getting the birth certificate - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 178 Old 12-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In CA, it is different from county to county. In Alameda, you call and request a homebirth packet, and go in within a year to see the guy who sends it out with it all filled out and the required paperwork in hand, and he's really nice and it's taken care of. I'm in Santa Clara now, and found the homebirth packet online last night. (Terms: register out-of-hospital birth Santa Clara County.) Here's a midwife's page that talks a bit about how to file: http://www.gentlebirth.org/ronnie/calinfo.html.

It is different if you wait until after a year to file. I'll be sending in that paperwork (from my ds's birth 3+ years ago) ASAP. I just need to address the envelope and mail it in! It's been waiting over a year.
Moosie711 likes this.

Laura, mama to J (11), N (8),E (5) , and M (2). Baby #5 expected in Dec 2010!
#62 of 178 Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Yes. California is very different county to county. Us being so close to Mexico here in San Diego, I may have to jump through hoops in order to get mine. However, drive an hour north and not so much. The easiest thing to do is call the Vital Statistics office for where you live.

Awesome for making this a sticky!!!
Moosie711 likes this.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#63 of 178 Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 PM

I still haven't filled it out yet, ha ha! I'm such a procrastinator. To get the form, I called the Vital Statistics office, first in Harrisburg (where I never got a call back), then I called their office in New Castle to get a response. They actually called me back. Here is their website, currently the New Castle Vital Stat's phone number is: (724) 656-3100, fax is: (724) 652-8951. When I called them, I asked to speak to someone in regards to registering a birth.

When they sent me the forms, there was a lot of info you had to fill out on it. I think the things you have to do is pretty consistent state-wide too.

After you fill out the questionnaire, you also have to have 2 people go with you to a notary public who knew you were pregnant and gave birth, if a physician or midwife was not in attendance for the birth. It also says you submit a 'document', examples of this are, and I quote,
"a hospital record, church or baptismal record, or a physicians office record. This record should show the child's name, month, day and year of birth, along with the complete address and city of birth. The document should contain the name, address and telephone number of the facility, church or physicians office; also the signature and telephone number of the person certifying the document. The certifying person should be a physician, pastor/clergy or someone in administration at the facility". : Hopefully the record they gave us when we took DS to the emergency room will suffice for us. :

The form you gotta fill out many questions about the mother, health, etc etc. Hopefully my 'proof of pregnancy' that they gave me will also help. If I have to I'll get my prenatal records too.

I think you have a year from the birth to register it. You can also fill out the form and request your childs social security card as well so it saves you a trip to the SS office.

Hope this helps!

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#64 of 178 Old 12-25-2007, 05:11 PM

I have had 2 UCs in Texas. Texas does not require that you go to a clinic or doctor for a pregnancy test. For proof of pregnancy, we have always just had a friend write a letter saying that he knew me to be pregnant, then the friend signs the letter in front of a notary public (Kinkos, $3), that's your "affidavit for proof of pregnancy". Take the notarized letter, your electric bill, a photo ID (driver's license), and the baby to the counter. Stand in line, pay your money, all done. Easy peesy. I procrastinated both times, and got the BC when the baby was 6-8 months old. No problems either time. The SS# is only slightly trickier, because you have to wait not 10-30 minutes, but more like 2-3 hours. Sucks. But they take all the same documents as "proof".
#65 of 178 Old 12-25-2007, 05:22 PM

double posted by accident
#66 of 178 Old 12-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
Well Idaho sounds easy enough other than I do not have a written proof of pregnancy. What can I do in that case?

Rebecca
hey rebecca,

remember that three impartial witnesses make a legal document when signed and notarized.

they would not accept birth pictures of bellies or birth.

It was quite easy for three neighbors to go down to a notary and just sign a piece of paper that I typed up on my computer swearing I was pregnant
#67 of 178 Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 PM

Does anyone know how to get a birth certificate in North Carolina?

afro.jpg Chelci partners.gif Anthony, parents to: kid.gif E- 11/2006,energy.gif A- 07/2008, and babyf.gifBaby #3 due Aug. 2014.

A Few Facts About Our Familynamaste.gif  intactlact.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#68 of 178 Old 12-27-2007, 02:39 PM

I found it!

North Carolina
How do I get a birth certificate for my baby?
The state of North Carolina requires that any live birth regardless of gestation be filed with the registrar of the county the birth occurred in within 10 days after the baby is born.

Your midwife may provide for you a Birth Information Worksheet, which you will fill out and take with you along with the following 4 items to your County Health Department, Vital Statistics Office. If your midwife does not supply you a copy of the Birth Information Worksheet you may be given one to fill out at the Vital Statistics office or they may ask you the questions. Some counties are now sending the Birth Information Worksheet to the parents before they are scheduled for an appointment with the Vital Statistics office.

- Your ID

- Social Security Numbers (if you are a US citizen and have a SSN) - The Family Support Act of 1988 (Pub. L. 100-485) requires states to require parents to give their Social Security Numbers in order to get a birth certificate issued for a newborn. The law allows the requirement to be waived for "good cause", but there's no indication of what may qualify

- Proof of pregnancy - it is up to the county registrar to decide what to ask for within reason, but could be one of the following:

Notarized letter from anyone who knew you pregnant - letter states witness’s name and county and says that witness knew that X mother was pregnant and gave birth on X day.

