have also had "professionals" completely miss what was going on and tell me things that weren't true so I have no trust in them anyway. lol! When a mw tells you that your baby is breech after you KNOW it has turned head down and you choose to listen to the mw because hey, she is a professional and knows, which causes you TONS of stress, you learn to trust and have faith in your own abilities. That is just one of many times I have had people that were supposed to know and be trained, get things wrong. So I now listen to my own intuition. Does that make sense? I only share this so you have an idea of where I am coming from, not to change how you feel.

Also wanted you to know when I say Faith and Trust, it isn't coming from a religious direction. I am talking faith in ourselves and trust in ourselves. I know it can mean different for different people, but I mean it in a basic way, not a religious way. Just wanted to be clear on that.
#132 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 01:46 PM

yeah. I think my issue is the word faith. Lmao.
Knowing your baby is head down when someone else says otherwise isnt really taking it on faith to me.
knowing something because you KNOW is different than trusting something because you have faith. But its still in the same vein when it comes to caring for yourself and your pregnancy. its really really just splitting hairs and not important.
For me, since I am so skeptical, its hard for me to trust something that I dont know for certain. and I am SO not the 'wait and see' type either! lol.
(I want proof and I want it now now now.)
Now that I am 23 weeks, and I can feel my uterus and my baby and I can tell what position the baby is in, I *know* and because I know I am certain.
let me say again this is JUST my point of view pertaining to myself.
I dont listen only to my intuition... intuition leads me to seek out proof or sends my mind thinking why I may be feeling that way.
again though, we come to the same place, just a different way of getting there.
#133 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 01:50 PM

the part that would have me running to the doctor even if I were a UP/UC'er is that she is still having regular periods. it will only take a few *seconds* on ultrasound to confirm if there is a fetus in there so even if she is against u/s I think it would be low enough exposure (lower even than doppler) to be comfortable with.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#134 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmothergypsy View Post
Where is the trust and faith in our bodies?
If that was absolute, there would be no need for this forum. No one would ever, ever need to ask a bunch of Internet strangers "WWYD?".

Asking strangers here, none of whom have any magical insight into another woman's specific and personal situation, is not much different from wanting to touch base with a MW or gettin a u/s. They all are ways of getting confirmation in what the mama feels is happening.

The OP asked for people's opinions. People gave them. The OP is a grown up who can decide on her own whose opinion resonates the most with her.

So there's no reason to start implications that one person's opinion shows more faith or trust than an other person's.
#135 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
If that was absolute, there would be no need for this forum. No one would ever, ever need to ask a bunch of Internet strangers "WWYD?".

Asking strangers here, none of whom have any magical insight into another woman's specific and personal situation, is not much different from wanting to touch base with a MW or gettin a u/s. They all are ways of getting confirmation in what the mama feels is happening.

The OP asked for people's opinions. People gave them. The OP is a grown up who can decide on her own whose opinion resonates the most with her.

So there's no reason to start implications that one person's opinion shows more faith or trust than an other person's.
Amen!

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#136 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post

How articulate!
#137 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 04:53 PM

hi, it's me, the mama-in-a-similar-situation from upthread.

I very responsibly went to an ob/gyn with my "symptoms." She took one look at me and my negative POAS, decided I wasn't pregnant, decided I probably had a pituitary brain tumor, ordered me to take a class C teratrogenic drug for a hormone test, and scheduled a CT scan for the next day.

If I were pregnant she could have seriously injured me or my child. She went 100% on her silly little test, and listened not one iota to my own instinct, perception, or experience.

I declined the whole mess. I saw no reason to take corticosteroids and drink radioactive dye/have a cat scan just because a woman I'd never seen before in my life decided (from glancing at me) that I must have a brain tumor.

: So I'm back to where I started; waiting it out a bit and planning to see a midwife with a doppler if "symptoms" continue or increase. In my experience, some pretty whacked-out hormonal stuff can happen to a mama during the childbearing years and it isn't all an emergency. For myself, for now, I am going with "not pregnant." I don't drink, smoke, or use recreational drugs. I take my vitamins. I feel great. So why must I know for sure right now? No need.

