What does intuition "feel" like? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 08-03-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am writing my PhD dissertation about UC and am currently working on a chapter about intuition and birth. I am curious to know how you experienced intuition and what it *felt* like. What it a physical sensation? If so, what did it feel like in your body? More in your mind?

I've been reading literature about intuition in home birth midwifery (because of course there's nothing written yet about UC!) and am really fascinated with the physical descriptions of intuition: midwives describing it as a "cone of power flowing down through their hands" or "a physical sense of dread, almost like seeing something out of the corner of your eye" (in the case of a fetal loss).

Please share!!! (If you don't want to share publicly, you can email me at homebirth . study @ gmail . com

Rixa (and mom of a 9 mo UC baby!)
#2 of 42 Old 08-03-2007, 03:35 PM

To me if feels good - it is peace. When I'm following my intuition in labor, I'm at peace. When I'm not, it is nagging me - like my conscience - telling me I'm not being true to myself. It's weird, but it feels very "moral" during labor - I feel a strong sense of right and wrong, and in an attended situation I get very angry if I'm being pushed subtly or not so subtly to do what's "wrong".
#3 of 42 Old 08-03-2007, 10:46 PM

Great question, Rixa. I always just though of it as awareness of that which we are not usually aware of because there are too many things swirling around in our heads -- fear, doubt, instructions -- and outside of our heads -- noise, inhibition, etc.

I think the reason people are often so quick to dismiss intuition is because they see it as something magical or supernatural, i.e., not real. Imagined.

Have you read Protecting the Gift? How he talks about when you see a stranger walking toward you most of the time you don't think anything of it, but once in great while you might get a feeling that something's not right, and how important it is to pay attention to that. You may not consciously be aware of all the little physical and chemical clues, but your body and subconscious are.

Here are some dictionary definitions of intuition:

-direct perception of truth

-an immediate cognition of an object not inferred or determined by a previous cognition of the same object

-pure, untaught, noninferential knowledge

-the act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition

In other words, it's a direct experience of reality, as opposed to an inferred belief about reality.

My ability to intuit -- that is, to directly perceive reality -- became so incredibly much stronger when I became pregnant. My holistic perception became stronger too, and of course they're related. At the same time, my ability to look at things according to a logical sequence -- if this, then that -- was weakened. I will never forget when I was first pregnant and my husband was trying to teach me a complex game. I could not follow it. This was frightening to me, as I'd always been so good at such things. But the two kinds of knowing cannot both be at their maximum strength at the same time -- the brain is not set up for that. It's really unfortunate that in our culture the one is considered to be so much more important, and more real, and more rational than the other (none of which are true,) and those who possess it are given the most power, and this makes those who do not have it vulnerable. I think that because of this many women suppress their intuition.

There's another kind of knowing that I don't call intuition, that is supernatural, I believe. One example is when I was in labor with my last child, and before her body turned to be born, I received a vision of it. I mean that I saw it and felt it before it actually happened, with a "third eye" kind of seeing. This wasn't direct experience. And I'm not one that is normally into this kind of stuff, but I can't deny it happened.
#4 of 42 Old 08-03-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
But the two kinds of knowing cannot both be at their maximum strength at the same time -- the brain is not set up for that.
Wow, that makes me feel so much better! I tell you, this 3rd time around my thinking is so altered. I woke up this morning so confused that the clock said it was Friday - I went to bed last night thinking it was Wednesday! I've actually broken down in tears a few times over my "pregnancy brain". But then when it has come to simple problem solving tasks - that has come much easier than normal. I can very quickly and easily assess a situation and know what to do - I just don't know what day it is
#5 of 42 Old 08-03-2007, 10:57 PM

Several of my friends and I have discussed this and for most of us it is hard to describe.

For me it is a sudden 'knowing' that I can feel throughout my entire body. I just know something completely and instantly, when there is absolutely no way that I could possibly do so. I can't describe exactly how I feel it, I just feel the 'knowing,' fwiw.

For a friend, it was a twitch in one eye. Whenever she thought something and felt her eye twitch, she knew it was true.

I like mine better, at least people don't notice it.

Have you ever done something by accident and had that moment of 'oh no, I didn't just do that, did I?'
That kind of wave of emotion that goes through you for a second?