Copy of a receipt from any doctor seen during pregnancy

Picture of mother pregnant

OR

- Proof of live birth- it is up to the county registrar to decide what to ask for within reason. It is not reasonable to ask for prenatal records from your midwife if she is practicing illegally. If you feel that you are being asked to supply unreasonable information, you should contact the Vital Statistics office in Raleigh.

Baby (bring baby with you)

Birth record from midwife (CNM)

- Proof of residence (this is a document that was sent to your address by a company, for example a telephone bill).

If the father and mother are not married the father’s name will not be on the certificate unless the father and mother complete an affidavit acknowledging paternity. The mother will have to sign the birth certificate; the dad can sign the certificate as the certifier if you do not want to list a midwife (example, your midwife is NOT a CNM). After the certificate is completed and signed by everyone the registrar will file it at the courthouse.

You will receive a “Mother’s Copy” in the mail a few days or weeks after you file the certificate. To obtain a certified copy, fill out an application form, make a check of $15.00 payable to NC Vital Records and mail (you can not fax or email) it to The North Carolina Vital Records Branch, Division of Health Services, 1903 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-3526. You should receive it in about 8 weeks.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, in the United States, State laws require birth certificates to be completed for all births, and Federal law mandates national collection and publication of births and other vital statistics data. The National Vital Statistics System, the Federal compilation of this data, is the result of the cooperation between the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and the States to provide access to statistical information from birth certificates.

afro.jpg Chelci partners.gif Anthony, parents to: kid.gif E- 11/2006,energy.gif A- 07/2008, and babyf.gifBaby #3 due Aug. 2014.

A Few Facts About Our Familynamaste.gif  intactlact.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#69 of 178 Old 01-07-2008, 04:56 AM

Ok So I need to know how to find out what constitutes "proof of pregnancy" for an unassisted Pregnancy (ie, not seen by a midwife, OB, doula and no pregancy test done anywhere "official")

Do the following count:

* over-the-counter pregnancy test that still reads positive, that has my name & date it was peed on written on it in Sharpie?
* my baby's umbilical cord & placenta still attached (lotus birth) when going into the Health Dept to apply for birth certificate?
* a clear picture of me with big round belly, holding the newspaper of that day?
* notarized statment from friends/coworkers/neighbors etc, saying YES she was pregnant?

what would be needed to Prove without question that I was indeed pregnant with my child? I am not being seen by anyone and I'm wondering if I should break down & go to my local health department for a pregnancy test (would rather not, if I can avoid it by other means). Also any kind of "official" prenatal care is out of the question at this point.

ADD:

OH sorry I forgot, I am in Florida I don't know if that changes anything.
#70 of 178 Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblufig View Post
We're going through the process in IL (Chicago) right now. If the baby is less than 3 months old, you have to go through the county Board of Health, who prefer both a notarized letter from any 3rd party aware of your pregnancy AND a letter on letterhead from any medical-type who's seen the baby stating that they've been seen and are healthy. There's 2 affadavids (sp?) from the mother and father that need to be completed and notarized as well. If the baby is older than 3 months but less than a year, you have to go through the County Clerk's office.
Yikes, and I thought what we went through was a nightmare. Did they change the rules? Mine was born in Feb of '07. I had a UP (essentially) and I submitted a notarized letter written by my mother who testified that I had been pregnant.

But now you're saying that Chicago needs 2 separate affidavits, one from the mother, one from the father? So what is one to do if one is a single mother?

Everywhere else in IL, it is really easy. I had no problems in the small town I lived in previously.
#71 of 178 Old 01-07-2008, 06:19 PM

I will quote my own post, typing one-handed and nursing

Quote:
Update for IL (Cook County, anyway). It went really well. We were in and out of the Health Dept in under 45 minutes. We had a note from the family doc we see plus the two affidavits (from mother & father) that we got online. We had those notarized at our local bank branch for free. And that was it! No u/s or proof of pregnancy required. She asked about date of LMP, any blood work done, when was prenatal care started, etc., but never asked asked by whom, so if you DIY, on paper it'll look like you had the most prenatal care anywhere in the world. On the phone and on the affidavits it said to bring a marriage certificate if the parents are married but when we got there she said she didn't need it. Anyway, Zel is now officially existing afa the state of IL is concerned. Now for the ss#...

Some links:
affidavits (mama) http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...ZZ9996haR.html
(dad) http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...ZZ9996hbR.html

Board of Health (312)744-3798, ask for Mrs. Farmer, best to reach in late morning
She told us over the phone they needed both, but when we got there she said just one was fine and the banker who notarized it counted as the third party.

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#72 of 178 Old 01-07-2008, 10:08 PM

Anyone know about CT? I noticed a question earlier but didn't see a reply..
#73 of 178 Old 01-11-2008, 12:10 PM

Anyone know about Virginia?

