What does intuition "feel" like? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for the most part my experience of intuition is a quite voice- calm consistent , even if I am perceiving that something is not right it isn't the loud voice of panic or fear- so for me intuition can be shouted over or missed because of the subitle nature of it, so it takes a bit of inward focus most of the time or a release of busy mind stuff-- and the more practice I have at listening to it the less other noise intrudes
I too have experienced a different degree of intuition very much like what fourlittlebirds has described- when our 3rd baby was born I saw/felt inside my body to where she dropped and spun around-- it was such a degree of altered state that it is hard to put into words- very much a whole mind/body integration
#32 of 42 Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
"a physical sense of dread, almost like seeing something out of the corner of your eye"
yep, that exactly.

with my last pregnancy (ectopic) as soon as I saw the + test I *KNEW* something was very wrong. I pushed until we got an answer. I can't explain how I knew, I've had 18 other losses and none were ectopic and I had no reason to fear one (no risk factors). But I did. and I was right.

I definitely agree it was not rational, but it was not irrational. If it were irrational, there would not be a reason. I consider it more illogical.

ir·ra·tion·al /ɪˈræʃənl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-rash-uh-nl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1.without the faculty of reason; deprived of reason.
2.without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.
3.not in accordance with reason; utterly illogical: irrational arguments.
4.not endowed with the faculty of reason: irrational animals.
5.Mathematics.
a.(of a number) not capable of being expressed exactly as a ratio of two integers.
b.(of a function) not capable of being expressed exactly as a ratio of two polynomials.
6.Algebra. (of an equation) having an unknown under a radical sign or, alternately, with a fractional exponent.
7.Greek and Latin Prosody.
a.of or pertaining to a substitution in the normal metrical pattern, esp. a long syllable for a short one.
b.noting a foot or meter containing such a substitution.
–noun
8.Mathematics. irrational number.

il·log·i·cal /ɪˈlɒdʒɪkəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-loj-i-kuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
not logical; contrary to or disregardful of the rules of logic; unreasoning: an illogical reply.
#33 of 42 Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 PM

Congrats on your UC HB!

For me, my intuition was either a 'feeling' (dread when it's a 'bad' feeling), or sometime images that flash through my mind. I knew that I shouldn't do a hospital birth because when I went to the hospital for preterm labor I got a feeling of 'dread' like I was not supposed to give birth there. It had nothing to do with 'fear', because I don't fear hospitals.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#34 of 42 Old 08-07-2007, 10:45 PM

tammy--I can relate to your feeling of 'dread' but not fear...has happened to me a few times as a mom and mw. Particularly with my last baby, attempted UC but transporting for thick mec and before that, some bleeding w/every contraction (NOT bloody show, a trickle). I knew we needed to go in, tho at that point baby's heart tones were fine. Spent 4-5hrs in hosp laboring...long story short, tho doc was trying to allow a natural birth and not TOO concerned about the bad decels with ssslllloooowww recovery, I called for a csec. Not in a panic, I wasn't afraid (not that I *wanted* surgery)--but I had a dread, I knew something wasn't right with my baby--I could feel him trying to descend w/every contrax, then jerking upward again every time. Sure enough, he was all wrapped up in cord and pulling placenta out a bit--bleeding was partial abruption. We both were fine, and I was glad that I'd listened to myself. Surprising that this doc said "I know how much a natural birth means to you, we can wait another hr or 2 to see if this works out" (I was 8cms at the time). But I just said, "No, something's wrong--I want surgery now, before it goes really bad. "

Weird thing, to know that dread without also feeling afraid or at all panicked.
#35 of 42 Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post

Weird thing, to know that dread without also feeling afraid or at all panicked.
That's the thing that gets me. I've had situations where I've wondered why I didn't get a warning that would allow me to avoid the whole thing, but instead I got a warning that told me what was going to happen right beforehand and somehow kept me calm. It was like I was supposed to have the experience for some reason.:

But that odd calm when I should have been irate, or freaking out, is just so hard to explain or understand.

for intuitive readings click here :
#36 of 42 Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

I think the appropriate word is "arational" or "alogical." It's not anti-logical, but rather outside the realm of logic/rationality altogether.
#37 of 42 Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 AM
Banned

i wrote a bit about intuition in this post, and i'll expand on it a bit more here, and then talk about my "feeling" of it.

