We're having a baby! - *UPDATED! SHE'S HERE!* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And it shouldn't be much longer! I've been contracting all night (and sleeping between them) as they come about 10-12 minutes apart. They are INTENSE. Ok, maybe they are coming closer now... at least that one was closer. Anyway, I can feel that baby has moved lower and expect that things should really move along on Sunday. My labors have always seemed to take a while getting to 6 and then they get shorter everytime. The past was about 5 hours from 6 on and that was what I'd consider "hard" labor, but every one is different, so we will see. It has been SO nice to just relax with them and sleep in between and not feel as though I've got people waiting on me since I'm such a slow birther.

: : ::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 09:29 AM

Congratulations! Not being rushed is something I'm really looking forward to with my UC next February (or late January or early March). I actually enjoyed my ten hour labour more than my six hour one, which seemed too fast and frantic for my tastes, and it really annoyed me when exy got impatient and tried to get me to rush things.

I'm so glad you were able to get some sleep in between the ctx and am really looking forward to reading your birth story when you get a chance to write it.

Have a wonderful rest of your labour, birth, and babymoon!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

congratulations! happy birthing and i look forward to reading your updates!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:30 PM

Yay SusieRain! So glad we get to birth together, I'll be thinking about you today! Easy labor vibes to you....
Old 08-12-2007, 02:57 PM

yay! sending you happy birthing vibes!
Old 08-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Old 08-12-2007, 03:51 PM

sending elv

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 08-12-2007, 06:27 PM

duplicate

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 08-13-2007, 01:22 AM

hope to hear a birth announcement soon!

::
Old 08-13-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I am stalled at 5-6 cm. I contracted all through the night resting whenever possible. Contractions have been all over the place time-wise, but VERY intense. I can feel baby's head and the cervix is very stretchy. I have always been a night laborer. So, I anticipate going full force tonight, just as with my daughter - I labored through a night, stalled at 6 for the entire day and had her the following night.

My morale is still good. I just can't wait to hold my babe in my arms!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Ah, my last time I had two nights of prodromal labor before the third full night of labor resulting in a birth!

I'd encourage you not to worry about dilation.

Hope this is the night for you, good thoughts coming your way!

(And stay nourished and rested, right? )
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Thinking beautiful thoughts for you in Indiana!

I had very long labors with both UCs. Best birthing to you this evening!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 PM

Good luck, SusieRain, glad your spirits are good! Can't wait to hear an announcement!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieRain View Post
I am stalled at 5-6 cm. I contracted all through the night resting whenever possible. Contractions have been all over the place time-wise, but VERY intense. I can feel baby's head and the cervix is very stretchy. I have always been a night laborer. So, I anticipate going full force tonight, just as with my daughter - I labored through a night, stalled at 6 for the entire day and had her the following night.

My morale is still good. I just can't wait to hold my babe in my arms!
Wow! How exciting, SusieRain.

Do try to take a naps today in a very dark place (basement or throw heavy blankets over your windows maybe?) It would be great if you can be refreshed and energized when you meet your little one for the first time.

~BV
Old 08-14-2007, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Is this it?

I did manage to rest quite a bit on Monday. I am here now, contracting again. I just got out of the tub. It is too small to move around the way I want to. Contractions are about 5 minutes apart. They like to come on just as I am about to doze. I hope I'm holding a baby in my arms soon.

Just wanted to update you. This board has been a huge encouragement.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 PM

Hope you're doing well, thinking about you!
Old 08-15-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Naomi Ruth was born on August 14, 2007 at 11:10am Mountain Time. She is 19.5 inches long and weighs approx. 7.5lbs. She is my smallest baby! I am working on a birth story. We had some slight complications, and at one point, I was afraid that I might have to transfer, but my wonderful husband saved me. It was a LONG labor and so, I'm pretty much on couch/recliner arrest. Aaron is taking great care of me and the house and children. Naomi is an avid nurser. And, my head is starting to hurt from sitting up so much. That means it is time to lay down, again. I'll post my birth story hopefully later today.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:15 PM

Congratulations! I'm sorry you had some complications, and I hope you're feeling better soon. Glad to hear you have a good nurser!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:16 PM

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:36 PM

Oh my gosh! Sounds like you've got quite a story to tell!