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#74 of 178 Old 01-11-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
She told us over the phone they needed both,
Interesting.... I was told that the mother and father's affidavit would not count, and that it would need to be a third party (such as doctor, or even a family relative who could testify that I had been pregnant and given birth). So does that mean Chicago changed the rules? I'm thinking I should call them and ask?
#75 of 178 Old 01-13-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyFan View Post
Interesting.... I was told that the mother and father's affidavit would not count, and that it would need to be a third party (such as doctor, or even a family relative who could testify that I had been pregnant and given birth). So does that mean Chicago changed the rules? I'm thinking I should call them and ask?
And those affidavits were downloaded off their own website! It seems to be loosely enforced, depending on who you're working with. For instance, from the state's own website (http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...000300R.html):

h) If the child is more than three (3) days and less than one (1) year of age on the date of application, the local registrar may require the parent or legal guardian to appear in person with the child as a prerequisite to forwarding the certificate of birth to the State Registrar. The birth shall be registered on the current Certificate of Live Birth and shall be signed by:

1) The physician in attendance at or immediately (within 72 hours) after the birth, or in the absence of such a person;

2) Any other person in attendance at or immediately (within 72 hours) after the birth, or in the absence of such a person; or

3) The father, the mother, or in the absence of the father and the inability of the mother, the person in charge of the premises where the birth occurred. (Section 12 of the Act).

i) When the certificate is signed by the father, mother, or the person in charge of the premises, it shall be accompanied by a statement by the physician who later gave medical care, if any, or a sworn statement by a third party present at the delivery or having personal knowledge of the delivery.

Which is pretty much what they said they wanted when I spoke to them over the phone: the affidavits from the mother and father (if applicable) and a note on letterhead from any medical person who'd seen the baby and a notarized letter from a third party who was aware that I was pregnant. But when we got there in person, she took the two notarized affidavits and the note from the family doc and that was that. I don't know what to tell you. All I know is, we've got a birth certificate. She did tell us that if the baby's over 3 months and less than a year, you have to go thru the county clerk's office and it gets a bit more complicated. She didn't elaborate and we didn't ask since dd was less than 3 months.

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#76 of 178 Old 01-13-2008, 04:50 PM

In Israel you need a certified midwife's letter and copy of her license saying that she was there and her notes from the birth PLUS a letter from a doctor saying that s/he saw the baby and the baby is healthy PLUS both parents and their ID's and money. It wasn't so bad where we had it done, but for those working with non registered midwives it can get a bit trickier.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#77 of 178 Old 01-18-2008, 11:45 PM

MISSISSIPPI

Vital Statistics:
Jeanie Wiliams 601-576-7189 (Northern MS)
Ed Berry 601-576-7965 (Southern MS)

these are the two field reps for the vitals statistics office in Jackson that handle this
I talked to Jeanie, she was really nice and very helpful and spent a long time on the phone explaining things to me (I'd try to talk to her 1st, I have yet to talk to Mr. Berry, he was out of the office when I called)

2 proofs: (1) a signed statement from someone who attended the birth or arrived shortly after, must be notarized or
(2) statement from the Dr or midwife on office letterhead saying yes, you were pregnant and saw the Dr./midwife at least once
(if you never saw the dr./midwife I understand two statements from witnesses will suffice)

Mr. Berry is going to call me next week and ask me background questions that go on the BC and then he is going to set a up a visit to my home to get the BC signed. He is also a notary and can notarized the witness statement(s) at that time if the witness(es) are present
He will bring paperwork to file the SSN to the home visit as well

Witness statement should read as follows:

I, (name) witnessed the birth of (person's child) at (residence) on (date)

I also found out if you want newborn screening tests done (for 50+ genetic diseases) you should call your local health department and set a time to come and get the blood drawn (just a heelprick I understand) I think the fee is $70

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#78 of 178 Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 PM

OK, well... I compiled the info from this thread... I didn't list the sources, and I combined and/or edited some of the responses... I hope that's acceptable. I wasn't trying to step on any toes, simply make it a bit more streamlined. I also only included U.S. states at this time, not Canadian provinces or other countries.

The information is listed alphabetically by state. However, even within states, requirements may vary from county to county. Furthermore, this collection is based on personal experiences; they may be out of date or inaccurate. Be sure to call your local health department or county clerk’s office to get accurate, up-to-date information. That said, most places will ask for the same thing:

#1) your ID
#2) proof of pregnancy (it’s a good idea to take an “official” test somewhere, such as a family doctor or a family planning place) OR a doctor’s form or statement of prenatal care (a note from an OB with an EDD is good)
#3) proof of residence (utility bill or lease or such)
#4) proof of live birth (You can get hand-written statements from three people whether or not they were there. This would include their names, addresses, and signatures, and a basic statement saying that you were personally known to them and that you were pregnant and that you had a baby, boy/girl-weighing #, on such and such a day and time. This does not say they were there, just that they know you and know that you had this baby.
#5) Father’s ID and signature

States currently missing from this list:

Arkansas
Connecticut
Delaware
Hawaii
Iowa
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Michigan
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Utah
Vermont
Washington
West Virginia
Wyoming

ALABAMA

Call the health department and they send you a packet from Montgomery within days. You can also get one in person from the local health department. Here is the number for the Montgomery Home Birth Clerk who can send the packet and answer questions: 334-206-2714. The fees are $12 if within the first year, with $4 for each additional copy. It rises to $20 if after one year. The application is very basic. It asks for the child’s name, the mother’s name, and the father’s name.

The Application to Establish a Birth Certificate for a Home Birth that Occurred Less Than Five Years Ago:

1. To prove the pregnancy of the mother -
Provide name, address and daytime phone number of a medical doctor (unrelated to you) who treated or performed lab work on the mother while she was pregnant OR provide a notarized statement from mother's employer which indicates the mother was granted maternity leave and the dates for that.

