Cervical Lip - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2007, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have any of you UC'd and had a cervical lip? I'm considering UC now for the first time but haven't talked with DH about it yet because I want to have a better idea what it involves before I bring it up. This is our 4th, we've had one hospital birth and two wonderful homebirths. With every single one I had an anterior (SP? not even sure if that's the right term) cervical lip that ended up needing assistance. With our last one I had a long labor and the majority of the time I was stuck on that lip hoping it would move on it's own (we didn't do vaginal exams until 10 hours in- 13 hours later I was still there). It didn't and after I was becoming completely exhausted and weak I asked the midwife to move it- baby was born 20 min. later and DH caught. If it weren't for that I would feel like I didn't need a midwife. Have any of you experienced UCers had a history of a cervical lip and managed to UC? Is this something I could move on my own? I hate the idea of anything being inserted vaginally anyway but I also don't want to labor forever at "9 cm."

Any help and suggestions you could give would be great. Also, I could use some ideas on how to bring this up to DH. I would still use my midwife for prenatal care due to severe complications from Hyperemisis Gravidarum and a history of PTL but once I make it to 36 weeks I think I would be fine on my own.

Thank you ladies.

Jessica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 04:29 PM

I had a cervical lip during my UC. I couldn't feel it, so I didn't know what was going on. I ended up with "pushing contractions" (post-natural alignment plateau contractions) with no urge to push for about 6-7 hours before I decided to transfer to the hospital. That was mainly due to being a FTM and having some doubts about where I was in labor. If it happened again and I was having a UC, I would do a cervical check and search for a lip. If I couldn't find it, I'd ask dh to do the same. If he couldn't find it, I'd try to push and see how that felt.

If I could find the lip, I'd attempt to push it out of the way myself, or try pushing past it. I think that if it was a small lip, it would be possible to push past it. Whether I continued pushing or not would depend on how it felt and whether the baby was descending.

I've decided my max waiting time after transition/natural alignment plateau for the pushing urge is 2 hours before doing some investigating. Everything transition and after was extremely painful for me.

Good luck - I am planning a midwife-attended birth this time around. Your story makes me think there may be another cervical lip in my future (of course, I was hoping to avoid this . . .).
Old 08-02-2007, 04:45 PM

Here's a thread I starteda bit ago about cervical lips and the pushing urge (the above posters birth story prompted that thread). While it doesn't neccessarily answer your exact question it might be worth reading.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both, I appreciate you sharing this information. I'm headed over to that other thread now.

Romana9+2, I was told it may or may not happen again but honestly, I expect it to though I'm trying to visualize a different experience. Unfortunately, I found in talking with my mother that she had it in every one of her births so I wonder if it's just something about our cervix. Hope not!

Thanks for sharing and anyone else that would like to share, thanks in advance!

Jessica
Old 08-02-2007, 07:11 PM

I didn't read all of that other thread, but I also had a cervical lip during my second UC. I think. I'm not a medical professional so I can't be totally sure. But I have had 3 wonderful UC's if that counts for anything.

Basically, my water did not break with DS for the entire labor. I had great contractions out of the watertub but kept getting in and things would slow down. After 7 hours of very mellow labor I did a self check and felt the bag of waters bulging out of my cervix and what I thought was a lip. I pushed it back a bit. I had not had the urge to push, but had been pushing a bit gently and I know he had descended quite a bit in the hour previous. Anyway, after the lip, I got out of the tub, went pee, my water broke, and wham bang 2 contx later he was born. So - ya, I don't see why you would need somebody else to check for a lip for you. If you think things are stalled or you should be pretty much dilated, check and see.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:42 PM

I think I mentioned it in the linked thread, but I'm pretty sure the lips I've experienced in the past were due to getting into squatting positions before I really had the urge to do so. Getting baby's head off the cervix seems to help me dialate better. I think I'm so roomy and my babies small - they descend too far before I have dialated and my cervix gets pinched.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 PM

I've seen very few cervical lips in my practice--and only one that seemed to be a problem...but it wasn't. The 'problem' was that the baby was just stuck way up high, somewhere on momma's pelvis. We waited it out, after trying pushing for a bit (not long and not hard, because if pushing is going to help, it'll help without that much effort or time), and trying various positions/movements. When baby popped out from behind whatever it was, she came down in 2 pushes, no time to even mould her head...very suddenly.

Otherwise, with the few lips I've seen, I will generally encourage mom to push IF she feels like it--and see if that helps at all--some push right past it. If she doesn't feel like pushing, then we work more on keeping her strong--rested, hydrated, fed, supported (as/if needed), so that she will be able to go on, and figure it out or wait it out. I've never coached a mom to push for hours. When all is ready, second stage just wont' take that long. If it's taking that long, then something somewhere along the line is not ready! By the way, baby's can get born just fine, even w/out pushing 'urge'--if contrax are happening, then uterus will still push baby out. I can see how a mom might push for a long time under her own internal guidance...can't see how I would be 'helping' to coach her to do so in absense of that internal guidance. Almost every story I've ever heard of these hours of pushing (like, more than about 2, tho I most often see 2nd stages from 5min to 1hr), is a story where somewhere along the line, mom and mw each/both decided that it couldn't be done without interference and 'guidance'--one or both stopped trusting the process and started trusting the mw more (and the midwife's 'methods'/interventions). Decided that it was time to make it happen, instead of figuring out how to allow it to happen...and trusting that it would happen. That kind of pushing is so hard on moms, and can be hard on babies, too...far easier on both (if not exactly easy) to relax, wait, trust while staying fed, hydrated, etc.

Sometimes, I've seen that a lip does mean some kind of different presentation--head is not quite turned right or is not yet moulded enough, hand is up, something out of the ordinary or something (like sufficient moulding) that needs more time. And in these cases, it seems to help to get pressure OFF the cervix--laying down on side, hands and knees, or even knee chest, to take gravity's pull away from the equation. What I think is that when the head is 'being slammed against the cervix' as one pp put it, that makes it HARDER to open, not easier. Reducing gravity can reduce the slamming, and allow the cervix to completely relax. Along with the whole pelvis/back.

Maybe one day I will be at a birth where it seems right to push a lip out of the way. Haven't been to that birth yet. Either mom pushes past it without much ado, in accordance with her urge to push--or we wait until that is possible (or it disappears). And this waiting has not yet been a big deal to anyone...maybe it is more hours of labor, but a woman who is confident, fed, hydrated, rested where possible, and supported in any way she needs, will not get worn out from labor. And if she completely, really truly totally relaxes, this will happen sooner rather than later--head will mould or turn to right place, pelvis/tissues will adjust to that hand being up, whatever.

The mama in the forest, I think, would follow what her body was telling her...can't picture her messing with her cervix, tho I spose that's not out of the question.

User Tag List