Just delivered yesterday, part of placenta still - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there is definitely a place for western medicine in the UC toolbox.

whether or not Tammy is to that place, i don't know. but, she'll know soon enough. it will either resolve itself, something natural that she tries will work, or she'll have to go and get some help.

either way, no big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 02:08 PM

have you tried cranesbill or shepherds purse yet?
#33 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 PM

If it's retained membrane, clots could be wrapped in the membrane. Is your lochia lighter than you expected? Retained membrane with clots could block discharge. Do you have a MW you could consult about this?
#34 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Have you heard of sepsis, ever? One of my friends nearly died last year because she developed an infection after some tiny placenta parts had stayed inside post-delivery. Luckily, she took her fever seriously and got herself into a hospital ASAP, where she was saved in the nick of time. The doctors there were practically white with shock - an infection inside the womb is no laughing matter and can turn into a full-blown sepsis (which is among the top 5 or so causes of death in the western world, IIRC) within hours.

Please, please, please, if you feel weak or faint or have even the slightest temperature, call 911 or go to an ER or whatever.
#35 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 PM

I have removed posts that were either in violation of the MDC User Agreement or quoted a post that was. Please, please, please remember that we are all real people here--one of whom has just given birth within the last 24 hours. There is never any reason for personal attacks or disrespectful posting. I will be in contact with those whose posts were removed for UA violations to request edits. Anyone who would like her posts reinstated but doesn't receive a PM from me, please contact me

Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
While I deeply appreciate everyone's POV, please remember that it's against the UA to take personal issue with another member on a thread:

Quote:
Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread.

Quote:
Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email or private message. We will make every effort to remove objectionable messages within a reasonable time frame, if we determine removal is necessary. If you feel another member is behaving in a manner that is in violation of these rules, do not take matters into your own hands. Let us try to resolve the situation. Simply alert the moderator of the forum
And to the OP, congratulations on your baby and please keep us posted as you can.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation and understanding.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#36 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 05:03 PM

Congrats on your baby.

However, respectfully, I would seek medical advice. Potential uterine infections aren't something to faff about with.
#37 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 05:05 PM

Ok this may be coming way late - and you probably did so already, but I read somewhere (here?) that coughing will often help retained membranes come out?

Congrats on your new babe. I hope the membranes-issue resolves itself without you having to go to the hospital/doc or the like

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#38 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 05:15 PM

I had a similar situation with my UC. The placenta was hanging by the membrane. We looked it up in Heart and Hands by Davis. It suggested twisting the membrane into a rope until it detaches. It worked for me and nothing was retained. I stayed like that, with it hanging, for a good 40 minutes before we figured out what to do.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#39 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Congratulations!

I too believe what you are describing is retained membranes (the bag the baby was in). It should pass on it's own, but do watch for infection and heavy bleeding. It may not be attached to the uterus, but just stuck in the edge of the cervix when it closed or even in the vagina. Just keep an eye on things!

~A
#40 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 05:51 PM

I forgot! Start drinking echinacea tea/infusion daily. This will help boost your immune system and keep infection at bay. This is what is used for childbed fever and I have a doctor that even agreed that it was a better choice than antibiotics. I did this after a m/c and d&c just to make sure there were no bad bugs in there to cause problems. ~smiling~
Vit C would also be a good thing to take or increase as you take care of the issues.

Good Luck!

~A
#41 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 06:35 PM

If it's not out in a few days, I would really recommend going to the doctor, as you may end up needing a D&C. I would think that herbs that are helpful in stimulating uterine contractions and inducing labor/miscarriage might be helpful in expelling the placenta, like Pennyroyal, Goldenseal...etc. Nipple stimulation and nursing may help...but the contractions that occur after birth are to help the uterus return to normal size, and once your cervix closes up, which takes a different amount of time for everyone, there's not much chance of getting the placenta out without a D&C. If it is the membrane, there's a lower chance of infection, higher chance it'll come out. But you don't know for sure.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#42 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 PM

I really have to agree with the others that have advised a trip to the ER. At least a consult with a MW. Please let someone with some knowledge examine you before you get an infection. Personally, I would rather be proactive.
#43 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

i should assert that it's not necessarily the "voice of reason" that is advising one to the ER. largely, it is the voice of panic, fear, confusion, cultural acclimation, and lack of information that does it. Not always, of course, there is often a good reason to go to a doctor.

i should also assert that it is not passive to ask those who have knowlege (ie, us) for information that will serve in a timely fashion, before seeking other, more professional advice. in fact, this is pro-active, it's simply cautious and seeking out all avenues (thorough) before rushing to a busy medical professional with a non-medical problem (and thus possibly keeping said medical professional from a real emergency) that can be easily managed on one's own.

that is not to say, of course, that if one feels that a medical process is necessary and/or appropriate that they shouldn't go. it may be entirely reasonable and absolutely appropriate and proactive. but it's not always the best option, not always the "voice of reason" that dictates this behavior, and it's not the only way to be "proactive."

seeking the experience of others--and their methodologies and support--is proactive. and, others have given the advice in stages. it may solve itself--it may require herbal supplementation--it may require the administration of a professional. There is more than one option--all are reasonable, all are proactive. it simply depends upon the individual and the circumstance.

and only the individual can truly know what is right.

and that's the whole point of UC, and therefore UC support.
#44 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Btw, for the record, I totally agree with seeking advice for natural methods of promoting healing before going to a doctor. I just wouldn't wait too long with this type of thing, and I'd be really careful to look out for signs of infection.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
#45 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 09:42 PM

Sepsis is nothing to fool around with. But there are very clear signs. A high fever and flu like symptoms being a couple of them. I was septic after my fourth baby. I had strep A, which had gotten into my uterus and become systemic. I tried to treat myself for three days, but I did end up going in to the hospital.

