Anyone that didn't take pregnancy test?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read that a lot of you all didn't/don't take even a home pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy.

With DD, I took one and then the other one in the box cause I was shocked at the + on the first one . Then I took another one (just urine, not blood) at the health dept. to confirm my pregnancy for my medical card that I had on hand in case of a transfer.

Next time, I want to just wait till I feel kicks, or know that I am pregnant cause I have morning sickness or whatever. I don't want any "tests"

One thing I was thinking though was about the birth certificate. With DD, that + health dept. test was my proof of pregnancy. It was the only official paper that I had since dd didn't have a report from a doc or anything from after the birth. So, I wonder what will happen if I go into vital statistics and have absolutely no official proof?

Just wanting your all's thoughts/experiences

::
#2 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 AM

There was some mom here awhile back (before I got pregnant) who didn't take a test (not a UCer)...she just relied on her 18 high temps as proof.

This time around I wasn't going to test but I did so that DH "knew" for sure. I knew but he needed to "see" it. Even if you take a test it won't count as proof UNLESS it's from a health department or dr. office. Looking at my recent/current homebirth worksheet form you have to have EITHER proof of pregnancy OR birth so you could easily skip testing so as long as you were going to have proof of birth.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#3 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 AM

I don't plan to test next time. I knew at about 9 dpo and then I drove myself nuts waiting for the test sensitivity to catch up with me.

Now, in my state, you have three options for proof of pregnancy, and when I had ds (mw-attended hb, but midwifery is sort of alegal here, so I basically told them 'I don't have a midwife' when I filed) I used the "personal prenatal record" and then signed affadavits from dh and my friend who was present, and that was basically it. I'd check into the requirements for your state and see if you can find anyone who has had a UC or even a mw-attended hb and see what they had to have/do/et cetera.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#4 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

right now, we're not planning on testing, but i'm not against testing.

honestly, we feel/think that we're pregnant, but we'll know for certain in a week or two (skipped period, i guess). i don't know how we'd get 'proof of birth' without an attendant, so i guess i'll go over to the family doctor to get a proof of pregnancy test when i feel like it.
#5 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 AM

I don't think I will test ever again but that is the space I am in

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#6 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 AM

I am not planning to UC. I do know of a woman (online) who has had about three UBACs and I think she doesn't test anymore because I saw a post about her having 18 temps above the coverline and that was how she knew she was pregnant again.
#7 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 11:47 AM

I wasn't going to take a test but I was so sick.. I thought I make sure I'm pg or something is really wrong with me.. SO i took the test and knew that the sickness I had was from the pregnancy..
#8 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 12:59 PM

No test this time for me!!! We just decided to wait and had a baby bump already by 6 weeks, no period. Got nausea from 8-12 weeks and that pretty much confirmed it. I am now approx. 35 weeks and oh I am for sure pregnant! I don't even know the date of my last period either. I am being way rebellious this time!
This is an entirely unassisted pregnancy as well.
#9 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
right now, we're not planning on testing, but i'm not against testing.

honestly, we feel/think that we're pregnant, but we'll know for certain in a week or two (skipped period, i guess). i don't know how we'd get 'proof of birth' without an attendant, so i guess i'll go over to the family doctor to get a proof of pregnancy test when i feel like it.
One of my acceptable proofs of birth (for my state) is any medical records for the baby by a dr., midwife, or public health nurse. You could always take the babe into the family doc you would use for the proof of pregnancy and get a quick once over.

Give more**Expect Less
#10 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 02:24 PM

I didn't test at all for my first two but I did 5 POAS tests to convince my DH about the last one.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#11 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Here they want proof of pregnancy and proof of baby. One option they'll accept besides medical records is a picture of you giving birth.
#12 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Banned

i hate that doc, though. i'd rather go in and pee on a stick for the nurse than take my baby to that a-hole.
#13 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 04:29 PM

a picture of you giving birth? wtf? lol.

i may be brain dead from all the nursing i've done, but i dont think i needed proof of pregnancy in my state for the certificate. just the notarized certificate filled out with one witness besides me and dh. i did, however, use a test from the health department to qualify for medicaid. i dont think they would have cooperated with me any other way. but if you arent using insurance of any kind i then only the certificate laws for your state matter.

when i found out i was pg with #3 i called asap to the main state office for vital records and asked all the questions regarding homebirth/ uc and getting a BC. they even sent the papers right away so i had them ready in my birth kit.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#14 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 05:20 PM

If you are just going to wait until you know for sure you are preggo, you could wait until after that to get your "Proof of Pregnancy" test from the clinic/doc is it required in your state.

