Anyone have an outdoor birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife is due in May, and this being New England, it could be dicey (i.e. 50 deg or 80 deg). If she was due 6 weeks later, we'd definetely do an outdoor birth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 PM

i've always wanted an outdoor birth, but i am due the end of December, and here in Nebraska, an outdoor birth would just not be ideal

If I ever have another late spring or summer or early fall baby, i will definatlety consider it.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#3 of 27 Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 PM

I'd LOVE to have had an outdoor birth but my boys were born in January and December! If I have a third, it'll be in the spring or summer and I would love to birth outdoors.
#4 of 27 Old 09-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

i also want an outdoor birth, but i don't know if that's feasable. if i'm pregnant now, i guess i'd be due in early june or so, and it would likely be warm enough so no issue there, but where would i birth? i live in a condo with no yard. we could rent a cabin somewhere, assuming we can afford it. that would be a preference.

anyway. . . i would love to.
#5 of 27 Old 09-19-2007, 04:29 PM

I uc'ed my dd 11 yrs ago in a two-person tent, pretty much outside. I bent the tent pole from holding onto it! I had very little stuff and was on the move, I really enjoyed being able to hear, see and smell the outdoors. I would have liked to birth my son outdoors but it was December, tho not that cold but I couldn't face leaving the van we were living in as it was just rocks outside so I had him in the van.
#6 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM

I was born outside. My mom delivered me on a platform/bed my dad built outside the bus they called home. Birthing outside feels right to me. I have yet to do it though, and this baby is due early winter. Burrr. I'm not sure how to work it, maybe plan a summer baby next.
#7 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 PM

I have heard of people birthing in hotsprings. I think that would be awesome. I had winter babies, besides I don't know what our neighbours would have thought. People freak out about UC imagine if we did it outside. : I think it would be great, Just not doable for everyone

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#8 of 27 Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 PM

My son was born on a cold December day in PA.

If our next babe is born during good weather, we'll be outside, I imagine.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#9 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 PM

Wow! What a cool idea. Why did it never occur to me to birth outdoors? I'll be having this baby in mid to late May, so the weather would be perfect, and we'll be living in our new house which is on 4.5 acres. So it might really be possible. I've actually not really been able to find a room in the new house that feels like *the place* for the birth. Maybe outdoors is the answer.
#10 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 08:03 PM

I thought about how awesome it would be to give birth on the beach in front of the pacific ocean, just listening to those huge waves crashing up against the shore. Ahhh, too bad I really like holing up in my "nest" for birth, or I'd probably get dh to drive us all to the beach for the day my baby is born!

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#11 of 27 Old 09-22-2007, 10:13 AM

Both my children were born indoors, but I am definitely considering having the next one outdoors. My in-laws have 120 acres and were supportive of our UC choices. My DH and I have discussed the possibility of having the baby outside on "the land." It would, of course, depend on the weather, but I think it would be really neat.

We had a nice outdoor wedding on "the land," so I think it would be sort of sweet and romantic to have an outdoor birth. The land is far enough out from town that it would be very safe and peaceful feeling--I love spending time there. After I started thinking about future births, I was a little surprised that I hadn't thought of it before, either!
#12 of 27 Old 09-22-2007, 01:37 PM

I didn't UC, but my HBAC was outdoors. We have an atrium in the center of our house and that is where we set up the birth pool. It was wonderful.
#13 of 27 Old 09-30-2007, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My best friend had or at least labored with 2 or 3 of her children in a hot tub outdoors and loved it! One was born on Easter morn under a blossoming tree in the hot tub-very special. And yes the neighbors heard... lol giving them a heads up on the possibility of an outdoor birth is probably a good idea if they're w/in hearing range of a laboring mama.
Good luck in finding the "perfect" place to birth!
Chelsie

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#14 of 27 Old 09-30-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenab00 View Post
i've always wanted an outdoor birth, but i am due the end of December, and here in Nebraska, an outdoor birth would just not be ideal

If I ever have another late spring or summer or early fall baby, i will definatlety consider it.
I told DH if we weren't due in Dec and had the ability we would be planning a UC and just rent a cabin at Niobrara SP for the two weeks surrounding my due date so I could have the baby on the screened deck overlooking the Niobrara River. : That has to be my dream birthing place!
#15 of 27 Old 09-30-2007, 03:50 AM

I keep seeing our next baby being born in our backyard, so I am guessing an outside birth is in our future! I know the next baby wants to be born in May/June so it will be warm enough!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#16 of 27 Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 PM

My last one was born in between two blizzards, so outdoors was out of the question. This one is due the end of May/early June, so I'm thinking about it.

