Washington Post article is up - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
God, I am so sick of seeing her pop up everywhere. She is a UA violation if there ever was one. Well, at least we don't have to listen to her baloney here!
#62 of 84 Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Banned

no clue who Dr Amy is, and I'll thank googly for it.
#63 of 84 Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
For a healthy woman, the overwhelming likelihood is that unassisted birth will be fine," Rothman said. "But a woman having a baby is not in a position to be monitoring herself."
Haha, because it is SO hard to take your blood pressure while you're in such a delicate condition...not to mention patients aren't as good at counting as their doctors, so they aren't qualified to do fetal heartrate counts (but they can be trusted to do kick counts).

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#64 of 84 Old 08-02-2007, 02:33 PM

Laura, has Dr. Amy come directly at you yet? She targetted Henci Goer a while back, so I know she likes to have a go at leaders of the homebirth/freebirth movement.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
#65 of 84 Old 08-02-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baelzharon View Post
I was disappointed that there wasn't any representation in either the Post article or the discussion from the fathers point of view.
Hopefully that will change. The writer interviewed Lynn's husband for an hour but apparently chose to include very few of his comments. My husband David has done two interviews about our births recently and plans to do more.
Laura
#66 of 84 Old 08-02-2007, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post
Laura, has Dr. Amy come directly at you yet? She targetted Henci Goer a while back, so I know she likes to have a go at leaders of the homebirth/freebirth movement.
Yes, she has written about me in her blog. I don't respond to anything she writes (either about me or anyone else) because she's an angry bitter woman who will probably go to her grave believing that homebirth is dangerous. I'd rather spend what little free time I have responding to people who are genuinely interested in learning the truth about birth.
Laura
#67 of 84 Old 08-02-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
Is there a source for this Laura? I'd love to read up on it more.
Sorry it took me a while to respond. I thought it would be best to start a new thread on this -

Birth, complications and death in tribal cultures:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...92#post8799192
Laura
#68 of 84 Old 08-03-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurashanley View Post
Yes, she has written about me in her blog. I don't respond to anything she writes (either about me or anyone else) because she's an angry bitter woman who will probably go to her grave believing that homebirth is dangerous. I'd rather spend what little free time I have responding to people who are genuinely interested in learning the truth about birth.
Laura
#69 of 84 Old 08-03-2007, 12:56 AM

I read somewhere that Dr. Amy's a fake. Not a real doctor and not even a woman. I can't remember where though.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#70 of 84 Old 08-03-2007, 01:03 AM

Yeah, I don't bother with her anymore either. It's a waste of time. She keeps trying to edit the Wikipedia entry on homebirth... They keep denying her revisions, stating that they are biased.

She is a real doctor but is not practicing or licensed. She quit her practice a few years ago to be a SAHM, supposedly, though her youngest child was 17 last I heard him mentioned. She went to Harvard and graduated back in 1980. Her license has been expired for several years.

#71 of 84 Old 08-03-2007, 06:19 AM

My mom told me about this article the other day.She is still in awe of DS's wonderful birth and has enjoyed telling others about how normal it was.Before I had DS, she watched some mainstream baby shows with me and saw how complicated and frightening the hospital births were.When I had DD she saw the way the Dr was flying around not ready and how dumb it was to try to find the heart beat as my baby is crowning.(DD was born 7 minutes after arrival at the hospital,a hospital UC if you will.)I am glad that she was there and can share my story with others so that maybe it won't be a freakish fad decision but a choice among others and the right one for MY family.
I chose UC for lots of reasons.Fear of the big pink hospital here and what goes on there.My treatment at other hospitals(I've had 3 in 3 different states, so I've got some knowledge).I know what is normal for me(I labor for the last month and then boom! I hit transition and baby is here)I haven't met a Dr who really understands and trusts and sees me and not thier book or clipboard.I have very very fast,easy births so the chances were high that I would have my baby on the side of the road rushing to get to another location.I just got to HI and knew nobody who could watch my children while at the hospital or be with me if DH was gone (I am a Navy wife).I live on base, so a civilian MW couldn't come to me.I am healthy and if I don't know what to do after 3 kids then why am I having a 4th?
DH and I joked about it when I was pregnant with DD and I did lurk here after the MW in WA turned me down but I didn't know enough so I went along with the hospital and was very sorry.I came back and lurked some more even though I was supposed to be done birthing.My secret wish was granted and I had another gift,I was even given the gift of a mostly UP pregnancy as I found out at 20 weeks and was moving cross country so didn't even see another "professional" until 29 weeks and opted out of the last two weeks visits.I used anecdotal stories to prepare me for my hospital births and I used them again for my UC along with looking up what might happen and my own experience.Its how I learned about breastfeeding too.I hope that others will learn from my story too.
Thank you Laura for being the face and storyteller so that others in the world who do not have access to MDC know that UC can be a choice too.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#72 of 84 Old 08-03-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
For me, while it was partially because the system is broken that I chose to UC... it came down to weighing the options. I did not decide to UC without researching BOTH uc/hospital birth/and even midwife assisted although it wasnt really an option for me. I didnt just say "hey, thats for me" or "my goddess will protect me" etc and decide to UC. Just like I didn't say "hey my doctor knows more than me and therefor i have to blindly listen" and decide to have a hospital birth. In that same vein, I did not choose to homeschool my son without first weighing both the public school and homeschool options, nor did I choose to wear my DD without analyzing carriers and strollers, and choosing the one that was best for MY family. ya know? Maybe I'm more analytical than most, but I see negatives and positives to just about every choice, and the balance, for me, is choosing the one that weighs most in my favor.

