Earliest you would UC at? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A lady I know who is very pro- UC (her daughter was a UC birth) said she would have a baby at home as early as 32 weeks gestation. Here reasoning which maked a lot of sense is that otherwise the baby is taken from mama and put in an incubator. Being seperated from the person they need most. If you were at home you could just stay in bed with them on your chest- skin to skin.

But is this taking to big a risk. Can a baby at 32-33 weeks breathe fine on their own? What about suckling and/or other issues?

I am really thinking about this since I am curious but also because I am 33 1/2 weeks pregnant and sometimes I get the strong feeling this baby will be here early. I will stay home if it is 36+ weeks but I just don't know what I think of younger then this.

What are your thoughts? What is the youngest you would UC or even have a homebirth for? Why?
#2 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 AM

This topic seems to come up every 3 months or so. Have you tried to search the earlier entries for it?

I do believe the average ended up being around 35 weeks for homebirth and most agreed birthing at home best and transferring in for the baby next, unless mamma intuited the hospital was needed earlier than that...

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#3 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 11:42 AM

for me, it would totally depend on what i was feeling at the time i went into labor. If i felt wrong about UCing, i would go in.
while in nursing school, i did see some 32-33 weekers that were ok at birth, just needed to learn how to suck, and to get bigger, but i also saw some that couldnt breathe on their own at all, i saw babies as late as 35 weeks with breathing problems, its really touch and go. Babies develop at different rates. Its not an exact sceince.
I think i would stay home past 35 weeks, unless i felt otherwise. But i would have to go on my feeling at the time.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#4 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

I don't *I* would feel comfortable that early, but I can't say for sure, as I've never been in that situation. My second son was born at 36 weeks and was small, but otherwise very healthy. I wouldn't hesitate to birth a 35-36 week baby UC.
#5 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 AM

I'd have to do a gut-check but probably 35 weeks for me. I'd stay home before 28, and after 35. 28-35 I'd probably go in.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#6 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 PM

For me its 36 wks. Just from the research I've done, most babes at 36 wks do very well and I would not feel like I was putting my baby in jeapordy giving birth that early at home. Prior to that, I would go to the hospital, specifically to see if they could stop labor more than anything. My niece is very premature having been born around 25 wks and I cant imagine having to go through all of what she has gone through in her very short little life. She's beautiful and most likely will be fine eventually, but has had surgeries and almost a year in the NICU already at less than 2 yrs old. Its a personal decision though, and I respect mommas who have different opinions and have made other choices.

I would go to the hospital after 12 wks and prior to 36...maybe 37 depending on how I felt. I dont set anything in stone though because for me its a "how do I feel/how comfortable am I at this moment" kind of thing. Even at term, I always leave it up to my intuition in the end as to where I am birthing.
#7 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 01:33 PM

I thought it best to remove this post, considering the circumstances.
#8 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Laura, thanks so much for sharing that story! I am in tears, it was just so beautiful and inspiring!!!

Crunchy, Christ-lovin' mama to dd13, ds8, dd6, dd5, ds3  homeschool.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.gifuc.jpg

#9 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 05:29 PM

i would uc no matter how far along i was unless my gut was telling me otherwise. i would just transfer (if need be) with baby AFTER the birth. i've had too many bad hosp experiences (none involving birth, but m/c's) to expose myself to *those* types of interventions. i can only speak for myself though, it's up to the individual mama.

thanks laura for the beautiful story!
#10 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 06:27 PM

I think it also makes a big difference for what is normal "for you". I know women who have spontaneous labors at 36 to 37 weeks birthing perfectly healthy babies needing no interventions. My spontaneous labors have averaged 43 weeks. I can't imagine birthing OOH before 37 weeks *but* I wouldn't blink at the thought of my early birthing friends UCing at 34 weeks.

I think it's prudent to consider when women in the mother's family went into spontaneous labor as well as the gender of the fetus. IIRC baby girls' lungs mature early than baby boys' lungs. Did I get that one right?