2. To prove the infant was born alive -
Provide name and all that other stuff of medical doctor who treated the child since birth (labs, shots, etc.) OR The same information from a county health department

3. To prove it occurred in Alabama -

If occurred at the mother’s residence, provide a utility bill that covers the time frame when the birth occurred OR Provide statement from an official or state or local government agency that indicates mother was receiving services at that time.

HOME BIRTH WORKSHEET:
(Seems to be mostly for statistical purposes)

Names, address, DOB, level of education for mom and dad, race, SSN, occupation, how much weight you gained during the pregnancy, if you smoked, drank or did drugs, maiden name, were you married when you gave birth.

DELIVERY AND MEDICAL INFORMATION:
Place of birth, attendant's name (box for Mother Only or Other where you could put dad, presumably) date of birth, time, sex, single or twins, etc. Birth weight, estimate of gestation, Apgar and other information that would not be applicable for a home birth, any abnormailites, etc. Some info on mom, prenatal care, etc.

ALASKA

You need the original copies of:

- Proof of pregnancy
- Proof of residency
- Proof of birth / baby

ARIZONA

Requirements to Register Births for Non-electronic Hospitals and Home Births Within 7-Day Timeframe

From birth to 7 days, one of the parties who was present during or immediately after the birth (a midwife, physician, nurse, the child’s father, mother, or other family member of legal age, or any other witness) can submit it for registration.

If the Certificate of Live birth is received by mail and the envelope is postmarked within 7 days after the birth, the certificate shall be processed under this timeframe.

1. Certificate of Live Birth must be completed and signed by the informant and attend and must be forwarded to the County or State Vital Records within 7 days after birth.

2. If the parents are not married, an Acknowledgement of Paternity or Court Ordered Paternity must be submitted before the father's name can be entered on the birth certificate.

Requirements for Late Registration (More than 7 days but less than 1 year)

Submit the following documents to register the birth:

a. A completed, signed certificate of live birth (must be signed by informant and attendant)

b. Medical record on the mother; if the mother had the child at home and the mother does not have any medical records, a utility bill from the month and year in which the child was born with the mother's name and address listed, public assistance documents that prove mother was present in Arizona at the time of birth or other documents confirming that the mother was present in Arizona at the time of birth will be required.

c. Medical/delivery records on the child; if the child was born at home and does not have any medical records, then a church record on the child or public assistance documents can be submitted to meet this requirement.

d. The mother or legal guardian registering the birth must provide a driver's license or a state-issued identification card that includes the mother's name and current address on the face of the ID.

e. If the parents are not married, an Acknowledgement of Paternity or Court Ordered Paternity must be submitted before the father's name can be entered on the birth certificate.

ARKANSAS

CALIFORNIA

Here's a midwife's page that talks a bit about how to file: http://www.gentlebirth.org/ronnie/calinfo.html.

Alameda: Call and request a homebirth packet, and go in within a year to see the guy who sends it out with it all filled out and the required paperwork in hand, and he's really nice and it's taken care of. It is different if you wait until after a year to file.

San Diego: Call your city's Vital Statistics office for the information pack. They will mail it out to you; it should arrive quickly.

COLORADO

You will need two notarized affidavits stating you were pregnant (or proof of prenatal care) and the baby’s medical records.

CONNECTICUT

DELAWARE

FLORIDA

Take the baby to the health department the very first day and they fill out the papers there; this might not require any further proof.

GEORGIA

The forms required are available on the GA Friends of Midwives website. You will need:

- Photo ID
- Proof of pregnancy (Officially the state will not accept your own personal record of care; however, in practice, they sometimes do.)
- Proof of residency (a utility bill, a copy of homeowner’s insurance, or a copy of mortgage paperwork)
- 2 affidavits of attendance. (The mother can be one of the witnesses.) If there are no 2 witnesses, you can get a signed affidavit from a licensed physician describing his/her knowledge of the mother prior to the birth and knowledge of the newborn resulting from his/her examination of the infant.

They also reserve the right to require supplemental information and/or a home visit by a public health nurse or other health professional before issuing a birth certificate. If you do not have a record of medical care for the child, they might check the baby out immediately at the local health department.

HAWAII

IDAHO

You need to call vital statistics to get a homebirth worksheet. If it is just you and your partner you are the informant and your partner is certifier. If there is ANYONE else there regardless of if they did anything, they are the certifier, even if they were watching the kids in the basement. You only need proof of pregnancy and proof of address (with one or both of your names on it). Paperwork and proofs needs to be mailed in within 15 days of the birth. If it isn't you get a warning and a couple extra days. Anything after a month is considered late and you will get something else that has less standing in a legal sense. After you mail it in they will send you another sheet that you and your spouse (or the certifier) will sign. You mail that one back in as well and then they send you the birth certificate.

Also: They will not accept birth pictures or belly photos. However, three impartial witnesses make a legal document when signed and notarized. It is quite easy for three neighbors to go down to a notary and sign a piece of paper swearing you were pregnant.

