Help/Advice - Newborn with Eye Discharge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-22-2007, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I just had a baby boy via UC on 11/20. Everything is going really well, generally. We have a pediatrician who is very naturally minded and supportive of our choices. We've scheduled his first check-up for Monday and she's out of town for the holiday. Otherwise, we'd just go there.

Anyway, yesterday, we noticed extra sleep in Bastian's eye. It's not weeping and it's not when he's awake, but when he sleep, his eyes goop up. The longer he sleeps, the more the goop. When he wakes up, they looks gunky. We rinse them with warm water and put some breastmilk in his eyes. The gunk doesn't seem to bother him, it's not weeping, it's not yellow, it doesn't smell funny (yes, we did some googling) and, like I said, it's only when he sleeps. It worries me a bit, but I don't really want to take him in to see a stranger and have possible issues due to the UC for something that's not a big deal. Obviously, if it is a big deal, we'd bite the bullet.

Just in case any of it matters, he was born in the caul. When his water did break, as he slid out, he gulp in a big breath. His breathing was mucusy for the first day, but we didn't suction or anything. I nursed him more often upright and now his breathing is fine. I wasn't sure if that could be related or not. Oh, also, it was a waterbirth, so we were both in the birth soup that included pretty much all of my body fluids.

So, anyone that has any input or similar experiences, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd really prefer not to take him in before Monday, but obviously we will if it worsens significantly.

Sarah

EDIT:
Sounds like a blocked tear duct. Thanks so much for the quick responses!

Sarah
aspiring midwife Mama to Declan - 7/14/00 and Bastian - 11/20/07.
#2 of 10 Old 11-22-2007, 12:01 PM

ODS had that. All his was is blocked tear ducts. The reason it builds up like that when they are sleeping is they are not blinking and it has no where else to go so it builds up on the lash line. They told me just to gently wash it away with a warm cloth and not to pick or force his eyes open..
#3 of 10 Old 11-22-2007, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello! Sounds to me very much like blocked tear ducts. Very common, and if you treat it properly fairly harmless. Here's a link to dr sears' web site's info on it: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t110239.asp

Congrats on your little one!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 10 Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 PM

: You'll be fine waiting for the pediatrician, don't worry and just enjoy your baby. Of course if the eyes start looking irritated, i.e., red, or the gunk turns green, take him in. But blocked tear ducts are relatively common and aren't harmful.
#5 of 10 Old 11-22-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the quick replies and the article I didn't realize it was so common. I've never seen or heard of it before. We'll just keep treating it at home and ask about it on Monday if it's still there.

Sarah
aspiring midwife Mama to Declan - 7/14/00 and Bastian - 11/20/07.
#6 of 10 Old 11-22-2007, 12:47 PM

DD had this, the blocked tear ducts, until she was about 4 months old. They were never red, they just gooped up when she slept, or when she got really upset. We just got into the routine of wiping her eyes out everytime she woke up, and then one day it was gone!

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#7 of 10 Old 11-22-2007, 10:59 PM

It could be a blocked tear duct. DS had one and it went away on its own.
#8 of 10 Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 AM

My dd had a blocked tear duct which took months to clear up. We were never given meds for it, just a wait and see thing. It was about 9 months before I noticed I wasn't cleaning it anymore. It showed up within 2-3 days of her birth.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#9 of 10 Old 11-24-2007, 03:48 AM

My son had this off and on from the time he was a few days old until he was almost a year old. We got antibiotics (an ointment) for it when he was 5 days old and cleared it up that way, but when it kept recurring and didn't seem to bother him, we quit giving the antibiotics to him. We did give him antibiotics a couple of times when he got really sick and it turned green like green snot. That only really happened when my breastmilk dried up from being pregnant again and I had to give him formula for a while. I tried putting breastmilk in his eyes too, but I'm not sure if it helped.
#10 of 10 Old 11-24-2007, 03:09 PM

two of my boys had blocked tear ducts, Cayman is just starting to outgrow his. One thing that has helped when the discharge is looking infected based on color is cleaning his eyes with breastmilk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page