UCer's becoming doulas/midwifes - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 95 Old 09-23-2008, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
But see...that's just it. Midwives don't have to put their hands inside another woman during her labor or birth. They don't have to be the expert and diagnose or examine. They can be that person offering support and friendship, massage and clean-up. This is my vision of a midwife.
And also to take the role of getting the husband to agree to homebirth.

Right now, I know a few women who, although the desire to birth at home have husbands that are completely against it . . . husbands that might be swayed if there were practicing midwives around . . .
#92 of 95 Old 09-24-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
But see...that's just it. Midwives don't have to put their hands inside another woman during her labor or birth. They don't have to be the expert and diagnose or examine. They can be that person offering support and friendship, massage and clean-up. This is my vision of a midwife.

They can also fill a roll of helping in case of an emergency...because emergencies DO happen. They are RARE, but they happen. And I, for one, would much rather have a midwife on stand-by to help in case of an emergency instead of having to go to the hospital. I would rather a midwife suture me in case of tears instead of having to go to the hospital. I would want a midwife's one-on-one care throughout the postpartum period if needed, instead of having to see a doctor. Unfortunately, most midwives won't fill that roll (if you did not birth with them) due to liability. That's why I'd like to be a midwife, though. To fill that roll of support person who can offer further skills in case of emergency, and to be there for UCers who would like additional care.
I really think it depends on your state, and the legality of midwifery. If you want to be a 'legal' midwife, there are some things that you HAVE to do or your license can be yanked - and I do believe that a certain minimum of monitoring during labor is one of those things in MANY states. If you want to be an 'illegal' midwife, of course, you can do what you and the mother want - but you also have to be willing to face the legal repercussions of that, if it comes down to it because the State can prosecute you for 'practicing medicine without a license'. And, of course, if you aren't a 'legal' midwife, going to the hospital with a mother in the case of an emergency may actually hurt rather than help. :

The line between being able to fully honor the mothers wishes and still remain within the legal guidelines is starting to creep and eat away at midwives autonomy and independence - and that, for me has become the largest reason why I wouldn't want to be a midwife anymore. I don't think - at least not in Tn. - I could practice free of any higher guidelines besides - what serves mother best? without concerning myself about being involved in legal battles.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#93 of 95 Old 09-24-2008, 04:30 PM

When I was pregnant, I thought, "Hey, it'd be cool to be a doula/midwife."

Then I had a baby.

I was in labor for a long time and if I had had a professional of any type there, I would have using them as a crutch, asking them, "I'm feeling this--- is that ok?" instead of listening to my body.

I really think you find a new piece of yourself when you're up against labor and you have to do it yourself. I have chosen not to go the route of birth professional because I don't want to keep other women from finding that part of themselves. I don't want to be their crutch- I want them to do it on their own. That's what is so empowering about UC.

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
#94 of 95 Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHat View Post
When I was pregnant, I thought, "Hey, it'd be cool to be a doula/midwife."

Then I had a baby.

I was in labor for a long time and if I had had a professional of any type there, I would have using them as a crutch, asking them, "I'm feeling this--- is that ok?" instead of listening to my body.

I really think you find a new piece of yourself when you're up against labor and you have to do it yourself. I have chosen not to go the route of birth professional because I don't want to keep other women from finding that part of themselves. I don't want to be their crutch- I want them to do it on their own. That's what is so empowering about UC.
I differ on this opinion. If more laid back mw's aren't going to be 'around', then most likely people will actually have the opposite of UC... highly medicalized birth. It's not like women will magically come to the realization of UC like we all did. I think it would be awesome to support a mother to birth how she chose. Maybe after she had an experience with a hands off MW, she would want a UC next time. But I do not ever believe that all women should UC. It's not for everyone, yk?
#95 of 95 Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 AM

You know, that's why I wanted to UC with the first. I wanted to figure out how to do it on my own before letting anyone else stick their nose in it. I'm still planning to UC #2, but the idea of having a midwife doesn't freak me out nearly as much.

With my daughter our UC ended with assistance. We got all the way to pushing, then labor stalled, we freaked out and called 911. After that, I lost all control and all knowledge of what was happening. I feel comfortable and confident about labor, but I still feel a bit of confusion and lack of knowledge about birth itself even though I birthed my daughter.

I feel like even thought a midwife would be very different from a paramedic, if I had allowed someone else to interfere with the rest of my birthing experience I wouldn't have learned to birth- I would have only learned to trust my midwife to help me birth.

When I become a doula I plan to be a support only. I will not give advice or suggestions for anything related to figuring it out. I want to help a mom stay calm, to find a comfortable position, to give her things she needs (water, compresses, etc.) and to be a part of that beautiful experience. I do not want to interfere with the process or to tell her what to do or how to do it- and I plan to make that quite clear when I'm interviewed by a potential client.

I'd love to be known as a doula that works with UC familes without compromising the tenants and point of UCing. I want to take on the role of trusted friend, gopher, support- not of guide, teacher or instructor.

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page