It's kind of like that, but not always unpleasant, depending on what it is that you 'know.'

does that make any kind of sense or help in any way?

for intuitive readings click here :
#6 of 42 Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 PM

What an interesting question. I have no idea if I can answer it.

For me, it is as a pp said, it's a knowing. There is no doubt when I feel it. It's physically in my heart chakra, but it permeates my entire being.

If I am unsure about something, anything in my life, I sit quietly and acknowledge that something feels wrong. It doesn't take long to figure out exactly why it feels wrong, and when I figure that out, there's another feeling specific to that.

Ack. I'm really bad at explaining this!
#7 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 01:42 AM

yes, good question. for me, there are certain things that I just know. it's an instant "yes". I know that is for me. (or an instant no). UC is like that for me, (yes!) so that's an easy one. whew. most things in life aren't as clear as that to me, and so my intuition has to try things on and see where they lead.

one thing i've been really aware of lately is how much my intuition picks up on how others are feeling. i actually feel those feelings myself, and it can be trick to sort out. i think this touches on why it is important who is present with you at birth, and also on how mothers have premonition/psychic connection with their babies in the womb. Similar to how you would pick up on anyone who was around you that much.
#8 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
But the two kinds of knowing cannot both be at their maximum strength at the same time -- the brain is not set up for that.
: Feel ya! To my first massage teacher it was a given that you could not massage and alphabetize in the same day. My ability to remember and logically recall and communicate facts diminished when I really started developing my intuition. It was a hard blow. My inability to concentrate and learn games was particularly hard for me to take, too. I don't know how it will be during pregnancy,but for now I've seen some of my old rational abilities returning, with practice, and hopefully with a better understanding of their usefulness.
#9 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 04:24 AM

after dd's birth for about 5 or 6 weeks i couldn't answer simple questions and couln't hardly verbally communicate. it was really bad the first 2 weeks. this must be why.

::
#10 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 09:21 AM

How does intuition 'feel'?

to me, the clue that gives the answer is the word 'feel'...it is a sensation in the body. Now that said, intuition can come with 'thoughts'/words/ideas/visions about stuff--but it always seems to FEEL like something, in the body. You feel very 'right'--the body is at ease in new way, or maybe a bit excited (or more than a bit) in a pleasurable way, there is a sense of power running through, heightened sense o well-being. As one pp mentioned, maybe a particular body 'symptom' like the eye-twitch.

Or, you feel very 'wrong': heart pounds, sweat emerges, fists clench, tummy knots, stuff like that, that does NOT feel good or right. But it seems right to act on it--you know that this is something to act on, to accept as true--for me in these cases it is often something that I am acting on before I've rationally 'decided' to act.

The rational mind can construct anything at all, and can 'believe' anything at all--it deals with concepts, and is quite capable of dealing in concepts quite separately from the body and material realities. Think of the abused woman, who ignores the pain of her body and smiles because 'I know he really does love me' (an extreme example)--she is pretty much entirely separating concept from body/material reality. Or consider oxymorons like 'fighting for peace'....and so on.

Intuition has to do with not just shutting off the rational faculty (or being shut off from it like we can get during birth/pp, being in a very instinctual mode), but the integration of body and rationality, the use of ALL the senses (including 'esp') in combination w/rationality. Tho it is often enough true with intuition that we are not aware of perceiving information from our bodies and the world around us, we are not aware of that internal computer clicking away too fast to register--seems to me that most often in retrospect we do realize the subtle signals we hadn't realized we were picking up on, and we didn't consciously remember bits of information that applied to the situation. Maybe it is something we read long ago, or a piece of present physical evidence we didn't know we'd picked up on. But all of this plays a part in intuiting stuff--it is a holistic, body and mind inclusive, and usually very rapid process that can take a mere nanosecond to register 'the answer', the message, whatever it is.
#11 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

i will answer this when i have more time, as i am writing a chapter in my preconcpetion yoga book on the development of intuition from a yoga perspective (and my own experience). it focuses on the "two types" of intuition, how they develop, what they feel like for most people (the common 'feelings' of intuition, including my own), and how to utilize this 'skill' in order to make self-knowledge and spirit-guided based decisions.
#12 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 07:03 PM

I had a UP and a UC and can't say I ever had any sort of intuition about it. I'm a very rational person.
#13 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post
I had a UP and a UC and can't say I ever had any sort of intuition about it. I'm a very rational person.
How is intuition irrational?