I support Codi'sMama 100%. Pseudocyesis happens, but she sounded as willing as I am to accept whatever was true, whether baby or no. She's said several times that if her own instinct suggests it, she will seek an outside opinion.

I realize that suggesting a midwife with a fetoscope is a far, far cry from suggesting the modern model. OK. But the beginning mindset is the same, isn't it? That a woman really can't be expected to know what her body is doing on her own. I really disagree with that premise.
#138 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If it were me, I think the suspense would be killing me and I'd schedual a vaginal u/s just to see if anybody's in there or not.

But I don't believe I'd change anything about the way I cared for myself if I were pg. Especially if I was still nursing a toddler, becoming pg again wouldn't affect my diet, meds/herbs I took, etc, because I'd be only eating wholesome foods and avoiding toxic substances anyway. So I can completely understand the OP not wanting to fuss with doctors right now. I just don't know if I personally would have the patience to go that route!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#139 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 05:28 PM

Ignoring all the weird stuff on this thread to speak back to Codismom:

I was thinking of you last night as I was falling off to sleep (your story is so interesting...). Anyway, it worries me that you still have bleeding. I fully respect UC and UP in educated mommas, but in light of the regular bleeding I would be concerned of a placenta previa or partial previa. As we all know, if you have a large portion, or all of the placenta covering your cervix (which can and does happen in MANY normal and happy pregnancies) it would cause bleeding during pregnancy and could be deadly when delivery comes. If the placenta abrupts and dislodges from the uterine wall prior to the delivery of the child, the baby would suffocate during delivery. In the case of a complete previa, as the cervix dilates and effaces, the placenta is moved and detached (which is why a complete previa necessitates a c-section).

Just because you're bleeding, I'd err on the side of caution and find a nice midwife that will preform an u/s to determine where the placenta is. You never have to see her/him again if you choose to continue with a UP, but at least you'd know that labor wouldn't pose risk as far as the placenta goes, KWIM?

If you weren't bleeding, I'd never have thought of any of this...

HTH

Jen

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#140 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 05:32 PM

I just stumbled into this thread, and know I don't belong because I totally subscribe (out of high-risk necessity) to total medical involvement throughout my pregnancies. However, I did want to say I have seen two separate women on TLC (Discovery Channel) shows who came into the ER with horrible "stomach aches" and who ended their visits to the ER by giving birth.

Both women were on the obese side, so they never really *showed* during their pregnancies, and both were young women with no previous children, so they probably didn't know what to anticipate with movement and whatnot. Both had regular-for-them periods (one lady had PCOS or something, so had irregular periods or super long cycles normally). Anyway, I haven't read through all of the posts on this thread, but just wanted to say that though it's totally amazing and seems unbelievable, I guess it is possible for the OP to maybe have been so far along without knowing until now.

My opinion, though -- I would do what the OP said and get my hands on a doppler. STAT! She suggested it, so I shouldn't be flamed for agreeing with her. Please be nice to me.

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#141 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensmommy View Post
Ignoring all the weird stuff on this thread to speak back to Codismom:

I was thinking of you last night as I was falling off to sleep (your story is so interesting...). Anyway, it worries me that you still have bleeding. I fully respect UC and UP in educated mommas, but in light of the regular bleeding I would be concerned of a placenta previa or partial previa. As we all know, if you have a large portion, or all of the placenta covering your cervix (which can and does happen in MANY normal and happy pregnancies) it would cause bleeding during pregnancy and could be deadly when delivery comes. If the placenta abrupts and dislodges from the uterine wall prior to the delivery of the child, the baby would suffocate during delivery. In the case of a complete previa, as the cervix dilates and effaces, the placenta is moved and detached (which is why a complete previa necessitates a c-section).

Just because you're bleeding, I'd err on the side of caution and find a nice midwife that will preform an u/s to determine where the placenta is. You never have to see her/him again if you choose to continue with a UP, but at least you'd know that labor wouldn't pose risk as far as the placenta goes, KWIM?

If you weren't bleeding, I'd never have thought of any of this...

