Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Unassisted Childbirth (http://www.mothering.com/forum/306-unassisted-childbirth/)
-   -   Healing the perineum (http://www.mothering.com/forum/306-unassisted-childbirth/733062-healing-perineum.html)

dantesmama 08-18-2007 01:04 AM

I recently discovered that when I gave birth last week, my old episiotomy partially opened up. I haven't had any pain, but I'm wondering how this will heal on its own, or if I should have it stitched back up (which I really don't want). Any thoughts / experiences? TIA!

hetaera 08-18-2007 01:58 AM

if its small. I've heard of people using super glue. Hope you get some more advice!

mommyminer 08-18-2007 02:44 AM

Don't really know for sure, but I'm guessing if its been a week, its probably too late for them to suture. I'm guessing this b/c I cut by thumb open when I was a teenager and my parents were out of town. I should have stiches put in it that night, but didn't go to the er. Went to a dr the next day (the wound was gaping open), but he said the skin had already started to heal and it was too late to stich it and it would close on its own.

I guess it would depend on how big the tear was. If it's little and since you aren't having any problems, I'd keep my legs closed as much as possible for several weeks and avoid stairs. I've read about superglue, but if it's too late to suture, it's probably too late to glue (I could totally be wrong about that though).

I've read somewhere some midwives use seaweed to heal tears. You could research that.

Hope someone has some better suggestions

MsBlack 08-18-2007 12:15 PM

you will probably be fine. It's too late for sutures now--but, if you have any problems as time goes on, surgery for repair might be an option later.

I've seen several tears heal naturally. Stay off your butt--minimal sitting for a couple of weeks. You can use comfrey root, sea salt, calendula and lavender flowers together in a strong tea for compresses and/or in a sitz bath. Keep area clean, use your peri bottle when you pee/poop. No lifting or stairs for a couple of weeks. Give it time to air every day--at least while in bed, use a chux to catch your bleeding, no undies or pads or some period each day and/or night.

And kegel! kegel, kegel, kegel. Your yoni might not ever look the same, but will still be normally functional if you use those muscles and keep them toned.

Remain alert for any new pain, or bad smells, or swelling of the area over the next couple of weeks. Be aware that it might take a bit longer than you think for intercourse to be painfree. Not necessarily, but whenever you're ready for that again, go easy at first-- and give it more time to resume penetrating activities if you are still tender at tear.

earthmothergypsy 08-18-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
you will probably be fine. It's too late for sutures now--but, if you have any problems as time goes on, surgery for repair might be an option later.

I've seen several tears heal naturally. Stay off your butt--minimal sitting for a couple of weeks. You can use comfrey root, sea salt, calendula and lavender flowers together in a strong tea for compresses and/or in a sitz bath. Keep area clean, use your peri bottle when you pee/poop. No lifting or stairs for a couple of weeks. Give it time to air every day--at least while in bed, use a chux to catch your bleeding, no undies or pads or some period each day and/or night.

And kegel! kegel, kegel, kegel. Your yoni might not ever look the same, but will still be normally functional if you use those muscles and keep them toned.

Remain alert for any new pain, or bad smells, or swelling of the area over the next couple of weeks. Be aware that it might take a bit longer than you think for intercourse to be painfree. Not necessarily, but whenever you're ready for that again, go easy at first-- and give it more time to resume penetrating activities if you are still tender at tear.
:

mrskennedy 08-18-2007 04:27 PM

Why is it so important not to do stairs if you've torn?

As for the OP, I'd let it heal naturally, even if I could have it stitched. Like PP's have said, just be aware of any problems/concerns/smells/pain/etc.
It can take a while to heal, so be patient and gentle with yourself!

lactivist 08-18-2007 05:06 PM

Keep your legs together and try to avoid reopening it. I had about a 1 1/2 inch tear with my second and it healed up very nicely on its own. I probably tore with my UC but never looked and just kept my legs together. As for the stairs, taking big steps can reopen the wound causing more trauma. If I had to use stairs I would go really slowly and take small steps. It should heal up nicely within about 10-14 days.
Wendi

dantesmama 08-19-2007 03:19 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately, stairs and lifting aren't optional for me with an upstairs apartment, 2 stories and a not-quite-2-year-old, but I've been keeping my legs together, taking it easy, using a peri bottle, etc. The tear seems to be healing pretty well so far - it's certainly not gaping or anything, and there's no redness.

Blech. I could kill my old OB for that episiotomy. It never healed right and sex was painful for about 6 months after - - - all for a 7-lb baby. :