Should newborns wear hats? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 10-10-2007, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Oh yeah! One thing I do remember is that hats interfere with the birth bubble/bonding/natural process and dont help with temp either.
It's so sad that in hospitals, so often the first thing they do is stick a hat over the head, THEN hand the baby to mama. Mom's are supposed to be able to smell their babies- it's actually a huge part of the bonding process, and cleaning the baby up and putting a hat on, THEN letting mom hold him, interferes with that.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#32 of 48 Old 10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

i know that this is so random, but it reminded me. . .

i was thinking about how going out and coming in are similar. when we are elders and in the process of dying, we cannot regulate body temperature easily. when we are babies, it is also difficult.

my october j rabbit--he would release heat through the ears. that's how you know, with rabbits. on his last day, i held him all morning and afternoon (a short two hour break in between when a friend watched him). he was skin to skin, blanket, heating pad, and i held his ears. he died later that day. . .and i just kept feeling his ears get colder and colder.

anyway, it was really beautiful, to be that close to him all the way. just to have him in my arms so close. i was keeping him as warm as i could, the whole time, and the best and only thing that i could think of was using my warm body.

and he was so snuggled up and happy.

i think that when i think about a baby, i also think about holding him/her close to my body to give him/her my warmth as part of that process. i see the bonding that comes with holding, with touching, with the gentle talking, the smell.

i still remember my bunny's smell. and i wasn't even his mama. but i loved him, and i held him close. and we were blessed by it.

so maybe hats mean something and maybe they don't, or sock do or don't, or mittens.

but holding, holding close--that's the thing!
#33 of 48 Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
and cleaning the baby up and putting a hat on, THEN letting mom hold him, interferes with that.
(my bolding)

As if babies are dirty and need of professional cleaning...and as if mama needs to be allowed to hold her own baby. Sigh. It's all so cultural, and our culture is warped

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#34 of 48 Old 10-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
(my bolding)

As if babies are dirty and need of professional cleaning...and as if mama needs to be allowed to hold her own baby. Sigh. It's all so cultural, and our culture is warped
Yup.

It makes me so sad to hear people's birth stories with "then my doctor let me...", "he said I could..."

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#35 of 48 Old 10-10-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieLove06 View Post
They are also born without clothes...with that rational- those poor little babies born in January are S.O.L.
<snip>
That only makes since if you are giving birth outside. Most people birth in a room that is room temperature and why would that be any colder in January than in April/August/November? If you are going outside and it is -7 I don't think anyone would object to a hat. Indoors in a warm room it doesn't make sense to wear a hat. I put one on DS because it was cute. Later that day I decided there was no need for it and I took it off. Plus my babies heads are always bigger than the infant hats they sell and they never stay on anyway.

I do agree with the comment in the linked thread about kissing the babies head. I love to kiss DS's head and stroke his hair with my cheek, chin and lips.
#36 of 48 Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 PM

This is such an interesting thread! I remember my ds' smell clearly when he was tiny - he smelled like delicious cake to me - I still smell his head all the time. Now he smells spicy like a curry - probably because he hates to have his hair washed!!

Unfortunately I will have a cesarean so I will take the dumb hat off as soon as I get into my own room and away from those meddlesome employees at the hospital. I'm sure I will infuriate and alienate them anyway when I tell them NOT to suction the new baby unless clearly necessary. And refuse to let them give the baby a bottle, etc. (I am type 1 diabetic since age 12 and they love to catastrophize my having children)
#37 of 48 Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 PM

I think the hat thing stems from the whole practice of separating mom and baby after birth. Babies do need to be kept warm and some have trouble regulating their own temp immediately after birth. Throw that in with the rush to bathe them and keeping them on a warmer all unwrapped and you get a cold baby. It´s not natural for mom and baby to be separated like that.

If mom and baby were to just stay skin to skin as nature intended this wouldn´t be such a problem. I remember my mom telling me that when she had us they wouldn´t even allow rooming in. The baby was kept in the nursery and it was encouraged that the mother rest.
#38 of 48 Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 PM

I live in FL and my first 3 babies never had a hat on.. what a waste of money on them lol.. but this is my first January baby (the others were all born in April and May) and yes, we will be putting hats on, just as I will put a hat on my older childrens head if they need it.
#39 of 48 Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 AM

Anyone know when hospitals started doing hats? I was born in the early 70s and I'm really sure they didn't "do" hats then.

Christa
#40 of 48 Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
anyway, it was really beautiful, to be that close to him all the way. just to have him in my arms so close. i was keeping him as warm as i could, the whole time, and the best and only thing that i could think of was using my warm body.

and he was so snuggled up and happy.
I'm a bunny lover and I wanted to after reading this.
#41 of 48 Old 10-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Swadlling was started 400-500 years ago. It was not used to calm babies or keep them warm. It was originally started to make sure their arms and legs grew totally straight, because that was prettier.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#42 of 48 Old 10-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
Swadlling was started 400-500 years ago. It was not used to calm babies or keep them warm. It was originally started to make sure their arms and legs grew totally straight, because that was prettier.
I didn't know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon
If you are going outside and it is -7 I don't think anyone would object to a hat. Indoors in a warm room it doesn't make sense to wear a hat.
Right! I think a lot of the people here aghast that someone wouldn't put a hat on the baby's head are thinking the OP was talking about *never* putting a hat on the head, even if it is very cold. They're probably not aware of the ongoing debate (welcome to MDC and the UC forum ) about the common practice of putting a hat on the head directly after birth in a warm room or when baby is covered and next to mama and keeping it on continually no matter what the temperature of the environment. There are reasons to question that, and that is what most of us have been addressing on this thread.

Perhaps anudi could clarify this in the OP so that we don't keep getting the same "of course you put a hat on the baby's head" posts from people who haven't bothered to read the thread before posting.
#43 of 48 Old 10-11-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
And also to stop them falling off the walls. Goodness, you couldn't have people HOLDING their babies, that would never do

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#44 of 48 Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 AM

Swaddling is certainly older than 400-500 years. The Bible says Jesus was wrapped in swaddling clothes.
#45 of 48 Old 10-22-2007, 02:57 PM

According to Dr. Harvey Karp in his book, The Happiest Baby on the Block, “For tens of thousands of years, mothers living in cool climates have swaddled their babies. . . . History has recorded that Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar and Jesus were all swaddled as babies. . . . And now, our nation has also rediscovered that babies like being wrapped as snug as a bug in a rug.”
http://www.mommiesmagazine.com/?paged=2&s=deprivation

All I know is both my babies were very comforted by being swaddled, and I'm sure I will swaddle this one too.
#46 of 48 Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 PM

We should probably start a new thread if we're going to discuss swaddling

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#47 of 48 Old 10-22-2007, 03:36 PM

No, nature didn't intend for newborns to wear hats. Nature intended the baby to be close to mom's body heat. Ideally you should have your newborn next to your skin for the whole "fourth trimester." But this isn't always possible, so you might want to put clothing/hat on your baby when s/he isn't receiving your body warmth.
#48 of 48 Old 10-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Hehe, I woke up this morning thinking - brrrr, if I have the baby today, s/he's wearing a hat! Texas really spoils a person - drop down in the 50s, and we start wimpering.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page