ILLINOIS

Chicago:

You will need:

- Photo ID and proof of address
- A notarized letter from a third party (preferably a doctor) aware of your pregnancy
- A letter from a doctor who has seen the baby, stating they are healthy.
- 2 affidavits from the mother and father that need to be completed and notarized; you can download affidavits off the website. ttp://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/077005000000300R.html

If the baby is less than three months old, you will have to go through the County Board of Health. If the baby is older than 3 months but less than a year, you have to go through the County Clerk's office. If the child is more than three days but less than one year of age on the date of the application, the local registrar may require the parent or legal guardian to appear in person with the child. The Certificate of Live Birth shall be signed by

- the physician in attendance at or immediately (within 72 hours) after the birth OR
- any other person in attendance at or immediately (within 72 hours) after the birth OR
- the father or the mother OR
- the person in charge of the premises where the birth occurred.

When the certificate is signed by the father, mother, or the person in charge of the premises, it shall be accompanied by a statement by the physician who later gave medical care or a sworn statement by a third party present at the delivery or having personal knowledge of the delivery.

Cook County:

You need:

- A note from a doctor
- Two notarized affidavits (from the mother and father) that you can get online
- Information about LMP, any blood work, prenatal care, etc. but no documents are needed
- Marriage certificate (if the parents are married)

Mother's affidavit: http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...ZZ9996haR.html
Father's affidavit: http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...ZZ9996hbR.html

Board of Health (312) 744-3798, ask for Mrs. Farmer; it's easiest to reach her in the late morning.

DuPage County: Call the Health Department (vital records) instead of the county clerk for home births. 630-221-7381. You can't get the packet until after the baby's born. After filling it out and bringing it in, they'll type it up (takes 45 minutes), and you'll need to have both parents there to sign the birth certificate. There will also be a third-party form in the packet.

INDIANA

-proof of pregnancy and/or prenatal care
-proof of residence
-proof of a baby (has to be a doctor visit form)
-witness statements
-photo ID
-father’s ID

IOWA

KANSAS
In Kansas you need to call the Vital Statistics Office in Topeka and tell them you need to register an unassisted home birth. They send you a packet with some forms to fill out and you need to send them back with a "proof of pregnancy". There is a list of acceptable people in with the forms they send. They will send you the birth certificate, you sign it and mail it back, and they send you a final copy for a small fee.

KENTUCKY

Take the following info to the local vital statistics office and they send it to Frankfort:

-Proof of Residence
-Photo ID
-Proof of Pregnancy
-Proof of Live Birth – they prefer a doctor but they will settle for 2 notarized
-Affidavits of Live Birth from witnesses of the birth (can be the mother and father)

LOUISIANA

MAINE

MARYLAND

MASSACHUSETTS

For MA residents, here is the dept of vital records: www.mass.gov/dph/bhsre/rvr/rvr.htm Officially you need to provide the following within 40 days of the birth, but they will still work with you if you are late. You need:

- A notarized statement from the mother and partner stating to the facts of the birth (date, time, place, sex of child, and the name of child)
- A homebirth worksheet
- Proof of residence
- Proof of marriage if you are married.

They also prefer to have a notarized statement from a pediatrician and from a prenatal care provider; however you can get a birth certificate without either of those. They might list your partner as the certifier if there is no doctor or midwife present.

MICHIGAN

MINNESOTA

The MN Dept. of Health sends out an out-of-hospital-birth packet. You fill it out and send it back. Your 'proof of pregnancy' can be a notarized affidavit stating the mother was pregnant and present in the state of MN when she delivered a live infant OR you can have a note with doctor’s or clinic's letterhead confirming pregnancy. The affidavit form is included in the packet they send.

MISSISSIPPI

Jackson Vital Statistics contacts:

Northern MS: Jeanie Williams 601-576-7189
Southern MS: Ed Berry 601-576-7965

You will need 2 proofs:

1.) A signed and notarized statement from someone who attended the birth or arrived shortly after OR
2.) A statement from a doctor or midwife on office letterhead saying that the mother was pregnant and saw the doctor/mw at least once. If you never saw a doctor or midwife, two statements from witnesses will suffice.

They will call you back and ask background questions that will go on the birth certificate, and also will set up a home visit with Mr. Berry to get the birth certificate. signed. Mr. Berry is also a notary and can notarize the witness statements if witnesses are present. Witness statement should read as follows: “I, (name) witnessed the birth of (person's child) at (residence) on (date).” He will bring paperwork to file the SSN to the home visit as well.

ALSO: If you want a newborn screening tests done (for 50+ genetic diseases) you should call your local health department and set a time to come and get the blood drawn (just a heel prick); the fee is $70.

MISSOURI

Call the office for vital statistics in Jefferson City and request an application for live birth. Fill out the form with your names, date and place of the birth, etc. and on the back you need to have two notarized signatures of people who knew that the baby was alive (they didn't have to witness the birth). Send the form in with a $15 fee.

MONTANA

Missoula County: You will really get the run around if you don't word your question right when you call. If you ask about filing for a "delayed BC" they will likely understand what you need. Linda Crawley can give you a homebirth worksheet - 2 papers to fill out with the birth info and the mother's pregnancy history. Ms. Crawley is a free notary and can witness your signature to these documents! The father can be the "certifier" or witness of birth. All you need are photo ID’s - no affidavits, proof of pg, doctor's notes, etc. If you want they will also send your info to the SS office for you to receive your child's SS card. A normal short form copy of the BC is $5. She will send you a form once she types up the info from your worksheet.

