Just delivered yesterday, part of placenta still - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
attached to my uterus...it won't come out! Is there any herbs I can take while breastfeeding to get this out? Any help is appreciated! I will post my birth story when not so frazzled.... thanks for everything ladies!

Also, I drank some yarrow tea to stop the internal bleeding, and now he seems to not like the taste of the colostrum...I also ate some garlic and that might make it worse...help!! I'll try to check back again soon...

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#2 of 52 Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 PM

How do you know there is a piece of placenta?

I wouldn't worry about the baby and the colostrum taste. Just keep nursing.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 52 Old 07-25-2007, 09:53 PM

Nurse Nurse Nurse

Congrats on your new little one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#4 of 52 Old 07-25-2007, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

The placenta came out mostly and then was still attached inside me. It stayed there longer than the delivery took, and I finally had to cut it off....

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#5 of 52 Old 07-25-2007, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congrats on your new baby!

Keep in mind that, if part of the placenta IS still attached, there could be problems with milk supply. The placenta leaving is part of what tells your body "the baby's born, time to make milk now" and retained placental fragments interfere with that process.

But it's also possible that the placenta came out just fine and you're misinterpreting what's happening with your body. I'm not really sure how to check, as all of my placentas appeared to be whole when they came out.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#6 of 52 Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 PM

I've read birth stories where it took weeks for all the placenta pieces to come out. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have other problems. Don't worry about the garlic or baby not liking the colostrum. Just keep nursing! I actually hear from an LC that babies like the taste of garlic, though I don't know how true that is.
#7 of 52 Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 PM

Oh! There's also something called PlacentaOut. I haven't used it and don't know if it's a tea or what, but it might help you.
#8 of 52 Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post
The placenta came out mostly and then was still attached inside me. It stayed there longer than the delivery took, and I finally had to cut it off....
I find this statement a bit unclear...was it perhaps membranes hanging there? I would take Angelica, a.k.a. Don Quai the get the placenta to come out if it was still attached to the uterus...but are you sure that's the case? Congrats on the birth of your baby boy!
#9 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:15 AM

Hmmm...well, I was perhaps going to say it a bit more delicately, but it does seem like you could end up with a raging infection if you don't have the tissue removed asap. JMO, though. Maybe if you don't want to go to an ER, you could go in and have a midwife examine you?
#10 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithwings View Post
I find this statement a bit unclear...was it perhaps membranes hanging there? I would take Angelica, a.k.a. Don Quai the get the placenta to come out if it was still attached to the uterus...but are you sure that's the case? Congrats on the birth of your baby boy!
Thanks for the info! What happened was, the placenta hadn't birthed for hours, then I kept massaging my uterus/nipples and it started coming out...then stopped and just hung there. I kept waiting for it to come out all the way, but nothing helped. After hours of trying to get it to detach (it was like a big balloon that was hanging out), I finally cut it as close as possible to the opening.

I'll have to order the placenta out, since I still have some fragment in there, I don't want to have to go to the hospital or anything for that..ugh!

Thanks again! Gots to go....more later.

#11 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:33 AM

Tammy, did you try gently pulling it? (very gently!) With my first it came out but was stuck to my genital hair, seriously funny. If it is detached and just sitting in the vagina, it shouldn't be hard to get out. I'm having a hard time imagining how it could possibly be half in your uterus and half hanging out of you - that would have to cause lot's of bleeding. The uterus has to clamp down and close up to keep you from bleeding - it couldn't close up if the placenta was in the cervix. Hope you figure it out soon - watch your temperature - I think it is 102F that is real cause for concern. A quick trip to get checked out would be better than a 3 day hospital stay for IV antibiotics (BTDT). ((hugs)) and congratulations!
#12 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Wondering if this could be a retained membrane?

