Ugh, how rude. A reminder of why I chose UC!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 07-03-2007, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW Ocean Spray just came out with a just cranberry - I haven't seen it everywhere, but there is one Wal-mart locally I found it. It's alot cheaper than the pricey brands. I'm addicted to cranberry. I've got to the place where I like it totally unsweetened 1/2 cranberry 1/2 water over ice. No UTIs this time
#32 of 54 Old 07-03-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom View Post
ETA: Cranberry juice usually does the trick for me.
Maybe someone has already pointed this out already, but the capsules are great to get a lot of cranberry without having to drink a bunch of juice! (I don't like cranberry juice...)
#33 of 54 Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 PM

I have chronic kidney and UT infections and they were worse in pregnancy.

I managed to only take antibiotics once, and even now that I look back on it, I think if I could do it over I wouldn't have taken them.

My daughter had gut issues when she was born, and I'm sure it was due to the antibiotics. They aren't good for babies in utero. If you have to take them though, I would be much more inclined to take the 3 day dose of the stronger one (I forget the name) than take amoxicillian for the long time that you have to take it for something like that.

My first choice would be Dandelion root tea mixed with nettle leaves and steeped - does wonders for the kidneys and bladder. That combined with lots of cranberry juice and APPLE CIDER VINEGAR!! That stuff is awesome.
#34 of 54 Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't done the antibiotics. I found some organic cranberry juice with some regular sugar in it, and I've drank nothing but that. I am feeling better already!!

I didn't know CNMs absolutely couldn't do homebirth here! That'll help me next time I'm being harrassed. I can just say "Uh, CNMs can't DO homebirths..."

Some captain from the clinic called my husband and asked me to call back. I didn't..not sure if I will. I don't want to be hasselled anymore, especially if the truth is revealed that I'm planning a UC.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#35 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post
I haven't done the antibiotics. I found some organic cranberry juice with some regular sugar in it, and I've drank nothing but that.

heather, STOP!
you absolutely have to drink cranberry juice with NO added sugar. EEK! don't drink another drop!

(envision me running across the country in no clothes at 11 PM shouting
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to swipe the glass out of your hand JUST in the nick of time......)
#36 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoppressed MAMA Q View Post
heather, STOP!
you absolutely have to drink cranberry juice with NO added sugar. EEK! don't drink another drop!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'm not sure why you are so concerned. : I have used cranberry juice many a time for UTI issues and it is ok to drink it sweetened. Unsweetened cranberry juice is difficult to drink for most people. In my opinion it's better to drink sweetened cranberry juice than not drink any at all or to take antibiotics.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#37 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebeeglee View Post
(This was after the nurse condescendingly asked me 'are you sure you're wiping front to back and not getting any poopies up there?' because, you know, I'm 5 years old. Maybe she went to school with the nurse you talked to, huh?)
Are you serious?! Did you at least get a lolipop at the end of your appointment.

I have no suggestion~never had a UTI (knocking on wood!) I hope you get it cleared up soon. And remember~your DH is in the military, not you! His chain of command can't "make" you do anything! I see too often where they think they can control the spouses like they do their soldiers. (I'm AD Army)

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#38 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
heather, STOP!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I too am curious as to why. I used cranberry juice to clear up a suspected UTI last week and it was sweetened. Is there some adverse effects that I missed out on? It worked great for me.
#39 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae View Post
I'm not sure why you are so concerned. : I have used cranberry juice many a time for UTI issues and it is ok to drink it sweetened. Unsweetened cranberry juice is difficult to drink for most people. In my opinion it's better to drink sweetened cranberry juice than not drink any at all or to take antibiotics.

Laura
why the : icon? snark, anyone?

i am not so much 'concerned' as trying to be helpful. avoiding sugar is something of a 'first rule' in regards to dealing with bacterial imbalance.

far be it from me to sit here and be determinist about what will and won't work, and i certainly wasn't encouraging antibiotics, which aren't even an option in my own personal schema. you seem to be leaping to a lot of conclusions about a simple statement i made, which was 'drink unsweetened, not sweetened, cranberry juice'.

