getting the birth certificate - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 178 Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would it be too suspicious to just call the health department to get UC info for our state (ohio) I need to know as I am pregnant

My name is Lindsay I am a full time wife to Nick 10-21-08 and full time mommy to Cadence, Irie and Isis

#122 of 178 Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 PM

I'm in St. Lucie County in Florida, and I just went in today to get the birth certificate for my UC babe. I believe that you can contact the Vital Statistics office before the birth and get an information packet with all of the required info. I didn't do that though.

When I went in, they asked for a photo ID, witness statements from 2 people attesting to the fact that they saw me pregnant, and I filled out the form that they usually fill out in the hospital about the pregnancy and birth. The following things weren't actually asked for, but I provided them anyway, & they did make copies of it all: Notarized witness statements from me and my husband about the birth, a prenatal record that I kept during my pregnancy with my blood pressure and fundal height etc., and I also gave them a paper confirming a positive pregnancy test that I got from Planned Parenthood when I was around 5 months... for the sole purpose of serving as the proof of pregnancy for the birth certificate, but they still wanted the witness statements as proof of pregnancy. Of course the witness statements were the only thing I didn't have, so I have to go back with those, and then they'll give me the certificate.

This is what they said... For the proof of pregnancy, if the mother had prenatal care, then she can bring in a letter from a licensed physician/midwife on letterhead stationary. If the mother had no prenatal care, than she can bring in signed witness statements from 2 people who can verify that she was pregnant. The examples on the paper I have are: employer (mother's or father's), clergy, neighbors (I assume they want non family witnesses).

They gave me 2 witness forms to have signed. They also said that if I have 2 people to witness my original witness sign the form, than I wouldn't need to have the form notarized. Otherwise, the forms have to be notarized. They also want copies of valid photo IDs of each main witness.

Here's what the form says in case anyone wants to print copies...

I, (name of person providing witness information), residing at (current address of witness) affirm that to the best of my knowledge, a child was born to (name of mother) on (date of birth) at (city/county where birth occurred).

This statement is based on my personal knowledge of conditions prior to and immediately after the birth. I acknowledge that this information will be used for filing a Certificate of Live Birth with the State of Florida and section 382.023(1) Florida Statutes states, "...willfully furnishing false or fraudulent information affecting a birth certificate is a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in sections 775.082, 775.083 or 775.084, Florida Statutes."

Signed in presence of:

(witness #1 signature)

(witness #1 name, please print)

(witness #2 signature)

(witness #2 name, please print)
#123 of 178 Old 08-25-2008, 12:15 PM

I found info for ohio! I got it off of the bornfree forums but am going to post it here

For a list of Ohio Vital Statistics Offices, check out: http://www.vitalchek.com/region_overvie ... gion_id=44)

To REGISTER the birth of your baby, it is free but must be done in person:
- no affadavit needed if you register your baby within 10 days of the birth
- you have up to 1 year from the date of birth to register the birth, but an
affadavit is required
- must go, with your child and w/ your IDs (drivers license, passport) to your local Office of Vital Statistics

To obtain a BIRTH CERTIFICATE, it's $15 and an application must be filled out which looks like:

BIRTH CERTIFICATE - Required Information:
Person's full given name
Date of birth
Place of birth (e.g. hospital or home address)
Both parents' names
Mother's maiden name

DEATH CERTIFICATE - Required Information:
Full name of deceased
Date of death
Place of death (e.g. name of hospital or nursing home, home address)

My name is Lindsay I am a full time wife to Nick 10-21-08 and full time mommy to Cadence, Irie and Isis

#124 of 178 Old 08-28-2008, 09:22 PM

I've been putting together content for the Homebirth-USA website, including information on how to obtain a birth certificate in each state. I'm missing only a very few (and hope to fill those in soon). This board has been really helpful for some states, and for others, I've been able to dig up the actual laws guiding registration (so you know if you have a finicky clerk who's just giving you a hard time). Anyway, here's a link to the page: http://www.homebirth-usa.org/baby/birth-cert.html.

Happy birthing!
Jessica
#125 of 178 Old 09-01-2008, 07:38 PM

Anyone have any info about Iowa?

I'm not preg, but I'm planning on UC in the future.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#126 of 178 Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 PM

Anyone know about Alaska?

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#127 of 178 Old 09-13-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
Anyone have any info about Iowa?