Unless I missed it, I didn't see the OP saying she had any signs of anything at all, except the possibility of some retained placenta or membranes. OP, if it were me, I would watch and wait.

Congratulations on your new baby!
#46 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 10:35 PM

Tammy--

I hope you're not letting the voices of panic get to you. Our bodies are amazingly able--able to birth, able to get everything out that needs to get out, and able to deal with low grade infection. Like some, I do caution you to pay attention and not let any symptoms (now or in the next days) get too far before seeking medical help. But I will also say that the time I had retained membranes, I did spike a bit of a fever, and felt a bit flu-ish. I just rested, ate, drank, took herbs, and gave it awhile--just paying attention and willing to get anibiotics if symptoms worsened or did not go away within a ew days. Within 24 hrs, symptoms were getting less--and 24 hrs later, membrane piece emerged and soon after I felt right as rain. Those signs of a normally functioning immune system--fever and some inflammation, which do have a needed job in our bodies--had done that job and were no longer needed. I think you will know if things are getting beyond herbs, patience, and faith in your body...just be supportive as you can, as I and others have described, to help your body do quickly and well what it needs to do.
#47 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 PM

Ginger is a general system cleanser and tonic, it has stimulant properties (stimulating circulation) and is said to bring on supressed menstruation--it is very warming as well. All this is according to John Lust, author of The Herb Book which is one of my first and all time favorite herb guides. I have also read that it can be a blood thinner, tho I can't find my ref on this at the moment--but this idea makes me generally a bit cautious of using ginger in the postpartum period. Not that I won't use or recommend it, but with caution and alertness to this possibility--one can always stop using it if needed. I am a big fan of ginger because it can be efficacious in a wide variety of things--by stimulating the circulation, it can help with detoxifying the system. It is good for the stomach, the lungs, and the muscles--can be used internally or externally (ginger packs are good for sore muscles--but don't put it on mucous membranes!). It helps us fight infections, being a tonic and blood cleanser. Ginger is one of this family's all purpose herbs.

I used it pp for my retained membranes (not that I knew the problem for sure at the time, but did suspect from symptoms) because I wanted something to be both cleansing and to stimulate my circulation; also, since I know from experience that it can bring on menstruation, I thought it would help my uterus to empty itself. If it's not too strong/hot-spicy, I find it very comforting and warming to drink (can't be too strong, or it's over stimulating--but those who tolerate spicy stuff might like it stronger than I do--when recommending this, I always tell people to prepare a strength that they are comfortable with on the tongue, that will be the right dose for their constitution). I figured as a general tonic and cleanser it would support my body's fight against infection. At the time, I believe I also upped my Vit C to about 2000mgs/day, but did no echinacea or other immune boosters or germ killers (like goldenseal or garlic)--I might have added those, if my symptoms had not receded so readily.

Tho I was alert to the possibility of blood thinning and/or over stimulation of my circulation leading to excess pp bleeding, I did not actually experience any of that--all was normal with my flow (it kept reducing per usual). I probably drank 3cups each day, and also had chunks of ginger root put into my soup (not eating them, just letting them leach into the broth).

HOpe that answers the ginger question....
#48 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 11:51 PM

Tammy, Hope you are doing well. Lots of

::
#49 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 11:55 PM

trying... hard... to... obey... user... agreement... must... be... good

Alrighty then, moving right along... mnearthmomma, what does cranesbill do? Is it known by another name?

Shepherds purse is not specifically mentioned for retained membranes, but for hemorrhage. It seems to me like I've heard somewhere that unless the issue is bleeding it shouldn't be used, but I can't remember why. Sorry, I am so not an expert on herbs!
#50 of 52 Old 07-27-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
trying... hard... to... obey... user... agreement... must... be... good

Quote:
Shepherds purse is not specifically mentioned for retained membranes, but for hemorrhage. It seems to me like I've heard somewhere that unless the issue is bleeding it shouldn't be used, but I can't remember why. Sorry, I am so not an expert on herbs!
I believe it's because it causes the uterus to clamp down and the cervix to close, making it harder for anything retained to come out. Someone correct me it that's not right, but I'm fairly certain.

I think Angelica will help any placenta or membranes come out.
#51 of 52 Old 07-27-2007, 12:12 AM

If she were in the process of bleeding to death or suffering uterine infection somehow I doubt she'd be feeling up to internet chatting and would probably be experiencing some easily-recognizable side effects that would obviously warrant a trip to the hospital. Placentas don't require medical treatment to come out; like babies, they can and do come out without doctors watching. Women have delivered placentas and parts of placentas for up to several days after giving birth. It's not retained placenta but infection that truly needs to be treated. As long as there is no sign of infection she isn't taking a huge risk by not running off to the ER immediately. There are many herbs that are known for their effectiveness at helping with birth and situations like this, and it really isn't that difficult to tell when you are bleeding to death or suffering from an infection. I think the OP has gotten really good advice here and is doing nothing dangerous in not dashing off to the ER because she might possibly have a small piece of placenta or the bag of membranes still in her uterus only two days after delivering. And just out of curiosity what other women have died from following advice from strangers on the internet? And do you know how that number compares to how many have died from following advice from medical professionals?

#52 of 52 Old 07-27-2007, 12:16 AM

I'm afraid I have to close this thread for the time being, as the user agreement is not being followed appropriately. It looks like there's a lot of good advice here, so I'm leaving the thread up but not accessible for new posts.

Congratulations on your birth, and be well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page