sheesh.
#40 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 12:55 PM

OP, Please try to go unsweetened. I know it's awful. My 1st pregnancy, when I "discovered" what REAL cranberry juice tasted like, I was in shock. I made myself drink 4 oz every night. I would literally sit in the kitchen for an hour beforehand just working up the courage to gulp it down. By my 2nd pregnancy I still didn't like it, but I could chug a full glass with relative ease-- and I found that my 2yo dd, generally a discriminative taster, really liked straight cranberry pulp, she ate it like applesauce. By now, I actually enjoy the tast. So does said 2yo, now a 4yo. But current 2yo, well, she hates it. So I'm not saying cranberry will ever be a big part of your palate

Our tastebuds are assaulted by sugars from the get-go (meaning even in utero), and it takes dedication and patience to learn healthy tastes, but it is worth it. To get you through this really unpleasant time just remember that you are doing this for your baby.

The little buggers in your bladder causing the UTI lovelovelove sugar. Don't send them mixed messages by drinking sweetened cranberry juice. As a pp mentioned, pills are another way to go. And if you HAVE to go unsweetened, make sure it's sweetened with other REAL fruit juices, like apple juice. Another pp suggested mixing it with pineapple juice, I've never tried that but it's worth a shot.

Maybe try buying straight cranberry juice, and buy other straight juices as well. Then each night mix a little of cranberry with something else, heavier on the cranberry, until you can wean yourself to just cranberry. I'm just trying to brainstorm here, to try to help.
#41 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
why the : icon? snark, anyone?

i am not so much 'concerned' as trying to be helpful. avoiding sugar is something of a 'first rule' in regards to dealing with bacterial imbalance.

far be it from me to sit here and be determinist about what will and won't work, and i certainly wasn't encouraging antibiotics, which aren't even an option in my own personal schema. you seem to be leaping to a lot of conclusions about a simple statement i made, which was 'drink unsweetened, not sweetened, cranberry juice'.

sheesh.
I didn't make any assumptions about you. And I wasn't being snarky. Seems you're being quite defensive though. I used that icon to show that I was bemused by your post.

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#42 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 02:09 PM

Sugar FEEDS a UTI.

I take homeopathic remedy Cantharis 30C 3 times a day for 3 days and it knocks it out.

A friend of mine who gets recurring UTI's tried it once and felt better THAT AFTERNOON. She went out and bought herself her own little vial of it and replaced mine.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#43 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the key here is that everyone's body is different -- what natural remedy that may work for one person, may not work for another.

If OP is feeling better drinking sweetened cranberry juice -- then perhaps her sugar tolerance is higher.

Personally I have cured UTIs by drinking sweetened cranberry juice and have never been able to stomach the unsweetened kind.

I think all the suggestions here are great -- but would like to gently refocus the discussion to the OPs original question.

OP, how are you feeling today? Did you ever try one of those home UTI tests?

For me, I am 23 weeks pregnant and I was almost certain I had a UTI -- but the test was negative so I did some gentle inverted and hands and knees positions to relieve the pressure of the baby on my bladder. Within 24 hours, I am feeling 100% back to normal.

My daugther is prone to urethritis and our doc suggested vinegar sitz baths. This seems to help for her -- I wonder if caught early this would help a UTI?

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!!
#44 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 03:22 PM

I can't stand unsweetened cranberry juice so I always just take the supplements. I usually double the recommended dose when I have an active infection. It works really well when combined with drinking tons of water throughout the day.
Here's the brand I use-
http://www.affordablesupplements.com/cranactin.asp

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#45 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae View Post
I didn't make any assumptions about you. And I wasn't being snarky. Seems you're being quite defensive though. I used that icon to show that I was bemused by your post.
well, i certainly misunderstood your intent. no hard feelings i hope.
#46 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 05:13 PM

I totally understand... And I'd go for the cranberry juice too, and huge amounts of water.
#47 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

I had to get what was at the only grocery store open late the other night, and that was the healthiest thing they had. I'm sure that plain cranberry juice would probably be most effective, but I haven't been able to find any. I've got to go to Wild Oats and our local natural grocers to get some, but I haven't had the time. I'd have got unsweetened, but they only had two choices: high fructose corn syrup cranberry juice...or sugar cranberry juice! I had to take the lesser of two evils. And dang it, I wish someone had mentioned that the bacteria like sugar, because I consumed two cokes and a milk shake today! :P

I've been peeing about five times as much as I did with my DS and having a different kind of pressure feeling. (Grandma says it must be a girl because they are "piss asses" and pee constantly (Is that against the UA? lol)) Anyways, that wasn't just it. All day I'd feel washed out, tired, dizzy, nauseated like I could hardly get up or concentrate. I felt like maybe I wasn't eating or drinking enough, so I'd eat, drink a bunch of water. Didn't help. So I suspected preeclampsia or even low blood pressure, but my blood pressure is normal. Finally I looked up UTI and noticed that all this can be symptoms of a UTI, plus I have had cloudy pee and so on.