I'm not preg, but I'm planning on UC in the future.
I would like to know this too.
#128 of 178 Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM

Here is my experience from MISSOURI (MO):

The week our daughter was born, my DH called the local health department in Boone County, MO and the lady there said he just needed to come in and fill out the appropriate form, then mail it in to the state's Burea of Vital Statistics for processing. He got several copies of the form and it basically had all the details of the birth in the regular format like the hospitals use. We sent it in, but they sent it back saying that we had not filled out the right form; we needed one that was identical, but had a place on the back for two people to sign and have notorized that the facts on the document were true.

The two people didn't have to be actual witnesses to the birth, just people who knew that the facts were true (I had a baby, had been pregnant, etc.). My mother-in-law and brother-in-law signed it and sent it in for me.

That was it.

My husband didn't even have to present photo id, proof of pregnancy, the baby or anything. It was actually a little too easy! Not that I'm complaining, it just seems like any Joe Schmo off the street could walk in and register a birth that didn't actually happen. We got her Social Security card within about four weeks of birth and I got went and paid $15 for a copy of her BC at the local health department recently (2 months of age). She's all set.

Note: Have a baby in Boone County!!!
#129 of 178 Old 10-06-2008, 04:17 PM

I found the information for Jefferson and Boone Counties Missouri, but does anyone know if it varies from county to county? Currently we're planning a move to Howell county.

Though there is a TINY chance things could change and we'll end up near Hastings, NE in Adams County. So I need to find the info for that county too.
#130 of 178 Old 10-06-2008, 05:34 PM

My UC was unplanned so I went through different hoops... but from what I gathered when they misunderstood me...

California -San Bernardino County

Call Vital Records and request an Out of Hospital Birth Packet, fill out & return, then schedule an appointment to meet with someone from Vital Records.

From what I gathered, once that packet is turned in and you have your appointment, you will get a birth certificate.
#131 of 178 Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrojala View Post
We just called the MN Dept. of Health, they sent an out of hospital birth packet- and you fill it out. Your 'proof of pregnancy' can be an affidavit that is noterised stating mama was pg. and in the state of MN when she delivered a live infant (this is what we did- they include the sheet in the OutOfHospitalBirthPacket) OR you can have a note with Dr.'s or clinic's letterhead comfirming pregnancy. We did all this 2 weeks after the birth, but I am sure you can get the packet before. Easy cheesy...
Ooooh, YAY! Very helpful, thank you!:
#132 of 178 Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 PM

This is what we had to go through in Texas:

We needed:
2 utility bills
Parent's license & SS card (they made copies of ours)
1 notarized letter from friend or medical personnel proving pregnancy
1 proof of birth record (had mw come out and check out baby, though I think a letter from friends would work. Please do your research on that because I don't remember.)
2 notarized letters from friends or family stating: they knew we planned a homebirth, they knew the child was born at home, date and time of birth, parents' names, child's name, our address, AND a photocopy of the letter-writer's photo ID. Yes, even though it is notarized.

The copy of the picture ID was NOT listed as necessary in anything we found online, but it WAS listed on the paperwork the registrar was going through. We asked to look at it. Sure enough, black & white, NOTARIZED letter AND copy of their photo ID.

Getting the letters done was actually a huge pain in the butt because it meant our friends had to do this unnecessary running around and then we had to coordinate and get the letters from them. It was a real chore.

We almost had to go through Austin (State) for it instead of San Antonio (County & City) because we only had the photo ID of ONE person writing the letter, but when the registrar called Austin they ok'd it because we had one person's photo ID, at least.

Quite a lot of CRAP for such a simple thing.

Oh, one bonus is that along with filing for the birth cert, the SS card is filed for at the same time. We'll get that in the mail in about 6 wks.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#133 of 178 Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM

I am in Serbia, so I guess nobody will benefit from my info, but I am hoping for some practical advice. In preparation for my upcoming labor I have just looked up the requirements to register a birth in the municipality where I live. It's a different list to the municipality I was in for my last birth, and it kind of worried me. You need:

(Listed on their website in this order)

1. Confirmation from the hospital or relevant "health authority" about the birth.

2. Birth certificate of both parents.

3. Confirmation of citizenship for both parents.

4. Marriage cert if parents are married.

5. Valid ID.

6. If the need exists for this, the registrar may request additional documentation.

Obviously I am worried by points 1 and 6 here. Point 1 is sure going to be a hassle, and as for point 6... judging from other UC mom's horror stories here, they can basically request any silly thing they like, delaying the registration of birth indefinitely.