in that post, i mentioned the two types of intuition that i experience. the first is what i call 'innate wisdom' and the other is what i call 'informed wisdom.'

the first style of wisdom or intuition is that which is innate. it's location is largely in the innate and natural 'knowing' of the body--deeply connected to physical processes, instinct, natural biological processes, and the "feeling brain" of the solar plexus. this is waht many peopel call "gut feeling" and it's a sort of intuition that is deeply connected to physical being.

it requires a certain level of both physical and emotional grounding--which developes a deep understanding and trust in the body's own workings and 'knowings.' these knowings can give our consciousness (our minds, intellect) clues about what is going on, what we may need to do to act. And if we listen to that, we do quite a good job of taking care of our bodies and keeping ourselves healthy and safe physically and often emotionally as well.

to me, this sort of innate knowing or wisdom feelings like a gut tingling feeling that starts in the solar plexus and works it's way outward in a warming fashion or in a strong tingling fashion. warming tends to do with positive things (this is the "right" way to go) and tingling is more like a "spidey sense" that tells me something is not correct or needs to be corrected. the tingling tends to stay localized until i can determine the appropriate action to take in response to the tingling sensation.

this warning system, leads into the next form of intuition quite nicely, actually. i call this 'informed wisdom' because it's located largely in the head. i tend to feel it in the third eye center--when the energy is relaly moving--and it is something that functions as an extension of intellect.

as a pp mentioned, there is this aspect of conscious and sub conscious knowings at the organic levels, things picked up by the brain consciously or unconsciously that are being brought together into informed, coalesced ideas. these ideas, of course, are intellectual in and of themselves, a product of the brain matter connecting information and creating it into a thought pattern or idea.

beyond this intellectual space, is the ability to really understand and utilize this idea in an effective manner--and this is the spirit knowing, the animating force within and behind our physical and spiritual selves. we 'break through' intellectualism into this space when we allow that intellectualism to be held as valuable, but ony as valuable as it is applicable in that moment.

as an example, one can have great knowledge of birth intellectually, but until confronted with birth (own or another's in the present and immediate) will the spirit animate that knowledge into something functional and appropriate in action. this becomes an informed intuition--informed by both the conscious and unconscious information stored in the brain, as well as the information of the moment, as well as the information from the 'innate knowing' or 'gut feeling' and then animated by the Spirit.

to me, this sort of knowing or intuition has two feeling components. first, there is the sensation of openness in the third eye through the crown of my head, which really feels like a sense of physical lightness and ease in the area, as if the wind is blowing through my hair and extending it up and out in all directions, curling as it does, moving away from my face.

the second aspect of feeling is the sense of "knowing" deep in my bones. So not only do i feel "light and open" i also feel very physically present and grounded, where the "bones" are housing the knowledge and from that most central, most core physical place, the body is acting on that spirit animation of that knowledge from that deep physical level. That is, the spirit is moving on the physical through bones and outward.

(i have a great love of bones, and it has a specific and unique symbology to me of being ancient, knowing, wise, the origins, the aftermath of life, the mark of one's legacy, and so on. . ..)

when i have a concert of intuitive action, i find that i feel a great sense of tingling and warmth (alternating as i'm moving through and between the 'not-right/right' spaces), as well as a great sense of grounding and spiritual openness--i feel more physical and more 'attached' or firm in my bones, while simultaneously feeling light and open in my head, shoulders, arms, and hands (most commonly associated with 'action' for me).

it's a powerful place.

does this answer the question in any helpful way?
#38 of 42 Old 08-08-2007, 09:04 AM

bigeyes--yes, I've had this experience and feeling as well. With my own birth I mentioned, there was that dread that something was 'wrong' and that I should act, specifically by going to the hospital and then asking for a csec before my doctor even thought it was absolutely necessary (altho of course he changed his mind once he saw the state of the baby/cord and placenta).

But there have been a few other really notable things in my life (one as a mw, one as a person concerning my mate then) that have occurred with that sense of dread, of KNOWING that x was about to happen...and NOT having the sense that I could/should act to prevent it. As a midwife, the 'dread' was in knowing a babe wouldn't make it, though we had no 'evidence' of that nor any real 'risk factors' in play--but at the same time there was a peace with that dread. It was no kind of motivator to act....just a sad fact (which I didn't understand at the time, and told no one; when we finally did get 'risk factors' late in events, the parents chose prayer and trust anyway over med intervention and it turned out that nothing useful could have been done medically--I never mentioned my 'knowing' until after the fact).