#13 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 AM

What does the placenta look like? Did it look whole? If you do get checked, take the placenta with you so they can look at it.
#14 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
Tammy, did you try gently pulling it? (very gently!) With my first it came out but was stuck to my genital hair, seriously funny. If it is detached and just sitting in the vagina, it shouldn't be hard to get out. I'm having a hard time imagining how it could possibly be half in your uterus and half hanging out of you - that would have to cause lot's of bleeding. The uterus has to clamp down and close up to keep you from bleeding - it couldn't close up if the placenta was in the cervix. Hope you figure it out soon - watch your temperature - I think it is 102F that is real cause for concern. A quick trip to get checked out would be better than a 3 day hospital stay for IV antibiotics (BTDT). ((hugs)) and congratulations!
It was weird...I'm wondering if it was hanging by the membrane...to describe it it was like the placenta was out...but it was like at the end of a balloon, all stretched. I dabbed at some stuff and where it was coming out of my vagina, there was a whitish sheen...not sure if this describes it or not. It's like the placenta was still sort of attached, like a big bag hanging there. I tried twisting it and stuff, but it didn't come off. Hope this describes it a bit more? Thanks for all your advice, hope to post the birth story soon.

#15 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:38 AM

What you've said doesn't exactly make sense to me. I haven't seen anything or read anything that sounds anything like what you're describing, especially the cutting part. I would suggest you have a professional talk to you and examine the placenta and your perineum/vagina. The web is just not going to be sufficient for this one, I think.

Except for the nursing advice - just keep nursing, at least 8 times a day!

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#16 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
What you've said doesn't exactly make sense to me. I haven't seen anything or read anything that sounds anything like what you're describing, especially the cutting part. I would suggest you have a professional talk to you and examine the placenta and your perineum/vagina. The web is just not going to be sufficient for this one, I think.

Except for the nursing advice - just keep nursing, at least 8 times a day!
: couldn't read and not post

Congratulations on your new babe!
#17 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:44 AM

Yeah, it sounds funny - if you take the whole placenta with you to get checked, I wouldn't think they would be too invasive with you.
#18 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:50 AM

Congratulations on the birth!

It sounds like you're feeling pretty good, is that right? And if your bleeding is normal... it doesn't sound like an emergency situation. I'm still confused by what you're describing, but I wonder too if it is just some retained membrane.
Retained membrane is not necessarily a problem requiring intervention -- it may very well just come out with the lochia eventually. If it's retained placenta, that's another matter. That can resolve itself too but you would definitely want to keep an eye on it -- as others have said, infection or not producing milk are possible problems. (Angelica is good for retained placenta.)
#19 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 AM

it sounds like retained membrane? the membrane the baby is in looks like what you describe..never heard of THAT not coming out while the placenta did though so i have no idea...anyway congrats and good luck!
#20 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 02:09 AM

Thinking more about it - the retained membrane scenario does make sense to me - it's thin so it could be in the cervix and not preventing it from closing. Any kind of herb that will help you contract should help it detach I would think - anything you might have on hand for PPH. (BTW, my cervix redialated last time to pass a clot the size of a baseball on day 2 PP - big things can come out even if you have closed up.)
#21 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 02:46 AM

Wow, good timing! I just finished reading this UC roll call birth story that describes a similar situation. HTH.

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...07&postcount=1
#22 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 02:59 AM

Gather a few midwive's numbers and start calling around. Someone may come over or have you come to them and do an exam. Might save you a trip to the hospital.

