Earliest you would UC at? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 10-06-2007, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
From 28 weeks on, a baby's chance of survival with treatment is really good. So I would have probably gone in at that point. Probably. That was the most stressful part of my pregnancy, because of knowing that if labor did come for some reason, I would need to go in to the hospital. Again, it all would depend primarily on what my gut was telling me, but up til about that point, I would still UC and say goodbye at home. The idea of having a micropremie breaks my heart in so many ways. I'm not sure I would do that. Fortunately I have late babies, not early, so I never had to deal with it (late based on the ridiculous method for determining due dates anyway; for me, right on time).

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this. A baby born at 28 could possibly survive with help. In my personal opinion, having to go to the hospital is better than my baby passing away. (and I am a homebirther)

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#32 of 41 Old 10-06-2007, 08:21 AM

Natural Mommy--

Are you misunderstanding Sublime birth girl? I think she is saying that as of 28wks, she WOULD get medical birth care--because that's when it would most likely be helpful. I think she is saying that BEFORE 28wks, she would birth at home and let her baby go peacefully, rather than subject it to medical care with all that that entails and such a small chance of survival.
#33 of 41 Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
Natural Mommy--

Are you misunderstanding Sublime birth girl? I think she is saying that as of 28wks, she WOULD get medical birth care--because that's when it would most likely be helpful. I think she is saying that BEFORE 28wks, she would birth at home and let her baby go peacefully, rather than subject it to medical care with all that that entails and such a small chance of survival.
BUT...there is a decent chance of survival before that as well. The youngest gestational age baby to survive was only 22 weeks and something gestation (I think it was 22 and 6...). I would say I feel the same as SublimeBirthGirl, but I would make my range more like 22-35, or so, depending on my feelings and the situation.

Marissa wife to Michael
mommy to Lorien 10/17/07 and Cyprian 6/5/10
#34 of 41 Old 10-13-2007, 05:00 PM

Kaylee was my little girl . Her death was not related to her birth . I am grateful for her 23 days with me. It is also important to me that others respect my privacy while I grieve . I do not mind others reading her story just please don't use her whole name as it pulls up with her funeral arrangements online causing my family pain. Thanks
#35 of 41 Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphia View Post
T I really expect that this baby would be bigger, but I can't imagine how much bigger. I guess I would see how I felt at 35 weeks and then perhaps transfer if the baby was having problems. I think it's a good question but I think everyone is so different, so you have to take your own feelings as the most important part of the decision.
It is important to remember that size alone is not the only reliable indicator of maturity. I had a 4 pound, 33 week baby that ws breathing on her own at birth (I did have steroid shots before her birth though) and my closest friend had a 6 pound, 34 week baby that was not breathing and was intubated at birth and remained on ventilation for a couple of weeks.
#36 of 41 Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2beme23 View Post
Kaylee was my little girl . Her death was not related to her birth . I am grateful for her 23 days with me. It is also important to me that others respect my privacy while I grieve . I do not mind others reading her story just please don't use her whole name as it pulls up with her funeral arrangements online causing my family pain. Thanks
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss mama. Thank you for letting us all know.
#37 of 41 Old 10-15-2007, 10:54 AM

My babies came at 42 wks, 39 wks (induced), 40-ish wks (lost track ) and 41+wks, so I'm grateful that an early babe hasn't been a big issue for me. I'd say given all the myriad of factors, I can't pinpoint at what week would be at my comfort level, but I think I'd be comfortable with 34 wks at the earliest on my own. I'd actually probably UC at home regardless of gestation, unless my gut told me otherwise, and then take it from there.

Sorry that was about as clear as a politician's answer
#38 of 41 Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 AM

DD1 was induced at 42 and dd2 was born at 37...so never had any reallly early babes...but I feel comfortable right now at 36, even though it is not officially legal here until 38. If baby came earlier I am not sure how much earlier I would comfortably uc....I might be tempted to do as a pp said, uc and then transfer post birth.

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#39 of 41 Old 10-20-2007, 01:05 AM

Just based on my previous pregnancies/births: before 34 weeks I would probably go in to the hospital... but that's not a given. Between 34 and 36-37 weeks I would absolutely play it by ear and go with whatever my gut was telling me. Obviously after that I wouldn't feel any worry about dates.

Honestly, if my gut at 33 weeks was saying all was fine, or at 40 weeks was saying it wasn't... I'd go with that over any number.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#40 of 41 Old 10-22-2007, 01:49 AM

Here are stats on preemie survival rates:

21 weeks or less: 0% survival rate

22 weeks: 0-10% survival rate

23 weeks: 10-35% survival rate

24 weeks: 40-70% survival rate

25 weeks: 50-80% survival rate

26 weeks: 80-90% survival rate

27 weeks: greater than 90% survival rate

My friend had twins at 26 weeks, both of whom are happy preschoolers now who are on-target developmentally. Her son has had some issues with his eyes and wears glasses, and had a fontanelle close early, but otherwise they are both doing very well. they had NICU stays of about 12 weeks, and she pumped bm for both of them for months.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

#41 of 41 Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2beme23 View Post

I am so sorry for your loss. I will pray for you and your daughter.

Take care

Huge Hugs!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page