I'm Pregnant!!! Update post #77 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So..... I think I'm like.............................................. ..............................
6 or 7 MONTHS pregnant!!!!

My belly's getting bigger, and I'm feeling KICKS! Not just those little "butterfly" kicks (which I did feel a month or 2 ago, but talked myself into it that they were just gas), but hard KICKS! Nothing but maternity clothes fit, I can feel and see my uterus about 3 inches over my belly button, and my wedding ring is too small (which only happened when I was PG w/DD).

The weird part, though, is that I haven't gotten a positive pregnancy test. : I've taken 4 of them in the last two weeks, (one $ store test, 2 name brand tests, and one at Planned Parenthood) and none came up positive. So I'm wondering if they're accurate this far along?
I'm also getting periods every month, and my breast milk supply has been unaffected.
Now, when I went to Planned Parenthood I asked her about it, she palpitated my stomach and told me, get this, that I had "extra intestines", was probably extra gassy and maybe had a thyroid problem. HOW does someone get "extra intestines"???? : And the only symptoms of hypothyroidism I had were fatigue, constipation, and irritability. Also pregnancy symptoms.

So, I'm just taking a wait and see attitude as I had already planned to UP/UC my next child. I may rent a Doppler or just buy a fetoscope to get some confirmation. I made a list last week of all the things I'll need for a waterbirth and it should only be about $150! And this'll be soo much less stressful than with dd's pregnancy/birth.

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 07:21 PM

Um, I'm sorry but I really doubt that you are pregnant.

Whilst it's true that hcg does drop dramatically towards the end of pregnancy there is a good chance that you'd still have the tiny amount required to show positive.

Plus of course the regular periods and the dr saying no baby...
Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 PM

Congratulations!!!
I read that hpt are not accurate in mid-late pg.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 PM

I really don't know what to think about this announcement. :

Do you palpitate and feel baby parts? Have all the normal symptoms? Since you were TTC, how could you have not really known? I'm sorry to doubt but I'm one of those that is consumed by what's going on and know my conceptions to the minute:P I guess I just can't imagine walking around and not knowing for 6months.

I'm all for go with the flow pregnancies and births but I guess I'm just not "cool" enough to let it go at "woops! I'm seven months and only now figured it out!!" I'd want to know why I was so checked out of my body as to not notice in was inhabited by another person :giggle

Good luck, I hope you are right because there are real medical conditions that aren't any fun that can mock a pregnancy. Least of which is nursing, of course.

I'll totally kick myself before suggesting an US though, but I'd want to know if it were me!

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
Old 06-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Have you considered an ultrasound? This would be one case where I would totally get one.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:44 PM

So, your only symptom is a growing belly? I would be concerned, to be honest, and investigate further. It may be nothing, but it could also be something serious. Did they not listen for sounds at your appointment?
Have you looked into the possiblity of pseudocyesis?

I don't know what to make of it either, but I would hate for you to keep waiting for a baby that might not be there. For your own peace of mind, maybe this warrants further testing?

Old 06-25-2007, 08:05 PM

Congrats!!!!

As a mom of a daughter that has trouble getting a (+) even when pg, I can totally relate to the pg test not working. I have also read about other women who also NEVER got a pos pg result and WERE pg indeed. One lady who's birth story was in NNII couldn't get the medical community or mws to believe her and then they made labor stop when it was truly time for baby to be due because they thought it was early because they wouldn't believe the mama was really pg when she was. She ended up with a HUGE baby and c-section because of the midwifery care she got that was totally off. Sadly. From that point on she went for uc births and has had other babes.

Some women do not stop having periods when they become pg AND that being the case how would one really *know* until other symptoms came about. Like kicks, growing tummy, etc... Unless you have some sort of skill in palpating then you also might not be able to confirm a pg at 5 or 6 months. I don't think pph nurses are really skilled in pg care are they????

So, you are breastfeeding, having periods, and life seems normal.

When did you notice your growing stomach and what did you think was happening when you did? Just curious. Could you also be only 5 months along which would account for it being harder to feel baby?

So, can't wait to hear what you truly find out for sure. If it were me, I would be finding a fetoscope and be taking a listen. hehehe Have you tried to feel your baby yourself? What do you think when you do? I think this is so neat to get such a surprise!

Share more when you can.

~A
Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie View Post
Whilst it's true that hcg does drop dramatically towards the end of pregnancy there is a good chance that you'd still have the tiny amount required to show positive.
Tessie,

Some women NEVER get a (+) pg result even when they ARE indeed pg.
Might want to research that a bit further because it is more common than you think.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie
Plus of course the regular periods and the dr saying no baby...
It wasn't a dr. It was a Planned Parenthood NP who was very rushed and talked to me like I was 15. I don't think she even looked at my chart or knew that I'd had a previous pregnancy.
And it *is* possible to have a period and still be pregnant. There was a thread on it, complete with poll over in TAO. Here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5
I guess I just can't imagine walking around and not knowing for 6months.
I have been feeling "quickening" for a couple months (just chalked it up to gas), and I haven't been able to wear jeans for the last 5 months. Around January and February I also had a lot of neasea and some vomiting that I just chalked up to eating the wrong things. I totally thought I was just gaining weight and needed to go on a diet, until I started feeling kicks. Sometimes they're random and sometimes it's because I'm bent over and my pants are too snug against my belly, and if I sit sideways in a weird way I'll feel hard kicks against my ribs.
I also didn't even start showing w/ dd's pregnancy until I was 6 months. My belly was the same size it'd always been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys
Have you considered an ultrasound?
Yes, I have, and am still considering it, actually. I think for now I'll just buy a fetoscope or rent a doppler and see if I find a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntG
Have you looked into the possiblity of pseudocyesis?
Yes, and a bunch of other things, too.