NEBRASKA

NEVADA

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Call Vital Statistics in Concord within one week of the birth and they will send paperwork to your town clerk. Then you go in and fill it out with the clerk, and your town clerk signs it and sends it back. They require you to bring in the baby as proof. A couple of weeks later you'll get your birth certificate. Here is the information on the worksheet:

-The name and address of a birth attendant if a parent, friend, ambulance attendant or other person attended the birth
-Information regarding the child (name, date and time of birth, sex)
-Info on facility (name; street address; the city or town and county)
-Information regarding the mother
-Information regarding the father
-The method of payment for prenatal care
-The method of payment for delivery
-Statistical information from the mother, medical reports and her physician regarding the mother and child
-Transfer information for the mother and child
-Medical risk factors for the pregnancy
-Other risk factors for the pregnancy
-Obstetric procedures performed during the course of the pregnancy
-Complications of labor and delivery
-The method of delivery
-Any abnormal conditions of the newborn
-Any congenital anomalies of the child

NEW JERSEY

NEW MEXICO

#1) proof of pregnancy and/or prenatal care
#2) proof of residence
#3) proof of a baby (has to be a doctor’s visit form)
#4) witness statements
#5) photo ID.

NEW YORK

Bring the baby and photo ID to the city clerk's office and fill out a simple form.

NORTH CAROLINA

The state of North Carolina requires that any live birth regardless of gestation be filed with the registrar of the county the birth occurred in within 10 days after the baby is born. You will need to obtain a Birth Information Worksheet from the Vial Statistics Office, which you will fill out and take with you along with the following 4 items to your County Health Department, Vital Statistics Office:

- Your ID

- Proof of residence (this is a document that was sent to your address by a company, for example a telephone bill).

- Social Security Numbers (The law allows the requirement to be waived for "good cause", but there's no indication of what may qualify.)

- Proof of pregnancy - it is up to the county registrar to decide what to ask for within reason, but could be one of the following: Notarized letter from anyone who knew you pregnant; letter stating a witness’s name and county and says that witness knew that X mother was pregnant and gave birth on X day / Copy of a receipt from any doctor seen during pregnancy / Picture of mother pregnant

- Proof of live birth- it is up to the county registrar to decide what to ask for within reason. i.e. Baby (bring baby with you) / Birth record from midwife (CNM)

If you feel that you are being asked to supply unreasonable information, you should contact the Vital Statistics office in Raleigh.

If the father and mother are not married the father’s name will not be on the certificate unless the father and mother complete an affidavit acknowledging paternity. The mother will have to sign the birth certificate; the dad can sign the certificate as the certifier. After the certificate is completed and signed by everyone the registrar will file it at the courthouse.

You will receive a “Mother’s Copy” in the mail a few days or weeks after you file the certificate. To obtain a certified copy, fill out an application form, make a check of $15.00 payable to NC Vital Records and mail (you can not fax or email) it to The North Carolina Vital Records Branch, Division of Health Services, 1903 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-3526. You should receive it in about 8 weeks.

NORTH DAKOTA

OHIO

OKLAHOMA

OREGON

Call the Vital Records Department in Portland and ask for paperwork for registering an unattended birth. You have until 10 months of age to register a birth. Call the Vital Records office and ask them to send you the paperwork for registration and affidavits (be sure and ask them for a SSN form as well, if you want to do that concurrently; the SSN office can make a lot of hassle for you if you try to do it later.)

In the case of a birth you want to register as unassisted, you will simply put yourself or "no one" or your husband's name in the birth attendant field. You will also need to get two affidavits from people swearing that you gave birth, and those people will have to get them notarized. You do not need proof of pregnancy.

From 10 months of age to the seventh birthday, you will have to do a "delayed filing". This is similar to a regular filing, except that before they will send you the registration materials, you must go through the process of proving that no birth has yet been registered in your child's name. They will send you a birth and death order form, which you fill out with your child's name and your name and address and send back to them with $20. They will send the form back to you notarized and signed by a clerk saying that no such registration exists. Then you will call the Vital Records office again, tell them that you are doing a delayed filing for a non-attended homebirth and that you have the notarized birth and death order form, and they will send you the rest of the paperwork. When you've got that all ready to go, you'll send it all back to the Vital Records office. It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is, it's reallly very straight forward.

After the seventh birthday, you will have to go to court to register a birth. It involves all the same paperwork, you just have to get a judge to okay it.

PENNSYLVANIA

To get the form, call the Vital Statistics office. Currently the New Castle Vital Stat's phone number is: (724) 656-3100, fax is: (724) 652-8951. Ask to speak to someone in regards to registering a birth. They will send you the necessary forms.

You have to have 2 people go with you to a notary public who knew you were pregnant and gave birth, if a physician or midwife was not in attendance for the birth. It also says you submit a 'document', examples of this are, and I quote,
"a hospital record, church or baptismal record, or a physicians office record. This record should show the child's name, month, day and year of birth, along with the complete address and city of birth. The document should contain the name, address and telephone number of the facility, church or physicians office; also the signature and telephone number of the person certifying the document. The certifying person should be a physician, pastor/clergy or someone in administration at the facility".