~BV
#11 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnemlv View Post
This topic seems to come up every 3 months or so. Have you tried to search the earlier entries for it?

I do believe the average ended up being around 35 weeks for homebirth and most agreed birthing at home best and transferring in for the baby next, unless mamma intuited the hospital was needed earlier than that...
No , I haven't but I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

Laura, what a beautiful story. Thanks a lot.
#12 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenab00 View Post
for me, it would totally depend on what i was feeling at the time i went into labor. If i felt wrong about UCing, i would go in.
while in nursing school, i did see some 32-33 weekers that were ok at birth, just needed to learn how to suck, and to get bigger, but i also saw some that couldnt breathe on their own at all, i saw babies as late as 35 weeks with breathing problems, its really touch and go. Babies develop at different rates. Its not an exact sceince.
I think i would stay home past 35 weeks, unless i felt otherwise. But i would have to go on my feeling at the time.
: me too.

Thanks for sharing that story here, Laura!
#13 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
I'd have to do a gut-check but probably 35 weeks for me. I'd stay home before 28, and after 35. 28-35 I'd probably go in.
Why would you stay home before 28 weeks? Just curious...

I was born at about 28 wks myself, but was in the NICU for a while and who knows what they did there. I was adopted then, so we have no records of anything. But wouldn't a 28-wk babe be better off with some sort of... intervention? Or not... I wouldn't know...
The only thing "wrong" with me is that I'm blind, but that was proven to be the hosp's/drs' fault. (DAMN!) But I was like a vegetable until 11 months old, too.
#14 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 10:21 PM

It seems most agree that 35 weeks is the earliest though most would prefer 36-37 weeks. Keep in mind this can get to be a heated topic (I'm sure you've figured it out from reading the other threads on it) so if it gets off topic you'll know why.

For me it would depend on if I knew gender (lung maturity happens sooner in girls than boys), if I knew my dates (without a doubt or a maybe on this date type thinking), and how I was feeling. Ultimately, as is the case with most UCers, it comes down to how I was feeling at the time. There is a time frame on both ends of the spectrum when I would stay home. There is a time frame where I know I would go in (in between the two ends of the spectrum). Those can change at any given moment.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#15 of 41 Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Why would you stay home before 28 weeks? Just curious...

I was born at about 28 wks myself, but was in the NICU for a while and who knows what they did there. I was adopted then, so we have no records of anything. But wouldn't a 28-wk babe be better off with some sort of... intervention? Or not... I wouldn't know...
The only thing "wrong" with me is that I'm blind, but that was proven to be the hosp's/drs' fault. (DAMN!) But I was like a vegetable until 11 months old, too.
From 28 weeks on, a baby's chance of survival with treatment is really good. So I would have probably gone in at that point. Probably. That was the most stressful part of my pregnancy, because of knowing that if labor did come for some reason, I would need to go in to the hospital. Again, it all would depend primarily on what my gut was telling me, but up til about that point, I would still UC and say goodbye at home. The idea of having a micropremie breaks my heart in so many ways. I'm not sure I would do that. Fortunately I have late babies, not early, so I never had to deal with it (late based on the ridiculous method for determining due dates anyway; for me, right on time).

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#16 of 41 Old 10-03-2007, 05:12 AM

The premie baby in the above story just died a few days ago. Not sure if it was premie related or not.

My goal was 36 wk and after that it would be OK for me.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#17 of 41 Old 10-03-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
The premie baby in the above story just died a few days ago. Not sure if it was premie related or not.
Praying and sending healing energies for the mama!
#18 of 41 Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
From 28 weeks on, a baby's chance of survival with treatment is really good. So I would have probably gone in at that point. Probably. That was the most stressful part of my pregnancy, because of knowing that if labor did come for some reason, I would need to go in to the hospital. Again, it all would depend primarily on what my gut was telling me, but up til about that point, I would still UC and say goodbye at home. The idea of having a micropremie breaks my heart in so many ways. I'm not sure I would do that. Fortunately I have late babies, not early, so I never had to deal with it (late based on the ridiculous method for determining due dates anyway; for me, right on time).
Thanks for sharing, SublimeBirthGirl. I have to agree with your reasoning too.
#19 of 41 Old 10-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Oh that is so very sad. Her baby was born the same day as mine. My heart just breaks for her.

