Help in labor! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seventeen hours of hard labor and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. DP dictating for me through contractions. Don't know if I should go to hospital r not. Is it normal to go this long?
#2 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 12:14 PM

yes relax! first babies take time for your body to adjust!!
#3 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Sorry you're having such a rough time of it. I had 3 days of labor last time, and had my UC with no problems, but I just want to encourage you to go with your gut on this one. If you feel like you NEED to go in, then go. If you think you're ok but its just taking a long time, I would encourage you to just take a deep breath and see if there's anything you can do differently. Have you tried taking a walk (if thats possible for you physically) or changing positions, taking a bath/shower, using a birth ball, getting on all 4s, drinking/eating/etc? I'm sorry, I dont mean to downplay your pain what so ever. I just want to encourage you. You CAN do this!! I'm SOOO excited for you!!!

I know it seems like your body isnt doing anything and labor isnt going anywhere, but it is. Its not always a fast process, but your body, although you cannot see the change, is definitely changing and preparing for the birth of your little one. Sometimes the uterus takes longer than others to prepare.
#4 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 12:17 PM

I didnt realize this was your first pregnancy. Then YES even more so, your body has to take time to ready itself for the baby's journey to you. It can take a long time, but its worth it!! Keep us up to date!!
#5 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 12:23 PM

I have no advise, I just wanted to say : congrats!

It's exciting knowing that someone is actually giving birth right now!
#6 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I guess I need some encouragement. It's far more intense than I ever expected. I've vomited several times. didn't sleep at all last night. I don't know what is normal in these circumstances. thanks again.
#7 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 12:36 PM

Sorry, it's going so hard. But yes, first time birth not pushed artificially at the hospital can take along time. Alternate rest with activity - but formost do what feels right. Have you tried the tub yet? I spent 12 + hours in the tub my first, and I wouldn't have given it up for the world!
#8 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 01:13 PM

Yes, it can be long and hard like that. s If you really look inwards and just listen to yourself and the baby, do you feel that you are both okay? If so, just keep going.

Changing positions can be helpful, because sometimes staying in one position can cause the cervix to dilate a bit unevenly. Don't wear yourself out, but it may be helpful to try a few new positions.

Getting in the birth tub if you have one, or having a warm shower may also help.

Just so you know, during my UC I never had a pushing urge. I waited for a very long time for it to come (7 or so hours after transition). If you think or know you are complete, or think or know you have gone through transition, you may want to try a test push at some point and see how it feels and whether the baby descends. Most women have a natural pushing urge at some point, but not all. Don't rush yourself. This is just something to consider if you are thinking about transferring.

Also, if you do feel you need to tranfer, that is okay too. The important thing is to be aware of your body, your needs, and your intuition and to listen to yourself. Stay calm, breathe, look inward, and allow that sense to help you decide. s and strength to you.
#9 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 01:19 PM

Hang in there mama! My first was UC too, and YES, it took quite a while. I labored for 26 hours, (I know, I know, not a three day labor, but it was long enough for me!!)

If there isn't anything specific to cause you to be concerned (lots of meconium, wierd heart rate for baby, total exhaustion on your part), then length of labor alone isn't really concerning.

TRY to rest. Remember to eat little bits for energy, even just bites of honey or maybe peanut butter on a spoon if you can't keep a bunch down, and stay hydrated! Change of scenery/ fresh air can help you too if you can manage maybe getting outside for a bit?

The vomiting while unpleasant is probably helping you progress, so try to look at the positive

Take care mama!

Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#10 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat View Post
Hang in there mama!
The vomiting while unpleasant is probably helping you progress, so try to look at the positive
: You can do it! Try to stay hydrated and maybe eat a little protein if you can.
#11 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 01:43 PM

Hi,

Hugs to you mama, Congrats on being in labor here is my advice for you

Since your labor is moving very slowly you may have low blood sugar or be dehydrated .Eat something and drink several glasses of diluted fruit juice or best Emergen-C or herbal tea.

Sometimes labor is slowed by tension,either muscular or neverousness, If someone can get to a health food store Oil of celery is a powerful muscle relaxant. The dose to take is 7-10 drops in the glass of water taken between contractions.Sometimes it helps to cry to release tension or like pp said a hot bath or massage, since being in the warm water will help you relax that Kegal muscle. Sometimes you just need to be left alone to concentrate what is happening with your body without worrying about anyone else. This is why a bath tub is a good place to be alone to relax and focus on letting the baby come out...Also water is cleansing to the spirit this is why during birth a bath can help you ground yourself and purify your energy.

take care mama ,

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#12 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 02:18 PM

Oil of celery - neat! I'm all for muscle relaxants - they help me in transition. I'm going to look for that!
#13 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 02:20 PM

It works good too! I used it with my 2nd birth.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#14 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 02:25 PM

Mama, you're doing well! Remember, it could get a lot harder before the baby's born. You'll get through it. The pain is really hard. Keep going! Your baby is almost here..... :

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#15 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 02:35 PM

Be sure you're resting as much as you can, and that you're emptying your bladder and staying hydrated. Also getting electrolytes, sugar and salt to replenish what's been lost, if your'e not eating.

