Baby Blitz-Update Post #26 & Pics #33 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to all of you mamas who gave me support yesterday. My baby knew that he needed to be born, and trying to stop my labor was like trying to stop a freight train. After 16 hours of labor, I caught my sweet 6 lb, 13 oz baby boy, Blitz, in the water with my dh and my best friend supporting and encouraging me. He had a true knot in his cord that was loose enough so that the cord was still pulsating, and it was also looped tightly around his neck and his foot. After 4 hours of trying everything from oxygen and colostrum through a syringe to glucose water and breaths, we made the excruciatingly tough decision to take him in to the hospital. After an initial good start, he just was grunting and retracting and had very poor muscle tone. The people in the ER were horrible, but luckily we moved up to the NICU pretty quickly. The staff there has been pretty great, for the most part, and has respected most of our wishes. He is getting high flow oxygen, a CPAP, and unfortunately, a round of antibiotics. He has shown lots of improvement, and hopefully he'll be home by Thursday. It's just so hard to not be able to hold and nurse my sweet little boy. We are headed back up to the hospital after their shift change to spend the night. I'm just having a really hard time with everything, but my dh and my true friends have been awesome. I just need my little boy to come home.
#2 of 40 Old 07-24-2007, 09:45 PM

Congratulations mama!! I had a feeling you had your boy. Healing to you & your little guy, and may he come home very quickly!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#3 of 40 Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 PM

Congrats on your baby mama! 34 weeks is just so early, but I am really glad you think he will be home by Thursday! Soon he will be in your arms and at your breast. You are right, they know when it's time. He did what he needed to do to be born safely. LOTS of hugs and prayers.
#4 of 40 Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 PM

6 13???

wow, I bet he'll do just fine. That is a really hefty weight for one so young, as you know--and that will help him now.

be well, be gentle with yourself, healing prayers to you both.
#5 of 40 Old 07-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Congrats on you baby boy, pretty soon he'll be home with you where he belongs. He sounds like a strong little guy!

Sara proud mommy to Kaiden 9/24/2004, Carter 4/10/2007 and Anniston 12/4/2009
#6 of 40 Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 PM

mama. Here's to your strong baby boy coming home soon!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#7 of 40 Old 07-24-2007, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. You don't know how much your kind words and thoughts mean to me during this difficult time.

And at 6lbs, 13oz, he was my biggest baby and also the earliest. He's also a little doll boy. I'll post pics when I have time, but for now, we are headed back up to spend some time with him.
#8 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 AM

Congrats! Come home soon, Baby Blitz!
#9 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your son!
I hope he is home very soon

momma to my girls (9) (7) (4) (3) (7m) &
my little ones held only in my heart 4/12-17/00~8/01-twins~11/04~3/05~11/08
#10 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 02:15 AM

Oh, I'm so sorry! Sometimes it's necessary, but that doesn't make it easy, does it. I wish I could give you a hug and some in-person support. I can only imagine how you must be feeling right now not to just have him snug in your arms. But he's going to be okay. You all are. Please keep us updated, and love to you all!
#11 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 05:50 AM

Welcome Baby Blitz! Mama, you and your baby are in my prayers.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#12 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 AM

Congrats on your sweet son! He sounds so sweet!
#13 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 08:53 AM

I am so happy your birth part went as you wanted. Sorry to hear he had to come BUT so happy he sounds like his Momma knew what to do!! He is a very good weight for that age too. WOW! Can't wait to see a pic when you get home with your little sweet bundle. ;o)

Angela
#14 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Thinking of you and your sweet baby, what a neat name! Sounds like he was ready for the world, if not completely ready to be independent, and glad you're getting decent treatment in the NICU. Keep us updated, you're in my thoughts!
#15 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 AM

Congratulations on your baby boy and big s to you and your family. I hope he is soon home and in your arms.