JEN
Jen, this is a good point and even *I* missed it. However, usually bleeding with a previa comes later in pregnancy and not all the way through. AND her bleeding is only occuring when her cycle is due, so for me this is just a woman who is having periods during pg which has happened before. Also could be the reason she can't get a (+) pg test.
#142 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 05:41 PM

Earthmoongypsy, I have googled and read until my head is : and I can not find a single reason why a woman would bleed on schedule thru a pregnancy.

Now, I know for sure that it can and does happen. What I can't find out is why. Do you know anything about it?
#143 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Jen, this is a good point and even *I* missed it. However, usually bleeding with a previa comes later in pregnancy and not all the way through. AND her bleeding is only occuring when her cycle is due, so for me this is just a woman who is having periods during pg which has happened before. Also could be the reason she can't get a (+) pg test.
#144 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 05:43 PM

Jesikka (aka: Codi's mom):

I just thought about something. Have you thought about checking your cervix? It does change in pg and should be soft and squishy like your cheek. There should also be a bluish hue to the "netherlands" now too. These are all good signs of pg.

Just something I thought I would offer.
#145 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Usually bleeding with a previa comes later in pregnancy and not all the way through. AND her bleeding is only occuring when her cycle is due, so for me this is just a woman who is having periods during pg which has happened before. Also could be the reason she can't get a (+) pg test.
Not necessarily true- I have a friend pg right this second that has been bleeding since the beginning and they've just diagnosed her complete previa (well, actually, like a month ago, but you get my point ). The fact that the bleeding is regular (I think) would be something pointing away from previa and pointing to hormone levels, so you're right on there : Just thought I should mention it, since it came to me so clearly last night. I'd have felt awful if I didn't mention it and it was what was causing the bleeding and something awful (but preventable) happened.

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#146 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townmouse View Post
Earthmoongypsy, I have googled and read until my head is : and I can not find a single reason why a woman would bleed on schedule thru a pregnancy.

Now, I know for sure that it can and does happen. What I can't find out is why. Do you know anything about it?
No, like you I have no idea why it happens, just that it does and has happened. I think it is odd, but it has to be a hormonal thing. I will dig into my midwifery books and see if I can find anything specific too and get back with you if I can find anything that will answer our questions.
#147 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensmommy View Post
Not necessarily true- I have a friend pg right this second that has been bleeding since the beginning and they've just diagnosed her complete previa (well, actually, like a month ago, but you get my point ). The fact that the bleeding is regular (I think) would be something pointing away from previa and pointing to hormone levels, so you're right on there : Just thought I should mention it, since it came to me so clearly last night. I'd have felt awful if I didn't mention it and it was what was causing the bleeding and something awful (but preventable) happened.
Oh I think it is great that you mentioned it. This whole thread is making us all think outside the box and it is wonderful!

Another cause of bleeding in pg can be a subchorionic hematoma. It usually isn't a regular bleeding thing either, but something good to know about.
http://www.angelfire.com/home/joeynr....hematoma.html
For more info.
#148 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I can not find a single reason why a woman would bleed on schedule thru a pregnancy.
I did. With my first. I had three cycles of bleeding in my first trimester, then none after that.

I've also had some sporadic spotting in several of my pregnancies (not cyclical). All of my pregnancies, births, & children have been very fast and normal. (fast births )

Lots of women have bleeding during pregnancy.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#149 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I did. With my first. I had three cycles of bleeding in my first trimester, then none after that.

I've also had some sporadic spotting in several of my pregnancies (not cyclical). All of my pregnancies, births, & children have been very fast and normal. (fast births )

Lots of women have bleeding during pregnancy.
I know! the part I'm curious about is "why" (starting to fear that I may never know haha)
#150 of 336 Old 07-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Even if it is a placenta previa, it's not really a concern until delivery (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), and that 90% of the time it fixes itself before delivery.
nak
It is a concern if you go into labor with an unkown previa- that's why I mentioned it. As far as correcting- most low-lying placentas do move up as the pg progresses. Generally, a complete previa does not correct itself and a partial has a chance of correcting itself. The sticky-wick is that you don't know when you'll go into labor, so stuff like this needs to be known in advance, KWIM? Just something to think about...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page