With the mate situation, it was definitely dread with some fear attached--seeing all in a split second just how (awfully) things were going to play out over time, as indeed they did. Still, that fear...or maybe horror...was not something that told me to act this or that way to prevent anything; it did not bring panic. In retrospect, I could see that what began as the 'worst events and years of my life' gradually became the most liberating and empowering...so I understood at last how my greatest desires and purpose were being served by all of it....and why in my soul I did not panic at the foreseeing, OR receive instructions/prompting to act in avoidance.

Sometimes, with these intuitions, we have choices that will indeed impact events 'preventatively'...sometimes, the choices are already made, and what is happening is already the result of the best choice for us. Some would say that some part of these things have even been 'contracted' with Life/The Divine before our births, for purposes that will serve many even if they are hard. Sometimes I think that given my nature, these things are 'preordained' only inasmuch as I'm a person with a hard enough head to require rigorously hard lessons to teach me!
#39 of 42 Old 08-08-2007, 09:05 AM

zoebird--

thanks for your thoughts on this. It totally resonates for me, nicely put.
#40 of 42 Old 08-08-2007, 09:22 AM

For me, it was "You just know." I found later that, looking back on the situation, there were plenty of physical cues and emotional cues that were directing this knowledge. At the time, it was more organic and simply something that I knew. I knew the baby was fine. I knew I was fine. And then when things went on too long, I knew that, also, while still knowing that the baby and I were fine.

Some physical indicators of "fine" were no mec in the fluid, emotionally dealing well with labor, and feeling the baby kick regularly. However, if you had asked me during labor to put these things into words, it would have taken a while to think about it and explain it in between some very intense contractions. But if you had just asked "Are you okay?" I would have said "Yes," and if you'd asked "Is the baby okay" I would have said, "The baby's doing great."

And then at some point I turned a corner and while we were both fine, due to my own exhaustion and prolonged pain I knew that something had to change, and that was at least partly intuition too. I didn't have crystal ball intuition that explained everything to me or made it clear that what I needed to do was either find a cervical lip I couldn't find and push it out of the way, or push past it. I did have sufficient intuition to know that we had passed pretty far out of "normal" and it was time to do something else. And to know that the baby and I were both doing just fine.

I appreciate my intuition during birth for what it is, while knowing that it can't or may not tell me everything. What it can tell me is enough - whether we are okay or not. I feel strongly that through intuition I would have known if something was really wrong with either me or the baby.
#41 of 42 Old 08-08-2007, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for me I would say yep I do have at least 2 but maybe more types of intuition- I kinda like this question the more I think about it
so this morning I was thinking about the times besides during birth- that intuition plays a role in my life and where/what that has felt like- what came to mind is that connection with my kids- you know when you think ok something is going on- now that feels like tingling and a bit of hair on the back of my neck stands on end-- and with the older kids I would just feel compelled to just do this one thing more- like I had dropped them off one time to visit friends and then thought you know what something isn't right - and almost home I turned around and went back- yep 2 of the other kids were fighting and the police had been called by the neighbors, and I was glad I was there because the police man that came was an abusive and cruel guy- and would have taken much more advantage of the kids if I hadn't been there- there were so many other instances of different feelings I would have with the kids yep somewhere in my head-- when DH was seriously ill I felt that closer to my heart- and it was a pain that went up to my head and I knew that things were not alright--- as for gut feelings I guess for the most part that stuff I am usually trying to ignore- or overcome because it feels more like fear than useful information-- but maybe it is I have been trained with too many false triggers to trust the gut level stuff.
#42 of 42 Old 08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Banned

mwherbs:

i assert that there are more than these "two" kinds of intuitions, but that they tend to be more specific and more localized. the other kinds of intuitions also follow along the chakra origins (as you might notice those "primary" two do), but that the intuitions of these tend to be more specific to the what the chakra "covers" and that these also feed into either the larger innate intuition 1 or informed intuition 2.

but that gets to be really complex, in regards to where it's localized, how it manifests, what those manifestations mean, what it feels like when it does. but, i have no doubt that people intuit at other areas and parts of the body, on other levels, and with other feelings attached. but that these two are more prominent and most easy to grasp and study--particularly for those individuals who are just starting the journey of trusting themselves and discovering and utilizing their intuition.

so, i teach it thus.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page