When I had my second son, I ended up with a D&C surgery 7-10 days after the birth because of retained tissue. My uterus couldn't contract down after a certain point. I would suggest getting checked before that happens since it was painful, I was bleeding heavily, and the surgery interrupted my time with baby.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#23 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 AM

sounds like a retained membrane( part of the bag of waters). Keep an eye on your temperature, any higher than 102, then go in and get someone to help you get a prescription for antibiotics. A piece of membrane can cause a nasty infection called endometritis, and can spread to the rest of the uterus, and into the tubes. You don't want that. Most of the time, the membranes will come out in one piece, but after the birth, you have to put the whole placenta/bag picture together, to make sure it is all there. if not, get it checked. don't wait. Hope taht helps.
#24 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post
It was weird...I'm wondering if it was hanging by the membrane...to describe it it was like the placenta was out...but it was like at the end of a balloon, all stretched. I dabbed at some stuff and where it was coming out of my vagina, there was a whitish sheen...not sure if this describes it or not. It's like the placenta was still sort of attached, like a big bag hanging there. I tried twisting it and stuff, but it didn't come off. Hope this describes it a bit more? Thanks for all your advice, hope to post the birth story soon.
This is EXACTLY what happened with my last birth, first UC. I did, too, try gently twisting and putting pressure on it but it wouldn't budge. I could see, though, that it was the membrane and I eventually took scissors and cut it loose. I did have my placenta examined by a DR as well because to me it looked intact and they never noticed where the membrane was cut (I didn't mention it either as I forgot). It felt like cutting chicken skin.

A few days later, it did come out. I only ever blead about a 1/4cup when the placenta came out then minimal bleeding after that, so I never worried. I would watch for signs of infection, JIC. HTH, Meg
#25 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 AM

Membranes can and do get retained sometimes...it's happened to me, a fairly large piece of it, too. It did, however, come out on it's own on day 4, no problems. If I am 'seeing' what you're describing, then it is retained membranes.

Do watch your temp and be alert to pain in the uterus--NOT afterpains, contrax that come mostly with nursing/right after nursing, but a throb, ache, constant. Any fever is suspect--but if you get an infection, you will probably really be hurting, too. Any weird smell--if there is infection starting, that would be because what is in there is rotting, and it will smell bad. Watch your lochia/flow--for yellow or green. Red, brown, clearish, pinkish is ok and it should only smell like blood, not rot. You should not be soaking pads very fast--or at least, you might have a couple hours of more bleeding when it tries to exit, but this should subside--get help if you bleed so much that it makes you feel faint or otherwise icky.

Rest, excellent nutrition and hydration, LOTS of nursing, and if you're up for it, then maybe a little walking (easy)--it will most likely come out on it's own.

Just don't take any symptoms described, or any feeling of being ill, too lightly. Intrauterine infection can kill--pretty darn fast. That said, don't worry either--just pay attention. You may or may not notice when it passes--I did, happened in the shower, if it's a big enough piece it'll be hard to miss. But it could break up while in there, and come out on your pads in such small bits that you miss it. If it's only membrane, most likely it'll pass without ado.

I drank ginger tea to help it exit--didn't exactly know it was in there, but had a feeling I should treat myself as if something was in there that needed to come out.
#26 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Banned

it's so cool that we can share these experiences and learn so much from each other.

my intuition didn't give me any big alarms (certainly not an alarm like the pp who wanted to scare you into the dirty ER where you likely would get an infection), just the nudge to observe carefully--temp, overall feeling of wellness, bleeding. that was it.
#27 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned

and i forgot to mention: Congratulations on your birth and baby!
#28 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned

I have no experience or advice to offer, but I wanted to say congrats! I can't wait to read your birth story (when you feel up to it of course!)
#29 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:10 PM

Great post MsBlack. So what exactly does the ginger do?
#30 of 52 Old 07-26-2007, 12:38 PM

Just to throw my experience to the mix, when I got a uterine infection (nothing retained), I felt like I had the flu - I didn't notice pelvic pain. They kept me in the hospital for 3 days on IV anitbiotics - and I actually do think it was a neccesary treatment, because it was a very hard homebirth, and I was quite run down. But not fun. Second birth I started getting flu-like symptoms several days after the birth - I put myself on oral antibiotics right away (I had some from Mexico), and avoided the trip to the doctor. (I've had risk factors for infection both times - prolonged rupture of membranes, mecomium in the water, VEs, and perhaps not contracting enough post partum.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page