The beach sounds nice but I'd be afraid of doing it at a public beach, someone might call an ambulance or something! Also, water birth outside at that time of the year would be too cold. In fact, it's hard to guarantee it would be warm enough anyway. I'm sure I will do some labouring outside, since I did with my last (early on we went for a walk in the snow)
#17 of 27 Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 PM

I love the idea and have considered it, but I worry about being bothered by neighbors and have no desire to share the news I am in labor with them.
#18 of 27 Old 10-01-2007, 10:47 PM
DBZ

I recently told someone that I would love to give birth outside and she thought I was nuts and she is a homebirther! At least there are like minded people here for that one. I'm due in March though. I'm toying with the idea of UC for this baby...not sure though.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#19 of 27 Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

my dream birth is an outdoor birth.
#20 of 27 Old 10-02-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesper0 View Post
I love the idea and have considered it, but I worry about being bothered by neighbors and have no desire to share the news I am in labor with them.

Yes, that would put a damper on things. We live out in the country but I'm sure my neighbors could possibly hear me. Last birth I was quiet- completely quiet- until crowning, then I had to ROAR to get him out. Sounded like a lion. It took a tremendous amount of pushing and I had to vocalize behind it.

I think it would be great to give birth outside, if I felt secure enough. If I was in a hot tub I would feel more secure than laying out in the open (although that would be pretty- but I doubt I'd notice much at the time!)

I did like the fact that all the lights were off for our birth (inside, in a fishy pool) and it just seemed right. If it was overly sunny outside it might not be as gentle a birth as dim light.

Outside would be possible at night though! All the neighbors would be asleep. Unless the dogs started barking! LOL
#21 of 27 Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 AM

My second was born outside on a beautiful summer morning. I was so exhausted and getting discouraged when a cold wind came off the mountain and reenergized me for the final few pushes.
This time I am due at the end of November, but I keep on eyeballing my back yard trying to figure out how to make it work.
#22 of 27 Old 10-10-2007, 04:18 AM

Birthing in a hot spring would be awesome! Other than that, I prefer a small, dark cozy space.

I once had a friend who birthed in a tent at a rainbow gathering. someone was beating the drums, and she had a traditional midwife. The way she described it, it must gave been awesome.
#23 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 AM

I've never had an outdoor birth, but the idea is wonderful (unfortunately not feasible for me. Lack of privacy issue). Anyway, I thought you might enjoy this story. It is simply beautiful.

http://rachyllgyne.tripod.com/thebir...alt/index.html
#24 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 01:02 PM

My outdoor birth was just not meant to be

It was a beautiful day, clear, high pressure, early June, about 80F....

My pool was set up on our back porch, I had hung sheets on the clothesline & the porch rail for privacy, the water was warm, labor was moving right along...everything was perfect.

Our house obscured the view to the west, so we didn't realize the thunderstorm was upon us until the first raindrop fell. Dh asked what I wanted to do. I felt for my baby's head. It was about two knuckles in. I said "I'll stick it out."

No sooner than I'd said that, thunder crashed right overhead. I said "I'm going in! Hold the door!"

Dh piled our towels on the bathroom floor and put my drink on the counter.

A few minutes later my baby boy slipped out into my hands as a thunderstorm boomed outside.

I wasn't super committed to a waterbirth anyway. I'd only bought the supplies the day before. I was not at all disappointed in my birth, even though it turned out to be very different in the end.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#25 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 01:24 PM

Birthing in a thunderstorm sounds really cool! Do you think that has affected your son's personality at all?
#26 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 10:23 PM

I like the idea of an outdoor birth, but I hate too many things about being outside LOL! Bees, wasps, spiders, mud, creepy-crawly anything. My dad lives way out in the country, but the neighbors on both sides are at least 1000ft away- too close, and especially the one lady, she would FLIP and call the cops. I labored outside with both my kids though. DH and I just kept walking around the block until I couldn't take it anymore.
#27 of 27 Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post
Birthing in a thunderstorm sounds really cool! Do you think that has affected your son's personality at all?
I think it's very much in keeping with who he is and the story of his life thus far. The storm wasn't so much an influence; it was more of a theatrical effect.

It seems like he maintains an inner sense of calm, even when the world around him is in turmoil. He's always been like that, even before his birth.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page