I've been drinking nothing but the juice until this afternoon; I'm starting the cranberry juice again now that we're home from the pool. I didn't take the home test yet, because I am feeling better. I don't have that washed out feeling as much and no more pressure, just the constant need to pee. So UTI or not drinking that juice has helped. I suppose it could be something else, but I'm no expert--and the experts are condescending and annoying and try to, like someone else already said, force you to do things like you're one of the enlisted peoples.

But hey, if it's not a UTI, anybody have any clue what the perpetrator is? I have some upper muscle soreness in my shoulders and neck, for NO reason, just this...sore feeling all over sometimes. It comes with the washed out feeling. I was thinking if it's not a UTI it is most likely some kind of nutrient deficiency. I always forget my prenatal horse pills.

I really appreciate all the responses. I figure I should probably call that captain person or at least answer the phone for him/her/whoever. But I have this strange feeling I'm going to have to end up defending my imaginary CPM and my choice to homebirth.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
#48 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am glad you are feeling better!

As far as nutritional or other things that could be happening -- you might consider looking at your iron levels. Maybe drink some nettles tea?

Extra vitamin C wouldn't hurt even if you don't have an infection....

And I would try those positions I was telling you about -- basically anything that gets the pressure off your bladder. For me, it was being on my hands and knees and then slightly elevating my bum.

But I really would get a test kit:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...&id=prod733685

That way you will know...and if it is a UTI and things don't get better, or if you start to get lots of BH contractions, you will know that you need to see a doc.

Good luck!
#49 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 10:40 PM

you could always get multistix for testing. several online HPT companies also sell those. They'll test for more than just nitrites and white blood cells too, which aren't always early indicators.
#50 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 10:50 PM

Not wanting to divert the thread, but does anyone know if active duty members have the option of disenrolling from tricare prime & switching to standard? I thought I'd read that somewhere, but now I can't find it. I'm having a back & forth email thing with an uptight tricare rep.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#51 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

HappyFox - I really believe the answer is no for active duty personel, but yes for their families.

Eta-from tricare site,

Quote:
TRICARE Standard is the basic TRICARE health care program, offering comprehensive health care coverage, for people not enrolled in TRICARE Prime. (Active duty service members (ADSM) must take action to enroll in Prime, and many other beneficiaries choose to enroll in Prime also.)
Quote:
Some people are not eligible for TRICARE Standard, such as active duty service members, dependent parents, and parents-in-law. (See the section called “Who’s Eligible For TRICARE?” for details.)

#52 of 54 Old 07-04-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post
HappyFox - I really believe the answer is no for active duty personel, but yes for their families.

Eta-from tricare site,
Grrr, stupid government. Thanks for the info. I'm glad you're feeling better!

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#53 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFox05 View Post
Grrr, stupid government. Thanks for the info. I'm glad you're feeling better!
I couldn't agree more, lol! I'm AD and when I went for my first appointment I told them I was seeking private midwifery care (i.e paid out of pocket) and planning a homebirth and they were totally cool with that. We just listened to the heartbeat for "confirmation". I told them that I wanted all my labs and the pap and pelvic exam to be done by my midwife so I had continutiy of care (yes, I was lying my a$$ off and I'd do it again!) The nurse practioner I saw just gave me her number and told me to call her directly if there was any testing my mw couldn't order or if I wanted to switch to their care (not in a million!) Needless to say I was shocked. Of course I didn't mention that my mw was actually me...

moonfirefaery~I'm glad that something is working for you and you're feeling better. I would honestly avoid the military side of things like the plauge. It's not even worth the stress of having them try to force you to comply with their demands by putting pressure on your DH (which technically they can't do but it happens a lot!) Do you live on post? A lot of people get threatened to get kicked out of on-post housing for planning a homebirth so I would keep my lips sealed!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#54 of 54 Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

We own our own home thank goodness, smartest dumb choice we ever made!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page