Well, congratulations. And please let me know if I can list your birth on our UC roll call. (Which is here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=529145)
Old 08-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Congratulations! Glad you made it through, and that your DH was so wonderful. I can't believe how much closer and more in love I am now than before the birth, sharing that with DH was just wonderful. Looking forward to your story!!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

You may post this in the roll call, fourlittlebirds. I am thankful for the guidance I got from reading those stories.

I was due by last menstrual period on 7/23/2007. I have always gone "late" and suspected that long cycles contributed to this, so I started charting my temps after my third baby. According to temps, I estimated my due date at 8/3/2007. On Friday, 8/10/2007, I called a midwife/friend of mine and she confirmed what I was feeling - that baby was fine and I should just relax and let him/her come when they are ready. So, I settled in expecting another week of pregnancy since 2 of my babies had been born at 42 weeks or LATE 41 weeks.

In the meantime, I really focused on the intuitions I was getting about the upcoming birth. I was a little concerned by the vibes that I was getting, even though I knew that everything was still okay. I had been drawn to websites/birth stories involving heavy bleeding. I saw this as a sign and educated myself. I also read everything that I could about cords around the neck and what color to expect from the baby at birth. I also read as much as I could about discerning when it was time to push, as planning a UC meant no midwife telling me when I was completely dilated or if I had an anterior lip (which I had in two of my three previous pregnancies). I had other feelings about the upcoming birth, too - it would happen over a thunderstorm, the baby would need stimulation to breathe and would need mucus sucked from his/her nose, etc.

I had been having contractions for WEEKS. But, on Saturday, August 11, 2007, I started having serious ones that required deep breathing. I was shocked by the fact that the contractions came on most when I was lying down trying to nap or rest. I wouldn't have a whole lot of activity while walking, squatting etc, but only when lying down. The contractions continued throughout the evening, through a thunderstorm, and they eased about 5am Sunday. Sunday, I contracted throughout the day, but nothing regular. The contractions were all over the place but VERY intense. Sunday night was the same as Saturday - even the thunderstorm. Monday was spent mostly in bed resting and contracting, resting and contracting... On Monday evening, things got really intense, and yes, there was a thunderstorm. Still, contractions were not regular. Around 2am, I couldn't take the intensity anymore and climbed into the tub. I hung out in there until about 5:30am when the water was no longer helping. Also, the lack of space in the tub was irritating me. I continued to labor in the living room until about 7:30am. At that time, I went into the bedroom and woke my husband to help me work through the contractions. We would sway, squat, he would rub my back, apply pressure to my hips, etc. He was a lifesaver.

Around 8:30am, our three children woke up and Aaron got them settled for a play bath right off of the master bedroom. At this point, he also checked me and determined that I was about 8cm. I had it in my mind that the baby would be born by noon. This transition was the hardest of any labor that I've had. It kept stalling. I would have NO contractions for 10-15 minutes and then get slammed with 2 or 3 right on top of each other. It was awful.

After some time, I was having a feeling an urgency to be done with the labor, but wasn't feeling an urge to push. I was feeling severe hip pain/burning though. (In my first pregnancy/labor, I didn't recognize this as the urge to push until I had transported to the hospital after 28 hours of labor). But something told me that this hip burning feeling this time was NOT the urge to push and I decided that I would work (scream) through some more contractions to allow the baby to move further down.

After some time, I got an irresistible urge to get down on hands and knees and push. I didn't even even mention it to my husband until I felt that the baby was about to crown - this happened FAST. The head crowned and then the head popped RIGHT out. I was on hands and knees and couldn't see, but my husband told me to keep pushing. In a matter of seconds, I believe, the shoulders and rest of the baby came out. (Later, on the video clip, I saw that at this point, I was yelling at my husband that the rest of the baby needed to come out NOW. I intuitively "knew" that there was an issue.) I looked at the face, as my husband unwound the cord from the neck TWICE. I said "it's a boy" because the baby looked a lot like our firstborn son, but my husband said "no, it's a girl!"