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#14 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Banned

I don't think I *know* what intuition feels like. I have never had a "gut feeling". I suffer from pretty severe anxiety though, so I can never tell what is my gut and what is anxiety. So I assume everything is anxiety and try to use my brain to figure things out. This thread has been an amazing read for someone like me!
#15 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 07:14 PM

I can really identify with what Hottmama says. I've mentioned before that I am extremely skeptical. My brain gets in the way of a lot of things and it really irritates me at times. I honestly dont pay attention to my intuition or feelings a lot because I feel like I need concrete evidence to back it up.

but,
Quote:
Or, you feel very 'wrong': heart pounds, sweat emerges, fists clench, tummy knots, stuff like that, that does NOT feel good or right. But it seems right to act on it--you know that this is something to act on, to accept as true--for me in these cases it is often something that I am acting on before I've rationally 'decided' to act.
I know its kinda silly but this makes a lot of sense to me, I was thinking of how I feel when my blood sugar goes low. I just know. Obviously now I know the symptoms and what to do about it, but its knowing that something doesnt feel right and having to act upon that feeling.

I've had really uncanny things happen that I cant just explain away. But most of the time I just chalk it up to coincidence.
#16 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
I don't think I *know* what intuition feels like. I have never had a "gut feeling". I suffer from pretty severe anxiety though, so I can never tell what is my gut and what is anxiety. So I assume everything is anxiety and try to use my brain to figure things out. This thread has been an amazing read for someone like me!
FWIW, when I am under a lot of stress and want to 'call upon it' my intuition does not work. Which really sucks because that is when you would think you need it the most. :

When it works spontaneously, even if the situation should cause stress, it doesn't. It's weird, and I don't know how to get around it. But I do have a theory that meditation works to help access it because of the calming effect it has.

#17 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 08:31 PM

I attended a improvisational dance class in college, and that has helped me alot identify intuition. We would go into a really relaxed state, and then just listen to what our bodies were telling us to do by asking the question "what do I want to do now?" and responding immediately and immediately asking the question again. It was fascinating - our bodies would just tell us what to do - our bodies would never lead us into unsafe positions - there would be 25 people dancing in a room and no body ever collided. To me that is what intuition in labor feels like - a very clear message as to what I need to do. I think it has a moral feel because I'm a religious person.

If I'm stressed and ask "what do I want to do now?" and I hear "curl up in a ball and cry" - that IS the answer - if I reject that suggestion by over thinking, it might feel like my intuition is no help. If I just do it, then I may find that once I'm done with my cry, I have my answer to whatever bigger question is plaguing me.
#18 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluefish View Post
I attended a improvisational dance class in college, and that has helped me alot identify intuition. We would go into a really relaxed state, and then just listen to what our bodies were telling us to do by asking the question "what do I want to do now?" and responding immediately and immediately asking the question again. It was fascinating - our bodies would just tell us what to do - our bodies would never lead us into unsafe positions - there would be 25 people dancing in a room and no body ever collided. To me that is what intuition in labor feels like - a very clear message as to what I need to do. I think it has a moral feel because I'm a religious person.

Now THAT is REALLY facinating to me! Any chance you can elaborate or provide links about this type thing?

I'm just all over your posts lately!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#19 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Well, I did a little search on improv. Back when I took the class I couldn't find much on the web, but it looks like it is starting to really take off:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_improvisation
http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=511

This link has photos from my college - gosh, makes me wish I could go back to class! - Group photo page 2 - lady in purple shirt next to man in red pants was my instructor/ there's also some photos a couple doing it with their baby!! Neat!:
http://ci-dancer.tripod.com/lafayett...niglacier.html

Basically we 1st learned deep relaxation - typical stuff - progressive relaxation - at first we began every class laying on the floor on our backs, later we were able to go more immediately into deep relaxation without having to work through it - pretty much like hypnosis, etc.

Then we learned this technique of asking "what do I want to do now?" and immediately responding - not dewelling on the past - asking the question again and responding again - eventually the conscious asking of the question got lost and we just moved without thinking - that's the really awesome part!