Do you have any practical thoughts on this? Other than just hoping for the best, one other thought has crossed my mind. At my last birth they pretty much didn't cause any problem, and that address is still in my ID card now. What do you think about going to my old municipality, where the same registrars are still working, and telling I gave birth again there? It would make the paperwork 100 percent easier, but it's a lie, and therefor sure to be breaking the law.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#134 of 178 Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 AM

We are planning a homebirth with a midwife in KY, which I have been told is illegal, so will we have to file for the birth certificate as if it was unassisted?
#135 of 178 Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM

Anyone in Canada have info on UC birth and certs?

We have Alberta already.

Thanks.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#136 of 178 Old 12-17-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Momma View Post
We are planning a homebirth with a midwife in KY, which I have been told is illegal, so will we have to file for the birth certificate as if it was unassisted?
Now, keep in mind that my son was born in 2001.....

We had a homebirth with a midwife in Christian County, KY. She filled out the birth certificate for us, signed it, and we received his birth certificate with no problems. I think that because there is a large Amish population in Christian County, they are used to midwife attended births, and don't bat an eye.
#137 of 178 Old 12-20-2008, 06:09 PM

Anybody out there know what is required for Alaska?
#138 of 178 Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 AM

This was really helpful, i dont really know how long you have to do it, i have been taking so long to do it because i just didnt know how. thank you for this information

Shannon
#139 of 178 Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Thanks you for posing the information about Oregon. Has anyone had a UC in oregon? How did it go? Thanks again!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#140 of 178 Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 PM

I sent several emails to the Louisiana Department of Vital Statistics and eventually got this back..

Dear customer: Please call to discuss this matter with me. My contact information is a as follows: 504-219-4492.
Thanks
Sadie Moses/Birth Acceptance Manager

Hope it helps a little.

Mama to 01/2008 and anxiously awaiting due July 2011
#141 of 178 Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM

This is our experience with getting a birth certificate in Nevada, Clark County.

Firstly, we put it off for almost 4 years. After 4 years, you have to go through the state capitol and it's a delayed birth certificate. I don't have experience with that.

Here is a list of what they wanted me to have:
*2 notarized witness letters (the letters said they knew I was pregnant, and were told of the birth, which occurred at [address] and [time & date], and they saw the baby shortly afterward)
*2 bills that proved we lived at the residence
*paycheck stubs
*doctor or midwife records for prenatal care and newborn check
*parents' driver's licenses
*parents' social security cards

There are some other things that you could use that I can't remember right now. You can call the office of vital statistics to get the full list.

However, we did not have any doctor or midwife records and they didn't say anything about that. We also did not have any paycheck stubs, due to an oversight on my part. I had just forgotten they were part of the list. She seemed a bit annoyed about that, but asked if we had older children that were in the system. I have two older daughters who were both born in hospitals, so she looked them up and said that having other children in the system helps. So she overlooked our not having the paycheck stubs. That may have also helped with not having the doctor or midwife records as well, but I'm not sure, as the only thing she said about that was, so you didn't have any prenatal care or see a doctor or a midwife, I said no, she moved on.

Anyway, after that we just filled out the homebirth paperwork, she typed it all up, and within about a half an hour we had a birth certificate. The woman we worked with was overall very nice and only raised an eyebrow at the fact that we put it off for so long. And even that was in a mostly jesting manner. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and apparently I had nothing to be nervous about, which is probably why I kept putting it off.

Also, part of the paperwork we filled out was a box to check giving them permission to send info for the s.s. card, so that was taken care of as well.
#142 of 178 Old 02-04-2009, 09:44 PM

What do I say when I call vital statics, how do I word that I'm having a UC and need to file for SS and birth certificate?

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#143 of 178 Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
What do I say when I call vital statics, how do I word that I'm having a UC and need to file for SS and birth certificate?
If you call and say your are "GOING" to have a UC, they will get all confused and insist that your doctor, hospital, or MW will take care of it.

