I am planning a midwife assisted birth, but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-23-2007, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My on was born at 38 weeks and my midwife will only do births past 37 weeks. This makes me a little nervous because I think my due date could be off. Would it be safe for me to plan UC if I went into labor before 37 weeks? I would be more comfortable with this than leaving myself at the mercy of some random doctor.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#2 of 10 Old 07-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Is the 38 weeks a typo? Or you're just worried this one will come earlier? UC is all about trusting your instincts. If you go into labor at 36 weeks and feel healthy and fine, great. It would take a lot to get me to a hospital.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#3 of 10 Old 07-23-2007, 06:51 PM

yeah, if u feel comfortable w/ a UC, go for it.

::
#4 of 10 Old 07-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
My on was born at 38 weeks and my midwife will only do births past 37 weeks. This makes me a little nervous because I think my due date could be off. Would it be safe for me to plan UC if I went into labor before 37 weeks? I would be more comfortable with this than leaving myself at the mercy of some random doctor.
I have a friend who went into labour at 35 weeks and decided to not call the doctor and just birth on her own at home. She had a lovely UC and baby was fine. I 2nd what the others said: listen to your instincts and do what feels best at the time. Was your 38 weeker a good size? They really judge whether a baby is preterm or not by it's size and development after it is born and some babies just "cook" quicker than others I think the 38 week rule for mws is silly, personally, because, yes, we may not have the correct "due date." My 1st dd was born (scheduled c/s mind you) at 38 and 5 and was 7lbs and perfect and my 2nd dd was born at 39 and 1 and was 8.5 lbs. I have another friend who births healthy full-term babies a few weeks earlier than average too.
#5 of 10 Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 PM

My 38 weeker was also full term and 7 lbs. If I had called the midwife when I actually went into labour, she would have told me to go to a hospital because the baby was only 37 weeks and 6 days and her cutoff point was 38 weeks.

The next two kids were born much closer to their due dates and were 8 lbs and 6 lbs.

I know the exact date of conception for this one and am curious whether s/he will go early or not.
#6 of 10 Old 07-23-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Well you know since I'm posting here UC is my personal preference.

That being said have you spoken to your MW about your due date being off? If you present a solid reason why it should be moved up will she change it or is she bound be some external factor to a particular date?

Of course if she moves the due date up and your labor begins after the revised 37 weeks, you can still UC just be cause you want to.

~BV
#7 of 10 Old 07-23-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I'm in a similar situation. I have had two edds this pregnancy 6 weeks apart and my midwife is firm on the later date. I really feel the later date is wrong and my first DD came at 39 weeks so I anticipate 3-4 weeks before the later edd.

I also birthed DD really fast so I'm getting ready either way for it to just be DP, DD and I. I'm going to go with my instincts, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather be at home than subjected to the hospital. If something just doesn't feel right I can always go there afterward, I'm only a few minutes away.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#8 of 10 Old 07-23-2007, 08:37 PM

I agree with the other posters. If you're considering UC and you feel comfortable with it, no matter what the reason is, and you feel fine and that baby is fine too, then go for it! All the best to you, whatever you decide.
#9 of 10 Old 07-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I personally set 36 weeks 4 days as my cutoff (first baby) for whether I'd birth in the hospital or UC when I was around that point and having contractions. Something kinda told me that's where I'd be comfortable with his development being ready enough. Maybe you'll have the same inclination about a certain point? DS stayed in til 41 weeks though, my 'labor' at 36 weeks was actually the flu.
#10 of 10 Old 07-24-2007, 11:57 PM

i always thought that "term" was anywhere between 36 and 40wks, since babies develop at slightly different rates .. can't remember where i read that though, it was a while ago.

either way i'd say go with your instincts. personally, if i had a baby a little earlier than the norm, i'd rather s/he be in bed, skin to skin with me doing lots of nursing and cuddling than being examined by the "professionals"! we transfered ds to the hosp. after he was born (his face was blue b/c of bruising -- but we weren't sure and dh kinda panicked). they made him stay under an oxygen bubble and wouldn't let me hold him for longer than it took to nurse. i tried to explain the benefits of skin to skin, but they wouldn't have it. (of course, this is the same ped that later told me not to sleep with him cause i might roll over on him: ). this crushed me and really interfered with our bonding, i think. for me, right now, having a baby early (as long as s/he was healthy and acting fine) would be MORE reason to stay home in order to avoid people getting in between me an' the babe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page