NOW, that being said... if hospitals were like luxury hotels with complimentary GOOD food during labor, a jacuzzi tub in every private birthing/laboring/postpartum suite, a closet full of natural birth assistance tools (birth ball, sling, massage packs, etc), a complimentary pro-natural birth doula available but not required, soft music, soft lighting, and a fully supportive non-interventive staff of OBs/Midwives/Nurses who understand that you are paying THEIR salaries, and treat you like a respected and cherished guest... along with a bed 2-3 times the size of the current hospital beds, a sleeper couch, and toys for the much welcomed elder siblings (as well as a playroom and friendly childcare provider for those who's children wish not to be present).... well then I would become a hospital birther.
Haha, true dat! LOL.

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#73 of 84 Old 08-03-2007, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Crittersmom!!

Re Dr. Amy, she appears to be real, and apparently will have a call in radio show soon where women can ask questions. http://www.askdramy.com/
Laura
#74 of 84 Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM

Her call-in radio show was like years ago.

She just hasn't updated that site in years.

She spends all her time on her 'debate blog' demeaning women for chosing homebirth and then accusing them of demeaning women by advocating for a woman's right to homebirth.

#75 of 84 Old 08-03-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Heather! From looking at her page I assumed there was a growing interest in her work. I personally believe she's part of a dying breed - hence her desperation to spread misinformation.
Laura
#76 of 84 Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 PM

She hates me. She banned me...hehe

From what I have heard even the professional medical world thinks she's a bit of a joke. :/ Not because of what she believes but because of her attitude and her methods of trying to prove herself correct.

#77 of 84 Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 AM

Honestly the whole article mad me really mad. I wanted to comment but didn't even know where to start. Personally I feel Dr.s should be accused of hubris and I have accused them repeatedly as I am firing them. For some reason 4 yrs of medical school ect makes them demigods. Guess what, being male, they don't give birth nor will they ever so they will NEVER truly know the intuition of birth and, to me, that is far superior to their monitoring.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#78 of 84 Old 08-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post

There is a fundamental flaw in Ms Rothman's underlying assumption - I do not go outside the system because it is broken. I go outside the system BECAUSE I DO NOT NEED IT - IT IS USELESS TO ME!

Ah, better now...
or more correctly, you were never IN the system to begin with! their system is not the default, and we don't 'go' outside of it so much as we 'stay' outside of it!
#79 of 84 Old 08-04-2007, 12:44 PM

[edited because I don't want to violate the UA]

Treading carefully... ... Well, that's interesting. Her "book" is a laugh. Here's a good example: http://www.askdramy.com/Chap17-2.html Classic. Although even with modern books about medicalized childbirth, it's rare to find the process depicted that simplistically. Yeah, she's all about education, right.
#80 of 84 Old 08-04-2007, 12:59 PM

She has a discussion forum over there, too, and the people who post there LOVE her even though she never talks to them...and they all have very interventionist births, all kinds of ultrasounds, etc. :/

#81 of 84 Old 08-04-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoppressed MAMA Q View Post
or more correctly, you were never IN the system to begin with! their system is not the default, and we don't 'go' outside of it so much as we 'stay' outside of it!
VERY GOOD POINT! I stand corrected
#82 of 84 Old 08-04-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
[edited because I don't want to violate the UA]

Treading carefully... ... Well, that's interesting. Her "book" is a laugh. Here's a good example: http://www.askdramy.com/Chap17-2.html Classic. Although even with modern books about medicalized childbirth, it's rare to find the process depicted that simplistically. Yeah, she's all about education, right.

That was one of the creepiest things I have ever read...and the pictures at the bottom of the page. OMG. Seriously creepy.
#83 of 84 Old 08-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnearthmomma View Post
That was one of the creepiest things I have ever read...and the pictures at the bottom of the page. OMG. Seriously creepy.
it is a bit um...determinist?
#84 of 84 Old 08-04-2007, 06:49 PM

haha! the pictures at the bottom remind me of the brochures on air planes on what to do in an emergency .. everyone's smiling and calm and sedated looking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page