That's what I think labor needs - us to get out of the head thinking and into the body thinking - and our culture is TERRIFIED of that - that's why people think we need birth attendants, because what if we aren't "there" in the head?! I remember seeing a birth show on TV once where the midwife *commanded* the laboring woman to open her eyes and look at her. I was screaming at the TV - no, no, you stupid woman!! I truly believe that midwife caused that woman to suffer - the woman opened her eyes and immediately began crying and howling. The thing is though - when you are in the body thinking (which I think is related somehow or another to hypnosis) you are not checked out - you are hyper-alert - aware of everything, but taking it in without the need to analyze - because you immediately know what to do with the input - no need to analyze. Fascinating to me.

Alright, the inmates are taking over the asylum - got to run!
#20 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
How is intuition irrational?
ra·tion·al /ˈræʃənl, ˈræʃnl/
–adjective
1.agreeable to reason; reasonable; sensible: a rational plan for economic development.
2.having or exercising reason, sound judgment, or good sense: a calm and rational negotiator.
3.being in or characterized by full possession of one's reason; sane; lucid: The patient appeared perfectly rational.
4.endowed with the faculty of reason: rational beings.
5.of, pertaining to, or constituting reasoning powers: the rational faculty.
6.proceeding or derived from reason or based on reasoning: a rational explanation.

in·tu·i·tion /ˌɪntuˈɪʃən, -tyu-/
–noun
1.direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.
2.a fact, truth, etc., perceived in this way.
#21 of 42 Old 08-04-2007, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, all of you have really contributed excellent insights!

I feel intuition in my body as a swell of energy, as if my body is filling up and warming up and the energy is expanding all through my body. Like a flow of energy through my core, radiating outward. Also a mental/intellectual quickening, a clarity of thought.

Another sub-thread that some posts have raised:

Is intuition a process of cognition that goes on sub-consciously, as fourlittlebirds described, in which your mind puts together a lot of information that perhaps you didn't consciously think about, and then orders this information in a sudden flash of insight? I call this internal intuition: it's coming from within our own thought processes and observations.

Or is intuition an "external" phenomenon: one in which knowledge comes from somewhere/something outside ourselves?

(Not to imply it's an either/or phenomenon of course)
#22 of 42 Old 08-05-2007, 12:01 AM

I don't know which is intuition but I think they both exist. The second would be what 4littlebirds talked about as "supernatural". I have had moments when I felt that I could have had an "angel" - maybe it was my subconscious putting thing together but it felt more than that - I saw my husband and daughter walk behind a van that had just pulled in a parking spot one time and had the thought - I think she's going to back out - I yelled out and she started backing at the same time - dh and dd jumped back and she slammed on her breaks - that felt like more than just intuitive thinking to me - that felt like someone had helped me. Who knows?
#23 of 42 Old 08-05-2007, 12:13 AM

It is totally from somewhere else. There is absolutely no way I could have known some of the things I did. NO way.

I have gotten things that were for total strangers. Or for people I trusted who I suddenly knew were not trustworthy after all. It absolutely comes from somewhere else, and my body and mind are just some sort of channel for it. The information isn't mine, it goes through me. Often I can tell someone something and not have any memory of it afterwards.

Which is why I hate it when people use that term channeling for what I would term as mediumship, or even being possessed, if that is even possible.

#24 of 42 Old 08-05-2007, 12:32 AM

It's so so hard to put into words!

For me intuition is just a deep knowing. A truth is passed to me and I.just.know. Sometimes I'll feel an energy flow with the knowledge transfer and other times it just appears and feels very intense or bright.