I've been researching all this alot. Trying to figure out what the heck could be going on with me.
Thanks for the congrats and the worries. I'm ordering a fetoscope tonight. I'll keep you all updated!

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

Old 06-25-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmothergypsy View Post
Congrats!!!!
Have you tried to feel your baby yourself? What do you think when you do? I think this is so neat to get such a surprise!
Yes, I have but I'm not skilled at doing it. I'm afraid of pushing to hard and hurting something, and I'm not real sure what I'm feeling for. It usually ends up with me feeling "him" squirming around and kicking me for 5-10 mins. afterward.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi's Mama View Post
It usually ends up with me feeling "him" squirming around and kicking me for 5-10 mins. afterward.

that is absolutley nuts. I will be watching this thread for sure to see what turns up.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
Old 06-25-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi's Mama View Post
Yes, I have but I'm not skilled at doing it. I'm afraid of pushing to hard and hurting something, and I'm not real sure what I'm feeling for. It usually ends up with me feeling "him" squirming around and kicking me for 5-10 mins. afterward.
That is about how they react AND it is hard to find actual body parts at this point too. You can find hard lumps and small lumps, but if you are getting squirms and wiggles of protest, then I would be convinced. lol!!!! My baby is like that and always has been. She hates to be touch or listened too. laughing. I am 29 weeks now too, so we may be close in dates.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 PM

congrats if you are pregnant!

I think it would be a good idea to pursue some sort of testing...maybe an ultrasound. Not because pregnancy requires it, but if you are not pregnant, you might have a medical condition that does require medical care.

V.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 PM

:

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 06-25-2007, 10:50 PM

Wow, how exciting it wold be to find out so close to EDD. Come say hi over at the August 2007 DDC.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=387
Old 06-25-2007, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian View Post
congrats if you are pregnant!

I think it would be a good idea to pursue some sort of testing...maybe an ultrasound. Not because pregnancy requires it, but if you are not pregnant, you might have a medical condition that does require medical care.

V.
:

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 PM

Just remember that if you have never used a fetoscope before, it may take a while to get a heartbeat. Try, try, and try again.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Hey...it's not so far fetched...a good friend of mine went in because she thought she was having wicked period cramps...she gave birth ... seriously. The Dr said he had seen it before and it does happen. SHe had absolutely no idea and thought she was just getting 'fat.' Her belly was no bigger than mine when i'm period bloated and I'm a size 9. She even had periods (however they shortened to three days insted of her usual 7). Her boobs didn't grow until her milk came in (man she was sore!)

So...ya... it happens. Rarely...but it does!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 PM

subbing.....I have to know how this turns out. Crossing my fingers for a new babe for ya!!

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:53 AM

Ok, so I'm dying to know the outcome, myself!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:01 AM

subbing
Old 06-26-2007, 01:21 AM

Codi's Mama, that sounds a little like my pregnancy with DS! I didn't get a + home test at all. At about 5.5 months or so I did get one from a dr. But those ladies at Planned Parenthood are a pain in the A**! They actually asked me, "Well, don't you know what happens when you have sex? Didn't you use a condom?" Excuse me! But I'm a married, consenting adult, and even if I weren't, why would that be their business? Anyway, all that to say they acted like idiots with me too. And I wasn't sick with DS at all, didn't really feel kicks I couldn't ignore until 20? weeks, etc. So congratulations! I actually liked finding out like that, and then went on to have my UC. Blessings to you and your family! :-)
Old 06-26-2007, 01:33 AM

Did PP just do a urine test or a blood test? I'm guessing that if you got a quantitative beta blood test you'd know whether it's pos or not. They'll measure the quantity of HCG in your blood, not just if it's present or not like urine tests do.

Good luck! I hope you have a definitive answer soon!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 AM

My sister is a doctor in family practice and a couple years ago a patient came in complaining of horrible intermittent back pain. My sis was suspicious, checked her out, and sent her off to have her baby. The woman had no idea she was pregnant. She said she had taken tests that all came back negative.

So......congratulations! to the OP.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:55 AM

:
Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 AM

:
Wishing you a healthy pregnancy if you are!

''''

Old 06-26-2007, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntG
Just remember that if you have never used a fetoscope before, it may take a while to get a heartbeat. Try, try, and try again.
Thanks! I didn't know it could be hard to find. I'll ask for pointers once it gets here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy
But those ladies at Planned Parenthood are a pain in the A**!
Yeah, and I don't even think she was looking for a *baby* in there! She was pressing at different points on my stomach asking "does this hurt?, How about here?" UUGHH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU
Did PP just do a urine test or a blood test? I'm guessing that if you got a quantitative beta blood test you'd know whether it's pos or not.
They just did a urine test. A blood test would be a good idea, though. Maybe I'll go back in for the Thyroid test and ask them to tack a pregnancy test on there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU
Good luck! I hope you have a definitive answer soon!
Thanks! Me too!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:59 AM

Exciting! I had a friend who was the same way... all preg tests came back negative until they did an ultrasound at 4ish months (after me saying something like, how long are you going to wait to tell us you are pregnant?) LOl, she couldn't believe I could see it but a stupid test (both pee AND the blood test didn't show it!).... and 5 months later she had her baby girl.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 06-26-2007, 07:12 AM

:

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 AM

I hope you get a definitive answer soon!!!

User Tag List