Personally I think ya'll must have the patience of a saint to wait to know! I could tell by 7 DPO (triphasic temp) but I still was dying to see those 2 lines come up. Fortunetly I got a + at 9 DPO, but I was still taking tests because I was so happy to see those lines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Here they want proof of pregnancy and proof of baby. One option they'll accept besides medical records is a picture of you giving birth.
Good to know-I'll be having a UC in S. KY. I'll show 'em the whole birth video if they need "proof" of birth, lol!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#15 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
...One thing I was thinking though was about the birth certificate. With DD, that + health dept. test was my proof of pregnancy. It was the only official paper that I had since dd didn't have a report from a doc or anything from after the birth. So, I wonder what will happen if I go into vital statistics and have absolutely no official proof?
It depends on where you live. Michigan doesn't need documentation for proof of pregnancy. You walk into the county clerks office (or a few municipalities) with a baby, fill out the registration application, sign it and your birth is registered. If you want a certified copy of the original you have to pay a few dollars. That's it. They figure having a baby is good enough proof of a prior pregnancy.

Some states (FL and esp AZ) are terrible sticklers about documentation for non-attended births. It's good to find out local requirements before hand so you're not stuck with nasty bureaucratic hurdles after the baby's born.

I've not tested most my pregnancies. I figured as I already knew my ovulation dates and conception dates, there was no point in paying for a test that would give me less information than I already possessed. In two of those pregnancies I did take a test anyway at Planned Parenthood. Their documentation of pregnancy was what I need to get on Medicaid and get chiropractic and vision coverage.

~BV
#16 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 PM

I didn't test this last time. Here you just need affidavits from two people swearing that you gave birth.
#17 of 24 Old 09-18-2007, 11:29 PM

I wasn't going to test. I totally knew this time (well, and the other two times also). But I knew that dh was going to need "proof". Otherwise he would have thought it was a mean joke I was playing on him (can you tell he didn't want a third?)
#18 of 24 Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

KY doesn't know what they are doing

They told me I had to take dd to doc for proof of birth and i said how are they going to know it i birthed her???? THey weren't there. Finally, after a major runaround and me telling them that I was not taking dd to a doctor, they decided that all i needed was 2 signed and notarized afficavits (one by me and one by dh) and my proof of pregnancy from the health dept, and a piece of mail with my name and address on it.

I wonder if whoever told you that about the picture was being rude or sarcastic. I talked w/ Frankfort and the local vital statistics and that never came up. Maybe they are trying to make an official plan or something cause they sure were clueless when i dealt w/ them. Oh well, at least dd got her certificate. That was what i was wondering about next time if they'd freak if i didn't have a "real" proof of pregnancy or birth.

::
#19 of 24 Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 AM

I did take a pregnancy test with my UP, because I was dying to know (at 12 dpo). But I got a BC in KY without any medical records for me or baby. All I needed was a letter from my mom saying she witnessed the birth (she actually came into the room as I was lifting the baby up, but hey ). I talked to someone in Frankfort too since the people in Louisville had no idea what they were talking about. The woman at the Louisville health dept. took down my phone number because she was sure I'd have to come back and provide more evidence, after I turned in the completed BC and (notarized) letter from my mom. They never called, though, and the SS # and BC went through fine.
#20 of 24 Old 09-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned

oh, don't freak me out! i'm 12 DPO! LOL i don't want to know that tests work this early. i'm waiting on the missed period thing. LOL

(i'm getting antsy to know now. i mean, you know, since yesterday and today, i'm like--oh oh oh am i? am i? could i be, really? ha!)

i need to calm down.
#21 of 24 Old 09-19-2007, 03:33 PM

It was only a dollar store test, too! :
#22 of 24 Old 09-19-2007, 03:45 PM

The picture is a valid item of proof. I was told I could do those or even video if we had too.

Give more**Expect Less
#23 of 24 Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM

For my pg after dd#2 was born, I didn't test and miscarried...and because I didn't test, medically "they" don't count that as a miscarriage b/c there wasn't ever any proof of the pg.

So, I POAS for the next pg and it miscarried...

And I POAS for this pg and am in the process of miscarrying...

So, the only benefit in my case is that now I have two documented m/c and now can demand some testing into causes, which I suspect being hormonal. Even after my m/c of the twins, they wouldn't test b/c is was only my first "confirmed m/c". Bullsh!t!!!
#24 of 24 Old 09-19-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
There was some mom here awhile back (before I got pregnant) who didn't take a test (not a UCer)...she just relied on her 18 high temps as proof.
That definitely wouldn't work for me...I regularly have 17-18 day LP's. Plus, after so long TTC, there have been lots of cycles where I've "just known" that haven't been true. LOL Ha...and last night I took HPT #...umm...nearly 20-something since my first BFP! After having 2 msicarriages before a healthy term pregnancy, those darkening lines mean a lot to me.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page