You also need to fill out many questions about the mother, health, etc. You might also need to provide the proof of pregnancy or prenatal care records, if available. You have one year from the birth to register it. You can also fill out the form and request your child’s social security card as well so it saves you a trip to the SS office.

RHODE ISALND

SOUTH CAROLINA

SOUTH DAKOTA

TENNESSEE

Shelby County: (as of 2004)

Go down to the Town Clerk’s office with the following:

- a proof of pregnancy
- 3 notarized affidavits of witnesses to the pregnancy
- a doctor’s note saying the baby had been seen
- a certifier to the birth (can be father)
- photo ID

TEXAS

You can wait several months before going down to the Clerk’s office, but try to get in before a year. You will need to fill out a form, pay a fee, and provide the following:

#1) proof of pregnancy,
#2) proof of residence,
#3) proof of a baby (you can bring the baby with you),
#4) ID,

Texas does not require that you go to a clinic or doctor for a pregnancy test. For proof of pregnancy, you can get a friend submit a notarized affidavit saying that he or she knows you were pregnant.

The Social Security office accepts the same documents as "proof".

Cameron County:
http://www.co.cameron.tx.us/countyclerks/vital.htm
http://www.co.cameron.tx.us/jp/torres.htm

UTAH

VERMONT

VIRGINIA

WASHINGTON

WEST VIRGINIA

WISCONSIN

Call (608) 266-1373 between 8 AM - 4:15 PM Monday through Friday. For automated assistance 24 hours a day, call (608) 266-1371.

Asked for "information on registering an unattended birth.” They will ask for your name and address and they will send out a form, which includes a box to check to request a SSN.

WYOMING
#79 of 178 Old 02-05-2008, 07:49 PM

Just wanted to follow up...I finally got around to completing ds's paperwork here in AZ. Since we waited longer than 7 days, I did have to submit a utility bill from the month of birth in my name, driver's licence, and since we had no medical records AT ALL, that was the tricky one. Turns out, they accepted the chiropractor's "records" on my ds. They were not from birth, but were accepted none-the-less. I think if you wait past the 7 days, you will have to take the baby to some medical professional to get a record I started to argue, but realized it wasn't that bad. Just note to anybody else: don't wait 7 days, and it's much easier! And other note...if you do wait, and don't see docs, a chiropractor's record is A-OK

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#80 of 178 Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 AM

Colorado

I thought I would clarify that the requirements for Colorado are not baby's medical records and 2 affidavits! That just happened to satisfy Colorado state requirements in that particular mother's case. The requirements are as follows(and can be verified, as such);
1) Proof of pregnancy: examples are- prenatal records from a midwife, doctor, clinic, etc., ultrasound printout with the name of mother and EDT on it, a positive pregnancy test from a midwife, doctor, clinic(planned parenthood and emergicare are examples), notorized affidavits attesting to the fact that the mother was pregnant, etc.
2) proof of residency-examples are your lease, mortgage statement, utility/phone bill, etc.
3) proof of birth-the baby is considered proof of birth(if you just walk in with the child with you this will suffice), a medical record that backs the DOB for the child, etc.

So, for example walk in with a mortgage statement, ID's to prove who you are, and a planned parenthood pregnancy test, and baby and you are good to go. You will get a copy of the birth certificate right then and there with your signatures on it(i.e. where dad signed instead of a doctor and the form was filled out in your handwriting). A tip from the lady at VS was that if I wanted extra copies of the original I needed to get them at the time of birth registration, as later copies are barebones info on a computer generated form. Which I later found to be true when I ordered copies. I was glad I bought extras the day I registered the birth.

Just prove you were pregnant, had a baby, and are a Colorado resident/baby was born in Colorado. This is by no means a complete list of what satisfies the requirements, just examples, since every mom's situation varies just make sure you can prove those things.
#81 of 178 Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Virginia

30 Days After Birth (law requires 30 days):
1) Schedule appointment with the local health dept where the birth took place
2) Fill out a simple form with basic info about the pregnancy and the baby (weight, boy/girl, size, etc)
3) Bring in proof of pregnancy and picture ID
4) You also need a witness to sign and verbally state that he/she witnessed the birth and also show picture ID (This can be a spouse)

After 30 days
1) Proof of pregnancy (i.e. prenatal record, or signed statement from health care provider, or visit from health dept nurse)
2) Evidence the child was born alive (i.e. statement from health care provider who examined child or visit from health dept nurse)
3) Proof of residence if birth occured at mother's residence
*If the birth occured off mother's place of residence, a few affidaivits will be required to prove mother was there at the time of birth
**If the mother is not a resident of Virginia it will be up to the health department clerk what will be required.

A couple side notes. The clerk at the health department said that it can get pretty ugly if it is not done within 7 days after the birth took place. Even then, the application can be denied. So it also depends on the person inputing the information in Richmond. It would also be good to know the baby's size information and apgar scores since all that information has to be filled in on the application.

Julie- living and learning with dh A and dc M (00), A (02), J (02), J (05), A (06), B (07), S (08), ? (10)
#82 of 178 Old 03-11-2008, 12:11 PM

LOUISIANA

To register a home birth you must go to the local health unit in the
parish where the birth occurred with the following information:

Proof of Pregnancy-a statement from a Louisiana licensed midwife or
physician stating:

The date the mother was first seen by the doctor or midwife (this date
may be after the date of birth).

