Sharp pain in abdomen- 32 weeks- Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-02-2007, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm at 32 weeks, which I looked up because the pain I've been feeling started very much like the sensation I had with ds3 whose fingernails were very, very long when he was born, and I could feel them distinctly.

This time though, this feeling quickly gave way to excruciating pain in the centre of my belly on top, then middle, then bottom and now anywhere along the midline. Today this has been entirely precipitated by the baby's limbs moving along that midline- otherwise, there is no pain at all.

I read that because my umbilical site is a natural hernia and stretches during pg, the tissue there can become sore. That has been the case since I was pg with ds3, but this is the sort of pain that has me dropping things from my hands, doubling over, feeling dizzy and it is definitely the baby's movement that precedes it. It literally feels like my belly is tearing open. I keep expecting to start bleeding- it's soooooo bad.

To give you an idea of my threshold for pain, I had had nine hours of labour following 4 weeks of prodromal, pg3, and only felt what I would have described as pain during the first hour because I was surprised by the intensity; thereafter it was just intense. THIS is more than intense- it's really painful.

Has anyone experienced this? I thought that maybe my muscles are separated, umbilical site over-stretched and bony baby limbs could explain it, but I would really love to learn that others have had this too and were fine.

Oh, also, I can reduce or stop the pain entirely if when baby starts to move a limb to that 'line' I just sort of squish him/her back gently so that the movement is supported by my hands. Any sudden movements nearly collapse me.

Ugh. Please someone tell me this is okay...

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#2 of 8 Old 09-02-2007, 08:48 AM

If you have an umbilical hernia, then that feeling may be resolved by wearing a support belt, especially when you are on your feet. Sounds like it is the result of pressure being placed on your rectis abdominals--muscles that can separate to a painful degree during pregnancy for any woman, but more often I believe when there is already an umb. hernia. Check out this website--and others may have other ideas on support to help hold the ab muscles together.

http://supports4less.com/cmo/materni...itysupport.htm
#3 of 8 Old 09-02-2007, 12:58 PM

i second MsBlack, and it might also be sprung round ligaments, which caused me EXCRUCIATING pain (gasp, lose all awareness of the world around me, etc) when *I* moved wrong in prev. pgs. I bet a babe could really wonk those around too.

I hope it stops soon! Maybe babe will drop and push in different areas that are less painful.
#4 of 8 Old 09-02-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
Has anyone experienced this? I thought that maybe my muscles are separated, umbilical site over-stretched and bony baby limbs could explain it, but I would really love to learn that others have had this too and were fine.

Oh, also, I can reduce or stop the pain entirely if when baby starts to move a limb to that 'line' I just sort of squish him/her back gently so that the movement is supported by my hands. Any sudden movements nearly collapse me.

Ugh. Please someone tell me this is okay...
well, I can't speak to the amount of pain you are having, but I did last pgcy have a very painful belly button area for several days. It was tender and the pain was sharp at times. I found that taking more potassium helped, as muscles in that area were stretching and tender. I'm finding with this baby
(3rd) the pokes and jabs do actually hurt me more than I ever experienced before. I hope you find a way to get the pain down...try potassium if you aren't taking extra already; it could help.
#5 of 8 Old 09-02-2007, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

It must have been separating muscles because today I haven't had a single incident. For four days prior, things were as I described and it all ended with what felt like a zipper line up my belly, so I am assuming that now that the muscles are torn (if that's the case) I won't be feeling the same pain as before (I hope). I remember learning about this years ago, but don't recall much about it. Have any of you had torn muscles and what did you do pp? Anything?

Ms Black, that belt looks so relieving! This babe is very low and my back is being pulled downward so much that even my skin is visibly drawn from the middle of my back downward. Dh says it looks painful- it is when I've been on my feet all day, which is most days.

Faithwings, potassium deficiency is an interesting possibility; I've had to be mindful of making sure that I have enough salt and protein to balance out the amount of potassium I'm injesting for my adrenal glands, so what has happened is that I no longer eat high potassium foods, although I still do eat fruits and veggies that contain it, just not in high quantities like bananas, raisins and cherries ( I love cherries). I wonder now if I've limited it too much. I'll try re-introducing a small quantity of potassium-rich food for a few days in addition to what I'm eating and see if there's an improvement while not causing adrenal problems for me.

Feebeeglee, I do have some round ligament pain and did last pg too, but that feels very different than this. What do you mean by 'sprung?' Ripped? Ugh. That's sounds really, really terrible!

Thanks ladies!

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#6 of 8 Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 AM

My ligaments were not torn (I don't think) but very definitely injured in some way. I say 'sprung' because it sounds about as painful as it felt.

I noticed I had a noticeable umbilical hernia with Trixie, my last babe. I hope I don't have even more with this one. Sigh. After she was born it took a few months to recover, but it did. I bet your muscles will do the same thing.

This time though. The pubic bone is startin' to ache already. Come on kiddo, give mama a break, it's only halfway through!
#7 of 8 Old 09-03-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebeeglee View Post
I noticed I had a noticeable umbilical hernia with Trixie, my last babe. I hope I don't have even more with this one. Sigh. After she was born it took a few months to recover, but it did. I bet your muscles will do the same thing.
I had only a slight one with my ds3, but this time it is certainly much bigger. It hurt a lot more durng the second trimester than it has since. It felt like every time anythng brushed against it, my internal organs were being touched; now it's not as painful, but still tender. It's probably 2 1/2 inches in diameter- that seems big to me, but I haven't compared it with anyone else's .

Dh and I have been discussing the possibility of having it surgically 'fixed' if it doesn't reduce significantly on its own pp. I am not interested in ever seeing a dr for the rest of my life if I can help it, but I also don't want to live with the pain I had there pp last time that never reduced at all before it just worsened with this pg. I go to a mechanic for work on my van, albeit reluctantly; I guess I might go to a surgeon for my umbilical hernia We'll see. I will do everything possible to help my body do it first, though, of course. I am mostly just entertaining the possibility because it will probably take me at least two years to really be emotionally capable of seeing a surgeon (again) anyway.

#8 of 8 Old 09-04-2007, 02:58 PM

I developed an umbilical hernia with my last pregnancy, right about 36 weeks. The pain was unlike anything I had ever experienced before (and I had a HORRIFIC labor with dd#1, flat on my back, for 31 hours). The mw/ob I was seeing for prenatal care hospitalized me -- they thought it might be a placental issue, but it was "just" the hernia. I had hoped that it would go away after Heidi was born, but I'm still having random, excruciating attacks with increasing frequency. I wanted to avoid a surgical repair, too, but I'll be calling my pcp today to set up a consultation. FYI, laying down and massaging the umbilical area seems to give me the best relief.

Best to you.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page