Wendi
#20 of 41 Old 10-03-2007, 05:49 PM

i haven't read any of the previous threads on this matter, but I wanted to chime in as well. My first was "delivered" at 19 weeks. After that, and many other interventions, my second was born at 33w5d. I've done the preemie thing and i know what my body does. My third was born at 37w also after much intervention. It was terrible knowing that my local hospital didn't believe in Kangaroo care, so I did all sorts of research and other stuff to not have a preemie.

With my fourth, I chose a supportive midwife and we discussed both of our comfort levels. She didn't say that she had a "cut-off" time. She allowed me to make the decision and and that call. *I* feel comfortable catching a 35 weeker at home. I knew all of the hospitals within about an hour of us and had made the decision if I needed to have a preemie, which one I would "deliver" in. That baby ended up being 41w1d with absolutely NO medical intervention. she also had a birth defect which I believe would have killed her had she been born in the hospital with their policies.

I still feel that, for me, 35 weeks is that magic number. But, in agreeing with others here, everything is null and void if mom has a "feeling". We are given intuition for a reason.

warmly,

belcantomom
#21 of 41 Old 10-03-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Oh goodness! How terrible! Prayers for that family!!!

Crunchy, Christ-lovin' mama to dd13, ds8, dd6, dd5, ds3  homeschool.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.gifuc.jpg

#22 of 41 Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 PM

It's definitely going to be 36 weeks for me, no earlier than that. I sure hope baby does not come early. I'm doing UP as well and don't want to have to explain to the hospital here why I don't have a doctor.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#23 of 41 Old 10-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenab00 View Post
for me, it would totally depend on what i was feeling at the time i went into labor.
Exactly. For now, I think I'll say that I would go in before 35 weeks. But, it really depends on what my intuition is telling me at the time.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#24 of 41 Old 10-03-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
#25 of 41 Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
baby Kaylee

She was over 3 weeks old and had seen a family practitioner for a well-baby visit (FP assessed her as perfectly healthy). It sounds more like SIDS than anything premie-related.

My heart goes out to her family.
#26 of 41 Old 10-04-2007, 07:59 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I've read that often babies that have congenital problems are born early. It's basically a spontaneous "abortion," although it may occur late in the pregnancy. This is what I believe happened with the baby I lost. I don't know if Kaylee had congenital problems, but it sounds like there was nothing that could be done. I'm sure her short life was wonderful. She was born and died in peace, and was very much loved by her family.
Laura
#27 of 41 Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 PM

That's so sad that the baby died. I don't know when I would feel comfortable giving birth. My first came spontaneously at 40w3d so I was really close to my due date. But at the same time, she was only 6 lb. 2 oz., which I felt was really small. I had terrible m/s the entire pregnancy.

This time I haven't been sick more than 4 times and eat so much better. I really expect that this baby would be bigger, but I can't imagine how much bigger. I guess I would see how I felt at 35 weeks and then perhaps transfer if the baby was having problems. I think it's a good question but I think everyone is so different, so you have to take your own feelings as the most important part of the decision.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#28 of 41 Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:

It sounds like maybe she could have been sick - such a small placenta for a big premie, that doesn't sound right to me (having seen lots of placentas and lots of babies). That could be why she came early too.

Gosh, that is horribly sad - I would be crushed - but may she be safe and healthy now...

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#29 of 41 Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 PM

Sweet baby Kaylee.
My prayers are with Keisha and her family.
#30 of 41 Old 10-05-2007, 04:12 AM

oh, how sad about Kaylee

::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page