Immediately, we turned her over and started rubbing her back with towels and our hands and talking to her - she was purple. Her head & torso pinked up within a few minutes (like 3). It took her toes about a full half an hour to pink up. We also sucked her nose and mouth to clear mucus I started with my mouth and then my husband took over with his mouth. She was VERY congested and even after nursing a bit, she needed more mucus cleared. After about 10 minutes, she finally got some good crying in and I was content with her breathing. I confirmed with my husband that we would call her Naomi.

Finally, it was time to turn our attention to me. I had a sense of urgency to get up and birth the placenta NOW. I was also feeling numbness in my left foot, which I was kind of seated on. After I birthed the placenta into a bowl, my husband helped me move to the bed with Naomi, who was nursing very well. Bleeding was so heavy. We inspected the placenta and thought that it was fine. I started taking black and blue cohosh, shepherd's purse and doing manual massages. I was not feeling the uterus clamp down. I expected that this was due to the long labor that I had endured for three days straight and prelabor contractions for WEEKS. It has been a long time since I had a good night's sleep and life has been very busy for us lately, making me absolutely exhausted at this point. I was still losing a lot of blood and felt the need to urinate. So, my husband helped me to the bathroom and I was able to go with a lot more blood coming out, too. We estimated that I had lost well over a cup by this point and we were starting to get quite concerned, as it wasn't appearing to slow. After some more shepherd's purse and cinammon tinture and cayenne tincture, I still wasn't feeling good clamp down. So, while nursing the baby on one breast,and then I had my 3-year old nurse on the other one and used a hand to rub my uterus hard. I passed quite a few clots (8-10 total with at least 3 being the size of oranges and the rest about the size of a golf ball) but blood was still coming at an uncomfortable rate. We were not very confident with the clamping that I was getting, still. we continued the herbs & manual massage and bleeding went down to a very slow trickle, but it did not subside to "normal" after-bleed until I got a shower and passed one more orange-sized clot. The bleeding all but stopped and so has continued at a very slow rate - perhaps the best after-bleed of any pregnancy. We were so relieved.

For a few hours, I layed in bed and nursed Naomi who filled the sheets with meconium and needed to be cleaned. By this time, it was like 5 hours after she was born. We decided that since the cord was no longer pulsating and considering all we had endured that day, and how meconium stained she was from laying in it while we stabilized my bleeding, we would cut the cord to give her a sponge bath. My husband cleaned her while I snacked in bed.

Today, I am in a lot of pain. My hips, thighs, calves, lower back and arms (from being on hands & knees, presumably) are extremely sore. I have been drinking red raspberry leaf and nettle tea, taking sips of chlorophyll, using homeopathic arnica montana and soverign silver to help rebuild blood supply and limit bleeding. I was also counseled to drink plenty of fluid and LOTS of protein to help rebuild blood supply. I never did get white or show any signs of shock, thankfully. We estimate that I lost about 4 cups total. Later, we did determine that there was a hole in the placenta and that some of the larger clots were actually part of it. I assume that my urgent pushing was because of the cord being around her neck and that the placenta tore for this same reason.

I am thankful that she pinked up as quickly as she did, did not cry when we cut the cord after 5 hours, and that my bleeding is under control.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:08 PM

Wow, that is an awesome story! It's great to read how you followed your intuition all the way through. Get as much rest as possible and I'm sending happy thoughts to you and your family right now!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:47 PM

Congratulations! I am glad everything turned out so well and that you were able to follow your intuition. Enjoy your new baby!
Wendi
Old 08-15-2007, 09:51 PM

congrats!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 PM

Wow, what a great story. I really am fascinated with how you were drawn to learning about certain things that ended up happening during labor, and how you knew you'd labor during thunderstorms.

By the way, I am writing a dissertation chapter about intuition (my PhD dissertation is about UC). Could I quote parts of your story? You can PM if you'd like.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 PM

Congratulations!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:32 AM

Congratulations! Wonderful birth story!

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 AM

That reminds me very much of my UC with the placenta issues and slow to start baby (but not bleeding)! I got chills reading it.

Congrats mama!!!!!! Happy Babymooning (and take it easy!)
Old 08-16-2007, 05:35 AM

Congratulations on your girl! I enjoyed reading your story, thank you for sharing. Very intesnse but very interesting to see how you handled things Yay!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!

User Tag List