Some labors take a long time. Especially first time labors, where the mother is a little bit nervous and tense because it's a new experience and she doesn't know what to expect. I didn't start dilating until 50 hours into my first labor, and I think it had partly to do with the fact that I was tense and partly to do with the fact that my body was just working up to it slowly. It would have been totally fine if I had just allowed myself to relax about it.

Do you know what position the baby is in? Is the baby engaged?

What do you mean your husband is dictating for you through contractions?

If you intuitively feel that something isn't right, get checked out. If you're so exhausted that you think it's affecting your body's ability to labor well, get help. But no, a long labor in itself isn't indicative of a problem. Other issues -- unbearable pain, bleeding, fresh meconium, etc., might be.
#16 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 02:37 PM

best of birthing to you!

my first birth, from 'can't do anything else' to 'baby out', was about 18 hours.

second birth, was about twenty.

long times don't have to mean anything wrong. both my babies were in great shape.

the only advice i can think of is based on my second birth, everything felt like it just wasn't going quickly enough, like the labor didn't feel 'effective'. i happened to know a great chiropractor who made a house call, and it instantly made all the difference in the world, to receive an in-labor adjustment. maybe this makes it no longer a UC?

if this is a possibility for you, i suggest it.

oh yeah, and i barfed hours before my first was born. just once, but it happened. it's an interesting place, the birthing place.

i'll light a candle for you and your baby's long journey right now. blessed be.
love,
mama Q
#17 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post

What do you mean your husband is dictating for you through contractions?
I think she meant she was dictating to him what to type here...he was typing her questions for her. But now that I re-read it I'm not sure...hmm...
#18 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_organic View Post
I think she meant she was dictating to him what to type here...he was typing her questions for her
yeah, I think she was expaining how she was able to write, while laboring.
#19 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 03:09 PM

I just wanted to send my love and hope you have the birth you intended First labors can be very long, or not, but it is an experience and you have to follow your gut. Try to internally relax all of your tension, rid yourself of fear or worries and listen to what your body is telling you.

Good luck
#20 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 04:19 PM

Sending you lots of love and hugs. I would also suggest taking a nice hot bath or change positions a lot.

One thing that my mw did with me with dd was to soak a maxi pad with hot coffee (as hot as I could take it) and put it on me from the anus to the vagina. It is suppose to loosen things up and help relax down there. I know that it really felt food, and I believe that it helped

Thinking about you. Can't wait to congradulate you!
#21 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 04:24 PM

How's it going, mama?

I was the photographer at the birth of a friend who had long labours. It was her third child, but she was in active labour for darned near a week! I'm not saying it wasn't exhausting or that I don't have a lot of respect and admiration for this amazing woman, but for her it was normal and she and her son were both fine. He was born at home with midwives in attendance and she had an enormous crew of doulas and support people to tag-team and even had a party atmosphere of lot of other kids to play with her older kids in the yard (supervised, of course).

I'm not going to post the length of my own labours on this thread (they're easy enough to find elsewhere) but my favourite was unexpectedly long for a third birth compared to his older sisters' and I did NOT appreciate exy joking about wanting me to hurry up so he wouldn't miss his ball game on the teevee. The longer labour was more comfortable for me and made it easier to stay on top of things and cherish each moment. The child was also more alert and active than his sisters, which might have had something to do with the vaginal muscles having time to clear the fluid out of his lungs and get him ready for life earethside.
#22 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 04:40 PM

The most important thing is what do you think?

Sending you peaceful birthing thoughts.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#23 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 06:06 PM

#24 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 PM

thinking of you! I hope to read an update soon!
#25 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 PM

Sending you positive labor vibes!

Taylor, committed to my Soldier. Lovin' my boys. Gabriel ('05) , Xavier ('07) and Mason ('09). Proud HBAC mama x 2.
#26 of 49 Old 08-10-2007, 10:53 PM

edge of my seat! +++ birthy vibes!! smooth and easy!
#27 of 49 Old 08-11-2007, 09:32 AM

waiting!!!!!!

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#28 of 49 Old 08-11-2007, 10:44 AM

checking in and thinking of great things!
#29 of 49 Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 AM

Hope all is well, anxioulsy awaiting an update!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#30 of 49 Old 08-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Hoping your babe-mooning!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page