ETA: I just read your sub-questions. For me, most intuition is external. I feel like the information is given to me. There are lots of times when I will put different pieces together and come to a conclusion, but that doesn't feel like intuition as much as good observation/listening/reasoning skills.
#25 of 42 Old 08-05-2007, 09:27 AM

Kari--

I see what you mean, I think--but for me, those good listening/observing/etc skills are all a part of intuition. This is what I meant when I earlier mentioned the rapid processing of information, so fast you're not even aware it's going on before you have the answer. Later, I can most always go back and figure out how I knew what I knew (not that I often try--I more often simply trust--just that it's possible). I think we all pick up on a lot more info from people than we ever realize--pheromones, subtle shifts of expression or body language, changes in their pulse rate or pupil dilation, body temp or vocal tone--or with buying a car, say, subtle sounds in the engine, etc--and this is info we process in our bodies with corresponding reactions/responses (like--someone is getting quite angry but still 'sounds' calm--and you find your own adrenaline rushing anyway; the car 'seems great', but you're nervous about it anyway). Here, I don't mean the obvious stuff necessarily (like a loud tone or raised, clenched fists or an engine obviously straining), but the more subtle and hard to consciously pinpoint signals. Or again, we are reminded without realizing it, of something we read/heard somewhere once, that applies to a current situation.

A pp (who gave the definitions of 'rational' and 'intuition') seems to make the point that there are clear boundaries beteen the rational and intuitive--and even the definitions back up that notion. But I disagree. I think that intuition simply isn't easy to track rationally, especially in the moment. Rational, logical people who need the conscious awareness of 'thinking something through, marshalling the facts, etc', have a hard time believing that intuitive flashes could be rational at all (or at least, inclusive of rationality). I think it depends too on what you're calling 'rational'--sensing someone's pheromones (let's just say it could be proven in a particular case), is a body experience that we are not always conscious of, it is still a fact and yet not a thinking thing. It is a real and logically, factually trackable event nonetheless.

I think of rationality as linear, and as analytic/separative; it is 'goal oriented' and it uses the faculty of taking things apart mentally to examine, compare, calculate (profits, risks, etc). Rationality tends to be number, word and concept oriented...like the idea of making a list of pros and cons about a situation, to try to make a decision--this is a rational, logical exercise with a distinct goal in mind (choosing yes or no). And I think of intuition as spherical, synthesizing, inclusive--it is 'understanding oriented', using the ability to simply notice all of what information is available, and to try to grasp all the elements and the interconnections among elements involved so as to fully see and feel the situation. Intuition is most always more visually and emotionally oriented rather than oriented to words or numbers, also more oriented to the body (as in those physical cues mentioned earlier). Though intuition can and does provide 'yes' or 'no' type of answers, it is far more likely to provide 'yes', 'no' and 'other'--new ideas/realizations entirely, from the original question's intent.

That said, I have to agree with others that there are distinct times when I receive information that I consider neither rational nor intuitive, but is instead a direct communication from the spirit world. Whether you call this Jesus or the Holy Spirit, your Spirit Guides or channeling or 'possession', to me this is another separate category altogether. In my experience, it is much more often the generally intuitive types who receive this sort of transmission than the rational types of people. Not always--but let's face it, the rational types would have a hard time hearing such info in the first place, and a harder time believing it otherwise since it cannot be tracked logically at all! Not to overly generalize, nor to say this with criticism but only as an observation--but rational types most often tend to more rigid and tightly constructed in personality, whereas the intuitive types are more flexible and open.

Don't take this as a compliment or a criticism--there are purposes and benefits to all kinds of ways of being--and perhaps all of us would benefit from balance, anyway. When I say rigid, I only mean that the rational types are usually more oriented to rules, schedules and structures and things making logical sense; this can create true brilliance in some ways, and certainly more organized effective lives in certain ways. This type might make a great leader of an organization or economic theory--or a wonderfully organized homeschool mom. Of course, there is also such a thing as being too rigid--closed, stuck, judgemental, not open to change or differences. When I say flexible and open, I mean people less inclined toward rules and outer-imposed structures, people who can think outside the box--which can also prompt another kind of brilliance in thinking. This type might make a great artist or philosopher or counsellor--or a scattered but effectively supportive unschool mom. And there is such a thing as 'too flexible', which can lead to wishy washiness, poor personal boundaries, being too disorganized to be effective in life. Just to try to clarify that in using these terms, I am NOT implying that one is better than the other--what works well, and is of value to self and others, is all in the person being that way. But also saying that the open, flexible type seems to me to be more inclined to be both more intuitive, and more inclined to hear messages that arise from outside the self (spirit world/ethers).