The results of the mother’s prenatal or postpartum exams or pregnancy
tests.

The date of the mother’s last menstrual period

The date the baby was born, or was expected to be born (due date)

Child's Information (one of the following)

A Statement from the child’s pediatrician or Health Care Provider
A Baptismal or Christening Record
Child’s Immunization Record
A Copy of the Child’s Health or life Insurance Policy

Photo Identification [of parents]
Louisiana Drivers license
Louisiana Identification card
Passport

Proof of Louisiana Residency (at the time of birth) one of the following:
Utility statement or bill
Lease

Christian Texan Mama to Merika (5/2005), Nolyn (1/2007), Keagan (UC baby 9/2007), Four miscarried lovelies, and sweet Evangeline Rose who arrived 9/7/2010 (home/water birth).  Expecting our fifth blessing March 2012! Viva la Vegan Pregnancy, my friends! 
Mandymom.com

#83 of 178 Old 03-20-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemists View Post
Anyone know about CT? I noticed a question earlier but didn't see a reply..
YES. Its easy!

Go to your town hall and ask for a "Home birth Registration Packet" from the town clerk. I JUST got mine.

I tried to find it online, but I cant. It comes from the Dept of health, Vital records.

It has detailed instructions and comes with all the forms. It asks for proof of pregnancy but you can have either a dr note, or 2 notarized forms (they give you the blank forms) for a witness other than you or your husband to swear that they saw you within x time period and you were pregnant.

The other forms are basic questions for the "vital records" dept. Did you use tobacco this pregnancy? Alcohol? What were the APGARS, space to check off any anomalies...birth defects...etc....

Pretty self explanitory. Then if you dont have a HCP to sign it you just have to have someone who is "swearing" that they witnessed the birth.

You return it to the town hall and your town clerk has to do the rest.

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#84 of 178 Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 PM

Anyone know about Washington? I'm planning a UC in October and I'd really like to know how to register the birth!
#85 of 178 Old 03-21-2008, 08:32 PM

I called Vital Records in Oregon today to get the paper work necessary to obtain a birth certificate and ssn. After calling a few numbers and getting a little bit of confusion from people, I got to someone who realized I needed to "register the birth" and she'd send me a "home birth packet."

Apparently the phrase "register the birth" is very important...otherwise they assume you just want an application for a birth certificate that already exists, or that someone else must have already filled out the paperwork for you the fact that myself and DH were the only attendants threw a couple of them off guard

So here are a couple more details to help Oregon UC parents. The number for OR Vital Records is 971-673-1190. (This number, 971-673-1169, took me right to the lady that knew just what I needed to register the birth.) And apparently there will be a box to check on the paperwork if you want a social security number too.
#86 of 178 Old 03-22-2008, 03:13 AM

Still nobody with info about Washington?
#87 of 178 Old 03-23-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Still nobody with info about Washington?
I've been looking for both of us. I had all the info I needed to UCing in Cali... Oh well.

I can't find a homebirth packet online. However, I did find something about the process on Bornfree site.

From Bornfree! Laura Shanley's webpage:
"I called the vital statistics office .... all they need is ID, proof of address, mom's signature and father's (or partner's) witness. If the baby is over 10 days old, they also need a doctor's bill or letter on "official" letterhead. "

I'm going to call the Snohomish County Vital Statitics office the next business day and ask who handles registration of out-of-hospital births. http://www.snohd.org/snoVitalStats/birth.htm

I expect that we'll see a ped at 3-5 days postpartum, and I'm going to try to make an appointment at the vital statistics office a few days later. I *will* get that paperwork filed ASAP this time! Honest, I will.

I'll try to update in about 4 weeks with how it goes. But would welcome info from someone in WA who has already done this since I'm due in 3 weeks!

Laura, mama to J (11), N (8),E (5) , and M (2). Baby #5 expected in Dec 2010!
#88 of 178 Old 04-01-2008, 02:42 PM

I know this has already been covered but i am in IL, just had a homebirth (3/24/08) with a midwife who is illegal, so I have to claim unassisted right? I am in dupage county wondering how i go about doing this birth cetificate thing? And can i file for SS# at the same time? Or is that a whole other process? Thanks for any help.
#89 of 178 Old 04-01-2008, 03:24 PM

I would call the DuPage County office of Vital Statistics and tell them you need to register a birth. "Register" is important, otherwise they'll pass you around thinking you just need a copy of a bc that's already in existence. And yes, you tell them the birth was unassisted, but when they ask about prenatal care, you can tell them you had mw care. You don't need to tell them who.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyMommyof2 View Post
I know this has already been covered but i am in IL, just had a homebirth (3/24/08) with a midwife who is illegal, so I have to claim unassisted right? I am in dupage county wondering how i go about doing this birth cetificate thing? And can i file for SS# at the same time? Or is that a whole other process? Thanks for any help.

#90 of 178 Old 04-01-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I would call the DuPage County office of Vital Statistics and tell them you need to register a birth. "Register" is important, otherwise they'll pass you around thinking you just need a copy of a bc that's already in existence. And yes, you tell them the birth was unassisted, but when they ask about prenatal care, you can tell them you had mw care. You don't need to tell them who.
If they ask for the name (just assuming they will) would i just tell them annon midwife then? What a PITA this is LOL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page