But, if you call and say you DID have a home birth with no outside attendent present, they should be able to tell you what you will have to do to get a BC. I don't give my name at this stage, and always speak of the birth in the past tense, whether or not it has happened yet. Some places want to mail you a package, but most will just give you a list of information you need and a place to take it or send it.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#144 of 178 Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Here's information that I just received for South Carolina:

By SC law a birth must be registered within 5 days of the date of
birth. To register an unattended birth outside of a facility, we must
have proof of pregnancy, proof of live birth and proof of residence at
the location where the child was born. Parents must also complete
worksheets to provide identifying and medical information regarding the
birth. Please contact Dolores Hitesman (803-898-3620) to obtain these
forms. If it is not possible to provide the information listed below,
there is an option of having three friends or neighbors complete a birth
verification form, have it notarized and return to our office. All
information provided is subject to verification. If none of these can
be satisfied, the state vital records office can not register the birth
administratively and the parents must go to court to establish the birth
record.

proof of pregnancy - Provide official prenatal care records from
licensed medical doctor or midwife; OR letter on facility letterhead
from licensed medical doctor or midwife verifying the pregnancy.

proof of residence - If the birth occurred at the mother’s residence,
furnish a power, gas, or water bill that covers the time frame when the
birth occurred. The copy of the bill must show the name of the utility
company, the physical address of the residence where service is
provided, and the name of the mother or father (if he is listed on the
birth certificate).

proof of live birth - Provide a letter on letterhead of a licensed
medical doctor or licensed mid-wife (unrelated to you or your family)
who arrived immediately following birth, has treated, given shots to or
performed lab work on the child since birth.
OR
If the child has been taken to the county health department for shots
or any other treatment, provide a statement from the county health
department to verify the child has been seen by a nurse or medical
doctor (unrelated to you or your family). The statement must be on
county health department letterhead and signed by an official of the
county health department.

Shae R. Sutton, Ph.D.
Director, Division of Biostatistics
Public Health Statistics and Information Services
SC Department of Health and Environmental Control
803-898-1808

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#145 of 178 Old 02-11-2009, 05:14 PM

I had my daughter at home unassisted on 01-21-09 in Livonia, MI (Wayne County).

I initially went to the City Clerk's office when DD was 6 days old. The woman helping me (who was rude, I might add! ) didn't know what to do, so she had to call Lansing (State Capital). The person on the other line told her that they would have to mail "worksheets" to the City Clerk's office and that I needed some sort of documentation signed by a physician (unclear!). I was told to return later in the week.

I returned when DD was 2 weeks old. I brought a facesheet from the pediatrician that she signed, my own (home made) prenatal chart, and lab results from my last pap test that happened to state my LMP and "Pregnant". I filled out the worksheet, and picked up the birth certificate the next day!

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#146 of 178 Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroranshine View Post
Apparently, they're very cooperative... well, at least they have info on the website.
http://www.rivcovitalrecords.org/nh_birth.html
They seem to have redone their site, as the listed link no longer works. This is the new one.

Poly sahm of 4 girls, 1 boy, and 1 surprise due 12/24/10!
#147 of 178 Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 AM

Does anybody know about New Mexico? I haven't seen or heard of anybody going unassisted here...
#148 of 178 Old 02-25-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitap View Post
Does anybody know about New Mexico? I haven't seen or heard of anybody going unassisted here...
Haha oops... I'm new here and didn't realize there was like 8 or 9 pages of responses... lol but if anybody has anymore info please let me know!
#149 of 178 Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitap View Post
I have UCed in NM.

I called the department of records in Santa Fe, they mailed me a form to fill out and a list of documents to supply (proof of residence, of pregnancy, of live birth, and of who I was-I believe that was all), I mailed it back to them and recieved the BC within a couple of weeks.

No problems at all. But it had to be done in Santa Fe, and since I did not live there, I had to mail it in. (I much prefer doing it in person.)

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#150 of 178 Old 03-28-2009, 07:58 PM

I'm in the process of getting my DD's birth registered here in Pueblo County Colorado. Had to go to the Health Department (WIC office) and make an appointment. Have to bring in at least 3 pieces of info showing I've lived here for 3 months prior to the birth, as many things as possible proving the pregnancy (such as medical records - good thing I went to the ER early in pregnancy after all!), and the baby. When I first went in they had NO idea what to do. They could not believe I DELIBERATELY gave birth at home, alone. The look on their faces was priceless!

Anyway... I also just found this little piece of info online at http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/certs/vrfaqs.html

Quote:
Birth certificates must be filed with the local registrar within 10 days after birth. Or, if the birth certificate is filed electronically, filed directly with the Office of State Registrar. Death and fetal death certificates must be filed with the local registrar within five days.
But DD3 will be over 3 weeks old at the appointment, so I'm thinking they don't go by that restriction very strictly. At least not here in Pueblo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page