Julia
#16 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 12:27 PM

Wow, what a shock - after you gave the weight, I expected he was fine! I know the NICU stinks big time. Hopefully, you will have your baby at home with you real soon! Congratulations and good job!
#17 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Congratulations Mama!! I can't wait to see some pictures. And of course I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts while you wait for him to get out of the NICU.
#18 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Congrats - and that's a great weight for a 34 weeker! Hoping all goes well & you're home soon!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#19 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

congrats on your birth and baby. i hope that Blitz is well soon (i love the name). poor sweet thing! it's necessary, but tough to use western meds. I'm glad that he's getting great care and i hope that he's home with you soon! healing thoughts and prayers for all of you!

ps. can't wait for pictures.
#20 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 02:41 PM

Congratulations! Hoping baby Blitz comes home soon, back into your arms where he belongs . . . stay strong, mama!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#21 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 05:17 PM

Congratulations mama! Welcome sweet baby Blitz. That is a great weight! My 34 weeker was 6lbs 5oz and I thought he was big. I hope your babe is home soon!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#22 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 07:15 PM

Welcome, little Blitz (what an awesome name!). Sorry he's not home with you now, but hopefully very very soon. Lots of to you, mama and glad to hear he knew when he needed to come out. Congrats!

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#23 of 40 Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 PM

#24 of 40 Old 07-26-2007, 03:20 AM

Congratulations! Before too long he'll be home. Can't wait to see the pics.

::
#25 of 40 Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 PM

Congratulations! Welcome Blitz!! I hope he's coming home today!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#26 of 40 Old 07-31-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

We are finally home. We signed Blitz out AMA on Sunday. His respiratory problem (TTN) had cleared up, but he was having trouble gaining weight. Well, the reason why he was having trouble gaining weight is that A-the stress of the whole NICU experience was majorly affecting my milk supply, B-Blitz was stressed and worn out from the whole experience, C-we were not able to nurse on demand due to their strict schedule, and D-they wanted to "top him off" with formula even when he did successfully nurse. So they tried to bully me (because I was exhausted and very emotional) until my dh could get back up to the hospital, and then they realized that they could not do anything else to keep us there, so they sent down the neonatologist to discharge us. She asked us to "promise" that we would bring him back in on Monday (yesterday) for a weight check and a bilirubin check. We said that we would, and then she added, "because I would hate to have to sic social services on you. Trust me--you don't want CPS to get involved." As I told all of these people before we left, I feel like I was treated with more respect as a 21-yr-old first time mother who was breastfeeding a baby for the first time than they had treated me--and he's my fifth baby to breastfeed! Well, we took him back up yesterday, and he had gained weight (gasp!), the nurse even commented on how much better and more alert he looked, and then they had another UA violation nurse call to threaten me one more time about getting him into a pedi for a follow-up, or we would need to bring him back again on Wednesday--and there was an "or else" that was very clear, albeit unspoken, there. Who gave birth to this baby anyway?

Regardless, we are so happy to be at home and to be snuggling and nursing on demand. I feel like we are starting all over as far as nursing goes, and that is just fine for me. He is doing great, and although he looks worse for the wear after being in there, at least he is breathing well and settling well back into life as #5.

Thank you again for all of your well wishes. I'm off to do more babymooning now!

And I will add pics as soon as possible!
#27 of 40 Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

i'm so glad that he's doing well--that he's home with you--and that everyone is happy except the crazy people.

good luck to you with them.
#28 of 40 Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 PM

I'm sorry you were treated so badly by the NICU staff and neonatologist. And I hate that they use CPS to threaten people with, well knowing that it will result in the separation of mother and newborn (and using that power to control the behavior of patients). It's reprehensible and wrong.

That said, I'm so glad it sounds like things are going well with your babe. Have you found a family doc/ped you're going to take him to to get the hospital off your back?

Happy babymooning! I hope it's smooth sailing from here on out.
#29 of 40 Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM

Congratulations and welcome baby Blitz!

I'm sorry for the awful treatment. :

But very glad he's doing so well now. What a BIG boy for 34 weeks! Enjoy your babymoon!
#30 of 40 Old 07-31-2007, 05:47 PM

I'm so glad you were able to get him out! Our NICU experience was so horrible. They wouldn't let us check out AMA - they were immediately going to call CPS if we insisted. And they were so *clueless* about how bfing works - the whole strict schedule thing is so *crazy*. Thank goodness, they let us in that one family sleep room so I could at least feed him.... Sorry, don't want to get started... What's the deal with TX?!!... moving on... So glad to here you are home!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page