The story about knowing the van was going to back up, and yelling out--to me this was a message from the angels that mom heard and responded to. Me, I'm perfectly willing to believe that there are plenty of 'other' beings around us, those we can't see and at least some of which are happy to help us when they can. Mind you, I'm not into channelers and I don't pursue info that is rampant now from the legion of channelers available to us today. I prefer my spirit communication to be more personal, thanks! I don't believe I need a channeler to help me live, any more than I think I need a priest or guru to connect me with 'god'...but I sure do believe in what my Catholic ancestors refer to as Guardian Angels, and what currently is often called Spirit Guides. Anyway, just to reiterate that to me, intuition does arise from within, based on all possible info available to us, whether we know that information consciously or not--and that we also can receive accurate knowledge from another realm.

Great discussion, thanks all for your input!
#26 of 42 Old 08-05-2007, 09:53 AM

MsBlack, In my short two sentence description I really didn't adequately communicate.

What I meant to convey is exactly what you did. I guess I name the external messages as intuition and the rapid information processing that happens I call something else.

People call me intuitive when I believe I'm simply aware.

What I call intuition and believe to be external is that feeling of some information being given to me. It will show up as a thought that is not mine - not quite fully a voice, but a tone/emotional feel that clearly is distinct and different from my own.
#27 of 42 Old 08-05-2007, 10:29 AM

Kari--

Often enough, in my extremely lengthier comms, I don't know as I effectively communicate either! :P

Anyway--ah yes, defining terms, always a good thing to do. I guess we are talking about the same two things, but using opposite words to name them.

I think of INtuition as something that comes from withIN. And what comes from 'elsewhere' is (to me) not intuition but a spirit msg. Not sure if my way of defining is any better or more accurate as far as the root meanings of these words--just trying to provide my own definitions of terms.
#28 of 42 Old 08-06-2007, 10:19 PM

the relationship between rational thinking and intuition is an important one to look at, I think. taste happens without seeing, and yet the two streams of information work together to create a more vivid experience. A person can know something, an obvious example would be hunger, without the rational mind entering into it. And the rational mind can do something with that information, and if a person is in a good place, the rational mind might do something very brilliant and creative with some information. But to function at its best a the rational mind needs to be at ease, which means it needs to understand its role. If the rational mind thinks it has to run the whole show and be in charge, it tends go get nervous and confused and spend a lot of time going over and over details and not enough time dreaming and using its higher creative functions. I think the rational mind works best when it is unburdened. I would extrapolate on the definitions of intuition and add that it is the "ability to see what is". The more we can learn to look clearly at what is there, without rational thought or fore-judgment, the more we will perceive through all of our senses. The rational mind has decisions to make and things to remember in order for us to get through every day. Clear intuition creates a secure world for the rational mind to operate in.
#29 of 42 Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcingpath View Post
the relationship between rational thinking and intuition is an important one to look at, I think. taste happens without seeing, and yet the two streams of information work together to create a more vivid experience. A person can know something, an obvious example would be hunger, without the rational mind entering into it. And the rational mind can do something with that information, and if a person is in a good place, the rational mind might do something very brilliant and creative with some information. But to function at its best a the rational mind needs to be at ease, which means it needs to understand its role. If the rational mind thinks it has to run the whole show and be in charge, it tends go get nervous and confused and spend a lot of time going over and over details and not enough time dreaming and using it's higher creative functions. I think the rational mind works best when it is unburdened. I would extrapolate on the definitions of intuition and add that it is the "ability to see what is". The more we can learn to look clearly at what is there, without rational thought or fore-judgment, the more we will perceive through all of our senses. The rational mind has decisions to make and things to remember in order for us to get through every day. Clear intuition creates a secure world for the rational mind to operate in.
I like that!

#30 of 42 Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 AM

i experienced, for what i think of as the first time in my births, 'intuition' or knowing-what-to-do, (it was amazing) in anatoly's labor. but really, there is nothing mystical about it. signs and signals from my body alerted my brain, i imagine, though i didnt know it at the time. the sense of 'this isnt working, i have to change positions' was probably a result of those signals. what i felt was a strong, sudden knowledge that i needed to hang from that pole in my doorway if i wanted the baby out. it would have had to be a strong thought to overcome the sort of doubt i was having at the time.

if it matters, i am a decidedly irrational person. especially since having children. my emotions are in charge and i have little desire to control them.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page